ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach...

Bennett competes in and wins the nation's best conference regularly with less talent than his competition. Tells me he's a pretty damn good coach.

But even more importantly at the moment, he's far more likely to be clean than Mack. Bennett doesn't usually pursue top shelf recruits...

[BTW, there are FOUR HOF coaches in aforesaid conference, and they individually had more raw talent than Bennett each year...]

I agree that Bennett is a hell of a coach. But given that baseline, the data suggests Mack is as well.

So was Pitino.
Ironically, he was probably cleaner than most of his contemporaries. He was simply a rube when it came to landing good recruits.

But he's in the rear view mirror... You guys advocating your flavor-of-the month coaches don't have a clue whether they're clean or not...

Reactions: wilkie01
I agree that Bennett is a hell of a coach. But given that baseline, the data suggests Mack is as well.
What is there about the word "clean" that you don't understand? Or is it that you just don't care? Do you want the clown show walking into another mess? One they can't blame on their predecessors?...

What is there about the word "clean" that you don't understand? Or is it that you just don't care? Do you want the clown show walking into another mess? One they can't blame on their predecessors?...

Who the hell knows who is”clean”? Until there is something other than vague Pete Thamel reports about coaches and the infamous numbered coaches from the FBI, we can use the known data to decide who is a worthy coach. It seems that former Indiana Mr Basketball Kyle Guy was a great pickup for UVA. Does that make him unclean?

Ironically, he was probably cleaner than most of his contemporaries. He was simply a rube when it came to landing good recruits.

But he's in the rear view mirror... You guys advocating your flavor-of-the month coaches don't have a clue whether they're clean or not...
You guys? Who have I advocated?

Who the hell knows who is”clean”? Until there is something other than vague Pete Thamel reports about coaches and the infamous numbered coaches from the FBI, we can use the known data to decide who is a worthy coach. It seems that former Indiana Mr Basketball Kyle Guy was a great pickup for UVA. Does that make him unclean?
"Known data"?...LOL! You should apply for an NCAA job. They're gonna need help...

And exactly why is that important in a thread on identifying a new coach?...
My involvement in this thread started when you started talking about clean coaches and claiming I have advocated for a particular hire which I have not.

My involvement in this thread started when you started talking about clean coaches and claiming I have advocated for a particular hire which I have not.
No, you mysteriously brought Pitino into a discussion that had nothing to do with him...and are now trying to justify it.

You need to get over Rick. He's put you in the past...

No, you mysteriously brought Pitino into a discussion that had nothing to do with him...and are now trying to justify it.

You need to get over Rick. He's put you in the past...
I think you need to get over Rick, Jurich and Ramsey.

First of all any in demand hot coach will not want the job of starting from scratch at Louisville. Be honest Pitino players cannot beat thier way out of a wet paper bag right now. Until the coach issue is settle no hot players are coming to the Ville either! We may bot have gotten "the death penalty", but the NCAA has sure as hell killed the program for the time being.

First of all any in demand hot coach will not want the job of starting from scratch at Louisville. Be honest Pitino players cannot beat thier way out of a wet paper bag right now. Until the coach issue is settle no hot players are coming to the Ville either! We may bot have gotten "the death penalty", but the NCAA has sure as hell killed the program for the time being.
UK got Pitino when things looked bleak as hell for their program. I believe our program is still very attractive to a ton of coaches. Don’t sell our program short. There may be some storm damage but our foundation is strong!

Brad Stevens, Billy D, and Tony Bennett. Jay Wright as well although the question of safety is in play...

I mean realistic home run hires.

Celtics and OKC are top tier teams in the NBA, so Stevens and Billy D are not realistic.

Tony Bennett has never been to a FF, so I would not consider him a home run hire.

Jay Wright - I've heard his name, haven't followed him all that closely but I believe he is a NOVA Alum? I would consider him a home-run hire though just unsure how realistic of an option he is....

I appreciate the list though!

I mean realistic home run hires...
I intentionally don't submit my candidates in that category to a probability test anymore than a batter (besides Babe Ruth) predicts when he's gonna hit a home run. It's known as "swinging for the fences" for good reason.

The bigger reason however is to keep from dummy-ing down the task. Because Vince Tyra is doing the hiring under tough circumstances isn't cause for me to lower the bar. Jurich faced the same challenge in 2001 hiring a coach into a losing CUSA basketball program. And as we know, he landed Pitino. Let his successor prove whether he can similarly hit a home run, and he'll start to win over skeptics like me...

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

You may as well add Coach K to your list if you're adding Stevens and Donovan. Perhaps we can lure Jesus Christ.
You can put K on that list as well, but I kinda used Jurich as the discriminator... Is there anyone on my list I don't think Juricjh would have pursued because he had no shot? No. He would have picked his guy and put 100% effort into pursuing him. Basically, he did that with Pitino against equal or longer odds.

And I'm not lowering expectations because I have someone I perceive as a lightweight in the AD's job. That's what the clown show wants you to do. They need to size up the challenge, measure up, or hit the road. Unless you're OK being a middling ACC team that rolls the dice with its coaching hires...

I'm not sure what Jurich has to do with it, he's gone.

As a fan I hope they pursue strong candidates, of course.

But I'd rather they didn't go after pipe dreams and turn the search into a mess - we've seen that at other places.

I do think the other two guys you listed - Bennett, and maybe Wright were sensible, and guys I'd certainly consider to be good hires.

Will be very interesting to see who gets interviewed!

I'm not sure what Jurich has to do with it, he's gone.

As a fan I hope they pursue strong candidates, of course.

But I'd rather they didn't go after pipe dreams and turn the search into a mess - we've seen that at other places.

I do think the other two guys you listed - Bennett, and maybe Wright were sensible, and guys I'd certainly consider to be good hires.

Will be very interesting to see who gets interviewed!
Anybody but Bennett - see “paint drying”.

You may as well add Coach K to your list if you're adding Stevens and Donovan. Perhaps we can lure Jesus Christ.
Both Stevens & Donovan are big-time longshots, BUT - you make the call. It takes 5-15 minutes each. No interest, then move on.

I aimed high when I asked a girl out once. She said “yes” and I landed a “10” I later married. Swing for the fences! If you married a “4” that’s your own damn fault!

I’ll contend this, as good as Walz has done I wish Jurich had taken a hard run at Geno years ago. You never know, and if we’d landed Geno nobody would even notice that a banner was taken down!

In reality ...if a coach was implicated but not too heavily involved in this fbi thing, why would that stop us from hiring him? If that many coaches are involved then everyone is doing it and it becomes a wash.

Pitino was fire because this was the third scandal in 5 years with him. it was the last straw.

how come Davenport is never mentioned as a candidate?

In reality ...if a coach was implicated but not too heavily involved in this fbi thing, why would that stop us from hiring him? If that many coaches are involved then everyone is doing it and it becomes a wash.

Pitino was fire because this was the third scandal in 5 years with him. it was the last straw.

how come Davenport is never mentioned as a candidate?
He’s a helluva coach, BUT he’s about 60-62 years old and a D-II coach. Not a good combo for our future!

I'm not sure what Jurich has to do with it, he's gone...
Oh I don't know... Maybe because he was widely renowned as the best in the business. If I have to benchmark my AD getting the job done, which one should I choose? The guy whom I became pretty familiar with the last 20 years or someone I barely know? I really think some of our fans believe the basketball coach hires himself.

But here's the bigger issue... Hiring coaches the way we were accustomed to the last two decades is a big reason why U of L athletics are where they are. When you forget how you got here, you're starting down the path of "de-emphasizing" athletics whether you recognize that or not. I doubt that's what you want...

Anybody but Bennett - see “paint drying”.
I can live with a coach who has my team at or challenging for the top of the ACC. We should be so unlucky.

If you have a team beating Carolina, Duke, and LPT regularly, you're not gonna care a lot about style of play. Some of Pitino's best teams hunkered down and would grind out games. Go back and watch them...

Oh I don't know... Maybe because he was widely renowned as the best in the business. If I have to benchmark my AD getting the job done, which one should I choose? The guy whom I became pretty familiar with the last 20 years or someone I barely know? I really think some of our fans believe the basketball coach hires himself.

But here's the bigger issue... Hiring coaches the way we were accustomed to the last two decades is a big reason why U of L athletics are where they are. When you forget how you got here, you're starting down the path of "de-emphasizing" athletics whether you recognize that or not. I doubt that's what you want...

I'm not sure why you are lecturing me and providing me the cliff's notes of Jurich's accomplishments. I thought we were talking about predicting the next coach - the future. Jurich is in the past. Or did he get put back on the payroll?

I'm not sure why you are lecturing me and providing me the cliff's notes of Jurich's accomplishments. I thought we were talking about predicting the next coach - the future. Jurich is in the past. Or did he get put back on the payroll?
You asked the question, and I'm sorry if you saw my answer as "lecturing". That question was the relevancy of Jurich/the AD.

You're correct that the original question is about the next coach. My cut on that mostly disregards probability and considers anyone whose name has been surfaced in connection with the job. That's more or less what the OP did with the coaches at the top of his list.

Someone can respond that those coaches are unlikely, but that's kinda the "Captain Obvious" reaction. And I'm adding that the AD I want permanently at U of L and the guy I'm accustomed to pursues those coaches anyway...

I intentionally don't submit my candidates in that category to a probability test anymore than a batter (besides Babe Ruth) predicts when he's gonna hit a home run. It's known as "swinging for the fences" for good reason.

The bigger reason however is to keep from dummy-ing down the task. Because Vince Tyra is doing the hiring under tough circumstances isn't cause for me to lower the bar. Jurich faced the same challenge in 2001 hiring a coach into a losing CUSA basketball program. And as we know, he landed Pitino. Let his successor prove whether he can similarly hit a home run, and he'll start to win over skeptics like me...

Who was the home run hire in football...don't remember Jurich getting any coaches from a power five confernce. Looking back at it...was Pitino a good hire...our program is worse than it was when he took over.

Who was the home run hire in football...don't remember Jurich getting any coaches from a power five confernce. Looking back at it...was Pitino a good hire...our program is worse than it was when he took over.
Evaluating Pitino now is the same thing as evaluating K-rag in 2010. No one questioned those hires in 2001 and 2007, respectively. Hindsight's 20-20, and nobody has a crystal ball.

We've had two home run hires in the major sports that some of us can recall, Pitino and Schnellenberger in 1984. So saying it can't be done is selling yourself short esp. considering that you're now a P5 program (at least unless the clown show takes us all the way down...) Surely to God, Postel and Tyra can do the job that Donald Swain and Bill Olsen did in the mid-80s recruiting The Pipe...

You asked the question, and I'm sorry if you saw my answer as "lecturing". That question was the relevancy of Jurich/the AD.

Not seeing the relevance since he's gone but I'm sure your rationale for mentioning him makes sense somehow, I'm a little too tired right now!

This situation is nothing like 2001.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT