ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach...

I intentionally don't submit my candidates in that category to a probability test anymore than a batter (besides Babe Ruth) predicts when he's gonna hit a home run. It's known as "swinging for the fences" for good reason.

The bigger reason however is to keep from dummy-ing down the task. Because Vince Tyra is doing the hiring under tough circumstances isn't cause for me to lower the bar. Jurich faced the same challenge in 2001 hiring a coach into a losing CUSA basketball program. And as we know, he landed Pitino. Let his successor prove whether he can similarly hit a home run, and he'll start to win over skeptics like me...

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg
Evaluating Pitino now is the same thing as evaluating K-rag in 2010. No one questioned those hires in 2001 and 2007, respectively. Hindsight's 20-20, and nobody has a crystal ball.

We've had two home run hires in the major sports that some of us can recall, Pitino and Schnellenberger in 1984. So saying it can't be done is selling yourself short esp. considering that you're now a P5 program (at least unless the clown show takes us all the way down...) Surely to God, Postel and Tyra can do the job that Donald Swain and Bill Olsen did in the mid-80s recruiting The Pipe...
I wouldn't call Pitino a home run hire. At Louisville 16 years and 0 titles while leaving the university with several NCAA violations and in shame.

Reactions: awf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT