ADVERTISEMENT

Mack not impressing

I have to agree but kids don’t always run what they’re instructed to. Regardless, just because DP beat FSU twice doesn’t mean I want him to stay. Mack has done very well @ Xavier, I think he’ll work out fine.

It's not his fault his best player had 8 points. I knew this game would give them fits. I dont remember if I've said that on this board or not, but I have told plenty of people I believed that. FSU's length gave them fits and Xavier had no answer really. FSU hit that clutch 3 to go up and got a huge defensive stop...

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
It's not his fault his best player had 8 points. I knew this game would give them fits. I dont remember if I've said that on this board or not, but I have told plenty of people I believed that. FSU's length gave them fits and Xavier had no answer really. FSU hit that clutch 3 to go up and got a huge defensive stop...
Still hope we ge him in here ASAP personally i was hoping they lose early so we wouldn't have to draw this search out now he is more than l;ikely the first choice. If he says no then we know to press on.

Any decent coach should beat Leonard Hamilton. The guy we're dumping beat him two outta three. And Padgett didn't have the benefit of a #1 seeded team. Pitiful...
Not so sure CDP is gone if we are unable to land one of 2 or 3 top targets. As you often remind us, the Clown Show is in charge.

I hate to agree with Zipp, but he has a point. If you think Mack will rescue Louisville basketball then you'll be disappointed.

Reactions: ACCCard
Guys I’d call in order:
Billy D. (Rejects offer)
Hoiberg (Rejects offer)
Jay Wright (Rejects offer)
Chris Mack (50/50)
Pick you poison of Beard, Willard (Seton Hall), Shaka, or Scotty D.

It’s a systematic approach. Shooting for the stars (NBA guys), then home run hires (Wright), then best realistic offer (Mack), then back up plans (the pack). Padgett is too green to start this career here after the interim year.

Reactions: STLNBSE
By this same reasoning, if Roy Williams were available, we would not be interested.

It's a really F'd up tourney this year.

Using your logic it wasn’t DP fault we last to UVA, because it’s on the players. So using that logic we could hire just about any coach and it would always or more time than not the players fault.

He was a number one seed and didn’t get past the first week; plus he lost the BE tournament. So, just what did he do? Count me as not impressed.

As long as we’re giving passes, why not keep CDP?

Last edited:
By this same reasoning, if Roy Williams were available, we would not be interested.

It's a really F'd up tourney this year.

Really that’s your argument? A multi time NC winning HOF coach compared to a guy that’s done absolutely nothing. Lost on the first weekend, lost the BE tournament, didn’t do anything significant previously. Oh yeah his teams are good at brawls. No thanks.

Guys I’d call in order:
Billy D. (Rejects offer)
Hoiberg (Rejects offer)
Chris Mack (50/50)

It’s a systematic approach. Shooting for the stars (NBA guys), then home run hires (Wright), then best realistic offer (Mack), then back up plans (the pack). Padgett is too green to start this career here after the interim year.

I would Jay Wright at the top followed by the others. At this point I would have Beard above Mack.

But you’ve got a solid list.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I hate to agree with Zipp, but he has a point. If you think Mack will rescue Louisville basketball then you'll be disappointed.
X was hampered by an injury to Naji Marshall being limited to about 12 minutes and foul trouble with the starting guards. The loss of Marshall forced Blueitt to the 3 where FSU's athleticism caused him problems. Gooden is one heck of PG running the offense and he was a non-factor. Bad time for a bad game and certainly not a way to evaluate a coach. You need to get out more.

Reactions: landwrecker
Really that’s your argument? A multi time NC winning HOF coach compared to a guy that’s done absolutely nothing. Lost on the first weekend, lost the BE tournament, didn’t do anything significant previously. Oh yeah his teams are good at brawls. No thanks.
Yes. I would expect to hear that he is on the decline after losing by 20 today.

My point is don't judge based on performance in this tournament. Something about it is nuts.

Since, Williams is not available, that comparison is inane.

X was hampered by an injury to Naji Marshall being limited to about 12 minutes and foul trouble with the starting guards. The loss of Marshall forced Blueitt to the 3 where FSU's athleticism caused him problems. Gooden is one heck of PG running the offense and he was a non-factor. Bad time for a bad game and certainly not a way to evaluate a coach. You need to get out more.
Any good coach compared to Leonard Hamilton should be no contest. Mack may have potential, but he ain't there yet. Not the way some here salivate over him...

Any good coach compared to Leonard Hamilton should be no contest. Mack may have potential, but he ain't there yet. Not the way some here salivate over him...
Normally yes, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and them. Tonight was Leonard's night. He also ruined my trip to Louisville about a month ago.
Chris has a very fine body of work in a league with some VG coaches. My caveat was not to base things on a one game situation. Billy Clyde looked mighty good in a one game situation a few years ago and landed him a Prime Time gig. NTM how will Mack fare regarding any of the current scandals? Time will tell.

Hamilton has beaten Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, and Pitino throughout his career. That is 4 hall of famers. Hamilton is not a great coach but he does recruit very well. His teams are inconsistent because of it, he beats teams he shouldn't then turns around and losses to teams he shouldn't. Xavier got the good team unfortunately for them.

Guys I’d call in order:
Billy D. (Rejects offer)
Hoiberg (Rejects offer)
Chris Mack (50/50)

Why Hoiberg? He has less of a college resume than Mack and hasn't been great in the nba.

You sure about that? I don't see anything extraordinary.

He can finish ahead of average to fringe-Top 20 teams. I'm not granting him anymore ability than that...
They all have warts of some kind. We will have to agree to disagree. Keep up the good work.

Yes. I would expect to hear that he is on the decline after losing by 20 today.

My point is don't judge based on performance in this tournament. Something about it is nuts.

Since, Williams is not available, that comparison is inane.

Okay. You’re ignoring resumes. Williams has a resume, a history of success. So yes I can look at Williams and say it wasn’t his best coaching job. And if he was an option he would be a top candidate. He’s not an option.

Mack has no history, none. Lost to an FSU team we beat twice. Didn’t even make it to the sweet 16 as a one seed. And has done nothing in previous years.

I just don’t understand the love affair people have with him.

He might end up as the guy, but there’s plenty of good candidates.

Chris Mack has a Tom Crean resume.

The guy you guys need is Chris Beard. He learned from Bob Knight. Hes an excellent strategist.

I am wondering if we win the NIT or make it to the final game that we might want to get used to the idea of Padgett being around for awhile. Just a thought.

Roy's got a little more on his resume than the 2018 NCAA tourney. Mack, not so much...

NO, I AM NOT IGNORING RESUMES. I AM SAYING THAT PEOPLE NEED TO CONSIDER THE BIGGER PICTURE, WHICH INCLUDES RESUMES.

MY POINT IS: DON'T JUDGE MACK ONLY ON HIS PERFORMANCE IN THE TOURNAMENT. THIS TOURNAMENT IS PRETTY F'D UP THAT EVEN COACHES LIKE ROY WILLIAMS ARE LOSING BIG WHEN THEY ARE THE FAVORITE IN THE GAME.

IF YOU JUDGED MACK BASED ON XAVIER'S PERFORMANCE IN THIS GAME, YOU ARE NOT CONSIDERING THE BIGGER PICTURE. FOR EXAMPLE, UNC IS A TWO SEED AND LOST BY 20.

ALL CAPS ARE FOR EMPHASIS HERE. AFTER I POSTED THIS CLARIFICATION EARLIER, YOU DID NOT READ IT AND, THUS, CAME TO THE WRONG CONCLUSION ABOUT MY INTENT.

... AND CARDSFIRST STILL ISN'T GETTING IT.

OF COURSE, YOU CAN CONTINUE TO MAKE THE ROY WILLIAMS COMPARISON IF YOU WANT; JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE ISN'T A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL OF HIM COMING HERE. WILLIAMS AND UNC ARE JUST AN EXAMPLE OF THE BIZARRE CHARACTER OF THIS YEAR'S TOURNAMENT.

Last edited:
Chris Mack has a Tom Crean resume.

The guy you guys need is Chris Beard. He learned from Bob Knight. Hes an excellent strategist.
The Tom Crean that knocked the Cats out of the tourny???? He has a Tom Crean resume at a small private school in Cincy. Tom Crean coached at one of the most basketball crazy school in the country, with many more tools in his arsenal.

Reactions: earsky
This year the tournament is really busting brackets because so many top teams have lost. Just think how wide open it will be if the NBA does away with the age requirements. Duke, UNC and sUcK will be on an even playing field talent wise and their coaches will actually have to coach instead of relying on superior talent.

You can't compare Mack's resume with Roy Williams. Williams has only been at elite programs where recruiting top talent is easier. Mack has blue collar recruits who will probably never make the NBA. I expect most of these games to be close and bad calls and slipping on the court and causing a turnover can cost you the game.

Xavier experienced both of those issues last night. The best scenario for me would be for us to hire a top notch coach and hire Padgett as associate head coach. I like David but I don't think he is ready to be head coach of a program as big as ours.

Eric Musselman, what that guy has done in turning around a pitiful program in 3 years, beat #2 seed Cincy, is in Sweet 16 and has the hottest wife in college basketball. I'd take him just because of the "boot camp" he runs. Takes kids to Tahoe and they have to run 3miles up a mountain in a required time, team was a bunch of back biters thah really came together when he got there. All things we need. Guy is instant energy and can coach.

PSA- I think most have heard by now that Chris Mack's wife is from Louisville. If you're interested in finding out more about her, be sure to spell her name right. It's Christi Mack, not Christy Mack. Pretty important to know if searching on a work computer.

I forgot Bill Murray's son is an assistant at X. How fun would that be if Bill Murray started attending Louisville games, should Mack get hired here and bring Murray with him?

I second this. Let's just announce it already so he can start recruiting . Im happy ad hell if he's our coach.
It doesn't really matter to me. I'm a UofL fan first. I'm a UofL coach fan a distant second.

. Mack has blue collar recruits who will probably never make the NBA
I really like this. It's not as romantic as bringing in Mickey d's right and left, but some of the best teams ever to grace the courts for the Red and Black have been supported with a majority of blue collar players. Jmo, but more, not less of these kind of youngsters needed.

Reactions: Chapman123
NO, I AM NOT IGNORING RESUMES. I AM SAYING THAT PEOPLE NEED TO CONSIDER THE BIGGER PICTURE, WHICH INCLUDES RESUMES.

MY POINT IS: DON'T JUDGE MACK ONLY ON HIS PERFORMANCE IN THE TOURNAMENT. THIS TOURNAMENT IS PRETTY F'D UP THAT EVEN COACHES LIKE ROY WILLIAMS ARE LOSING BIG WHEN THEY ARE THE FAVORITE IN THE GAME.

IF YOU JUDGED MACK BASED ON XAVIER'S PERFORMANCE IN THIS GAME, YOU ARE NOT CONSIDERING THE BIGGER PICTURE. FOR EXAMPLE, UNC IS A TWO SEED AND LOST BY 20.

ALL CAPS ARE FOR EMPHASIS HERE. AFTER I POSTED THIS CLARIFICATION EARLIER, YOU DID NOT READ IT AND, THUS, CAME TO THE WRONG CONCLUSION ABOUT MY INTENT.

... AND CARDSFIRST STILL ISN'T GETTING IT.

OF COURSE, YOU CAN CONTINUE TO MAKE THE ROY WILLIAMS COMPARISON IF YOU WANT; JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE ISN'T A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL OF HIM COMING HERE. WILLIAMS AND UNC ARE JUST AN EXAMPLE OF THE BIZARRE CHARACTER OF THIS YEAR'S TOURNAMENT.
I'M NOT JUDGING THE CHRIS MACK HIRE BASED ON THIS LOSS. I WASN'T IN SUPPORT OF HIRING HIM BEFORE THAT LOSS. ALL WATCHING THAT GAME DID WAS CONFIRM MY OPINION.

MACK'S RESUME COMPARED TO ROY WILLIAMS IS NO COMPARISON. THOSE TWO LOSSES HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.

HOPE ALL CAPS WORKS AS WELL FOR ME AS IT DID FOR YOU! :p

This year the tournament is really busting brackets because so many top teams have lost. Just think how wide open it will be if the NBA does away with the age requirements. Duke, UNC and sUcK will be on an even playing field talent wise and their coaches will actually have to coach instead of relying on superior talent.

You can't compare Mack's resume with Roy Williams. Williams has only been at elite programs where recruiting top talent is easier. Mack has blue collar recruits who will probably never make the NBA. I expect most of these games to be close and bad calls and slipping on the court and causing a turnover can cost you the game.

Xavier experienced both of those issues last night. The best scenario for me would be for us to hire a top notch coach and hire Padgett as associate head coach. I like David but I don't think he is ready to be head coach of a program as big as ours.
The best scenario is to hire a coach and not push an assistant on him to hire! As I’ve stated before that didn’t work out too well for Steve Kragthorpe and Jeff Brohm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT