ADVERTISEMENT

Mack not impressing

This year the tournament is really busting brackets because so many top teams have lost. Just think how wide open it will be if the NBA does away with the age requirements. Duke, UNC and sUcK will be on an even playing field talent wise and their coaches will actually have to coach instead of relying on superior talent.

You can't compare Mack's resume with Roy Williams. Williams has only been at elite programs where recruiting top talent is easier. Mack has blue collar recruits who will probably never make the NBA. I expect most of these games to be close and bad calls and slipping on the court and causing a turnover can cost you the game.

Xavier experienced both of those issues last night. The best scenario for me would be for us to hire a top notch coach and hire Padgett as associate head coach. I like David but I don't think he is ready to be head coach of a program as big as ours.
The best scenario is to hire a coach and not push an assistant on him to hire! As I’ve stated before that didn’t work out too well for Steve Kragthorpe and Jeff Brohm.

I hope DP gets a team of his own. I would like to see him back here someday as the permanent HC.

I'M NOT JUDGING THE CHRIS MACK HIRE BASED ON THIS LOSS. I WASN'T IN SUPPORT OF HIRING HIM BEFORE THAT LOSS. ALL WATCHING THAT GAME DID WAS CONFIRM MY OPINION.

MACK'S RESUME COMPARED TO ROY WILLIAMS IS NO COMPARISON. THOSE TWO LOSSES HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.

HOPE ALL CAPS WORKS AS WELL FOR ME AS IT DID FOR YOU! :p

Apparently, it didn't work. You still think I don't know the difference between their resumes.

If you weren't judging solely on that loss, then, my comment was not directed at you. I don't know enough about Mack to judge him, but I am not going to judge him based on one loss.

I don't have a favorite choice, but I know I did not want Crean or Matta. I haven't followed your posts close enough to know this: who is your favorite, and what are our chances of landing him?

...I don't have a favorite choice, but I know I did not want Crean or Matta. I haven't followed your posts close enough to know this: who is your favorite, and what are our chances of landing him?
From the beginning, I've wanted them to try for a marquee coach: Stevens, Donovan, Wright, or Bennett. It's a longshot with any of them, but that defines a home run hire. If you don't get your guy, you drop down to the Chris Macks of the world...

From the beginning, I've wanted them to try for a marquee coach: Stevens, Donovan, Wright, or Bennett. It's a longshot with any of them, but that defines a home run hire. If you don't get your guy, you drop down to the Chris Macks of the world...

So you want Bennett? Yikes. If I we're Virginia I'd be looking for a way to cut ties. Honestly.

Bennett's record the last five years against the six best ACC teams next to UVA: 32-12.

That's Duke, Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse, ND, and Miami. Considering UVA's talent, that's damn good coaching. Probably the best on display anywhere...

Bennett has not been to a Final Four he is not a marquee coach.

Quit referencing games rigged by the ACC brass. Reference his record with unbiased refs where it matters the most. He's mediocre at best using the criteria that counts.

Reactions: GoldCard
Agree with going for the big name coach with the exception of Bennett - NO THANKS TO THAT BORING STYLE!

Mack is 10-7 in tourney. Not sold on him but he is the sexiest choice we have right now. Safest bet. Louisville said to be his dream job. Wife has ties. I love DP and would love to keep him but he has NO recruiting MOJO. You have to be deep in recruiting from 7th grade on. DP isn't in the game. I love DP! Smart guy will win! He's 32! Hope he is our next next coach! Let's unite around the choice and stop fighting each other to the chagrine of our rivals! I'm skeptical about Mack but tired of the infighting!

Last edited:
Bennett has not been to a Final Four he is not a marquee coach.

Quit referencing games rigged by the ACC brass. Reference his record with unbiased refs where it matters the most. He's mediocre at best using the criteria that counts.
hop, that last stuff is your opinion. I appreciate your use of data in support of your argument, but I don't understand the connection you tried to make.

Plenty of coaches incl. Mack haven't made a Final Four. At least Bennett has a great resume despite that. The NCAA's a crapshoot, and I wouldn't fire a coach or not hire one because of it...

I would love to get one of those long shots; although, I can't figure out Bennett.

It isn't up to me, anyway. So let's see what happens.

Time to put the men's season to rest. Padgett and his staff took on a thankless job. I think they gave it their best this season, but their best was only enough to reduce the amount of disappointment that fans and players would have. I hope he comes out of it with a head coaching job that gives him the time to develop himself as one.

Mack is 10-7 in tourney. Not sold on him but he is the sexiest choice we have right now. Safest bet. Louisville said to be his dream job. Wife has ties. I love DP and would love to keep him but he has NO recruiting MOJO. You have to be deep in recruiting from 7th grade on. DP isn't in the game. I love DP! Smart guy will win! He's 32! Hope he is our next next coach! Let's unite around the choice and stop fighting each other to the chagrine of our rivals! I'm skeptical about Mack but tired of the infighting!
He's also a question mark in terms of his ability to connect with the fanbase. Too many people don't know anything about Mack.

And he's a question mark in terms of pay-for-play. If he was a great coach, he might be worth the risk. He's not a great coach...

...Time to put the men's season to rest. Padgett and his staff took on a thankless job. I think they gave it their best this season, but their best was only enough to reduce the amount of disappointment that fans and players would have. I hope he comes out of it with a head coaching job that gives him the time to develop himself as one.
I was over this season when the players decided they were and Fanboy later talked them into playing.

The only difference was I didn't tweet about it, and Fanboy didn't call me...

Plenty of coaches incl. Mack haven't made a Final Four. .

Agreed - and none of those coaches are marquee coaches.

Tony Bennett is Jaime Dixon. You could do better. You could do worse.

With all the gift seeding he may eventually break through. Until he does, he's nowhere near being a marquee coach. Thems are the rules.

Hell, Wright was 15 years taking Nova to a championship. I can remember how he used to get bashed for underachieving a few years ago.

Reactions: zipp and nccardfan
If anybody is interested in Bennett now would be the best time to get him. The Virginia fan base is really upset with him and would probably be glad for him to go.

If anybody is interested in Bennett now would be the best time to get him. The Virginia fan base is really upset with him and would probably be glad for him to go.
I agree with that, but his playing style sucks! Xavier was one of the top (maybe even #1) scoring offenses in the country. Would I take Bennett? Hell yeah, but he’s not my first choice.

Hell, Wright was 15 years taking Nova to a championship. I can remember how he used to get bashed for underachieving a few years ago.
So true, he was viewed as a total choke job years back. Winning a title cures all ills. Love his playing style, mobile versatile bigs and jack up a ton of threes.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card

This is a fair point. Boeheim and Lute went through it also.

My only counter thought is - the 3 we have just mentioned, that eventually won it all - did not change their approach drastically - and it sure looks like the offensive approach of Bennett's program needs an extreme makeover to reach the highest level.

Not ruling it completely out, as Z mentioned he is not old and bitter yet.

I was over this season when the players decided they were and Fanboy later talked them into playing.

Really? Because you seemed over it wayyy before then. Like as soon as Crooked Tom and Dirty Rick got the axe if I had to pinpoint the exact moment.

You were over the season because you are as happy when UofL fails as succeed (to paraphrase your own words).

The fans that generally hope to see UofL succeed were very happy with the enthusiasm the NIT brought. I applaud Tyra for laying the facts out for the team and that the team made a wise choice based on this facts. Go Cards!

You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE who they have reached out to all season and who has said they would not be interested....none, zilch. Quit this idiotic rhetoric . You sound delusional and embarrass our fanbase

Hell, didn’t it take Mark Few 17 years to get to a Final 4 or something like that?
Mark Few is a top five coach in the country, maybe top 3-5. Consider all the obstacles he has overcome while building a top 10-20 program. Gonzaga is a small (enrollment of around 7,500) Catholic University in Spokane, Washington. They play in the West Coast Conference and their arena seats only 6,000. Basically Bellarmine on steroids. Few is a stud coach.

Reactions: zipp
Brad Stevens is coaching an NBA team that is the #2 seed in their conference. I would imagine he is thinking that he will be coach until late may...maybe into June if he's lucky?

Billy Donovan is coaching the 4-seed out west and is only 2 games out of the 3 seed. I would imagine he's expecting to be coaching into early to mid-May?

I do not think its feasible that they would even consider a college job while they are in the middle of playoff runs with 2 of the best professional teams in the world. In their minds they are chasing an NBA title, the ultimate prize in the basketball world.

You also could not even think of hiring them until May at the earliest, and that's just if you don't get any fight from the ownership to retain them. I would imagine Boston would open the check book to keep Stevens, so that would be an uphill battle to fight. Then you have to face the fact that you don't have any recruits signed currently(I may be wrong?) and you will pass the signing period without any fresh blood coming in....on top of the risk you miss out on your big targets and guys like Mack move on...players transfer and you're without a good coach and have a depleted roster with no plans for the future. Logistically those 2 guys do not make any sense.

If you want to shoot for the stars on a big name hire, go for Fred Hoiberg. Probably going to be fired and his team is nowhere near playoff contention.

I support our team no matter what tournament they are in but I agree with Zipp on the people in charge. Tyra showed his inexperience by applying for an NIT bid before discussing it with the players. The players were gracious enough to bail him out of an embarrassing situation.

I have made no bones about the fact that I do not support Tyra because he was appointed to his position by a group of people I don't trust. In an attempt to cover this up and make Tyra more acceptable they hire a company and pay them $260,000 to run a fake job search for AD. This should have been done before Tyra was appointed.

Reactions: zipp
Really? Because you seemed over it wayyy before then. Like as soon as Crooked Tom and Dirty Rick got the axe if I had to pinpoint the exact moment.
Did you attend most of the games, or do you just jack your jaws about what a fan means? You're a clown...

You were over the season because you are as happy when UofL fails as succeed (to paraphrase your own words).

The fans that generally hope to see UofL succeed were very happy with the enthusiasm the NIT brought. I applaud Tyra for laying the facts out for the team and that the team made a wise choice based on this facts. Go Cards!
Of course you applaud Tyra because you're a clown show apologist.

And there's no need to "paraphrase" what I'm saying when I'm here everyday to give you a direct quote. You can spend your time paraphrasing for the clown show.

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

The NIT point is completely moot. Please stop bringing it up. Every AD in the country would file paperwork to play in the NIT if they were on the bubble unless there were some major reason not to. Players are on scholarship and do not have the right to opt out of games unless they want that agreement revoked. Beyond that, the same ones of you who are pissed about letting the players choose Padgett, now want to let them decide if we play in the NIT. Which is it? Stop crying over Crooked Tom and Dirty Rick. Start living in reality.

Mark Few is a top five coach in the country, maybe top 3-5. Consider all the obstacles he has overcome while building a top 10-20 program. Gonzaga is a small (enrollment of around 7,500) Catholic University in Spokane, Washington. They play in the West Coast Conference and their arena seats only 6,000. Basically Bellarmine on steroids. Few is a stud coach.
And he'd be another guy on my list of home run hires. There's a lotta them vs. just settling for a guy like Mack...

The NIT point is completely moot. Please stop bringing it up. Every AD in the country would file paperwork to play in the NIT if they were on the bubble unless there were some major reason not to. Players are on scholarship and do not have the right to opt out of games unless they want that agreement revoked. Beyond that, the same ones of you who are pissed about letting the players choose Padgett, now want to let them decide if we play in the NIT. Which is it? Stop crying over Crooked Tom and Dirty Rick. Start living in reality.
If this is directed at me and Fanboy... Your first reaction is usually the correct reaction. The players openly joked about playing in the NIT. But Fanboy stepped on his d!ck and had committed. So he basically coerced them into playing, dishing out guilt-trip nonsense about having to "forfeit". Just to save his humongous, unfit-for-the-job a$$...

I support our team no matter what tournament they are in but I agree with Zipp on the people in charge. Tyra showed his inexperience by applying for an NIT bid before discussing it with the players. The players were gracious enough to bail him out of an embarrassing situation...
Agreed, except I argue Tyra should have anticipated under the circumstances the sentiment around the program to prolong a season like this one. He didn't even need to talk to the players.

Nothing much really changed between November and March. Did it really take a genius to reason that the year ending WITHOUT an NCAA invite is a year to end as quickly as possible?

Of course, an unqualified interim AD is nowhere close to a genius...

...If you want to shoot for the stars on a big name hire, go for Fred Hoiberg. Probably going to be fired and his team is nowhere near playoff contention.
Thanks for a slappy contribution. Few people even know what a "Fred Hoiberg" is...

You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE who they have reached out to all season and who has said they would not be interested....none, zilch. Quit this idiotic rhetoric . You sound delusional and embarrass our fanbase
Has Fanboy come out and said he's pursuing a marquee coach? ...Coaches with national championships, college and NBA, best in the biz? If he did, I missed it...

Did you attend most of the games, or do you just jack your jaws about what a fan means? You're a clown...

Is clown your favorite word? How about building some depth in that limited lexicon of yours?

And do you really want to talk about someone who "jacks jaws?" Your incessant and repetitive verbal diarrhea on these boards is an embarrassment. While you are fond of prejudgment, I simply judge. Your tirades indicate to me and most rationale people that you completely gave up on this season before the NIT. Speaking of clowns, your acumen and influence are akin to the little squirt pistols Bozo shoots at birthday parties.

Is clown your favorite word? How about building some depth in that limited lexicon of yours?

And do you really want to talk about someone who "jacks jaws?" Your incessant and repetitive verbal diarrhea on these boards is an embarrassment. While you are fond of prejudgment, I simply judge. Your tirades indicate to me and most rationale people that you completely gave up on this season before the NIT. Speaking of clowns, your acumen and influence are akin to the little squirt pistols Bozo shoots at birthday parties.
Put me on ignore then. If "clown" fits...

And you didn't answer my question, my guess on purpose...

Reactions: STLNBSE
Well everyone is correct about one thing, this is the biggest collection of idiots on all of the Louisville boards combined.

I can see why this site doesn't get much traffic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT