ADVERTISEMENT

LIVE DISCUSSION: NCAA Tournament - Louisville vs. Stanford

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
The discussion threads have worked so far, let's keep it going.

Our bigs have to stop with silly fouls and learn to pump fake for goodness sake.

I am down in Memphis and I lost the signal because of heavy rain it keeps coming and going . I hope we keep it up defense is the key need more scoring from the rest of the team.

Tell you what. This team may not be as technically sound as some of our other teams. But, this may be the gutsiest team I have seen at UofL. They don’t quit. They go hard. They work you and work you and work you. This team being in the Elite 8 is what most of us expected- at a minimum. A Final Four, or more, would be gravy. Go Cards!

Must block out. Can’t stand there and try to out jump taller players.

I know there are 2 halves in every ballgame so I am not getting over confident but I wonder how the talking heads are going to explain this.

The refs are almost refusing to call fouls in Stanford. Sickening.

Reactions: Deeva
Stanford is doing exactly what I thought they would do is go inside since their outside shot isn’t falling.

Fourth period up by 2 nail biting time. We need to settle down and do the same thing we did in the 1st period in the 4th period.

ZERO inside presence for us and it is killing us. Lots of dribbling now versus passing to create the open shots.

Reactions: uncle_D
Walz is missing a talented wing forward. He's got a bunch of guards under 6 foot and two post players 6'3 and up. The guards are just too small for dribble drives in these close games and the bigs just aren't mobile enough.

If this team had Hines Allen it would be a whole different outcome.

I am surprised with the size difference why did Stanford wait until the 2nd half to take advantage of it. I will be surprised if the final is not between Stanford and UConn.

We are running the clock down to much and are only left with bad shots.
We've done that more than once. IMO, too much holding the ball and not enough attack the basket. Plus we simply have to get bigger if we are going to beat teams at the championship level. Oh well, still a great season.

Peace

We've done that more than once. IMO, too much holding the ball and not enough attack the basket. Plus we simply have to get bigger if we are going to beat teams at the championship level. Oh well, still a great season.

Peace
We start three players under 5’9 and really don’t have a center who can play against elite competition. That’s on the coach and his recruiters!

I think that is the only thing this team is missing is the elite big in the middle. The woman’s game has evolved into bigger players. We have had great guards ( elite ) for awhile now we just need the elite center. I would love to get Kennedy Basham out of Arizona.
Ironically like Sydni Schetnan, Basham also plays basketball and volleyball. Maybe that’s how we get her is letting her know she can play both here like Sydni.

I think that is the only thing this team is missing is the elite big in the middle. The woman’s game has evolved into bigger players. We have had great guards ( elite ) for awhile now we just need the elite center. I would love to get Kennedy Basham out of Arizona.
Ironically like Sydni Schetnan, Basham also plays basketball and volleyball. Maybe that’s how we get her is letting her know she can play both here like Sydni.
Thought she committed to Stanford?

Its hard to assign “our size” as the reason for losing, when the same size disadvantage allowed us to have a 12 point halftime lead. It is true, Prechtel is 6’5”, but it was not her size that hurt the Cards, it was her coming off the bench and going 3 for 3 from the 3 point distance in the 2nd half that started the Stanford offensive assault and provided the much needed boost.

Stanford’s defensive intensity in the 2nd half comes a lot closer to explaining why we lost last night. Hull (21 points) is only 6’ tall, and Williams (14 points) is only 5’8” tall; yet they dominated with their the second half perimeter shooting. Stanford’s third guard Jones is only 6’ tall, but she led the Cardinal with 10 rebounds.

Liz Dixon is 6’5”, and Olivia Cochran is 6’3” ...... but neither one used their size to any advantage. Cochran has struggled most of this late portion of the season, and her poor performance last night was not about lack of size, she simply failed to execute anywhere close to what we witnessed in the early part of the regular season. Conversely, our small guards, Kianna (6’) and Mykasa (5’7”) had 7 & 8 rebounds respectively.

There are “give and takes” with a 4 guard lineup, and last night’s game provides a perfect example of how successful it was in the first half when our shots are going in, and our defensive pressure is forcing the opponent’s half court game further out than they are accustomed to. Stanford reversed that entirely in the 2nd half, as their defensive pressure took HVL, Mykasa and K Smith out of our half court offense, and they hit the perimeter shots they had missed in the first half.

My last observation is directed to Cochran; she needs to learn that leaving her feet is a prerequisite for successful scoring inside. Olivia uses her wide body quite effectively for inside position, but she does not elevate when she has the ball in close and under the basket. Like so many taller girls who enjoyed a height advantage in HS, she never learned the importance of jumping through the defenders outstretched arms. Jeff has plenty of time to teach her those fundamentals.

Reactions: Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT