ADVERTISEMENT

Higher Floor vs Higher Ceiling

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
When it comes to some of the potential coaching candidates, it seems like a choice between younger up and comer vs more established coaches.

Basically weighing a guy like Mick Cronin who probably has a higher floor, as in he'll get you to the tournament and is steady vs a younger guy where you're not as sure what you're getting but he could be the next Dan Hurley.

If Heird manages to get Scott Drew it will be one of the biggest coaching gets in college basketball. Having that caliber of coach leave a school he's won a championship at and been there for 20 years to come here would be almost unprecedented, especially since he isn't an alum or from Louisville.

The University of Louisville should be shopping in the high end department of the store, not the bargain basement. We tried that with Sunbelt Scottie. I have no doubt that there are great coaches available in a Power Six conference.

As far as risk goes, it seems to me the higher risk for the program in general is a guy like Scherts as opposed to a proven coach who had charges against him dropped. How would any of us feel to be passed over for a job that we could be very successful at just because we had unproven allegations against us?

Dusty May is the one mid-major guy that I think has a high floor and a high ceiling. He has the demeanor of Cool Hand Luke Denny Crum and learned the game from Bob Knight.

Dusty May is the one mid-major guy that I think has a high floor and a high ceiling. He has the demeanor of Cool Hand Luke Denny Crum and learned the game from Bob Knight.
I've not really followed May closely. I've seen some say his success is because of one group of guys and that besides that he hasn't been a that impressive career wise. Is that even close to true?

I've not really followed May closely. I've seen some say his success is because of one group of guys and that besides that he hasn't been a that impressive career wise. Is that even close to true?
This is his 6th year at FAU. They were dreadful before he got there. Their record has gotten better each year. To me, the impressive thing is that he got everyone to come back from the Final 4 team. There’s no doubt those guys had some much bigger NIL offers. He was an assistant at Florida for three years so he has operated within a big program.

This is his 6th year at FAU. They were dreadful before he got there. Their record has gotten better each year. To me, the impressive thing is that he got everyone to come back from the Final 4 team. There’s no doubt those guys had some much bigger NIL offers. He was an assistant at Florida for three years so he has operated within a big program.
Gotcha. Would you take him over guys like Schertz and Kelsey?

Gotcha. Would you take him over guys like Schertz and Kelsey?
If we're talking mid-major then May is probably my #1 choice. Kelsey is 2nd because he's had continued success and 12 years of HC experience. I have a hard time saying May or Kelsey would be an "experiment" - which KP was (ZERO Head Coaching experience; limited desire to even be a HC).

Reactions: shadow force
If we're talking mid-major then May is probably my #1 choice. Kelsey is 2nd because he's had continued success and 12 years of HC experience. I have a hard time saying May or Kelsey would be an "experiment" - which KP was (ZERO Head Coaching experience; limited desire to even be a HC).

Some red flags with Kelsey. Accepted UMASS job and then recanted three days later. Walked away from Associate Head Coach job at Xavier. Mentors are Chris Mack and Dino Gaudio. The last thing we need is a flakey head coach.

Some red flags with Kelsey. Accepted UMASS job and then recanted three days later. Walked away from Associate Head Coach job at Xavier. Mentors are Chris Mack and Dino Gaudio. The last thing we need is a flakey head coach.
Those are some potentially troubling events. If Heird is really thinking about Kelsey then he hopefully investigated further into these matters.

Pat Forde saying UofL should go after Schertz or May. He thinks May going to Ohio State and that Cards should go Schertz. Compared him to Kalen DeBoer - highly successful coach at lower level who is innovative offensively.

Which is why its not a stretch to think he's biding his time to land his dream job at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT