ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Schertz

Here’s my take on Schertz. It would be a huge gamble. However, of all the coaches we are looking for I think he might be the best fit for Louisville. Winning is most important of course. He runs an up tempo high octane offense. He’s a gym rat. He has a chip on his shoulder. I see him as a low floor, high ceiling guy. Not sure we can afford to gamble but I think he could win big here.

Everyone on the current board is a gamble. To some extent Drew would have been a gamble.

I personally won’t lose my mind whomever they hire. The reality is none of us know who is going to work or fail. Sure there will be candidates that I will be more excited to get but that means nothing.

People need to stop crushing coaches or Heird before they even coach a game.

Here’s my take on Schertz. It would be a huge gamble. However, of all the coaches we are looking for I think he might be the best fit for Louisville. Winning is most important of course. He runs an up tempo high octane offense. He’s a gym rat. He has a chip on his shoulder. I see him as a low floor, high ceiling guy. Not sure we can afford to gamble but I think he could win big here.
I agree. And I wouldn't be disappointed to see him end up being the guy. It'll be a lot easier to sell the new coach to the fans if you can tell he really wants to be here and if he can connect with the community (and if he wins), and I think Schertz fits the bill there.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I like Josh Schertz, but it feels crazy to me to hire a coach that has never had to recruit 4/5 star prospects at any of his stops the last 25 years. At least Dusty was at Florida, Holloway at Hall, & Amir was on Power 5 staffs. Now I understand that money talks, but these players also have pro aspirations that he could only pretend to relate to.

Outside of that reaction ^^ this guy can flat out coach and if you have watched them any more than the highlights of their big white guy, they have these guards that seem like our brand of hoops. I think we could get 3-4 of their starting 5 to transfer here because they still are eligible. I'm not sure Cream would work as the starting center in the ACC, but he would be my new favorite Card.

Fans had a wish list with names they were familiar with who owned some resumes. I understand why that's a direction they'd hope the program would go.

That's not the direction these hires have gone across the country lately though.

The next splash hire anywhere is going to be the first splash hire in a long time, anywhere.

Your established HC doesn't need a risk or a new challenge. Your higher end guys are either where they are going to stay or the NBA, or retired because just like fans, they hate where CBB is. If you want a "name" he's probably a journeyman sort of guy who will have holes in his resume you will be able to easily pick apart if you want to be a hater.

The sooner our fans that are left realize all this, I think the better off they are going to be.

but it feels crazy to me to hire a coach that has never had to recruit 4/5 star prospects at any of his stops the last 25 years.
It is crazy 🤪 but these are crazy times. You know the Big Dance is chocked full of guys that are going on to NBA careers but who aren't great college players and guys who won't sniff the NBA but have great success in the tournament. Give me 2-3 great shooters,a couple of blue collar guys and roll it out.

I like Josh Schertz, but it feels crazy to me to hire a coach that has never had to recruit 4/5 star prospects at any of his stops the last 25 years. At least Dusty was at Florida, Holloway at Hall, & Amir was on Power 5 staffs. Now I understand that money talks, but these players also have pro aspirations that he could only pretend to relate to.

Outside of that reaction ^^ this guy can flat out coach and if you have watched them any more than the highlights of their big white guy, they have these guards that seem like our brand of hoops. I think we could get 3-4 of their starting 5 to transfer here because they still are eligible. I'm not sure Cream would work as the starting center in the ACC, but he would be my new favorite Card.

All good points. I will say that anymore it’s the coach saying who he wants and then the collective gets to work acquiring the talent. I hate the system but that’s what it is these days.

Reactions: UofLouisville
The portal is probably more important to programs like UofL now, than the HS recruits. UofL has rarely been a factor for a T10 player out of HS, in this era. Those guys just aren't coming here unless you switch to NIKE and go all-in on that approach.

So the question is, can the next HC work the portal and mix that with just a few HS guys that he can convince to stick with him a few years and contribute.

The portal is probably more important to programs like UofL now, than the HS recruits. UofL has rarely been a factor for a T10 player out of HS, in this era. Those guys just aren't coming here unless you switch to NIKE and go all-in on that approach.

So the question is, can the next HC work the portal and mix that with just a few HS guys that he can convince to stick with him a few years and contribute.

I'm not claiming we need to pop off these top 10 classes, but the majority of the top teams have been a solid mix of recruits and transfers. The next coach needs to have some experience recruiting top 50 guys in my mind.

I'm not claiming we need to pop off these top 10 classes, but the majority of the top teams have been a solid mix of recruits and transfers. The next coach needs to have some experience recruiting top 50 guys in my mind.
I get what you're saying. Danny Hurley probably didn't recruit too many of those guys at Rhode Island, but he was able to do it when he got to UCONN. It's hard to say what HC from mid-major is or isn't going to be able to do that.

I think if you can do some winning through the portal year one, and rid yourself of being a laughingstock, then you can start to profit from both buckets of available players.

Valvano has been pimping Schertz all day on his show. Went as far to say, “Unless something drastic happens…he’s your next coach”.

I don’t think he knows this and he sure doesn’t speak for Heird. Valvano over the top as often happens.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I think if you can do some winning through the portal year one
I knew we were in trouble early on with KP when he decided he didn't need to go after guards in the portal,relying on a guy that loved to shoot more than anybody since RS.
Both of those St Peter's guards were available and either one would've improved that team last season.

Valvano has been pimping Schertz all day on his show. Went as far to say, “Unless something drastic happens…he’s your next coach”.

I don’t think he knows this and he sure doesn’t speak for Heird. Valvano over the top as often happens.
I don’t think he knows anything either but you’re right, he’s pushing for Schertz like he’s his agent.

FWIW Indiana St plays Cincinnati tomorrow night at 9 in the NIT.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
I knew we were in trouble early on with KP when he decided he didn't need to go after guards in the portal,relying on a guy that loved to shoot more than anybody since RS.
Both of those St Peter's guards were available and either one would've improved that team last season.
I knew we were in trouble at his first press conference then disappeared when he should have been putting a staff together.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT