ADVERTISEMENT

i reiterate. UofL is SuCkS superbowl.

It's why they need to be dropped.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Why run. Just beat them.

Cards should be 5-4 the last 9 meetings.
You're denying them what they love most--playing you. Because you are their Super Bowl.

And you're not running because you drop them in football too. They're no longer worth having on our schedule. We have more to lose than win.

Not going to happen , unless UofL wins 3 in a row or 8 out 9.

It could happen in football, but why would SuCkS give up a guaranteed
basketball win.

Coach Pitino needs to SERIOUSLY pretend theyre an 'ACC' team.

Last edited:
Not going to happen , unless UofL wins 3 in a row or 8 out 9.

It could happen in football, but why would SuCkS give up a guaranteed win.

Coach Pitino needs to SERIOUSLY pretend theyre an 'ACC' team.
Pitino's not changing the way he approaches this game.

And it's easy to make happen... We tell them the basketball game will be when we want it played on the schedule. If they agree with that, we tell them we're going to a 2-for-1 arrangement like we do with other mid-major basketball conferences. Of course, they won't go along with that.

And we tell them they continue to be scheduled in other sports only if they continue the basketball series. Unfortunately for them, Jurich now has the upper hand. They want out of the football series anyway.

Texas and Texas A&M used to play every year. Now they never play. Nebraska and Oklahoma used to play every year. Times change, and you need to adapt.

LOL we didn't win man! I mean too each is own though if you choose to be happy playing kinbda close makes you happy. Moral victorys i want a straight out win. Anyway that's water under the bridge now

She's not a man!

Maybe Cards need to start thinking that Uk is our superbowl geez we need a win like yesterday...
Not happening. First because they're not our Super Bowl.

And second because at least all of these games/goals are more important...

• National championship in any sport
  • ACC championship in any sport (I don't know of any that aren't bigger)
  • Any bowl win in football
  • Getting to the NCAA tourney in men's basketball
  • Final 4 in women's basketball
  • A CWS in baseball
  • Win over LPT in football

And those aren't necessarily in order of priority. But after those boxes are checked, I can put the LPT basketball game in its proper place. Which looks like well below Super Bowl status.

Reactions: LockdownCard
Zipp, I would love to run into you in in a public place. Meaning, I'd love to have a beer with you and discuss hoops, because I think it would be an excellent conversation. :)

Reactions: zipp
Dropping the series is a cop out. Losing to uk is terrible but life goes on.
Dropping LPT is merely a sign of the times, and it's the ultimate show of disrespect. Beating them and crowing about is JUST THE OPPOSITE. The bigger the deal you make outta any game with LPT--win or lose--the more respect you are showing them. Think about it...it's not rocket science.

And the reason you drop them is because you no longer need them. It's not because you're afraid of them. If they wanna play 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 series like we do with mid-major and other in-state schools, I have no problem with that. A series of that type puts them in their proper place.

Dropping them solves a multitude of other issues for some of our fans...
  • We have a losing streak in women's basketball.
  • We lose too often in men's basketball.
  • They offer no opposition in football and kill our SOS.
  • They're headed in that same direction in baseball.
  • They don't really care about any other sports.
  • They treat us like a Super Bowl. (The ultimate show of respect that we don't reciprocate...)
  • And they get WAY too many fans into our home basketball game with them.
I'm a lot older than most of you, so this attitude isn't a generational gap thing. You need to throw off old ideas of what this game means on our schedule. Texas and A&M, Oklahoma and Nebraska, Pitt and Penn State, all storied rivalries that no longer are played regularly or at all.

This one belongs on that same scrap heap.

Zipp, I would love to run into you in in a public place. Meaning, I'd love to have a beer with you and discuss hoops, because I think it would be an excellent conversation. :)
Agreed! Let's make that happen...

Zipp,

All I read from your posts is how much you hate UK and now you are advocating dropping the series with out tail between our legs. I don't want to quit while we are down. Everything tends to go in cycles. Beat them a few times and it goes away. Yeah it's not a rivalry if you don't hold up your end of it. Kinda like what you preach about football. Let's dominate them in both instead of taking the ball and go home. Besides if we do that, that's your elitist attitude that you seem to keep throwing out against their basketball program.

Zipp, All I read from your posts is how much you hate UK and now you are advocating dropping the series with out tail between our legs. I don't want to quit while we are down. Everything tends to go in cycles. Beat them a few times and it goes away. Yeah it's not a rivalry if you don't hold up your end of it. Kinda like what you preach about football. Let's dominate them in both instead of taking the ball and go home. Besides if we do that, that's your elitist attitude that you seem to keep throwing out against their basketball program.
I understand that POV. (Although you can't find "tail between our legs" in any of my remarks...) And I'd rather be up in any series we cancel with them. But it's unrealistic to try to wait until you're up or playing 50-50 in all of them. Too many sports.

Your individual records in each sport really don't matter if you're cancelling ALL of the series. Are you gonna be legitimately judged as having your tail between your legs when you drop them in football tomorrow? Kinda doubt it. And you're gonna get the criticism that you're ducking them anyway from LPT nation, even in a sport like football. So it doesn't matter what they say. Some of you guys worry way too much what LPT fans and talking heads say.

Sure it's an elitist attitude toward them. Hell, I'll even say I discovered Uncle Adolph was right, and I'm reversing course. It's still disrespecting the hell outta them. It's still getting out of the problems and situations I described above. And it's still true we don't need them anymore. None of the facts change. So let's get it over with.

Zipp's Quote: Sure it's an elitist attitude toward them. Hell, I'll even say I discovered Uncle Adolph was right, and I'm reversing course. It's still disrespecting the hell outta them. It's still getting out of the problems and situations I described above. And it's still true we don't need them anymore. None of the facts change. So let's get it over with.

Adolph's questionable petty decision to not play UofL because he lost to UofL and deemed it prudent to not ever play them again (or any other in-state school) was an ignorant, cowardly position to take on his part. His way of disrespecting and punishing a school (and its fans) for dare beating his so called superior Ky Wildcats. (sic, sic) That was, and is the historical Kentucky way of doing things besides cheating. So Adolph indoctrinated many BB fans in this state to that way of thinking, rightly or wrongly. We have nothing to gain, etc, etc.

BBN fans say they don't need us, and some fans of UofL say now we don't need them......what is the truth?

I can only speak for myself.....I don't need to play uk.......I want to play them and take advantage of the opportunity so longed denied in the past to defeat them in every sport and then some. I learned very early on in life not to run away from situations or problems in life. Not facing them head on is not disrespectful to them.....it is disrespectful to all the Louisville fans that want the games to be played as well as the ky fans who want the games.

The rivalry in BB and FB was long overdue and the fans demanded that the series be started. Win or lose.....I, for one, am glad and thankful for the work of many, many people behind the scenes to that made it happen. It would be shameful to denigrate all their hard work and return to a time where Adolph Rupp's attitude is portrayed as the model to follow. Sad.

The reason that TX & AM, OK & NE no longer play is because of conference affiliation changes and is not the same reasoning as breaking up the UL/UK rivalry would be. A red herring to this issue.

UofL fans normally take the 'high road' when disputes take place between them and uk......IMO that is the better way to go here......the ultimate way to disrespect or beat down your opponent is simply ' to beat them on the field or the court.'.....not in a war of words. So fulfilling to point up and say, 'Scoreboard'! That fact goes down in the record books for all time. I don't expect that either school will win all the games all the time either. I am OK with that. I am not OK with not playing though.

That is much better than, "Well, if we played you, we would beat you":rolleyes:o_O

You can only speculate to the cows come home when you don't play. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Rupp's M.O. was wrong from 1959 on, and it would be just as wrong for UofL to adopt that M.O. now. Not to mention the financial benefits for both schools to continue playing and keeping the money in the state.

The playing field is level now and for those using the 'its their superbowl game' reasoning for the BB results. Well that is some weak sauce there. Every game played vs a rival is both teams superbowl......I don't think for one minute that CRP doesn't want to win that game. I'm not buying what anyone else is selling if they believe differently.

I like the game because it's a golden opportunity to match up our players against an NBA-DL team. No matter what kind of a year UK has, and we've seen they can be very up and very down from year to year, they are always going to be greatly talented as long as the Cal/WWW connection is alive.

We could try to replace UK with another top tier team. But who else other than Duke who we already play, is going to have that level of athletic talent year after year? I'd argue playing UK accomplishes a few things for our program:

Because we know they will always have great talent under Cal, we don't have to worry about scheduling other great teams to make sure we get a good challenge every single year in the OOC. Imagine if we had Ohio State or Wisconsin on the schedule this year, we'd have gotten nothing from that game. You almost have to schedule 3 top programs to ensure one good challenge. And, having more of those games means less revenue from home games as you have to play away every other year. Good for the fans, but bad for the athletic department.

Playing against players who belong in the NBA-DL helps prepare us for the scattering of that kind of talent we'll face with North Carolina and Duke.

Also, I'm not convinced Pitino/Jurich would replace UK with a top flight program. In years when Pitino thinks the team is going to struggle, like he did this year before he signed Lee/Lewis, he might make that slot into another weak team.

I just think we do get some benefit from this game. I hate losing but I'm more focused on getting ready for the ACC and the NCAA Tournament. And I think that game helps us with those important goals.

Once Calipari leaves, if UK stops being an NBA farm team then I'd re-evaluate playing them at that point. But for now, playing against the great talent of the NBA, I believe better prepares us for the tough ACC and NCAA Tournament ahead.

Mayo, the sad truth is that you don't get what you want. More than wanting to play LPT and as a regular ticket buyer, I'd love to have more quality opponents--period--on our schedule, and esp. our home schedule. Anyone think that's happening anytime soon? Not with the financials we have to deal with.

Those other long lost rivalries could have continued with both sides agreeing. Sure, it's couched in conference changes. Last time I checked, they also play NONconference games. One side simply stopped wanting to play the other, and life went on. The same that could happen here.

We could easily replace LPT with another 1-for-1 team, and we could vary the script--not play the same team every year. I'd love to bring a west coast team like UCLA or Gonzaga in here while we thumb our noses at LPT. Or another Big Ten team. We could play the ACC-B10 Challenge game and have another one on the schedule as well, one home and one away each year. Playing Pac-10 and Big Ten basketball teams is what we oughta be striving for, not SEC teams.

One point I haven't made is how localized the LPT game is. This year it was buried on Dec. 26th at noon. Last year it was ESPN2. Nobody outside of this State much cares about the game. And you now have a national athletics program if you didn't before. You shouldn't be playing any teams that ESPN and the networks aren't anxious to broadcast in a prime viewing location. You're thinking small to still be clamoring for LPT in any sport.

Mike, as you mention, the NBA-D League thing is fleeting... In a few years when their coach is gone, so will many of their OAD kids. They never recruited before as they have the last 6-7 years. And one of the ways dropping LPT will be justified is enhancing the schedule nationally. With the fallout there will be at the outset, no chance U of L fills that slot with Alabama A&M.

Throw off old assumptions and baggage and small thinking. Embrace being one of the elites in college athletics. And dump a little country school that will always live to beat you. They're not worthy of your respect.

Last edited:
Mike, as you mention, the NBA-D League thing is fleeting... In a few years when their coach is gone, so will many of their OAD kids. They never recruited before as they have the last 6-7 years. And one of the ways dropping LPT will be justified is enhancing the schedule nationally. With the fallout there will be at the outset, no chance they fill that slot with Alabama A&M.

I don't think we have much disagreement on this point. I also agree we should re-evaluate the series if the OAD farm system is dismantled. But until then the benefits we get with playing all those NBA players is attractive to me, it's a scenario we can't really count on playing anyone else, certainly not every single year.

I see it as an advantage that not many other teams enjoy in their OOC scheduling.

Playing just about everyone else is hit-and-miss as we saw with OSU and Wisconsin's deterioration this year. All programs have up and downs but no other program has the consistent level of NBA farm team talent that UK currently possesses. I hate losing to them but I hope the benefits of evaluating our guys against that NBA-DL level will pay off when it counts later in the year.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember such venomous attitudes between the 2 fan bases before Calipari came along. Perhaps that coincides with the explosion of social media which brings out the really bad apples in every group.

Maybe once Calipari moves on it goes back to being a more healthy rivalry. At some point the stuff from a few generations ago has to be forgotten, right?

Back to the title of the thread, Kerry, I'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise just based on the results. UK has lost more than one game to multiple SEC teams during the 1-8 stretch, and in most cases those teams are far inferior to U of L. Not to mention a handful of other OOC losses to "blah" teams during the same time frame.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember such venomous attitudes between the 2 fan bases before Calipari came along. Perhaps that coincides with the explosion of social media which brings out the really bad apples in every group.

Maybe once Calipari moves on it goes back to being a more healthy rivalry. At some point the stuff from a few generations ago has to be forgotten, right?

Having lived in both towns, and countless friends on both sides, I disagree. Social media may give the vocal minority a louder voice, but the venom has always been there for some. As far as generations, this is the Commonwealth of Kentucky, home to the Hatfields and McCoys... ;)

Reactions: JohnKBA
I'm highly against the idea of ever ending the series with UK (in either basketball or football). Do you see UNC/Duke or OSU/Michigan ever ending their series?

Reactions: Mayoman
Majestic,

You're going to get the response that those are conference rivals. A more valid comparison would be Georgia-Georgia tech, South Carolina -Clemson. I have some experience with USC and Clemson but not nearly as hateful as UK-U of L.

Reactions: Mayoman
...Do you see UNC/Duke or OSU/Michigan ever ending their series?
There are many examples otherwise, most with more history than U of L-LPT...

Oklahoma-Nebraska
Penn State-Pitt
Texas-Texas A&M
Texas-Arkansas
Pitt-WVU
LPT-Indiana

and a couple close to home... WKU-EKU and U of L-Memphis

I'm sure there are many other examples. Rivalries come and many go...

Reactions: Cue Card
Gotta agree with Zipp the series should end immediately. I was under the impression that UK was forced into having to play UL.

Having lived in both towns, and countless friends on both sides, I disagree. Social media may give the vocal minority a louder voice, but the venom has always been there for some. As far as generations, this is the Commonwealth of Kentucky, home to the Hatfields and McCoys... ;)

Wasn't half that rivalry in West VA OEW? :D

Alright, so I'll throw another, up-to-the-minute log on the fire...

You "keep 'em" guys think it's worthwhile playing LPT in basketball. When we last beat them in 2013, we beat an NIT team. So what? That win meant nothing on the national radar.

Using 2015-16 results at the moment, LPT is barely hanging onto a Top 25 ranking. Had we beaten them on 12-26, they'd already have five losses and be unranked. And with Duke's demise, they would have no wins over a ranked opponent and no more big game opportunities in their $hit conference. They would be on a beeline for the NIT again (and they may make it there anyway).

So, when we beat them, what are we getting that's important nationally? When our talent is about equal, their coach flounders and you might get a win not worth anything. When their talent advantage is significant, we ain't winning anyway. It's the same issue in football, more to lose than win. Their women's basketball team fades in the postseason every year, so IF we beat them in that sport as well--which we aren't doing lately--it means nothing.

What many of you overlook in this analysis is that U of L is a much bigger game on their basketball schedule than LPT is on ours. The Super Bowl factor. But how that also translates is when they LOSE the game against us, they have very few recovery games. Duke's falling outta bed, and Kansas will probably drill them. If you're still smarting about having lost on the 26th, you're regretting not beating what would be an NIT team.

Too many of us are worried about water cooler talk and what the guy in the next cubicle says. Means nothing when you're in the ACC and on a national stage. We need to get our minds focused on the big picture, not little hillbilly state drama. Any smart person stops playing the game when there's more to lose than win.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Zipp the series should end immediately. I was under the impression that UK was forced into having to play UL.

I do not agree (respectfully) with zipp on this issue but that's just me. I want to continue to play them but I must admit that I "bleed" a bit any time we lose to those arrogant jerks. And there was never, I repeat never, any legislation passed to "force" them into playing us. Yes, some discussion in the legislature but no bill ever passed to force the issue. I do believe that they place more emphasis on the rivalry than we do because we understand that life goes on win or lose.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: SoulSr
I agree with zipp about the lack of importance associated with playing UofK in any sport especially from a non conference stand point. Most fans enjoy the games though and it generates a ton of money for the Commonwealth. For those reasons I don't see the series ending anytime soon.

I'll be frank,I don't give a damn about all of your numbers and examples. I like the instate rivalry. It's one thing that gets me on edge when it's not the post season. This is college basketball, not a corporation (save all the, the ncaa IS a corp. Talk, because that's not what I mean). I want UofL to play uk every year and I want them to win every year. Your statistical analysis is meaningless to me and as far as me being stuck in the past, the series is still ongoing so you're stuck in a future that doesn't exist at this point. To me this is just a frivolous effort to minimise further embarrassment by that fraud of a coach, calipari. It does sting to consistently lose to a constant underachiever but no reason to take your ball and run. Just looks like sour grapes. But I won't convince you and you won't convince me otherwise.

Reactions: SoulSr
Some of us are little brother, and the rest of us are not. It's all a function of how much this game matters. Their coach is an expert on the subject.

As long as you recognize who/what you are.

I mean if you need to use labels, then by all means. It's just that I don't take time out of my day on a daily basis to try and convince people how little uk means to me. I just don't mention them.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
It would be dumb to end either the football or basketball series. This is the area that moves the needle on tv ratings, why end the biggest non conference rivalry in all of cbb?

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT