ADVERTISEMENT

Forde Article on Tyra / UofL Athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Quite the task, but feel like we have the right Athletic Director and University President to take this on. Sure, there are a few folks that want to cast dispersions because of weird agendas or act like change wasn't necessary. Fortunately those folks have been and continue to be irrelevant.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-man-tasked-with-saving-louisville-054659847.html

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Vince Tyra was a lot of things before he became the Louisville athletic director — he was a collegiate pitcher of some renown, a businessman in myriad roles, even an amateur sports writer.

On Sunday mornings during the college football season, Tyra would assume his alter ego, Pigskin Pete, and type out barb-laced comedic recaps of games played by the alma maters of his colleagues at Broder Bros., a sporting-goods distributor. Tyra, the CEO of the company, would bang out articles that spoofed several teams, coaches and players, then distribute them to his buddies via email.

“I did that for a long time,” the 53-year-old Tyra said, sitting in a conference room outside his office on the Louisville campus earlier this month. “It became a Sunday morning deadline, I had to get the article out. I’ve since moved on from that job.”

Tyra’s job now is to craft an altogether different story, one of redemption for the tarnished Louisville Cardinals. It could be a tough plot line to pull off. The story arc could well depend on how the NCAA deals with what could be the most controversial of all the cases to come out of the federal investigation of college basketball.

The NCAA will be tasked with finding a balance between crediting the Cardinals for a complete leadership overhaul and crushing the Cardinals for back-to-back major scandals. Tyra, an athletic administration outsider until 21 months ago, is trying to tip that balance in favor of his school.

Louisville and fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member North Carolina State figure to be the litmus tests for schools that have turned over their athletic administration since the federal corruption investigation broke in 2017. Both schools have new leadership in athletics and in the basketball office, but could still be vulnerable to institutional penalties that impact them. The eternal question of the fairness of punishing players and coaches who weren’t involved in the violations will inevitably be raised.

No school acted more decisively than Louisville in response to being implicated in the federal corruption scandal. But then again, no school needed to more than Louisville.

When Tyra holds organizational meetings with his athletic staff, he always begins it with a reminder: “We are on probation. Not the basketball program, the whole department.”

This is Louisville’s inconvenient truth. This is Louisville’s compromised position. This is the reality the school is trying to push into the past, even as it continues to loom over the future.

The Cardinals were hammered by the NCAA in June 2017 for the infamous strippers-and-prostitutes parties in an on-campus dorm that were arranged for recruits and players by staffer Andre McGee. Sanctions included vacating the 2013 national men’s basketball championship, leaving Louisville with the ignominious distinction of being the first school to lose a men’s hoops national title via scandal. Legendary coach Rick Pitino also was hit with a five-game suspension for the 2017-18 season, a penalty he opposed bitterly. The school already had self-imposed a postseason ban on the 2016-17 team, hoping that would mitigate the NCAA’s penalties, but it didn’t.

That was bad. What came out some three months after that NCAA ruling made the situation much, much worse.

When the FBI and the Southern District of New York began spilling forth the contents of its investigation into corruption in college basketball on Sept. 26, 2017, it didn’t take long to identify the school referred to in the federal indictment as “University-6.” That was Louisville, and its involvement in this sting operation was a disaster.

The feds alleged that a deal was struck between Louisville, apparel company Adidas and recruit Brian Bowen to become a Cardinal in exchange for $100,000. An FBI wiretap also recorded Louisville assistant Jordan Fair discussing arrangements for a deal for another recruit, who did not sign with the school. (In a trial a year later, Bowen’s father said he received $1,300 from Cardinals assistant Kenny Johnson, and prosecutors said Fair gave $900 to another, unnamed recruit.)

This sudden immersion in repeat NCAA offender territory left Louisville little choice but to act quickly and drastically. Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino and powerful athletic director Tom Jurich, who had transformed the athletic department into one worthy of inclusion in the ACC, were placed on administrative leave the day after the feds announced their investigation. Both were fired shortly thereafter.

Into this chasm of a leadership void stepped Tyra, who had never worked in college athletic administration. Most figured he would hold the job for a matter of weeks, maybe months. But by March 2018, the son of an all-time Louisville basketball great, Charlie Tyra, was taking on the job full-time.

By then, he had already started envisioning the roadmap back to respectability. Part of that journey was a meeting in late 2017 with NCAA brass, wherein Tyra stated his case to president Mark Emmert, general counsel Donald Remy and then-vice president Oliver Luck, who oversaw Enforcement.

“These are the steps we’re going to take to be a different poster child — for the good, not the bad,” Tyra told them. “We’re going to run a clean program and we’re going to teach that.”

Tyra has followed up that intent with action. He’s not just talked in vague platitudes; he’s gotten specific and gotten busy.

In a gesture of commitment to balancing Louisville’s athletic budget, Tyra cut his own 2017-18 salary by $350,000. “We got rid of some wants versus some needs,” he said. That was part of a restructuring that included getting rid of some staff, including three high-ranking athletic department members — most notably Tom Jurich’s son, Mark.

Last October, Tyra ponied up $100,000 more of his own money to start an Ethical Leadership Excellence Program via the U of L business school. Of note: Adidas is kicking in $1 million over 10 years to the project.

That communion of the scandal-scarred was greeted by more than a few jokes around the college athletic landscape — of all entities to be partnering to promote ethical leadership?

Tyra bristled at the mockery. This is part of that plan to become a poster child for good.

“Winning through virtues,” he said. “I personally invested to start that.”

The commitment to compliance has translated to written goals. Tyra had a goal sheet printed that has this as its No. 1 objective: “At the end of 2023, the University of Louisville athletic department will be able to say that, in the past three years, there have been no Level I or Level II NCAA violations by anyone affiliated with the department.”

Of course, NCAA judgement figures to be handed down long before anyone knows whether that goal is met.

Louisville does not appear to be at the front end of the NCAA’s enforcement pipeline of cases. More notices of allegations are coming in relative short order, but Tyra said that no investigators have come to campus for interviews. Nothing appears imminent — but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to worry about.

“We don’t know what we don’t know,” Tyra said. “What we do know, internally, we’re comfortable with. But I don’t know that you ever feel total comfort when you’re dealing with these scenarios — and, more importantly, how the NCAA intends to handle it.”

How the NCAA handles Louisville — the most proactive of all scandal-implicated schools, but also the most compromised — will be a fascinating case. Vince Tyra is doing his best to write a happy ending, but the outcome seems far beyond his control.

Can’t stand the NCAAssholes but a major fan of Vince and Queen Neeli, bro. Think what you want but our leadership has stepped up to the plate, bro. Love Tom, Bobby and Rick but things had slipped.

Forde's a hack.

And that account, not surprisingly, is devoid of everything but platitudes about "ethics"...

I’m not too crazy about Forde either but I found a lot to like within this article. At least the effort is being made to clean up our act. These efforts are numerous but starting with the hiring of a basketball coach that likes doing things the right way. Do I like everything Vince Tyra has done? No and that starts with the removal of Mark Jurich from the athletic department even though I could see that situation creating a difficult situation for both Mark and Vince. Hey zipp sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good. It appears to me that our athletic department is on good footing beginning with Vince making good hires for coaches for our various sports.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

No it wasn’t my point. Tom’s son worked for UofL. Vince’s daughter works as a realtor, trying to make a buck off the new hires Vince made. Ask a realtor in this city how they felt about that move.

I meant there is no difference between Mark Jurich working for U of L and the daughter doing real estate for the new hires. It is politics with an inside source who will be next to benefit from the source and will it bite us down the road.

I meant there is no difference between Mark Jurich working for U of L and the daughter doing real estate for the new hires. It is politics with an inside source who will be next to benefit from the source and will it bite us down the road.
Wrong again. Mark Jurich was an All American at U of L where he earned his degree. Are you saying just because your dad works there and where his dad’s loyalties lie, you can’t work there either? Big difference, Mark earned his position and Tyra’s daughter was given hers because of her relationship.

Yeah, bro, a 800k dollar a job that was questionable funded is totally earned just by being a UofL graduate. Where’s mine?

University shuffled money from already broke academics to pay for that stuff, bro The professors and students in those departments apparently haven’t earned anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerekMcPwn
No it wasn’t my point. Tom’s son worked for UofL. Vince’s daughter works as a realtor, trying to make a buck off the new hires Vince made. Ask a realtor in this city how they felt about that move.

Both instances were overblown imo when talking about nepotism. Mark Jurich did a good job imo as he was a big part of getting funding for the endzone stadium expansion. I get why he had to go as his dad was recently fired from the AD spot but that doesn't mean that he was good as his job. It won't surprise me if he goes somewhere else and is successful.

As far as Tyra's daughter goes, if the other realtors say they've never been helped out by a "hookup" they are lying to you and themselves. If I'm his daughter and I see an opportunity to make some money and get some press, I'm going to take it. Unless the coaches were forced to use her or unhappy with the way things went it doesn't matter anyhow. I'd be pissed also if I was another realtor and lost out on the commission but that has nothing to do with Tyra's daughter.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
It’s not a good look for Vince but the response seemed to be on the up and up, bro.

It’s not like the old regime where things just kept getting worse the more they talked and the more folks dug. I appreciate those folks but they were in positions for too long and got too comfortable.

Doubt the current admin will allow much shade, bro.

My point was that people claimed that it was good that Jurich was gone and so was the nepotism but Tyra is doing the same thing. Let’s just hope it doesn’t evolve into something bigger with other family members and close friends. Usually when that happens you start running into problems.

Reactions: nccardfan
Surely, each new hire chooses their own house and realtor. Please provide evidence that new hires must deal with his daughter if they select a residence.

I don’t have any evidence of that because I wasn’t the one who posted that. I was posting in response to it and said that if true Tyra could be heading down a slippery slope if he goes further.

Oh yeah, who tells their new boss when he offers his daughter the realtor up, no thanks?

Reactions: DerekMcPwn
Conflicts of interest are managed first and foremost by simple disclosure.

Everyone knew who Mark Jurich was, and there was no effort to conceal his employment.

"Vince's" daughter was earning real estate commissions supposedly unknown to anyone...

comparing a realtor to a university employee is ridiculous. anyone who has ever bought as house most likely asked a friend who helped them they their house. a realtors business is based on references not interviewing clients. most house buyers could care one bit about who sells or helps them buy a house, they just all want the job done. realtors have a code of ethics and laws they have to follow. and of you are new to a town, the thing you do is ask the people you know if they know a realtor. vince's daughter has a job as a realtor and had it before he was hired. does u of l have an on staff realtor? well then who was mack going to ask, some random person off the street or the guy he trusted enough in what was being said to move to a new job, town and university? who else would mack ask for help other than vince? and why would vince say his daughter couldn;t help out? where is there any impropriety? is the school paying her salary or is this all money that is personal money? morons if you think mark jurich situation compares. that's pure nepotism putting your son on salary. asking your daughter to help someone find a house is doing a good deed.

Three coaches utilized her services. Several others did not. I think the lesson was learned and quickly remedied.
You are also missing the point that Kosmos was making. Vince also allowed Bobby to hire his family members and apparently had no issues until Bobby was canned. If he were still coach, it’s likely they would still be here as well.

In reality, the reports at the time of Tyra’s daughter making these commission on the real estate deals involving these new coaches at UofL indicated that he was unaware. Also, part of the commissions were given back or whatever. I’m not sure but it would be worth someone looking this information up so we could get the correct skinny on the story. Mark Jurich was a valued employee of the athletic department and earned his keep. Vince did screw up that situation but I still support VT and the job he’s doing. Mistakes will be made with anyone in a position of authority.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Ask the hundreds of high profile/high sales realtors, that are also huge UofL CAF supporters, how they feel? After all “daughter” had one sale under her belt.

You are also missing the point that Kosmos was making. Vince also allowed Bobby to hire his family members and apparently had no issues until Bobby was canned. If he were still coach, it’s likely they would still be here as well.

Tyra has Petrino go through the nepotism policy protocol for hiring Ryan Beard to be a university employee. Nick and LD were already on staff. The policy isn’t that you can’t hire family members, it’s that there is a protocol to doing so. Regardless, Tyra’s daughter isn’t a university employee.

If Jurich did this you all would have been calling foul. I just think if Tyra goes down this road with family or friends it will eventually cause trouble.

Tyra has Petrino go through the nepotism policy protocol for hiring Ryan Beard to be a university employee. Nick and LD were already on staff. The policy isn’t that you can’t hire family members, it’s that there is a protocol to doing so. Regardless, Tyra’s daughter isn’t a university employee.
Yeah the protocol is to hire a coach that’s qualified for the position. That wasn’t Nick..

Nick was on staff before Tyra came aboard. I do completely agree that Nick Petrino was woefully under qualified for that position.
I get what you’re saying but if you’re hired as the AD, your first responsibility is to evaluate every coach and their assistants in every sport. I think Tyra did make some changes in other sports.

I get what you’re saying but if you’re hired as the AD, your first responsibility is to evaluate every coach and their assistants in every sport. I think Tyra did make some changes in other sports.

Actually when an AD is hired in the middle of a major scandal, his first responsibility is to ensure that the scandal is being addressed.

Regardless I don’t think there are many head coaches that want the AD having too much input into the assistants.

Reactions: Art79 and gocds
Wrong again. Mark Jurich was an All American at U of L where he earned his degree. Are you saying just because your dad works there and where his dad’s loyalties lie, you can’t work there either? Big difference, Mark earned his position and Tyra’s daughter was given hers because of her relationship.
“Mark earned his position”, says who??? Anytime nepotism plays a role in obtaining a position it usually is not legitimately earned. I call BS on your take, you have no clue what Mark Jurich earned and what he was given!

Reactions: UL_1986
I'll pass on a tramp stamp, but considering he built UofL from basically a mid-major to a P5/ACC caliber program, some fans should show a bit more gratitude, IMO.

JP
I for one was and am still grateful to Tom Jurich. I credit he and James Ramsey big-time for our ability to gain entrance into the ACC. I’m also not crazy about the powers to be that gave Tyra his AD position. But, if you’re a fan (and grad) what are you to do?

I’m a Louisville fan first, not a Tom Jurich fan first. He did a very good job and he (and his family) was compensated handsomely for his efforts.

Jurich made plenty of blunders and there’s nothing wrong with the history books stating both the negatives and positives of his tenure. Those who blindly continue to kiss the feet of Jurich remind me of those who attend church every week and end up following a preacher and not the Lord.

Tyra is the hand we have been dealt, if he makes a good move or decision there’s nothing wrong with passing out kudos to him. If he stubs his toe there’s nothing wrong with calling him out. But, to continually beat him over the head as a handful wish to do, is both counterproductive and childish.

Last edited:
It’s funny when fans stand up for TJ it is considered by some as kissing his feet. However, the Tyra supporters are doing exactly the same in regards VT. People point out their disapproval of TJ for nepotism but support it for VT.

Reactions: nccardfan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT