ADVERTISEMENT

Forde Article on Tyra / UofL Athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually when an AD is hired in the middle of a major scandal, his first responsibility is to ensure that the scandal is being addressed.

Regardless I don’t think there are many head coaches that want the AD having too much input into the assistants.
Unless they are Rick Pitino? Your assistants are what caused the problem. So you’re just going to keep doing what you have been doing? U of L shouldn’t have that luxury. We’re under probation. And as I have heard Tyra say, not just basketball but the entire athletic department.

Unless they are Rick Pitino? Your assistants are what caused the problem. So you’re just going to keep doing what you have been doing? U of L shouldn’t have that luxury. We’re under probation. And as I have heard Tyra say, not just basketball but the entire athletic department.

Yeah so that’s why he instituted a nepotism protocol. Presumably he’s also instituted stronger background vetting of assistants that are recommended for hire by the head coach. I think we all agree that those are steps that are completely necessary.

It’s funny when fans stand up for TJ it is considered by some as kissing his feet. However, the Tyra supporters are doing exactly the same in regards VT. People point out their disapproval of TJ for nepotism but support it for VT.

Most people on here are highly appreciative of what TJ accomplished, culminating in the ACC invite. We also recognize his flaws and how those led to further problems. Let’s call it like it is. “Zipp” has hundreds of posts besmirching the new AD because he has some warped agenda. And then a few select others have decided to parrot him. Ironically, this weird agenda is actually working to damage the legacy TJ more than any other poster’s actions.

Last edited:
Most people on here are highly appreciative of what TJ accomplished, culminating in the ACC invite. We also recognize his flaws and how those led to further problems. Let’s call it line it is. “Zipp” has hundreds of posts besmirching the new AD because he has some warped agenda. And then a few select others have decided to parrot him. Ironically, this weird agenda is actually working to damage the legacy TJ more than any other poster’s actions.
I think what some posters have issues with is trying to lump all of Petrino/Pitino issues on top of Tom simply because he was the AD. Are we going to scrutinize VT equally? I think (not sure it’s fair) but some just want to compare Tom’s revenue generating accomplishments against VT’s. It’s not really fair to compare because the regimes are different and he’s working under different circumstances. Each should be acknowledged for their own accomplishments, meaning VT has a way to go. Over time we will know what kind of AD he is. That’s my opinion.

It’s funny when fans stand up for TJ it is considered by some as kissing his feet. However, the Tyra supporters are doing exactly the same in regards VT. People point out their disapproval of TJ for nepotism but support it for VT.
The real estate issue with Tyra’s daughter should not have happened but it’s apples and oranges IMO. Tyra’s daughter is not on the university payroll with a fat salary like Mark Jurich.

I think what some posters have issues with is trying to lump all of Petrino/Pitino issues on top of Tom simply because he was the AD. Are we going to scrutinize VT equally? I think (not sure it’s fair) but some just want to compare Tom’s revenue generating accomplishments against VT’s. It’s not really fair to compare because the regimes are different and he’s working under different circumstances. Each should be acknowledged for their own accomplishments, meaning VT has a way to go. Over time we will know what kind of AD he is. That’s my opinion.

Unfortunately Tom hitched his wagon to Pitino and Petrino when he doubled down on Pitino twice (after Sypher and after Powell) and when he went all-in on Petrino 2.0.

Of course Vince should be scrutinized but we also need to recognize the effect that the scandals and ongoing uncertainty associated with them represents a real shift for the university.

Reactions: Art79
I'll pass on a tramp stamp, but considering he built UofL from basically a mid-major to a P5/ACC caliber program, some fans should show a bit more gratitude, IMO.

JP
Real fans live in the present and still acknowledge the past. Some fans prefer to wholeheartedly live in the past and scrutinize what is actually a happening currently. It’s pretty sad.

Since so many of YOU were so critical about the past I would think YOU would be more cautious about the future. That is if YOU are a REAL fan but maybe YOU aren’t.

Is this a “fan card” check? “Zipp” hates those.
Hell, "I" hate fan card checks...or questioning a regular poster's fandom. We've most all posted here for quite a few years, through the goods times and bad. Some are more positive than others; some are more vocal when they aren't satisfied with the results than others. But we all know the regulars here ARE undoubtedly UofL fans, with just varying degrees of passion and with varying opinions. So maybe we could seek to find common ground, rather than this endless game of one upmanship and "triggering". Sure would make for better reading and more enjoyable posting. Just one man's opinion.

No it is not from me but others have said if you like TJ or appreciate the things he has achieved you’re not a true fan. You are living in the past and a true fan wouldn’t do that and it has been stated on many post over the past year. My argument on this particular post is so many of you had negative comments on TJ because of nepotism but then you defend Tyra for the same thing.

The half pregnant fans among us believe you can love Jurich and "Vince" simultaneously. I at least respect the new regime mouth breathers who don't espouse medical miracles.

It's clear that "Vince" thinks it's unethical unless his administration and his family practice it. I now understand his rules of the game...

The half pregnant fans among us believe you can love Jurich and "Vince" simultaneously. I at least respect the new regime mouth breathers who don't espouse medical miracles.

It's clear that "Vince" thinks it's unethical unless his administration and his family practice it. I now understand his rules of the game...

Ah yes...those pesky humans that carry multiple thoughts at once in their head. We are capable of more than simple binary decisions.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization. Please feel free to provide some examples to enlighten us.

As for the real estate situation with Tyra's daughter, that was certainly not a good look, but it was quickly rectified pretty well.

I certainly appreciate everything that Jurich did for UofL, especially including the move to the ACC that would probably never have happened without him. He was a great AD. But his legacy also includes multiple major NCAA infractions over the better part of a decade, and I agree that it was time to move on. I don't think that Tyra has been perfect, but I also think that he has navigated through the job pretty well, especially considering the constraints he has faced. From my perspective, we should be able to appreciate both AD's.

Last edited:
Don't tell us you are going to live in a glass house and then pull the shades down for this and that. IMO the shades were down from the get go. I don't care if "he" paints the whole city red.

Real fans live in the present and still acknowledge the past. Some fans prefer to wholeheartedly live in the past and scrutinize what is actually a happening currently. It’s pretty sad.

Funny thing is, I actually don't live in the past. It's because I know what's needed to maintain and advance an elite collegiate athletic program. While I hope the current administration can do that, I have some legitimate concerns.

JP

No it is not from me but others have said if you like TJ or appreciate the things he has achieved you’re not a true fan. You are living in the past and a true fan wouldn’t do that and it has been stated on many post over the past year. My argument on this particular post is so many of you had negative comments on TJ because of nepotism but then you defend Tyra for the same thing.
Again, you keep preaching nepotism. It is difficult to apply nepotism to someone that has not displayed it by giving a family member a job in his sphere. If you have direct proof of VT mandating that new hires must use his daughter as their realtor, show it. I will agree with you if you can show, instead of simply pointing and say he did it.

Reactions: UL_1986
Splitting hairs there aren’t you? Politicians funnel contracts and work to certain people all the time and when it is found out it is big news. You all have set Tyra up as a do gooder so when he does something like this it raises red flags.

Reactions: PHCARD
Splitting hairs there aren’t you? Politicians funnel contracts and work to certain people all the time and when it is found out it is big news. You all have set Tyra up as a do gooder so when he does something like this it raises red flags.

I haven't set him up as anything. However, I do think he is doing a very good job. This is not a splitting hairs debate. Its fact that his daughter is not a UL employee.
You say that VT is showing the same level of nepotism as TJ while in fact, TJ s son was an employee of UL with a salary that was out of reason for his position.. The two cases you are comparing are not similar at all.
Again, show something that indicates that VT forced his new coaching hires to use his daughter as their realtor. You do that and I, and I am sure others, will agree with you about Tyra and nepotism.

Reactions: Art79
Funny thing is, I actually don't live in the past. It's because I know what's needed to maintain and advance an elite collegiate athletic program. While I hope the current administration can do that, I have some legitimate concerns.

JP
It’s a shame the previous AD didn’t oversee his hires more thoroughly and let them run into multiple scandals and almost tarnish our program and legacy. We can now restore integrity. I guess integrity doesn’t mean much to some of you guys. Bummer.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization. Please feel free to provide some examples to enlighten us...
The real estate debacle is/was one.

Involving his own outside business interest with U of L operations is another. (Coincidentally, that successful head coach is also gone.)

Having less than two years to prove himself cuts both ways--not enough to show what "Vince" is capable of. But we know for sure that he's already situated himself atop an ivory tower. The fall from there is pretty far...

@UL_1986

GMdC1hm.jpg

The real estate debacle is/was one.

Involving his own outside business interest with U of L operations is another. (Coincidentally, that successful head coach is also gone.)

Having less than two years to prove himself cuts both ways--not enough to show what "Vince" is capable of. But we know for sure that he's already situated himself atop an ivory tower. The fall from there is pretty far...

That's what I figured - you don't have much to back up your allegation. The real estate "debacle" was remediated by Tyra's daughter giving up her commission, a resolution that I recall even you agreed with a few months ago. As for Louisville City FC playing at Lynn stadium (which I presume you are referring to), there could have been a conflict of interest, but do you have any evidence that the club didn't pay the appropriate rent? If not, you are just grasping at straws, while UofL received some extra revenue and presumably had some new fans introduced to the campus and stadium.

Reactions: UL_1986
That's what I figured - you don't have much to back up your allegation. The real estate "debacle" was remediated by Tyra's daughter giving up her commission, a resolution that I recall even you agreed with a few months ago. As for Louisville City FC playing at Lynn stadium (which I presume you are referring to), there could have been a conflict of interest, but do you have any evidence that the club didn't pay the appropriate rent? If not, you are just grasping at straws, while UofL received some extra revenue and presumably had some new fans introduced to the campus and stadium.
So would the real estate snafu have been undone if it hadn't been detected? How many deals were done BEFORE it was detected? (There's your answer...)

Who decided how much stadium rent was "appropriate"? Who's in charge of the facility? (These dots are easy to connect.)

Like I said, he's only had 1+ years. Kinda early to already have two strikes...

So would the real estate snafu have been undone if it hadn't been detected? How many deals were done BEFORE it was detected? (There's your answer...)

Who decided how much stadium rent was "appropriate"? Who's in charge of the facility? (These dots are easy to connect.)

Like I said, he's only had 1+ years. Kinda early to already have two strikes...

Once again, the real estate situation was remediated. And I found Tyra's up-front transparency about the situation refreshing. As for the soccer deal, you are the one making the allegation, so unless you have details to back up what you are suggesting, perhaps with one of those famous "Zipp" charts, you have identified nothing.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ins-lynn-stadium-whyd-take-so-long/701573002/

(1) In 2016, an Open Cup match for Louisville City FC would have been played at UofK since UofL refused to host the game if Lou City had made it that far. Doesn't seem right to me.

(2) Tyra talked about being "a good community advocate" and showcasing the field to high school players. Seems good to me, and I don't know why anyone would be against that.

(3) "Louisville men's soccer coach Ken Lolla said he and women's coach Karen Ferguson-Dayes have always supported sharing Lynn Stadium with Louisville City when it does not conflict with the Cardinals' match schedules." That and other statements from Lolla in the article (especially about fostering the growth of soccer) seemingly proves that the Lou City games had absolutely
nothing to do with his departure, disproving the thinly veiled accusation from earlier.

(4) "Louisville City and the university have signed separate contracts for each match at Lynn Stadium, which dictate that the athletic department receives the majority of the revenue while the soccer club gets just a portion of ticket sales." I'm on board with that. Again, if there's specific evidence of something else inappropriately favoring Lou City, please share it. But we have no such evidence here or anywhere else that I've seen or heard.

Tyra found out about the situation, remedied it, and went public about it in order to be transparent before being asked, that's how.
Funny how that same reasoning didn't hold water with NCAA violations. Why didn't he know about it in the first place?

(Insert definition of "double standard"...)

Reactions: KozmasAgain
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ins-lynn-stadium-whyd-take-so-long/701573002/

(1) In 2016, an Open Cup match for Louisville City FC would have been played at UofK since UofL refused to host the game if Lou City had made it that far. Doesn't seem right to me.

(2) Tyra talked about being "a good community advocate" and showcasing the field to high school players. Seems good to me, and I don't know why anyone would be against that.

(3) "Louisville men's soccer coach Ken Lolla said he and women's coach Karen Ferguson-Dayes have always supported sharing Lynn Stadium with Louisville City when it does not conflict with the Cardinals' match schedules." That and other statements from Lolla in the article (especially about fostering the growth of soccer) seemingly proves that the Lou City games had absolutely
nothing to do with his departure, disproving the thinly veiled accusation from earlier.

(4) "Louisville City and the university have signed separate contracts for each match at Lynn Stadium, which dictate that the athletic department receives the majority of the revenue while the soccer club gets just a portion of ticket sales." I'm on board with that. Again, if there's specific evidence of something else inappropriately favoring Lou City, please share it. But we have no such evidence here or anywhere else that I've seen or heard.
The coincidences that have occurred with "Vince" are nothing short of amazing.

It was never right for a pro sports franchise to use U of L facilities until a team partly owned by your new AD came along. I'm sure those two events have nothing to do with one another.

Nor does Ken Lolla leaving U of L shortly thereafter mean anything. (Anyone heard where Ken and his wife have turned up?)

And everyone in athletics and "Vince's" family got the "ethics" memo but his daughter who was raking in ill-gotten real estate commissions. I'm sure she was preparing her public acknowledgement and apology when the news broke.

Because it was just another coincidence...

Funny how that same reasoning didn't hold water with NCAA violations. Why didn't he know about it in the first place?

(Insert definition of "double standard"...)
Well, what was the earlier reaction after just the first round of major NCAA violations turned up (and 37 instances over 5 years, not just one)? It was: Commend the coach, give him a new contract, institute nothing to stop it from happening again. I'll take the real estate remedy any day, especially when it was Tyra that "broke the news". Plus there's no comparison in terms of the significance of just those two situations.

I'll get to the bottom line once again, and then let your continue your anti-Tyra crusade... Jurich was a great AD but it was time for him to go. Tyra has done a good, not perfect, job despite significant constraints, and I'm excited for the future of UofL athletics.

It was never right for a pro sports franchise to use U of L facilities until a team partly owned by your new AD came along. I'm sure those two events have nothing to do with one another.

And just what is wrong with being a good steward of community assets and sharing them when the need arises (and keeping the citizens of Louisville from having to go Lexington to watch their team)? I presume that you were ok with the ACC baseball tourney going to Slugger Field, but now you say you are not ok with a reversal of that situation even when the university benefits. Talk about double standards.

Well, what was the earlier reaction after just the first round of major NCAA violations turned up (and 37 instances over 5 years, not just one)? It was: Commend the coach, give him a new contract, institute nothing to stop it from happening again. I'll take the real estate remedy any day, especially when it was Tyra that "broke the news". Plus there's no comparison in terms of the significance of just those two situations.

I'll get to the bottom line once again, and then let your continue your anti-Tyra crusade... Jurich was a great AD but it was time for him to go. Tyra has done a good, not perfect, job despite significant constraints, and I'm excited for the future of UofL athletics.
I've never defended U of L for not knowing about NCAA infractions as you're doing for "Vince" not knowing what his own daughter was doing with employees he had just hired. You tell me the difference in negligence in those situations, except that the current guy has claimed he's made big improvements over his predecessors.
And just what is wrong with being a good steward of community assets and sharing them when the need arises (and keeping the citizens of Louisville from having to go Lexington to watch their team)? I presume that you were ok with the ACC baseball tourney going to Slugger Field, but now you say you are not ok with a reversal of that situation even when the university benefits. Talk about double standards.
That's your opinion, and it doesn't matter if it's shared by your new AD. His opinion doesn't matter because he has a CONFLICT OF INTEREST. If he's as ethical as he claims to be, he should go out of his way to avoid that very type of situation...

I've never defended U of L for not knowing about NCAA infractions as you're doing for "Vince" not knowing what his own daughter was doing with employees he had just hired. You tell me the difference in negligence in those situations, except that the current guy has claimed he's made big improvements over his predecessors.

Nope. Once again, you have mis-characterized what I’ve said. I am certainly disappointed that the real estate situation arose, and I am not defending anyone for it occurring. What followed is what I approved of, including Tyra being up-front and publicizing the issue. I think that his reaction remedied what occurred and ensured that it won’t happen again. As opposed to something like the reaction following 5 years of major NCAA infractions, which were certainly much more important from any perspective. Again, the reaction then was: loudly praise the coach, give him a raise, and clearly not institute the controls necessary to tighten up the basketball program and ensure that major NCAA infractions would not occur again, following which we saw the additional infractions that have left us where we are.

Nope. Once again, you have mis-characterized what I’ve said. I am certainly disappointed that the real estate situation arose, and I am not defending anyone for it occurring. What followed is what I approved of, including Tyra being up-front and publicizing the issue. I think that his reaction remedied what occurred and ensured that it won’t happen again. As opposed to something like the reaction following 5 years of major NCAA infractions, which were certainly much more important from any perspective. Again, the reaction then was: loudly praise the coach, give him a raise, and clearly not institute the controls necessary to tighten up the basketball program and ensure that major NCAA infractions would not occur again, following which we saw the additional infractions that have left us where we are.
Your boy "Vince" was negligent, pure and simple. Say it.

And I don't recall anyone--including you--asking for anyone's head post stripper-gate. To the contrary, FANS were ready to burn Ramsey in effigy for deciding to self impose.

You ain't rewriting history, although I understand how you wanna try...

clowns-2-0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT