ADVERTISEMENT

Do we get gashed on the ground by MSU?

I'll admit that I didn't think we matched up well with Miss St. Sometimes you get two good teams but one is a bad match up for the other. But that was a great win. And just a lot of fun to watch (other than the officiating).

I get ya, but Kentucky beat up a depleted Louisville team. Cunningham had the flu, huge difference when he’s healthy. Our defense still isn’t good, but we could’ve scored way more than we did. Kentucky is a good team, but nowhere near what we made them look like.

Agree completely. It’s a shame we had lost Yeast the week before, we had a bunch of players sick, and we played that entire game in a downpour, when it was very clear that that was a huge advantage for UK. I’ve definitely been of the belief that we’re much closer to UK than either of the last two games showed.

Agree completely. It’s a shame we had lost Yeast the week before, we had a bunch of players sick, and we played that entire game in a downpour, when it was very clear that that was a huge advantage for UK. I’ve definitely been of the belief that we’re much closer to UK than either of the last two games showed.

I am of the 'no excuses school of thought'....until such time the Cards prove it on the field it's not time to talk...it's time to listen to the coaches, get better, smarter and bigger....walk softly and carry a big stick mode MO.

For now they have the bragging rights and justly earned....Cards need to TAKE it back from them.

Next year could be the year that happens or not. Time will tell. Their (uk's) cockiness will be their downfall. Until then, be humble and grateful and grow your brand and skill.

I didn't think the LPT game result had much to do with talent, and I certainly don't think so after tonite's game. That doesn't, however, provide the explanation...

I didn't think the LPT game result had much to do with talent, and I certainly don't think so after tonite's game. That doesn't, however, provide the explanation...
Of course you didn’t - that would fly in the face of your twin theories that 1. Petrino was doing his job and, 2. Tyra is responsible for everything that goes wrong and nothing that goes right.

You also appear to be incorrectly applying the transitive property to our games with MSU and uk and their game with MSU.

Of course you didn’t - that would fly in the face of your twin theories that 1. Petrino was doing his job and, 2. Tyra is responsible for everything that goes wrong and nothing that goes right.

You also appear to be incorrectly applying the transitive property to our games with MSU and uk and their game with MSU.
Your first paragraph is your usual gibberish. The second indicates you don't understand the "transitive property". Big surprise...

Last edited:
Your first paragraph is your usual gibberish. The second indicates you don't understand the "transitive property". Big surprise...
How ironic zipp - given that your posts continually indicate that you don’t understand the game of football - or sports in general. :)

I think a lot of games against middling teams boil down to matchups, and sometimes random peripheral items such as weather, injuries, even illness for key players.

The MSU stud RB was obviously hobbled for example, and they were playing musical chairs @ QB in preparation for the game due to discipline. I believe they also had a couple guys sit that they relied on most of the year. Not diminishing our win, just discussing variables. UofL also was without a stud lineman I believe.

In the UK game the weather was atrocious and that may have lended a helping hand to the team with the size advantage. The UofL QB was also sick. Not excuses, just discussing a couple variables.

Watching the UofL offense operate last night, there is a lot of short passing game required and mobility of the QB seemed to be important. Some of that was neutralized due to weather and maybe Cunningham being sick in Lexington.

Reactions: zipp
I think a lot of games against middling teams boil down to matchups, and sometimes random peripheral items such as weather, injuries, even illness for key players.

The MSU stud RB was obviously hobbled for example, and they were playing musical chairs @ QB in preparation for the game due to discipline. I believe they also had a couple guys sit that they relied on most of the year. Not diminishing our win, just discussing variables. UofL also was without a stud lineman I believe.

In the UK game the weather was atrocious and that may have lended a helping hand to the team with the size advantage. The UofL QB was also sick. Not excuses, just discussing a couple variables.

Watching the UofL offense operate last night, there is a lot of short passing game required and mobility of the QB seemed to be important. Some of that was neutralized due to weather and maybe Cunningham being sick in Lexington.
I don't agree with every word. But props to you for one MISSING word about a 30-point loss..."talent".

I don't agree with every word. But props to you for one MISSING word about a 30-point loss..."talent".

Games can unravel. One of the announcers last night pointed out each UofL loss was by double figures I think? So maybe that's where the "we were 2-10 we aren't good enough" may be kicking in for players that were in the program prior year. There's a lot of variables that go into each outcome. And maybe the fact that the team lost by double figs in all losses is more of an important talking point than what happened with UK - because the trend was in losses it got out of control, making the UK result not so different from the other losses results?

UofL football appears predicated on speed to me. Playing conditions could impact the team in some instances - maybe the UK game fell into this area to some extent.

I don't get too caught up in the outcome of "single" games. I'm going to try to use the entire body of work. They go 8-5, off the 2-10. They had a couple outliers where they played above/below their heads maybe?

I honestly moved on from the UK game when it was in the 3rd Q. I don't have that li'l bro syndrome :)

And I can call this past season a great year for Satterfield & Co while claiming they crapped the bed against their instate rival...

And I can call this past season a great year for Satterfield & Co while claiming they crapped the bed against their instate rival...

They crapped the bed in a few places why cherry pick one result?

You claim to not care too much about this rivalry, yet here you are in a thread immediately after a bowl win talking about some UK.

Yep they crapped the bed.

UK's offensive line strength (Their talented area advantage) pushed around UofL's weak area (defensive line) pretty much at will especially in the ill fated 2nd half curb stomping. And the 'O' was unable to pick up the slack to compensate.

PushUp well documented the shortcomings due to poor recruiting of DL in another thread that you indiscriminately refuse to acknowledge for your own reasons. Their was a huge talent gap in line play in that area and it showed majorly in that game. The weather conditions also worked in their favor - fact. Put it behind and lets agree to get them back next year.

They crapped the bed in a few places why cherry pick one result?...
No question, and I've said as much. The LPT result was just the most recent. We heard some of the same talent garbage after the Miami blowout. I don't recall as much after the FSU game. Of course, how does lack of talent explain the first half only? I guess we had to come with another misdirection narrative.
...You claim to not care too much about this rivalry, yet here you are in a thread immediately after a bowl win talking about some UK.
I don't give a damn about slapd!cks, but that's not true of most here. And these were simply the last two games. Substitute Miami for LPT, same discussion and fine with me...

Yep they crapped the bed.

UK's offensive line strength (Their talented area advantage) pushed around UofL's weak area (defensive line) pretty much at will especially in the ill fated 2nd half curb stomping. And the 'O' was unable to pick up the slack to compensate.

PushUp well documented the shortcomings due to poor recruiting of DL in another thread that you indiscriminately refuse to acknowledge for your own reasons. Their was a huge talent gap in line play in that area and it showed majorly in that game. The weather conditions also worked in their favor - fact. Put it behind and lets agree to get them back next year.
I heard an announcer in the Tech-LPT game just comment about the size of the LPT O-line compared to Tech's defensive front.

Funny, no "pushing around".

Go Hokies!

Of course, how does lack of talent explain the first half only? I guess we had to come with another misdirection narrative.

Talent has a way of wearing down opponents. That is why we typically see more "talented" teams rally in 2nd halves.

If we're saying "talent" is the reason for losses.

Like I said, there are a # of variables that go into wins and losses, and talent is going to be one of those variables - now that you mention it. To say it's a non factor would be false, to say it's the only factor would also be false.

Talent has a way of wearing down opponents. That is why we typically see more "talented" teams rally in 2nd halves.

If we're saying "talent" is the reason for losses.

Like I said, there are a # of variables that go into wins and losses, and talent is going to be one of those variables - now that you mention it. To say it's a non factor would be false, to say it's the only factor would also be false.
Yeah, but the FSU halves were backward unless WE have more talent than FSU.

Sometimes we get our narratives mixed up... :D

Yeah, but the FSU halves were backward unless WE have more talent than FSU.

Sometimes we get our narratives mixed up... :D

It's more about the 4th Q, no mixed up narrative. Was just directly answering your question about the "1st half v 2nd half"... Hope that clarifies it, the 4th Q FSU's "talent" might have come through.

Can't lie, I was at a wedding. I'm not smart enough to explain away wins and losses, which is why I prefer to attribute wins/losses to a multitude of different reasons that only smart coaches and solid analysts really understand.

Everyone knows it’s been a problem for us and MSU is another run heavy team with an SEC Offensive line and a star RB.

I do like that our guys are fresh and our coaches have had a month to prepare. What worries me more is can we run and protect the QBs against them, especially without Mekhi Becton?

I’ll be a hopeful homer and say we keep them under 200 yards rushing and score just enough.
Cards- 24
MSU- 23

Caught huge break with Schrader getting faced smashed by teammate and Hill hurting ankle. Not the same team but Cards can flat score the ball

Good lord talent is always a factor in a game. No one has said it is the only reason Louisville lost any of the games.

They weren’t as good as Notre Dame made mistakes at the end of half.
They didn’t execute late against FSU.
Outmatched against Clemson played about a well as they could missed a couple opportunities.
Played horrible against Miami and UK.

All the teams they lost to happened to have more talent. When you couple that reality with playing poorly you get lopsided games.

The Miami and UK games were very disappointing efforts. They played better after both of them nice job by the coaches.

Reactions: Mayoman
Good lord talent is always a factor in a game. No one has said it is the only reason Louisville lost any of the games.

They weren’t as good as Notre Dame made mistakes at the end of half.
They didn’t execute late against FSU.
Outmatched against Clemson played about a well as they could missed a couple opportunities.
Played horrible against Miami and UK.

All the teams they lost to happened to have more talent. When you couple that reality with playing poorly you get lopsided games.

The Miami and UK games were very disappointing efforts. They played better after both of them nice job by the coaches.
Fine to water things down now. Too many narratives after both the Miami and LPT games were we got blown out because of our significant talent deficit on defense. It was then and it definitely is now bullsh!t...

Fine to water things down now. Too many narratives after both the Miami and LPT games were we got blown out because of our significant talent deficit on defense. It was then and it definitely is now bullsh!t...
You have yet to show any of us any data that shows Louisville has equal talent than they teams they lost too. While everyone has provided you data. Recruiting rankings in that position, transfer portal, NFL projections and actual of field performance for 2 years. This staff did a hell of a job on defense for the season considering EVERYTHING. The players deserve a ton credit as well.

We will evaluate next year on their overall season. We will see if they improve I think they will.

Very interesting comment from the color analyst . First time i heard this one . Brian Brown stated the first practice he had with the defense. It was the worst team he had ever saw the CB didn't understand any coverage because they were told to not touch the receivers. Just shows their was actually no coaching whatsoever to include recruiting in certain positions. Truly amazing what Satt was able to accomplish in one season. To those naysayers go suck a big one.
Petrino and his management of the defense is hard to explain. We will see how the defense progresses as the he grows as a coach. Really young staff.

Since this is a message board, and we’re all pretty free with opinions/theories, what’s yours?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT