ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Search Developments

Since a reminder is needed in another thread turned “zipp”…

The war is over. Kinda like the Ukraine, a battle here and there—or a rogue drone—may surprise, but the result is certain. I have been proven right conclusively about this regime and its (in)capabilities.

For those who wanna believe I’m not a real U of L fan, I don’t need to root against Heird & Co in 2024, not that that’s ever happened. The results are in.

There’s been no big donor(s) AGAIN. Just millions more in red ink. No stream of big time coaches standing in line to get one of the plum college coaching jobs. Now we’re crossing our fingers for an FAU coach.

And we won’t understand how only 12-13 thousand season ticket holders jump on the train over the Summer and Fall, meaning those buyout millions spent are again gone for good.

But I don’t need for that to transpire, nor do I want it. ‘zipp’ has been and continues to be right, and that ain’t changing…
I mean if you’re dead set on doing the equal parts laughable and super cringy referring to yourself in the third person thingy - at least you could do it correctly.

#artistNKAthetrashcanofentertainment

They play each other this week. Winner gets the job.
To paraphrase the great Milt Wagner when the Cards were getting ready to play Drexel in the ‘86 Tournament “That Chris Collins has only been involved in those ‘academic’ schools.”

Thanks for the humor ‘Iowa Muse’ but Dusty May looks like he’s our guy and if so, I’m thrilled. Collins can coach though.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I mean if you’re dead set on doing the equal parts laughable and super cringy referring to yourself in the third person thingy - at least you could do it correctly.

A weird victory lap, even for that guy. I don't think anyone is paying too much attention to the content of his posts really. Maybe the one guy that keeps threatening to leave. And a few UK fans. Oh and the guy that ignores everyone. Quite a group!

Also, I recall the troll shouting year 3 for Ken a few times (FSU game thread!) . I guess that wasn't part of the I told ya so.

What a weirdo. What do you think goes through his mind when he gets temp bans? "It's them, not me!"

A weird victory lap, even for that guy. I don't think anyone is paying too much attention to the content of his posts really. Maybe the one guy that keeps threatening to leave. And a few UK fans. Oh and the guy that ignores everyone. Quite a group!

Also, I recall the troll shouting year 3 for Ken a few times (FSU game thread!) . I guess that wasn't part of the I told ya so.

What a weirdo. What do you think goes through his mind when he gets temp bans? "It's them, not me!"
One more now obvious fact is the dogs that keep sniffin'.

Better than to still look for miraculous turnaround in the same old $hit show...

Certain areas of almost every town in America are undesirable or I guess “Trash” in your words.

All I know is that I’ve met lots of people who have settled here from all over the country and they really like it here.
Correct. I've lived here all my life and haven't left yet,even though I've been tempted. Let's just say there are parts of Louisville I don't go into nor have the desire to. It's changed a Hell of a lot since my childhood. Not all of that change has been good.

As I’ve never been either a 12YO girl or, a bitter old man, I can’t speak intelligently about the thought process of the TCoE. There’s a healthy dose of narcissism with a dash of persecution complex. He clearly feels unheard - which is why he continues to repeat himself.

Obsession is a slippery slope, and he’s been fully down the rabbit hole for quite a while now. In the end, he seems mostly starved for adult conversation or really, interaction at any level.

I mean 50K+ posts? It’s a cry for help…

Correct. I've lived here all my life and haven't left yet,even though I've been tempted. Let's just say there are parts of Louisville I don't go into nor have the desire to. It's changed a Hell of a lot since my childhood. Not all of that change has been good.
i was born in upper ny but lived here all my life since two, i've traveled to 47 states and 21 countries, and b far every other city has worse places than the worst places here in town. way worse. thankfully, we have southern hospitality with northern sensibility. the city is 2/3 white and 1/3 black approximately so there's there's a good mix of people when you out on the town. people who come to work here and they come from all aroudn the country adn the world so a great mix of culture, many thru GE, ford, UPs etc, find that people will smile at you on the street and hold the doors for you. teh food is great, the weather mild, and the drugs fun. at some point we had the most parks per capita in the country, the most different types of restaurants per capita, one fo the richest zip codes before the tech craze hit, our bars stay open until 4 am, you can drink on sundays, our main crops is tobacco, bourbon and pot which we enjoy while gambling on horse racing. our weather is mild, and we are at the center of the east to so can get to every major city in a 12 hour drive, a ton of them in less than six. property, utility and costs are super low compared to all other major cities. people are friendly for the most part, but so much more so than the rest of the country. it just doesn;t have mountains, or snow, or the ocean. but hey baby, we're in the center of most of the drug trade in the country and that benefits a lot of people so there's a lot fo partying and fun going on in the city without you having to look very hard to find it. oh, the good ol' days...

and fyi, concerning change, it always happens, it never stops, physics tells you everything has entropy and thus declines, and all change is equally good and bad, all depending on perspective. simply, there is always an up with the down, the ying with the yang, left/right, positive/negative, good/bad, peace/war and thus all cities have areas that are horrible and areas that are vulgar displays of wealth. "if one of us is changed then none of us are free"-solomon burke

Last edited:
From Crawford:

So here’s my understanding of where things are tonight for Louisville.

1). Drew is working out an enhanced deal at Baylor and, from what I am told and what others have reported, is out as a candidate at Louisville.

2). May is being pursued by Louisville (and others). He also has a team in the NCAA Tournament, which takes precedence. People will have to be patient.

3). The rest have shuffled a bit. Cronin’s name, both at Michigan and Louisville, seems to have cooled.

3a). As will happen, some names resurface as candidates drop out, and others get a fresh look. In that group right now are Charleston coach Pat Kelsey (a former assistant to Mack and Dino Gaudio), Shaheen Holloway (Seton Hall), and Eric Musselman (Arkansas). Don’t read anything into that order. I don’t know how they rank. Others may pop onto this list.

In his defense, he probably has no idea May reached the F4.

But he can taste it. Something is happening soon and he cannot wait. It's probably not going to be epic like Payne, but hell it could be, and the deck is stacked against his AD to find a HC with much of a resume.

After elites like UNC and Duke hire guys with a combined 0 wins, that deck looks stacked against most everyone, not that he'd understand that either.

But anyway, whoever is next man up might fail! Yes, it's Xmas Eve every day for the troll.

GO CARDS?

PS - Just don't respond! Sniffin. Hatin. Ignore is your friend. etc.
I hope the artist appreciates that the hiring of CRP was no stroke of genius but pure luck. We just happened to have a job available and one of the best coaches ever just happened to be unemployed. No buyout, just a straight hire. A huge part of Jurich’s estimable resume was due to pure dumb luck. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s a different situation from the one Hierd finds himself in.

If May were smart and I'm sure he is. He will accept a contract extension from FAU only to bide time when IU lets Woodson go after another disappointing year.

At this point I'm going to wait to see who we hire before making any judgements.

Hopefully May will get eliminated this weekend and we'll at least get an answer on that one.

I think if May were staying and waiting for the IU job to open up we would have heard about it yesterday like we heard about Drew.

The only question seems to be whether May will pick UofL, Michigan, or some other team.

If May were smart and I'm sure he is. He will accept a contract extension from FAU only to bide time when IU lets Woodson go after another disappointing year.
A couple of things: - 1) Im sure there is some allure to return to his alma mater but perhaps that isn’t as big a deal as some like to think. 2) Turning down the opportunity to coach at a top 7 program and more than triple your salary on the off chance your alma mater fires its coach and decides to hire you would be the opposite of smart. 3) Woodson is an alum - is there appetite for another alum at IU? Reportedly their number 1 target would be Bruce Pearl who has actually said IU would be a dream job

I hope the artist appreciates that the hiring of CRP was no stroke of genius but pure luck. We just happened to have a job available and one of the best coaches ever just happened to be unemployed. No buyout, just a straight hire. A huge part of Jurich’s estimable resume was due to pure dumb luck. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s a different situation from the one Hierd finds himself in.
Completely unfounded opinion on your part. There’s always a marquee coach out there like Jay Wright or possibly Billy Donovan. Jurich had a big time job opening and went big. Now our primary targets are at Indiana State and Florida Atlantic.

Pitino’s original focus was the Michigan job, no lightweight. After talking to Jurich, he was coming here.

And Jurich’s record at finding and reataining good coaches is documented. He didn’t need “luck” to excel at that here for two decades…

Completely unfounded opinion on your part. There’s always a marquee coach out there like Jay Wright or possibly Billy Donovan. Jurich had a big time job opening and went big. Now our primary targets are at Indiana State and Florida Atlantic.

Pitino’s original focus was the Michigan job, no lightweight. After talking to Jurich, he was coming here.

And Jurich’s record at finding and reataining good coaches is documented. He didn’t need “luck” to excel at that here for two decades…
Oddly enough, Dusty May’s other focus is Michigan. I feel confident we will prevail again. Good times ahead Zipper!

So if May chooses U of L, it will be on par with Pitino coming here. Funny stuff.

Follow-up question esp for @beantowncard

If Heird had landed Jay Wright, would it have been “pure dumb luck”?…

Last edited:
At this point I'm going to wait to see who we hire before making any judgements.

Hopefully May will get eliminated this weekend and we'll at least get an answer on that one.

I think if May were staying and waiting for the IU job to open up we would have heard about it yesterday like we heard about Drew.

The only question seems to be whether May will pick UofL, Michigan, or some other team.
Why would IU fire Woodson? He's an alum. He played for Knight. He had Knight's approval. He has 3 winning seasons in 3 years. Surely he will get at least a 4th.

So if May chooses U of L, it will be on par with Pitino coming here. Funny stuff.

Did Jurich work with pitino prior to his hiring as Heird did with Wright? (No)

Is Jay Wright looking for a college HC job like pitino was? (No)

Has Wright lived in Kentucky and, spent a bunch of his free time in Louisville? (No)

Was Michigan basketball considered a top 10 program of all time as UofL basketball was? (No)

Is your comparison between the two situations remotely comparable? (No)

Completely unfounded opinion on your part. There’s always a marquee coach out there like Jay Wright or possibly Billy Donovan. Jurich had a big time job opening and went big. Now our primary targets are at Indiana State and Florida Atlantic...
So, if we don't land Wright or Donovan, then the hire is a failure? Yes or no? Careful, I'll be glad to review the results with you in a few years.

Why would IU fire Woodson? He's an alum. He played for Knight. He had Knight's approval. He has 3 winning seasons in 3 years. Surely he will get at least a 4th.
IU isn't firing Woodson this year. They've already said Woodson is returning for Year 4.

From reading the IU board, I learned from their fans that their admin floated Pearl's name a few weeks before the end of the season, presumably to light a fire under Woodson after this lackluster season where they missed the NCAA Tournament.

One possible scenario I was referring to is, if Woodson fails to make the NCAA Tournament again next year, he'll then get fired and May would potentially come over as his replacement.

If May had said "no I'm staying put, sorry Michigan and Louisville" it would have lent more credibility to that possible scenario. He didn't say "no", so presumably he's taking one of Louisville, Michigan, or some other unknown job as soon as his team finishes up its NCAA Tournament run.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I think the point is Josh has to hire from a pool of employed successful coaches. Tom and card fans had CRP dropped into their lap as an unemployed big name when hired. And for CRP going from being terminated in the NBA to a college in a place with huge basketball support must have looked like a lifeline back to the headlines.

Hindsight works both ways.

Reactions: BPGhost
i was born in upper ny but lived here all my life since two, i've traveled to 47 states and 21 countries, and b far every other city has worse places than the worst places here in town. way worse. thankfully, we have southern hospitality with northern sensibility. the city is 2/3 white and 1/3 black approximately so there's there's a good mix of people when you out on the town. people who come to work here and they come from all aroudn the country adn the world so a great mix of culture, many thru GE, ford, UPs etc, find that people will smile at you on the street and hold the doors for you. teh food is great, the weather mild, and the drugs fun. at some point we had the most parks per capita in the country, the most different types of restaurants per capita, one fo the richest zip codes before the tech craze hit, our bars stay open until 4 am, you can drink on sundays, our main crops is tobacco, bourbon and pot which we enjoy while gambling on horse racing. our weather is mild, and we are at the center of the east to so can get to every major city in a 12 hour drive, a ton of them in less than six. property, utility and costs are super low compared to all other major cities. people are friendly for the most part, but so much more so than the rest of the country. it just doesn;t have mountains, or snow, or the ocean. but hey baby, we're in the center of most of the drug trade in the country and that benefits a lot of people so there's a lot fo partying and fun going on in the city without you having to look very hard to find it. oh, the good ol' days...

and fyi, concerning change, it always happens, it never stops, physics tells you everything has entropy and thus declines, and all change is equally good and bad, all depending on perspective. simply, there is always an up with the down, the ying with the yang, left/right, positive/negative, good/bad, peace/war and thus all cities have areas that are horrible and areas that are vulgar displays of wealth. "if one of us is changed then none of us are free"-solomon burke
Yeah, I'm aware of everything you mentioned. I've lived in all parts of Louisville at different points of my life. Have been fairly happy with my time here until this last JCPS propert tax horseshit that was thrust down our throats LITERALLY. I was ready to bolt after that disgrace and how it was done. Much more like that,I'll pick up camp and move the heck outta here. Once my county govt.starts screwing me and others over,it's time for new scenery.

merely pointing out that Michigan and UofL both trying to get the same guy. Of course, you just continue to shit on anything UofL. It’s f’ing sad Zipp. You are better than this!

Reactions: cardinalrod

You can’t be serious. There is no unemployed Rick Pitino looking for a college job out there. The Louisville job had not been open for 30 years. Tom got really, really lucky. That’s fine- I’d rather be lucky than smart- but he was lucky. The pool of coaches available to Hierd is nowhere close to Pitino. It’s not fair to compare the two hires, nor does it reflect on Hierd vs Jurich.

Did Jurich work with pitino prior to his hiring as Heird did with Wright? (No)

Is Jay Wright looking for a college HC job like pitino was? (No)

Has Wright lived in Kentucky and, spent a bunch of his free time in Louisville? (No)

Was Michigan basketball considered a top 10 program of all time as UofL basketball was? (No)

Is your comparison between the two situations remotely comparable? (No)
Was Wright formerly the LPT coach? Did he bag $10 million a year two decades ago?

Is Heird recruiting coaches to play in Conference USA?

Absolutely right, no comparison. Yet we’re still gunning for coaches at midmajor programs…

So, if we don't land Wright or Donovan, then the hire is a failure? Yes or no? Careful, I'll be glad to review the results with you in a few years.
Never said failure. It appears the hire won’t be any great accomplishment on Heird’s part.

We’re moving down the list of candidates for what some still believe is a coveted job paying big money. Why is that?…

merely pointing out that Michigan and UofL both trying to get the same guy. Of course, you just continue to shit on anything UofL. It’s f’ing sad Zipp. You are better than this!
I was responding to the guy trying to diminish prior regime accomplishments to make the clowns we have now look better.

And while I get accused by the same few of always bringing up that regime.

If you can’t defend the clowns on their own accomplishments, maybe they’re not great accomplishments…

The clowns now hired Coach Jeff Brohm. And got rid of his predecessor without a payout. Past administrations fired him, and then couldn’t get him back.

Side note and not to hijack the thread but a serious question. Why do people think rehiring Pitino would work out better than rehiring Petrino?

Reactions: BPGhost
The clowns now hired Coach Jeff Brohm. And got rid of his predecessor without a payout. Past administrations fired him, and then couldn’t get him back.

Side note and not to hijack the thread but a serious question. Why do people think rehiring Pitino would work out better than rehiring Petrino?
I agree there's no way Pitino would ever come back here. He's close to retiring anyway. However, there's no comparison with Petrino who has never been confused for a players coach.

RP is dedicated to his craft and is more of a teacher than BP is. He's achieved the highest stature in coaching with the hall of fame, yet still wants to coach. BP is nothing like that.

Pitino will probably have St. Johns in the elite 8 next season. Petrino will never see that kind of success again. So yes, if the skies fell and RP was brought back, 20 win seasons would be in order rather quickly. RP would never just quit on his coaching during the season like BP.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I wouldn't want Pitino back. We just spent 6 years under an NCAA cloud due to his inept administration of his staff. Plus he's past retirement age, he should be playing shuffleboard
and hanging out at Italian restaurants in Florida

Look around man, there's shit happening all over college basketball. Pitino happened to be at the start of the chaos, so he couldn't hang on. That didn't happen to Bill Self or Sean Miller.

Pitino was definitely in charge and was responsible, but I will never believe he knew what McGee was doing and let it go. That one story with the strippers doomed UofL basketball and it's going to take a miracle to get over it.

Pitino would never come back here, even if he were much younger. But if he did, we would win again and the Yum center would have more than 5 thousand people attending the games.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Yeah, I'm aware of everything you mentioned. I've lived in all parts of Louisville at different points of my life. Have been fairly happy with my time here until this last JCPS propert tax horseshit that was thrust down our throats LITERALLY. I was ready to bolt after that disgrace and how it was done. Much more like that,I'll pick up camp and move the heck outta here. Once my county govt.starts screwing me and others over,it's time for new scenery.
fyi, on the taxes, may i suggest selling your house and simply renting so you don't have to b$tch anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT