ADVERTISEMENT

Cards averaging 682 YPG. Clemson only allowing 218 YPG.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Something's got to give. Louisville holding their own defensively- allowing 278 YPG. Clemson is still trying to figure out their groove offensively, but averaging a rather impressive 452 YPG. I bet a lot of schools would love to be finding their groove averaging those numbers. Scoring wise, Cards are averaging 63.5 PPG, Clemson with 33.5 PPG. Will this game be a high scoring affair, or will the defenses take over? Regardless, I'm liking Louisville's chances.

I have no clue what to expect to be honest. Clemson is the next mark upward on the measuring stick. Beating FSU was a step in the right direction, but that was @ home. Beating a quality opponent like Clemson on the road is going to be very difficult but if we play as well as we did against FSU, then we'll have a chance.

Those numbers are Averages. Clemson allowed Troy over 400 yards, but the average is brought down by South Carolina State getting about 150 yards. The other two schools, GT, and Auburn are not known for their yard per game or offensive production, either.

I think we can surpass Clemson's average for yards allowed.

I believe we run the ball with success, and that will open up our pass attack with the long ball. The offensive total will look like our normal, and be well above what clemson is used to giving up.

Reactions: American Male
I've followed Clemson for several years (living here in SC) and I can tell you they are hard to figure out when it comes to wins and losses. They have a tendency to play to the level of their opponent, which is a bad thing when you play a Troy but it ain't bad when you're playing FSU or Alabama.

Reactions: nccardfan
The only significant concern I have is our patience on offense. We have been conditioned to be successful with a lot of scoring and big plays. A good defensive team like Clemson will slow us down, and we have to be willing to take what they give us. A diverse offensive team like ours will have our opportunities. We have to take our shots, but be satisfied with longer, sustained drives and good fundamental football.

I hope I'm wrong and the game is a wide-open shootout, because that definitely favors the good guys...

Clemson had to replace a handful of players, so it was expected they'd take a few games to hit their stride. They have a ton of weapons.

I see a bloody, hard fought classic. Both defenses are top notch but because of the 2 stellar QBs (not to mention offensive talent and great coaches) I see it
Cards-34
Tigers-28

I have no clue what to expect to be honest. Clemson is the next mark upward on the measuring stick. Beating FSU was a step in the right direction, but that was @ home. Beating a quality opponent like Clemson on the road is going to be very difficult but if we play as well as we did against FSU, then we'll have a chance.

Great post. I'm not sure the numbers really tell you anything at this point. If you all play like you did against FSU, then you have more than just a chance... I think you would be a heavy favorite. I think FSU suffered from almost a surprise attack type situation. (at least I hope that's what that was) Hopefully Clemson has a strong game plan for Jackson. Honestly, I think if Clemson wins, it will be because Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins and Pagano got a ton a penetration on the interior of your O line.
Clemson's O line has suffered a little this season... but they got the job done vs. Auburn and that good enough for me at this point. Auburn's D line is one of the best there is. I really hope this game is epic and not a blow out like the FSU game, LOL!

Didn't Bonnafon play most of the Clemson game last year? And we almost had that one they can't prepare for the buzz saw they are about to see 56 to 28 is what I'm calling.

Last year was a quarterback revolving door. Hell, I forgot that Jackson took a couple snaps against Clemson last year.

But the guy who got most of the snaps was Kyle Bolin. It probably cost us the game...

And I'm smart enough to know with 3 posts on your belt your a Troll probably living in Lexington.

Troy, SC State, and GT are not offensive juggernauts. However Charlotte, Syracuse, and Marshall have suspect defenses. I'm going with the homer pick, Louisville Offense > Clemson Defense.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Troy, SC State, and GT are not offensive juggernauts. However Charlotte, Syracuse, and Marshall have suspect defenses. I'm going with the homer pick, Louisville Offense > Clemson Defense.
that may not be a homer pick. J alexander has to cover williams and washimgton has to act likr a d1 corner and we win easily

Yes, I think there's been a bit too much praise for Clemson's defensive numbers. Watching the experts on ESPN they praise those numbers despite Clemson having lost 8 starters from last season. They have to know that Troy had over 400 yards of offense and that Auburn doesn't have a QB worth a damn and Ga Tech's option hasn't exactly put up the big numbers lately. South Carolina State doesn't count.

They will be facing the top scoring and yardage offense in the nation Saturday night. That young defense hasn't seen anything like what they're about to see, yet those ESPN experts seem to think that doesn't matter. FSU has great speed and talent on their defense and they gave up 63 points. I suspect Clemson will fare better but this talk that Clemson has this top 3 defense based on the numbers is disingenuous.

Eventually they'll have to stack the box to address Radcliff and our option then Bobby will spread them out. They adjust to lamar having a LB spying but Jackson is just too much and he races away in a highlight reel 30 yard rushing TD. Clemson gathers itself, settles down to a shallow zone with a deep cover 2 and sends in a weak side OLB to keep pressure on LJ to force a stupid throw down field. With success Jackson briefly folds and throws an interception. Clemson takes over and moves the ball with ferocious intent however Louisville quickly answers applying pressure and with a big sack Clemson is forced to punt away what appeared to be a promising 45 yard drive.....Louisville takes the field deep in its own territory and the defensive landscape is familiar. Cards nickel and dime to a 3rd and short, Jackson drops back to address a short underneath route but pump fakes, settles in the pocket and throws a bomb 40+yard post to Quick! The crowd explodes! Clemson takes the field and feeling the momentum shift starts playing sloppy, fumbles but recovers and scores on a painstakingly long drive, slowing Cardinal momentum. Louisville goes 3 and out then Clemson getting aggressive after their defensive arm flexes and controlled offense prevails; throws a pick during a futile attempt to throw us off balance. Louisville comes out and scores after chewing up the clock with a strike to Hikutini from a play action pass. Clemson really sweats, the crowd groes restless and they muster up a big play for the TD to keep it interesting. Cards come out and a stupid penalty costs us what shouldve been a touchdown. Shelby county walk on takes the field and hammers a longshot diligently putting up 3. Cards up 24-14 Clemson with some confidence and on a must score drive to keep the game close midway in the 3rd totally shiats the bed.... they fall completely apart with penatly after penalty! A stupid turnover on 3rd and long lead to an easy Louisville score after superb field position. Cardinals can now hear their road fans roaring with excitement! Bobby subsequently runs up the score in whatever way he sees fit and Lamar takes his usual late 4th quarter break. Clemson fans are outraged, disgusted and in shock. They feel disrepected and violated. Riots ensue and the whole stadium engulfs itself in panic and rage but most of all....disbelief. They desperately beg for their 2 dollar bills back out of spite, flasks are polished off and beers aare either chugged or thrown. Fans decimated after a long night of unrest finally sit down the day after in a reflective, hungover new found mindset watch sportscenter and delightfuly become distracted in the devloping scandal of a certain UK official and then realize life for Clemson isnt that bad. After all... they could be Ky. They accept they've got a new ACC foe to deal with year in and year out and a mutual respect is born. Our highlights take over the airwaves and we all prepare for a new era of awesome ACC football, new rivals and KY shame. Cards win 52- 24.

Eventually they'll have to stack the box to address Radcliff and our option then Bobby will spread them out. They adjust to lamar having a LB spying but Jackson is just too much and he races away in a highlight reel 30 yard rushing TD. Clemson gathers itself, settles down to a shallow zone with a deep cover 2 and sends in a weak side OLB to keep pressure on LJ to force a stupid throw down field. With success Jackson briefly folds and throws an interception. Clemson takes over and moves the ball with ferocious intent however Louisville quickly answers applying pressure and with a big sack Clemson is forced to punt away what appeared to be a promising 45 yard drive.....Louisville takes the field deep in its own territory and the defensive landscape is familiar. Cards nickel and dime to a 3rd and short, Jackson drops back to address a short underneath route but pump fakes, settles in the pocket and throws a bomb 40+yard post to Quick! The crowd explodes! Clemson takes the field and feeling the momentum shift starts playing sloppy, fumbles but recovers and scores on a painstakingly long drive, slowing Cardinal momentum. Louisville goes 3 and out then Clemson getting aggressive after their defensive arm flexes and controlled offense prevails; throws a pick during a futile attempt to throw us off balance. Louisville comes out and scores after chewing up the clock with a strike to Hikutini from a play action pass. Clemson really sweats, the crowd groes restless and they muster up a big play for the TD to keep it interesting. Cards come out and a stupid penalty costs us what shouldve been a touchdown. Shelby county walk on takes the field and hammers a longshot diligently putting up 3. Cards up 24-14 Clemson with some confidence and on a must score drive to keep the game close midway in the 3rd totally shiats the bed.... they fall completely apart with penatly after penalty! A stupid turnover on 3rd and long lead to an easy Louisville score after superb field position. Cardinals can now hear their road fans roaring with excitement! Bobby subsequently runs up the score in whatever way he sees fit and Lamar takes his usual late 4th quarter break. Clemson fans are outraged, disgusted and in shock. They feel disrepected and violated. Riots ensue and the whole stadium engulfs itself in panic and rage but most of all....disbelief. They desperately beg for their 2 dollar bills back out of spite, flasks are polished off and beers aare either chugged or thrown. Fans decimated after a long night of unrest finally sit down the day after in a reflective, hungover new found mindset watch sportscenter and delightfuly become distracted in the devloping scandal of a certain UK official and then realize life for Clemson isnt that bad. After all... they could be Ky. They accept they've got a new ACC foe to deal with year in and year out and a mutual respect is born. Our highlights take over the airwaves and we all prepare for a new era of awesome ACC football, new rivals and KY shame. Cards win 52- 24.
Learn to use paragraphs...no one wants to look at this wall of text.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Looks like you did
No offense, but I gotta admit, I didn't. When I see a "wall" of text, from anybody, I have to pass over it. Just to much work to read. Now if there are paragraphs? Different story.;) And blah blah blah blah And blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blahAnd blah blah blah blah.

No offense, but I gotta admit, I didn't.

When I see a "wall" of text, from anybody, I have to pass over it.

Just to much work to read.

Now if there are paragraphs? Different story.;)

And blah blah blah blah.And blah blah blah blah.And blah blah blah blah.

Which is easier?

Last edited:
Reactions: willtiger1234
Well I'll keep that in mind next time. Not even worth the edit because it was a joke to begin with. Good luck on Saturday willy....you're going to need it.

Well I'll keep that in mind next time. Not even worth the edit because it was a joke to begin with. Good luck on Saturday willy....you're going to need it.
Thanks, same to you. Love having a big time ACC game that doesn't include FSU. This is a playoff game and should be electric. If any of you making the trip need advice, I'll do my best to answer any questions.

I've followed Clemson for several years (living here in SC) and I can tell you they are hard to figure out when it comes to wins and losses. They have a tendency to play to the level of their opponent, which is a bad thing when you play a Troy but it ain't bad when you're playing FSU or Alabama.
I totally agree with your point historically, but in recent years, that has changed. Clemson has not had a really good game this year and has made a lot of mistakes and still won all four. We have an 18 game home winning streak and have not lost to team we were supposed to beat in a long time. Dabo has instilled the mentality in the team that every game is the most important game of the year.

I totally agree with your point historically, but in recent years, that has changed. Clemson has not had a really good game this year and has made a lot of mistakes and still won all four. We have an 18 game home winning streak and have not lost to team we were supposed to beat in a long time. Dabo has instilled the mentality in the team that every game is the most important game of the year.
Last betting line I saw has UofL favored by 3 points now. Not that it matters. The better team on Saturday will win the game. Personally, I feel that team is UofL, but that doesn't matter either. The winner will prove who's the better team on the field. It should be one hell of a game! I'm excited. :D

Reactions: cutiger653
Last betting line I saw has UofL favored by 3 points now. Not that it matters. The better team on Saturday will win the game. Personally, I feel that team is UofL, but that doesn't matter either. The winner will prove who's the better team on the field. It should be one hell of a game! I'm excited. :D
It's a huge game for both teams and I have no doubt that both will come ready to play. The outcome will probably come down to execution and turnovers. Can't wait for this one to get here and I get to be on the field for a pre-game recognition, so that makes it even more exciting.

Reactions: Cue Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT