ADVERTISEMENT

Brace yourselves

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
From what was said by Heather Dinnich on CFB daily it looks like we are going to be left at the altar again this week in terms of the top 4. Her thoughts were
Alabama
OSU
Michigan
Clemson
Not sure where we were in her equation. Apparently conference champions and head to head are the most important factors. This means that in some backwards way it is better to lose to a team that is barely over .500 at home than a team that is 9-1 on the road. Good losses are irrelevant. Seems like they only apply to the SEC.

That is Heather's opinion which holds as much water as Paul Finbaum. I like Heather but lucky for us she doesn't vote or she doesn't have inside information, it is just her opinion.
They claimed she has committee connections and basically is like a liaison between ESPN and the committee.

Then placing Michigan in the top four after a loss to a bad team and losing their quarterback shows stupidity in the part of the committee.

The committee doesn't project. They rank teams according to where they think the teams are as of Saturday. Michigan losing its QB today does not factor into the equation.

The reasoning is sound - who is to say Michigan will not be as good or better going forward? Generally when a team loses its starting QB it regresses. But that is not a hard and fast rule. Look at Ohio State in 2014. They didn't skip a beat and, IMO, would not have beaten Alabama with Barrett at QB. The committee's position is to wait and see what teams will actually do. Their future rankings will reflect whatever they achieve or fail to achieve on the field.

I hope they saw their loss to a bad Iowa team which happened on Saturday.

You are kind of missing a couple of points here. First, losing on the road to a now 6-4 team which is generally well coached by a highly regarded head coach is not necessarily seen as a "bad loss" and none thinks a Kirk Ferentz team is a "bad" team. They are always competitive.

Second, it doesn't matter what the rankings are this week. If Michigan takes a step back due to losing their starting QB they will lose at Ohio State on the 26th and will be out of the picture. Where they are tomorrow means nothing.

Third, whether UL is ahead of Michigan tomorrow or behind, the Michigan loss hurts UL going forward. Without their QB, they are now more likely to lose to Ohio State. That would put Penn State into the Big 10 championship and leave OSU potentially at #2 with one loss, but never to be Big 10 Champ. If OSU is #2 tomorrow night, UL is pretty much cooked unless a whole lot of craziness happens or, at least, Michigan finds a way to win in the shoe November 26th.

Reactions: EasyCard
From what was said by Heather Dinnich on CFB daily it looks like we are going to be left at the altar again this week in terms of the top 4. Her thoughts were
Alabama
OSU
Michigan
Clemson
Not sure where we were in her equation. Apparently conference champions and head to head are the most important factors. This means that in some backwards way it is better to lose to a team that is barely over .500 at home than a team that is 9-1 on the road. Good losses are irrelevant. Seems like they only apply to the SEC.
Pat Forde had the same thing over on Yahoo. Michigan and OSU still have to square off. Not concerned as of now.

Reactions: American Male
You sure do have a lot of "if" scenarios and how come PSU is held in such high esteem? They have 2 losses and they only have one win over a top team. Sounds like you have a double standard for us and who ever might make it.

I don't hold Penn State in any esteem - well, not a lot. If Penn State wins out (likely - at Rutgers then home vs. IU) and Ohio State beats Michigan, Penn State wins the division and plays in the Big 10 Championship. That leaves OSU as a one loss non-champion sitting at #2 in the rankings. (If that is where they are tomorrow night.)

It's always good to get a bama fan's perspective. Let's go ahead and break down Iowa. You can always count on truly bias feedback since factual information is never used as a part of the analysis.

bama fan - Iowa is well coached, 6-4, always competitive, no one thinks they are a bad loss for Michigan

September 17, 2016, in Iowa City - FCS North Dakota St. 23 - "always competitive" Iowa 21

Not that I need to continue, but they also lost at home to Northwestern. And before someone tries to argue Northwestern is good at 5-5, maybe check the results of their first two games.

Victories over Miami-OH, Iowa St, Rutgers, Minn and Purdue before Saturday.

Keep bringing the insight buddy!!!!!

I don't hold Penn State in any esteem - well, not a lot. If Penn State wins out (likely - at Rutgers then home vs. IU) and Ohio State beats Michigan, Penn State wins the division and plays in the Big 10 Championship. That leaves OSU as a one loss non-champion sitting at #2 in the rankings. (If that is where they are tomorrow night.)

So you got PSU playing IU again.... solid

PSU has 2 losses and one was by 39 pts. Seems like something is very wrong with the system if they make the playoffs. Not saying they will or won't.

It's always good to get a bama fan's perspective. Let's go ahead and break down Iowa. You can always count on truly bias feedback since factual information is never used as a part of the analysis.

bama fan - Iowa is well coached, 6-4, always competitive, no one thinks they are a bad loss for Michigan

September 17, 2016, in Iowa City - FCS North Dakota St. 23 - "always competitive" Iowa 21

Not that I need to continue, but they also lost at home to Northwestern. And before someone tries to argue Northwestern is good at 5-5, maybe check the results of their first two games.

Boiler up bruh

Unsurprisingly, as basketball fan doesn't know jacks*** about college football.

North Dakota State - currently #3 in Div I-AA (FCS)

2011 - FCS National Champs - included a win at Minnesota
2012 - FCS National Champs - included a win at Colorado State
2013 - FCS National Champs - included a win at Kansas St.
2014 - FCS National Champs - included win at Iowa St.

Kirk Ferentz

18th season at Iowa
127-87 coming into this season
13 winning seasons, 4 losing

If you ask Barry Alvarez, Jeff Bower or Ty Willingham, they will tell you he is among the most respected coaches in the game and his teams are always well prepared. I know - you have no idea who he or those other three are. Then again, you also don't know the difference between a kickoff and blitz.

So whether or not GameDay has shown up, other coaches opinions of a coach, and how well a school does in FCS all play a factor in how a loss should be judged? Got it spin doctor.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
If tOSU wins out, they will be the one team representing the Big Ten. If Michigan wins out, they will be. If neither--unlikely--the Big Ten may be shut out.

No two-loss champ will bump a one-loss Louisville and/or Washington...

So whether or not GameDay has shown up, other coaches opinions of a coach, and how well a school does in FCS all play a factor in how a loss should be judged? Got it spin doctor.

You should change your screen name. "Jerk" is accurate. You need to add "Fool".

If tOSU wins out, they will be the one team representing the Big Ten. If Michigan wins out, they will be. If neither--unlikely--the Big Ten may be shut out.

Louisville, maybe. Washington, no.

Conference champ advocates like the fact that no team has been invited the first two years (eight berths) that was not a champ.

It's also true that no team has been invited with more than one loss.

One could argue that with only four slots each year, there are too many options NOT to take a two-loss team. I doubt that starts this year unless a lot more chaos occurs for just about everyone...

the big 10 will only get one team in, period. if PSU runs the table they'll have two losees and not get in. If Michigan beats OSU and wins title game, they are in, OSU out with two losses. if OSU beats UM, they are in, big 10 champ will have two losses no matter who wins it besides UM so only OSU in. it's that simple.

1. It'll be Alabama no matter what.
2. Clemson if they win out or Louisville if they win out and Clemson loses any game (if they lose title game ACC winner not in playoff)
3. OSU or UM from big 10
4. Louisville, Washington or Oklahoma (assuming Clemson wins out and is the second spot) depending on who looks best in winning their last games.

so basically if Washington comes out and stomps their next opponents and wins title game they are probably in and we are left out. Small chance Oklahoma does same thing and looks awesome then Washington doesn't look good and we struggle so the committee goes with Oklahoma as they'd be on a roll.

so you as a card fan first you are rooting for a clemson loss so we control our destiny. next you need washington and oklahoma to look weak. and third the cards need to take care of business and act serious instead of laxidasical with the football.

Conference champ advocates like the fact that no team has been invited the first two years (eight berths) that was not a champ.

It's also true that no team has been invited with more than one loss.

Oh thx so much for this. It's interesting reading so many posters claiming to have a handle on a process in it's infancy stage.

My opinion is what it was a few months ago. Bias puts traditional powers in an advantageous position meaning the OP's subject line is a fair warning for the excited portion of the message board community.

Everything I hear from everybody talking about the playoffs ( talking heads ) nobody from the Big 12 will make it. The only team that has a chance is WVU they are the only 1 loss Big 12 team. Oklahoma is already out with 2 losses and way too much ground to make up.

It's my opinion this year is proving the playoff needs to expanded to at least 6 teams. I would prefer 8 personally.

There are at least 6 teams with a legitimate shot at winning the national championship this year.

I expect to be #5 today truthfully. Need two of the teams 1-4 to lose one more time. Louisville just don't have any impressive wins beyond FSU and no one cares about that one at this point as the shine has faded considerably.

I expect to be #5 today truthfully. Need two of the teams 1-4 to lose one more time. Louisville just don't have any impressive wins beyond FSU and no one cares about that one at this point as the shine has faded considerably.
I also think we will be 5. This process takes away the a team loses so they have to drop narrative, which I don't have a problem with. I think we pass Washington, but need some more help to get Michigan out of there. We won't pass Clemson due to head to head and they have better wins.

Ive changed my prediction.

Looks like it will be ;

1 Bama
2 OSU
3 Clemson
4 Michigan /UofL
5 UofL /Michigan /Washington
6 Washington /Oklahoma

I expect the Cards to come in at #5 as well. Hoping for better, but not expecting it.

NO WAY the B1G gets left out.

Reactions: Red Rager
I bet Heather is right. I dont agree with it but the committee will try to keep the bigger names up there. I think we get #5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT