ADVERTISEMENT

Brace yourselves

Then placing Michigan in the top four after a loss to a bad team and losing their quarterback shows stupidity in the part of the committee.
The committee has already demonstrated stupidity with the TA&M ranking after the second loss...they clearly value quality wins over losses (as if a bad loss is simply an aberration), and when bunched together with other 1 loss teams we have the fewest quality wins...it's pretty much that simple.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Unsurprisingly, as basketball fan doesn't know jacks*** about college football.

North Dakota State - currently #3 in Div I-AA (FCS)

2011 - FCS National Champs - included a win at Minnesota
2012 - FCS National Champs - included a win at Colorado State
2013 - FCS National Champs - included a win at Kansas St.
2014 - FCS National Champs - included win at Iowa St.

Kirk Ferentz

18th season at Iowa
127-87 coming into this season
13 winning seasons, 4 losing

If you ask Barry Alvarez, Jeff Bower or Ty Willingham, they will tell you he is among the most respected coaches in the game and his teams are always well prepared. I know - you have no idea who he or those other three are. Then again, you also don't know the difference between a kickoff and blitz.

It still a FCS school....and no I don't watch College Basketball...a solid B1G school has no business losing at home to a FCS School....pathetic take.

For the record...Heather correct...Louisville will be 5th...SoS is a killer...only 1 Top 15 win.

I expect to be #5 today truthfully. Need two of the teams 1-4 to lose one more time. Louisville just don't have any impressive wins beyond FSU and no one cares about that one at this point as the shine has faded considerably.

Talk about Stockholm syndrome. This has to be one of the dumbest statements to date on this board. We have the most impressive player to come through college football in years on a team loaded with NFL talent. And you want to pretend other teams out there have more impressive wins?o_O

Talk about Stockholm syndrome. This has to be one of the dumbest statements to date on this board. We have the most impressive player to come through college football in years on a team loaded with NFL talent. And you want to pretend other teams out there have more impressive wins?o_O

It not that...it more in the lines with the committee Ohio State, Michigan and Clemson have more Top 25 wins than Louisville

CU has wins over Aub, FSU, and Louisville - even their win over Troy is looking nice...making it seem unlikely the Cards could jump them in the playoff standings if both teams have one loss.

Wisc is a team to keep an eye on if they win the B12 title game they are a player.

Bottom line, the Cards REALLY need Clemson to trip against WF - and of course the Cards need to win their remaining games also.

It not that...it more in the lines with the committee Ohio State, Michigan and Clemson have more Top 25 wins than Louisville
You mean those rock solid never wrong top 25 ratings. Whose only existence is to guide the money to a lot of teams in name only these days. :rolleyes:

Dude! Name one win over a good team other than FSU. Name one. I'll wait.

I agree with your comment about Lamar and the talent level. Captain Obvious statement here but it has to be made - you & I wouldn't be having this conversation if Quick goes another yard at the end of the Clemson game! But we lost, and we're left with the FSU win and impressive wins over bad teams. As TPE said, the teams in front of us have more Top 25 wins. None of this is debatable! How is this "one of the dumbest statements to date on this board"?

The close wins over Duke and VA don't even bother me. It's not realistic to win every game by 5 TDs and there's something to be said for grinding out a tough win against a spirited opponent. This year, lots of great/good teams have lost to bad ones and would love to have an "ugly win."

Last edited:
Reactions: The Public Enemy
You mean those rock solid never wrong top 25 ratings. Whose only existence is to guide the money to a lot of teams in name only these days. :rolleyes:

Believe what you want....is Louisville one of the Top 4 teams....yes...but the overall schedule is inferior to the others in the mix.

Dude! Name one win over a good team other than FSU. Name one. I'll wait.

I agree with your comment about Lamar and the talent level. Captain Obvious statement here but it has to be made - you & I wouldn't be having this conversation if Quick goes another yard at the end of the Clemson game! But we lost, and we're left with the FSU win and impressive wins over bad teams. As TPE said, the teams in front of us have more Top 25 wins. None of this is debatable! How is this "one of the dumbest statements to date on this board"?

The close wins over Duke and VA don't even bother me. It's not realistic to win every game by 5 TDs and there's something to be said for grinding out a tough win against a spirited opponent. This year, lots of great/good teams have lost to bad ones and would love to have an "ugly win."

They are all good wins in the ACC in my opinion. Especially when you are piling up points on people. Wasn't that the whole point of moving into the ACC? Of course it doesn't really matter what league we dominate, it is always something. Isn't it?

And of course there's always those penalties. Year in year out. Doesn't seem to matter whose coaching, we're always on the losing end of that battle. :(

I suggest you start getting your information from more reliable sources than Heather.

the big 10 will only get one team in, period. if PSU runs the table they'll have two losees and not get in. If Michigan beats OSU and wins title game, they are in, OSU out with two losses. if OSU beats UM, they are in, big 10 champ will have two losses no matter who wins it besides UM so only OSU in. it's that simple.

1. It'll be Alabama no matter what.
2. Clemson if they win out or Louisville if they win out and Clemson loses any game (if they lose title game ACC winner not in playoff)
3. OSU or UM from big 10
4. Louisville, Washington or Oklahoma (assuming Clemson wins out and is the second spot) depending on who looks best in winning their last games.

so basically if Washington comes out and stomps their next opponents and wins title game they are probably in and we are left out. Small chance Oklahoma does same thing and looks awesome then Washington doesn't look good and we struggle so the committee goes with Oklahoma as they'd be on a roll.

so you as a card fan first you are rooting for a clemson loss so we control our destiny. next you need washington and oklahoma to look weak. and third the cards need to take care of business and act serious instead of laxidasical with the football.

No Washington is toast. The only shot they have is a rematch with USC. That USC is clearly the best team in the PAC 12 as of today. So Washington can't make a claim for a top four slot since they are clearly not the best team in their conference EVEN at 12-1. You can draw a line straight down the middle between Clemson and Louisville. You should see Washington get punished heavily in tonights CFP rankings.

BTW, we had 11 penalties for 104 yards compared to Clemson's 6 for 59 yards. And we also had more total yards that game. 61 yards in fact. So you can't say penalties didn't play a large role.;)

Believe what you want....is Louisville one of the Top 4 teams....yes...but the overall schedule is inferior to the others in the mix.

And that's the basis of the great debate (most deserving vs best teams) Louisville's perceived SOS will be held against us to get 2 BIG teams in the playoffs. But when you really break it all down from top to bottom there is only 5 teams that can make a claim for the top 4 slots:

Alabama
OSU
Clemson
LOUISVILLE
Michigan

And it's been that way for weeks. These are the 5 most dominant teams in CF.

Reactions: Cue Card
I'm curious why no one is mentioning how we dominated Clemson that game and still lost.

And that's the basis of the great debate (most deserving vs best teams) Louisville's perceived SOS will be held against us to get 2 BIG teams in the playoffs. But when you really break it all down from top to bottom there is only 5 teams that can make a claim for the top 4 slots:

Alabama
OSU
Clemson
LOUISVILLE
Michigan

And it's been that way for weeks. These are the 5 most dominant teams in CF.

Alabama is the only dominant team in CF. That's what makes the selection process for the other three playoff spots debatable.

There's so many interesting twists and what ifs. What if Auburn trips up Bama at home and OSU and U of L win out? That potentially makes the number 1 and 2 teams in both polls one-loss, non- champs. Would the committee leave either of the published polls 1 and 2 ranked teams out of a four team playoff because of a "non Champ" tag when they each tied for their division championship in the top two toughest rated divisions in all of college football?

There's so many ways to spin it. It's really just whatever the committee wants to do. Period.

Reactions: cardz4life
Any dominate win over a Division I school is a good win.

Absolutely! When I think of dominance I'm thinking of teams that can control the pace of a game and force their opponents to scratch and claw for everything.Alabama is the most consistent at it but there are 4 other teams that have been really good at it too.

There's so many interesting twists and what ifs. What if Auburn trips up Bama at home and OSU and U of L win out? That potentially makes the number 1 and 2 teams in both polls one-loss, non- champs. Would the committee leave either of the published polls 1 and 2 ranked teams out of a four team playoff because of a "non Champ" tag when they each tied for their division championship in the top two toughest rated divisions in all of college football?

There's so many ways to spin it. It's really just whatever the committee wants to do. Period.

You are exactly right and that last part is why we won't make it.

Any dominate win over a Division I school is a good win.

Not in the context of relation to other top teams trying to reach the platform of a Top 4.

Close wins over UVA and Duke were not dominant, either.

Blow-out wins over Syracuse and BC are to be expected, and don't stand-out either.

What other teams can bring to the table in context of making the Top 4 is wins considered of higher magnitude against more successful programs. That's a reality for where to place the Cards in this discussion.

I don't take ANY of the wins for granted, it's a matter of context for making the playoffs. Comparing resumes.

Another way to look at it... hooking up with a chick that is a 5 or 6 as opposed to hooking up with a chick that's an 8 or a 9. You're winning either way, but at the end of the day one win is better than the other.

I agree with your bottom line. And I "think" traditional powers are in a more advantageous spot when thinking about what the committee "wants to do"... but life is full of surprises for better or worse.

Here's my analysis of the Clemson game.

1st Downs: Lou: 31 Clem: 26
3rd Downs: Lou: 9-19 Clem: 4-9
Total Yards: Lou: 568 Clem: 507
Passing: Lou: 295 Clem: 306
Rushing: Lou: 273 Clem: 201
Turnovers: Lou: 3 Clem: 5
Possession: Lou: 37:29 Clem: 22:31
Penalties: Lou: 11-104 Clem: 6-59

So there you have it. We pretty much dominated that game. They were lucky and needed almost double penalties to pull it off at home. Now that they're a one loss team like us. I think it is easy to say we're the better team.

So there you have it. We pretty much dominated that game. They were lucky and needed almost double penalties to pull it off at home. Now that they're a one loss team like us. I think it is easy to say we're the better team.

This is a great breakdown. This is something ESPN and the committee won't do. Instead they will reason that a 2 LOSS Wisconsin gets in over us.

Very nice. Too bad for us the final score trumps all those stats. It's a game we should have won and it still stings.

I like how you think my friend and your stats are not disputable. Our loss was on the road at night in Death Valley to #2; their loss was to a bunch of yinzers from Pittsburgh. Unfortunately our loss was head-to-head and that's a tough argument to win.

This is a great breakdown. This is something ESPN and the committee won't do. Instead they will reason that a 2 LOSS Wisconsin gets in over us.
I don't think so. I don't think two-loss teams have a reasonable shot without more chaos esp. with the one-loss teams...

Anyone thinking Oklahoma is in has me befuddled. They have 2 losses, one of which was a beat down at home against the only title contender they played. Washington and WVU have a better shot than Oklahoma. OU is out IMO.

...Too bad for us the final score trumps all those stats. It's a game we should have won and it still stings.
...Our loss was on the road at night in Death Valley to #2; their loss was to a bunch of yinzers from Pittsburgh. Unfortunately our loss was head-to-head and that's a tough argument to win.
That's only true if you have a prescribed conclusion for considering that head-to-head loss. The CFP protocol simply says that an HTH matchup must be "considered". We're reading words and perhaps meaning into the protocol that aren't there...

That's only true if you have a prescribed conclusion for considering that head-to-head loss. The CFP protocol simply says that an HTH matchup must be "considered"...

HTH is a pretty strong argument.

Let's flip the scenario & consider this: Louisville beats Clemson but loses to a decent WF (to mirror CU's loss to the yinzers) to finish 11-1. Clemson's only loss is to Louisville to finish 11-1. Louisville goes to the ACCCG and wins.

Who gets in - Louisville or Clemson? I'm screaming LOUISVILLE all day and night! And you would be too and rightfully so. Look I'm just being realistic IMO about this. In the end I do believe we'll be fine because I see us getting #5 tonight and two teams in front of us losing over the next 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Let's flip the scenario & consider this: Louisville beats Clemson but loses to a decent WF (to mirror CU's loss to the yinzers) to finish 11-1. Clemson's only loss is to Louisville to finish 11-1. Louisville goes to the ACCCG and wins.

Who gets in - Louisville or Clemson? I'm screaming LOUISVILLE all day and night! And you would be too and rightfully so. Look I'm just being realistic IMO about this. In the end I do believe we'll be fine because I see us getting #5 tonight and two teams in front of us losing over the next 3 weeks.
And this is why I had to take off my cardinals glasses and realize that Ohio st is in the same spot we are but with more top 25 wins.

Let's flip the scenario & consider this: Louisville beats Clemson but loses to a decent WF team to finish 11-1. Clemson's only loss is to Louisville to finish 11-1. Louisville goes to the ACCCG and wins.

Who gets in - Louisville or Clemson? I'm screaming LOUISVILLE all and night!
Well, we're all biased "Louisville" here so you won't get much disagreement. And that's why we don't get to decide. :)

My point is that everyone reads stuff into this process that isn't necessarily there. It says literally that HTH must be considered, and I 100% agree with that. It doesn't say that the winner of an HTH game has an edge; that's how most talking heads and people listening to them reason...

I don't think so. I don't think two-loss teams have a reasonable shot without more chaos esp. with the one-loss teams...

Man I hope you are right zipp. There's no way Wisconsin or Penn St is better than us. But keep in mind Wisconsin and Penn St will be between 6-8 in the CFP rankings. They (the committee) can easily spin it to put one of those teams in ahead of us. Just so they can get 2 BIG teams in the CFP. I wouldn't be worried about it had they not pulled that trick with A&M. There's an agenda at play here.

Man I hope you are right zipp. There's no way Wisconsin or Penn St is better than us. But keep in mind Wisconsin and Penn St will be between 6-8 in the CFP rankings. They (the committee) can easily spin it to put one of those teams in ahead of us. Just so they can get 2 BIG teams in the CFP. I wouldn't be worried about it had they not pulled that trick with A&M. There's an agenda at play here.

If any two loss-team gets in over Louisville (only loss being by 1 yard at night in death valley), that's absolute horseshit.

Right, if Wisc wins the Big championship game the committee would have a hard time taking tOSU and not Wisc also. Same could apply to PSU if they were to win the Big championship game, but PSU's resume has a few more holes than the Wisc resume.

Something's gotta give this year, it's not like the previous two years - more than likely. Either a team that failed to qualify for their conf title game is getting in the playoff and/or a two loss team is getting in the playoff.

It's going to come down to some serious bias, and unless a lot of people on that committee REALLY want to see what Lamar Jackson can do, we're in trouble. That's the reality as I see it.

Reactions: cardz4life
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT