ADVERTISEMENT

Brace yourselves

I thought everything was supposed to be about in-depth analysis. We all know the final score doesn't tell the whole story. ;)

Or did someone move the goal post yet again this year.

If any two loss-team gets in over Louisville (only loss being by 1 yard at night in death valley), that's absolute horseshit.

Yeah I'm bracing myself for bullshit. No way can I be convinced that Louisville is NOT unequivocally better than Wisconsin or Penn St. I don't care if they do win their conference.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
HTH is a pretty strong argument.

Let's flip the scenario & consider this: Louisville beats Clemson but loses to a decent WF (to mirror CU's loss to the yinzers) to finish 11-1. Clemson's only loss is to Louisville to finish 11-1. Louisville goes to the ACCCG and wins.

Who gets in - Louisville or Clemson? I'm screaming LOUISVILLE all day and night! And you would be too and rightfully so. Look I'm just being realistic IMO about this. In the end I do believe we'll be fine because I see us getting #5 tonight and two teams in front of us losing over the next 3 weeks.

Clemson would get in despite the H2H loss to UofL.
I'll give you another one;

Louisville is undefeated at this point. What would their CFP ranking be ? #5
The yakkin heads would bemoan UofL's schedule and opponents 20-59 W/L record.

The good ole boys only want bluebloods/traditional teams in the playoffs.

However.......Louisville is KICKING IN THE DOOR to get up to the Penthouse :mad:

Reactions: Mayoman
National Average Scoring Margin: 1st-OSU +33.8 2nd-Michigan +33.5 3rd-Louisville +29.3 4th-Alabama +29. ..10th-Clemson +16.2
National Points Per Game : 1st-Louisville 49.6 2nd-OSU 46.5 6th-Michigan 44.5 12th-Alabama 41.2 22nd-Clemson 36.7
My favorite Stat.. National Yards per Game: 1st-Louisville 583.2. 11th-OSU 511.4 16th-Clemson 497.2 We're averaging almost 100 yards more per game than Clemson

We're also top 5 opponents yards per game. Clemson is 18th.

When it comes to Clemson all they have going for them is that HTH win. And a SOS 10 to 15. But that is putting a lot of faith in the SOS and ignoring some gaudy stats from the Cards.

Reactions: Louisvillian
National Average Scoring Margin: 1st-OSU +33.8 2nd-Michigan +33.5 3rd-Louisville +29.3 4th-Alabama +29. ..10th-Clemson +16.2
National Points Per Game : 1st-Louisville 49.6 2nd-OSU 46.5 6th-Michigan 44.5 12th-Alabama 41.2 22nd-Clemson 36.7
My favorite Stat.. National Yards per Game: 1st-Louisville 583.2. 11th-OSU 511.4 16th-Clemson 497.2 We're averaging almost 100 yards more per game than Clemson

We're also top 5 opponents yards per game. Clemson is 18th.

When it comes to Clemson all they have going for them is that HTH win. And a SOS 10 to 15. But that is putting a lot of faith in the SOS and ignoring some gaudy stats from the Cards.
Also regarding the one loss Louisville/Clemson comparison, while head to head is a deciding factor in the conference race it is not everything when it comes to slotting the playoff teams.

A few comparisons: What's worse, losing at the gun in the 4th week AT the #4 team in the Nation or losing at HOME at the gun in the 11th week to an unranked team? Advantage: Louisville

Here are the common opponents comparison:Home team is on bottom.
Boston College:
Louisville- 52
BC- 7

Clemson- 56
BC- 10

Louisville- 62
Syracuse- 28

Syracuse- 0
Clemson- 54

Florida St.- 20
Louisville- 63

Clemson- 37
Florida St- 34

And the coup de gras:
NC State- 13
Louisville- 54

NC State- 17
Clemson- 24 in OT

Big advantage: Louisville

It's probably moot when it comes to the final playoff poll because if Clemson wins out and are ACC champs they will go to the CFP over us and deservedly so but I don't believe that they should be above Louisville when the new poll comes out today.

My top 7 fwiw
1. Alabama
2. Ohio St
3. Louisville
4. Clemson
5. Michigan
6. Wisconsin
7. Washington

Reactions: KerryRhodes
From a neutral standpoint, I can see both arguments to whether to choose UofL or Clemson.

On a side note, Michigan's schedule has been ridiculous. They have four away games this year. One has been against terrible Rutgers, the second against a very down MSU, and the third against an average Iowa which they lost.

Reactions: Mayoman
Auburn could be overrated they are currently inside the T20 in both polls. That said, they are a quality win, especially as a season opening opponent, which is when Clemson got them, granted, on their home field.

Clemson has 4 wins against teams in the AP T25. Even if the AP is off by some margin, they aren't off by some seismic gap.

The safest path for Louisville to reach the playoff involves Louisville winning out and Clemson losing to WF, giving UofL a shot to win the ACC championship game.

It is highly unlikely the committee would take Louisville over Clemson, if both teams won their remaining games. Maybe they would take both, but that is a real big maybe.

Clemson has wins @ FSU, vs UofL, vs Auburn, and vs even a newly T25 Troy.

UofL has a win over FSU.

4 quality wins vs 1.

We need them to melt down @ WF.
If you're gonna count an Auburn team that started the season unranked as a quality win then NC State was a quality win when we beat them. They were 4-2 and coming off an OT loss to Clemson in Death Valley.

Also saying Troy is a quality win is kind of a reach. While they are no picnic, here's a list of their 8 wins this year:
Austin Peay
Southern Miss
New Mexico St
Idaho
Georgia State
South Alabama
Massachusetts
Appalachian State

There are plenty of other ways for us to get in besides Clemson losing to Wake, but yeah that would be awesome but I'm counting Clemson as IN the playoff.

Let's win out and then have WSU take down Washington or Colorado take them down in the PAC 12 title game and we may be in. If one of those 2 things happen and Michigan upsets Ohio St. We can pack our bags for the playoff. Just win Cards.

Last edited:
If you're gonna count an unranked Auburn team as a quality win then NC State was a quality win when we beat them. They were 4-2 and coming off an OT loss to Clemson in Death Valley.

There are plenty of other ways for us to get in besides Clemson losing to Wake, but yeah that would be awesome.

Let's win out and then have WSU take down Washington or Colorado take them down in the PAC 12 title game and we may be in. If one of those 2 things happen and Michigan upsets Ohio St. We can pack our bags for the playoff. Just win Cards.

I'm not completely opposed to counting NC St as a quality win using your rationale.

Bottom line is SOS and # of quality wins is not in our favor in the context of how they are selecting the playoff teams.

Maybe the notion that 2 ACC teams from the same division can't make the playoff can/will be debunked. It just feels like the vibe the committee is putting out is it ain't going to happen. Maybe they are setting a trap and are more open to doing it than they are letting on, and want to surprise fans this year.

Agreed, let's win out. Agreed, there are a # of paths to making the playoff.

I'll take the nearly undisputed way. Clemson lay that egg vs WF and Cards represent the ACC.

If you're gonna count an unranked Auburn team as a quality win then NC State was a quality win when we beat them. They were 4-2 and coming off an OT loss to Clemson in Death Valley.

There are plenty of other ways for us to get in besides Clemson losing to Wake, but yeah that would be awesome.

Don't worry about Washington. USC is without a doubt the best team in the PAC 12 at this point. So nobody likely comes out of that conference. I agree we really need to be big Michigan and John "Square Pants" Harbaugh fans.

Auburn could be overrated they are currently inside the T20 in both polls. That said, they are a quality win, especially as a season opening opponent, which is when Clemson got them, granted, on their home field.

Clemson has 4 wins against teams in the AP T25. Even if the AP is off by some margin, they aren't off by some seismic gap.

The safest path for Louisville to reach the playoff involves Louisville winning out and Clemson losing to WF, giving UofL a shot to win the ACC championship game.

It is highly unlikely the committee would take Louisville over Clemson, if both teams won their remaining games. Maybe they would take both, but that is a real big maybe.

For sure we have to win out. And do it convincingly hitting our averages or better. That gets us in IMO. In any given year you can have 60 teams in the Top 25:D

We are one of the four best teams, but as ipartied has said, we need help. That one damn yard could be our downfall....

I'm not completely opposed to counting NC St as a quality win using your rationale.

Bottom line is SOS and # of quality wins is not in our favor in the context of how they are selecting the playoff teams.

Maybe the notion that 2 ACC teams from the same division can't make the playoff can/will be debunked. It just feels like the vibe the committee is putting out is it ain't going to happen. Maybe they are setting a trap and are more open to doing it than they are letting on, and want to surprise fans this year.

Agreed, let's win out. Agreed, there are a # of paths to making the playoff.

I'll take the nearly undisputed way. Clemson lay that egg vs WF and Cards represent the ACC.
There's no doubt that Auburn is a better team than NC State right now and I guess that's what counts but I think Clemson's overall resume is not any better than ours.

As I said I am already counting Clemson in.

Last edited:
Don't worry about Washington. USC is without a doubt the best team in the PAC 12 at this point. So nobody likely comes out of that conference. I agree we really need to be big Michigan and John "Square Pants" Harbaugh fans.
I think the Cards would rake the field with the Huskies at a neutral site but we definitely have to worry about the committee picking a 12-1 PAC 12 champion Washington over us. I don't think they deserve it but I wouldn't want to be sweating that out.

Go Cougars, Buffaloes and Wolverines And Go Cards.

I think the Cards would rake the field with the Huskies at a neutral site but we definitely have to worry about the committee picking a 12-1 PAC 12 champion Washington over us. I don't think they deserve it but I wouldn't want to be sweating that out.

Go Wake!!! If they beat Clemson then we will play for the ACC championship.

Naw bro, trust me don't worry about Washington. When the initial rankings came out, Washington was undefeated and jumped by a 1 loss A & M team. I don't think anybody knew what Washington was until last Saturday. Now they have been exposed. Thank goodness USC had 3 losses, they look legit now. I'm concerned about Wisconsin because they are a real problem for us. We need Michigan to beat OSU.

I bet Heather is right. I dont agree with it but the committee will try to keep the bigger names up there. I think we get #5.
Whatever happens this week will change next week and so on till the last selections are made. Cards need to win the next two and see what happens. At any rate, it is great having these discussions and not weather or not we will get a bid to the Liberty (or similar) Bowl.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Why wouldn't there be more chaos? Seems many, including maybe myself, have ruled that out.
I don't disagree, hop, and that wasn't what I was trying to say...

IMO Louisville and Washington winning out would preclude two-loss teams from being invited. Maybe even incl. WVU. As conference champs like to say about that characteristic, no two-loss team has ever been invited to the CFP...

We have no chance with that committee. The Clemson AD, the Arkansas AD, the former Southern Miss coach, and Mr BIG himself Barry Alvarez. We will have to put a Negan style beating on Houston and UK to even get a consideration. We are the TCU from a couple of years ago.

We have no chance with that committee. The Clemson AD, the Arkansas AD, the former Southern Miss coach, and Mr BIG himself Barry Alvarez. We will have to put a Negan style beating on Houston and UK to even get a consideration. We are the TCU from a couple of years ago.

As Walter Sobchak said after the Dude's car was stolen..."Well, certainly that's a possibility Dude".

Reactions: Cue Card
Here's my analysis of the Clemson game.

1st Downs: Lou: 31 Clem: 26
3rd Downs: Lou: 9-19 Clem: 4-9
Total Yards: Lou: 568 Clem: 507
Passing: Lou: 295 Clem: 306
Rushing: Lou: 273 Clem: 201
Turnovers: Lou: 3 Clem: 5
Possession: Lou: 37:29 Clem: 22:31
Penalties: Lou: 11-104 Clem: 6-59

So there you have it. We pretty much dominated that game. They were lucky and needed almost double penalties to pull it off at home. Now that they're a one loss team like us. I think it is easy to say we're the better team.

Here's my analysis of the Clemson game...we lost...again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT