ADVERTISEMENT

Beautiful weekend...

So John,
Are you from Canada and just like UK or are you from lessington and like hockey pucks? By the way we're you a Patriotss fan last year? Cause that's what a homer is...

Really the explanation is pretty simple - sorry for the digression into W2 dik swinging, I just despise being lumped into a group. I do well, I'm sure you guys do too, and the offer stands to grab some beers or whiskys anytime you guys want to.

Grew up in Northern Ontario, Maple Leafs and Blue Jays superfan, moved to Lexington in 1996 and have been here since then with the exception of a 2 year stint in Manila as an expat. Been a Broncos fan since 1986. We get very limited exposure to college sports up there, and it ranks miles behind almost any pro sport you could name. I'd say that if I had moved to Lawrence in 1996 I'd probably be a Jayhawks fan, if I had moved to Raleigh I'd probably be a Duke fan, and if I moved to Louisville I'd probably be a U of L fan. It was more out of surroundings than anything else.

Reactions: BPGhost
Really the explanation is pretty simple - sorry for the digression into W2 dik swinging, I just despise being lumped into a group. I do well, I'm sure you guys do too, and the offer stands to grab some beers or whiskys anytime you guys want to.

Grew up in Northern Ontario, Maple Leafs and Blue Jays superfan, moved to Lexington in 1996 and have been here since then with the exception of a 2 year stint in Manila as an expat. Been a Broncos fan since 1986. We get very limited exposure to college sports up there, and it ranks miles behind almost any pro sport you could name. I'd say that if I had moved to Lawrence in 1996 I'd probably be a Jayhawks fan, if I had moved to Raleigh I'd probably be a Duke fan, and if I moved to Louisville I'd probably be a U of L fan. It was more out of surroundings than anything else.
Sorry John for giving you grief. No I completely understand why you are a Blue Jays and maple leaf fan, but those are pro teams as is the Broncos. I would say the typical college fan though has some deep allegiance to a school either they went to school there, family member went there or whatever. However this has been found not to be the case seemingly for wildcat fans who seemingly only care for basketball and their belief they are the best program in the country. I don't disagreed that they are one of the top programs, along with U of L and others. I lived in Louisville for 31 years and move to Charlotte,NC for 25 years but never once thought about following NC state, Duke or UNC. Just a note if you lived in Raleigh you would have to make a choice of Duke, wake forest, NC state or UNC. It's not that simple.

Reactions: JohnKBA
That's a good point. Wake was the best ACC team at the time, and Randolph Childress and Tim Duncan were household names. But man, the next decade or so would have been rough :)

My wife and I spent a week's vacation in Toronto a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed the city. That Toronto sportsteam blue is very similar to UK blue. I kept thinking everyone there was a UK fan until I would get closer and see they were Toronto fans. I actually never saw any UK gear, but did see a guy wearing a UL sweatshirt sitting by the window in a restaurant as we walked by. I pointed at his shirt and pointed at my UL ball cap while I threw up the UofL "L". I think he was as surprised as we were.

Toronto is a fantastic city. I grew up about 250 miles north of Toronto but went there a couple times a year to see relatives.

To put it in perspective, hockey up there is like basketball in Kentucky times 10. There are 35 million people in Canada and they estimated that 30 million watched the Canada vs USA gold medal game in the 2010 Olympics. And yeah steelers, I've got plenty of Leafs gear and it blends in. Depending on the time of year I rotate between a Leafs placard on my front car plate and a blue Jays placard. Both draw lots of curious looks.

Reactions: Steelers2012
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT