ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Common Sense - Senior Leadership

Senore2006

2500+
Nov 20, 2008
"Duke won the national championship last year, and two other A.C.C. teams — Syracuse and North Carolina — will make up half of this year’s Final Four.

That kind of A.C.C. dominance may become the norm for the next few seasons. With a kaleidoscope of talent — from elite recruits to juniors, seniors and postgraduates — the A.C.C. has served notice that it is built for the short and long run.

“There’s so many kinds of systems and styles and the talent and the depth,” Bennett said of the conference. “It battle-tests you. It can break you a little bit at times, but you see a lot, and it does toughen you up.”

What’s encouraging about the approach to building programs at several A.C.C. universities — especially Virginia — is an emphasis on recruiting players who will remain in the program for three to four seasons. I care less about the basketball than I do about ending the obscene practice of having players on campus for a total of five months.

Over the last seven years, Bennett has become a much-needed antidote to the one-and-done model espoused by John Calipari and Kentucky. Bennett preaches building upon pillars, recruiting players just below the radar and then keeping them, helping them improve and — ideally — reaping the reward. On Sunday, it almost worked, until Syracuse ended the Cavaliers’ run with a 68-62 win in the Midwest Regional final.

Virginia is an older team, starting two seniors, a junior and two sophomores.

Syracuse was an even match, starting three seniors, a junior and a freshman.

“We haven’t ever been in a spot where we could recruit one-and-done players,” Bennett said. “I so enjoy watching these guys develop, and that’s made our team strong. I think if you’re going to get one-and-done players, you’d better be able to back that up and do it year after year.”

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/28/sports/ncaabasketball/the-acc-rules-the-final-four.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur&_r=0

The meltdown by Virginia in their game against Syracuse was truly the most epic in a high profile game this year. It gives a lot of credibility to what UL could have done in the tournament this year. Tony Bennett is a great recruiter, the execution by his players was horrific. He has a way to go as a coach.

Reactions: Deeva
I don't believe any school will ever win a NCAA title with all FR.
May (will be) Fr dominate, but upper class experience and maturity will always be needed. If UK starts 5 FR next year, they will still have 2-3 SR in the rotation. May not fill a stat sheet, but they will have to contribute or it won't be a good season.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
I don't believe any school will ever win a NCAA title with all FR.
May (will be) Fr dominate, but upper class experience and maturity will always be needed. If UK starts 5 FR next year, they will still have 2-3 SR in the rotation. May not fill a stat sheet, but they will have to contribute or it won't be a good season.
Poor Cal. Lee and the other returnees have pretty much stagnated since their arrival. Nor is that new. Hawkins, Willis are excellent 7th and 8th men, but if you are depending at any time on Willis or Hawk to do damage as frontline players, you're already in trouble. Let them shine in the game against Louisville, lol, and take it as an offering from God.

Personally, I'd be delighted to see UK make another NIT, myself.

Reactions: Deeva
Poor Cal. Lee and the other returnees have pretty much stagnated since their arrival. Nor is that new. Hawkins, Willis are excellent 7th and 8th men, but if you are depending at any time on Willis or Hawk to do damage as frontline players, you're already in trouble. Let them shine in the game against Louisville, lol, and take it as an offering from God.

Personally, I'd be delighted to see UK make another NIT, myself.

And I would be delighted if UL season ended just like this year.
(Not really, but you can see what hatred sounds like):oops:
Hatred can do strange things to people's mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: bloodguard13
And I would be delighted if UL season ended just like this year.
(Not really, but you can see what hatred sounds like):oops:
Hatred can do strange things to people's mind.
And you base has a 450 page thread dedicated to that, thank you. That's somewhere actually beyond strange. Know yourself a little.

And you base has a 450 page thread dedicated to that, thank you. That's somewhere actually beyond strange. Know yourself a little.

Those 450 pages were not written by me......challenge you to find just 1 post by me in that thread...you do generalize too much.

I would call "hatred" an involuntary emotion.One not conjured up,but brought on by something or someone.That's how it happened to me.:D

Are you just now noticing this?
You make assumptions about our fans all the time.

Please, lol. Apparently you two are not the major influences over at your home website. It's not surprising but it also leaves you on an island of sorts. I'll accept that you guys and Bill are reasonable fans.....at least until what you want to see is the basis of your world, instead of what may actually be occurring. In other words, wondering at animosity towards UK fans is a strangely naive take.

LPT won its title under Pitino Lite because of a FRESHMAN. It had little to do with the leadership of upperclassmen. The problem with LPT's juniors and seniors, as Senore points out, is they don't consistently develop in the OAD system. They're little more than leftovers from great recruiting classes who aren't good enough to leave. Ever.

Can those guys help stabilize the team off the court or as coaches on the floor? Probably. But it won't be because they develop under Lite. I think the biggest problem is that they're considered busts or disappointments. It matters when your older guys have shown surprising improvement instead of simply not being good enough to leave.

"Elite program", my a$$...

LPT won its title under Pitino Lite because of a FRESHMAN. It had little to do with the leadership of upperclassmen. The problem with LPT's juniors and seniors, as Senore points out, is they don't consistently develop in the OAD system. They're little more than leftovers from great recruiting classes who aren't good enough to leave. Ever.

Can those guys help stabilize the team off the court or as coaches on the floor? Probably. But it won't be because they develop under Lite. I think the biggest problem is that they're considered busts or disappointments. It matters when your older guys have shown surprising improvement instead of simply not being good enough to leave.

"Elite program", my a$$...
I have heard that at least 2 of LPT's supposedly returning players are eligible to graduate and are looking to be Done and One's.

This just in:

LEXINGTON, KY—In an appalling revelation that has sent shockwaves through the program, multiple reports confirmed Thursday that seniors on this year’s University of Kentucky basketball team were repeatedly subjected to cruel and degrading forms of hazing by the team’s freshman players. “We discovered a number of incidents in which Kentucky’s upperclassmen were forced to carry the squad’s gym bags to and from practice, sit in a locked closet for hours at a time, and consume excessive amounts of alcohol until the point of vomiting,” said NCAA investigator Derek Jones, adding that the humiliating and barbaric rituals were strictly enforced by the team’s first-year players. “This was apparently seen as a way to make the seniors understand their place on the team, but regardless of the reasoning, it is absolutely unacceptable. Several players said they were often frightened for their safety, but felt they had to continue or they would be punished even further by their freshman teammates. Unfortunately, this is a growing trend among top college basketball programs, and it has to be stopped.” Following the report, the University of Kentucky athletic department announced the immediate suspension of all accused players amid an internal investigation, leaving Wildcats coach John Calipari no choice but to field a starting lineup with no freshmen in the NCAA Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT