ADVERTISEMENT

Crawford - Five thoughts on Louisville's first day in full pads

Petrino: Five thoughts on Louisville's first day in full pads
Louisville football coach Bobby Petrino says he sees significant early progress.
Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 8:13 am EDT by Eric Crawford
Updated:
Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 10:18 am EDT
17369283_G.jpeg

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – The first day in full pads wasn’t much different from the opening three days of practice for the University of Louisville football team. There wasn’t a whole lot of full contact, with the exception of some live tackling drills between the defensive secondary and the running backs and receivers.

Still, Cardinals’ head coach Bobby Petrino says he’s happy with the progress his team has made and the tone it has set with early workouts.

The team will get a break on Wednesday before practices ramp up a bit later in the week, but Petrino updated reporters on the first practices after a full-team session on Tuesday afternoon.

Five highlights from his comments.

1). PETRINO HAS FOCUSED ON THE LINES. The head coach didn’t watch the live tackling drills on Tuesday because his focus was on defensive line work. His focus, in fact, has been in the trenches a good bit.

“We've been doing a lot of one-on-one stuff with the O-line and D-line, and I think our technique is getting better,” he said. “I think it's something that we have to do with all the newness that we have on the defensive line. I've been impressed on the improvement we've made with our hips and our hands and our technique. I think it's helping the offensive line also.”

Offensive lineman Lukayus McNeil, when asked who is standing out on the defensive line, mentioned sophomore Jared Goldwire. Petrino said a number of the young players up front are picking up confidence.

“We were really happy when we signed (Goldwire),” he said. “We had to work extremely hard to get him. There were some late runs at him. And he got here and had a shoulder. But our medical staff did a good job of being really aggressive in getting the operation done right away. He missed all of spring. It's a tough operation, as far as it takes a long time to get back. But once you get back it's fixed and you're good to go. His strength started getting better all summer long. He's got great size and movement. So it's good to see him out there. Him and Mike Boykin are doing a really good job. Jarrett Jackson. You can see a real difference in Boykin and Jackson from spring to where they are now. And the same thing with (wideout) Tutu (Atwell). He's different than he was in spring. He's more confident. He's running things faster. Same with (freshman linebacker Robert) Hicks, (freshman cornerback) Chandler Jones. Those guys who were a little iffy and questionable with their confidence, now they're really competing to play.”

2). TREY SMITH STILL LEADS THE RUNNING BACK COMPETITION. Petrino said he’s been impressed with the speed of the incoming freshmen, but the experience of Smith still has him standing out among the backs, though Dae Williams is beginning to pick up more reps.

“Trey is doing a really good job. He's been solid,” Petrino said. “He understands what's going on. He's impressive in how he reads blocks and hugs the walls and does a really good job of running inside. I think Tobias Little has made great strides. He can do a lot of different things between catching the ball and blocking and running with it. Dae Williams, it's good to see him back out there and going. We held his reps a little bit the first two practices, but he got a bunch of reps yesterday and today and did a nice job. And Colin Wilson really shows the talent. We've got to get him in shape so he can go full speed all the time. He's always been a guy that sweats a lot, and hot days have always hampered his conditioning or his ability to go hard all the time. So that's something that we work on with our medical staff, to find different ways to keep him at full speed. The two young guys are impressive. They're really, really fast. Javian Hawkins is probably ahead of where I thought he would be. He's lightning fast. He can really hit the hole and go. He's really stood out with that. He can also run routes and catch the ball. And Hassan (Hall) has showed his speed, too. I'd like to see him pick up the offense a little quicker. But he really can go.”

3). PUMA PASS EARNED THE CAPTAIN’S TITLE. During team voting earlier in the week, Pass, along with McNeil, Dee Smith and Jonathan Greenard were elected team captains for the season. Though Pass has never started a game, Petrino said he’s not surprised that he garnered the votes.

“A lot of time the leadership kind of goes with the position of quarterback, but you've got to earn it, it's not just announced,” Petrino said. “And I think Jawon has earned that respect from his teammates by how hard he's worked, how competitive he is, how tough he is. They've just seen the way he takes over and takes charge. It's good to see Lukayus get voted in. And it wasn't a lot of close votes. The four guys just stood out as far as the amount of votes they got as compared to the other guys. Jonathan Greenard is doing a really good job, really trying to do what the coaches are asking him to do as far as leadership goes. Obviously his production is there. He's a really good player. And then I felt like going in that Dee Smith would be the other one. I wasn't really sure, but Dee got a bunch of votes from his teammates.”

4). ASSESSING PASS’ EARLY PRACTICES. While Petrino said Tuesday wasn’t necessarily his young quarterback’s best practice day, he likes what he has seen.

“Puma's done a good job,” he said. “. . . He's been really comfortable. He understands what we're asking him to do. I like the way he's been able to get the ball out of his hand quickly and accurately and I think our receivers and running backs are doing a good job of catching it and getting where they need to be. We're probably a little bit ahead of where we have been in our timing of the passing game, which is a good thing.”

5). PRAISE FOR SOPHOMORE COLE BENTLEY AT CENTER. You don’t get a lot of preseason talk about centers. That’s usually only reserved for when there’s a problem. But Petrino noted significant improvement from Bentley as the team headed into fall camp.

“There's no question he's improved,” Petrino said. “Cole's a really, really talented guy. He doesn't understand how talented he is. He's got the combination of great strength, flexibility and can really move. He's just still learning how good he can really be. But he spent a lot of time this summer really studying and working hard. The first meeting I ran with the offense I asked, 'OK, center, what's your call?' And I was really impressed with how hard Cole worked this summer studying because he was right on, he didn't hesitate and he was confident in making the calls. That was probably the best thing that could've happened in that first meeting, and it has carried over to the field.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/38838201/petrino-five-thoughts-on-louisvilles-first-day-in-full-pads

FB RECRUITING: Four-star looking for UofL offer

Indiana 2019 four-star LB Cameron Williams camped with Louisville last month and said after that experience "Coach Beard loves me." So, he appears to be firmly on the Cardinal's radar and remains wide open going into his senior season. More on Williams' recruitment in the article below:

https://n.rivals.com/news/four-star-cameron-williams-working-for-more-offers
Reactions: Pervis_Griffith

Chane Behanan arrested...

Chane Behanan, who played on the University of Louisville's NCAA championship team in 2013, was arrested Saturday evening.

Behanan was accused of being a backseat passenger in a car that had “marijuana residue” and was sitting next to a stolen “AK-47-style rifle,” according to an arrest citation.

The rifle was stolen from Troy, Indiana, according to a background check.

The traffic stop happened around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday on Seventh Street Road, according to information from Louisville Metro Police.

Behanan faces charges of possession of marijuana and one count of possession of a stolen firearm.

Behanan was not driving the vehicle, according to an arrest citation, but everyone in the vehicle received similar charges.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ball-player-chane-behanan-arrested/909871002/

USA U 18 wins FIBA Americas 84-60 over Canada

A slow start against the Canadians in the gold medal game -- USA trailed after the first quarter 18-14 -- but patented Jeff Walz coached defensive pressure got USA motivated and to a 39-31 halftime lead. Walz's team would extend that to 64-40 after three and they went on to win by 24.

I wonder about the choice of Rhyne Howard, heading to UK, as the MVP of the tournament. Seems to me Christyn Williams (UConn) had the better overall tournament. Maori Davenport, as yet uncommitted, was named to the All-Tournament team along with Howard. Any of five or six Americans could have easily been named -- a testament to the team play that Walz and the coaches instilled into this group.

Yay! USA ! Cardinal Couple www.cardinalcouple.com offers a recap.

Sonja

Saw this on the Skins site too .... Fans can help Joe Jacoby get SR choice into Hall of Fame

I saw this on the Redskins site today too ...

https://www.redskins.com/news/vote-joe-jacoby-pat-fischer-as-most-deserving-senior-candidates

Fans can help former Louisville Cardinal (and Louisville Western High School) Joe Jacoby get onto the ballot, to get into the NFL Hall of Fame. It'd be nice to have another Cardinal in Canton. I think we only have one (Johnny Unitas), but is that right??

With the Pro Football Hall of Fame senior committee meeting later this month to determine who will be the one candidate voted into the class of 2019, two former Redskins have made Wednesday’s Talk of Fame Sports Network’s finalists.

Narrowed down from 48 to six former NFL players from five polls this summer, Redskins fans have a chance to voice their opinion on whether Joe Jacoby and/or Pat Fischer should be put on next year’s ballot.

From an undrafted college free agent to landing on the 1980s NFL all-decade selection as an offensive tackle, Jacoby became a contributor for the Redskins as a member of the Hogs offensive line. The three-time Super Bowl champion played left tackle in his first two championships while playing right tackle in his third, often being placed as the lead blocker in Joe Gibbs’ system when a play would run on the right side of the line.

Jacoby has been a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, three times and would become the 32nd Redskin player, coach or administrator to be rightfully enshrined if he was selected for next year’s class.

Fans can vote for Joe Jacoby by accessing the Talk of America poll here.

U of L Foundation

I said I would post updated numbers for the Foundation when I had time. It’s now been two years since Doc Ramsey left U of L, and we have two years of operating numbers--FY2018 not officially on the books--and a one-year forecast for 2019 to tell us where we’re headed without him. As with most financials, the reporting process changes over time, so the numbers have to be adjusted in order to make a valid comparison.

Nowadays, U of L only posts the last two years of Foundation operating results on the interweb. (LINK) I had to make an open records request to go back for older records. You can read into that what you want and probably should.

Since Ramsey’s Departure

For FY 2017, the Foundation reported “contributions and allocations to U of L departments” in the amount of $52.2 million. (LINK) According to at least one news account a couple months ago, U of L said they would be reporting a comparable number of $54.2 million for 2018, and a budgeted number of $65.1 million for 2019. (LINK) Fiscal year results are normally reported by U of L’s outside accountants around the beginning of the fourth calendar quarter.

I consider three years of financial results a pretty good barometer of where someone is headed. It seems like just yesterday that Ramsey was in charge, but he left U of L in the summer of 2016. The clowns we have in charge have been fumbling around long enough to hold them accountable.

Ramsey’s Tenure

Of course, we hear what a debacle that time period was. But that’s mainly from our One Great Newspaper, State government, and the former regime haters. Unless you can get your hands on the financial reports, you may not have proof otherwise. Fortunately, those reports are still available, and I’ve reviewed the ones I have on file to cite comparable numbers. If anyone wants to see the actual reports, I’ll upload and link them for download.

Fiscal Years 2009-2014

During these reporting years, “total expenses” were itemized into the following major categories:

1. Contributions to various U of L departments
2. Payments on behalf of U of L (for specific sub-categories)
3. Interest expense
4. Residence hall operations, including depreciation
5. Real estate operations, including depreciation
6. G&A

For analytical purpose, I consider items 1, 2, and 4 to represent money flowing to or benefiting the University. The other three items are overhead and investment-related expenses. “Contributions and allocations to U of L” summarized in more recent years correspond to #1, 2, and 4 here.

Fiscal Year 2015

Changes to the reporting process commenced in FY2015. Item 1 morphed into “contributions to various U of L departments, ULREF and other.” ULREF is the U of L Real Estate Foundation. A single number was reported under this item. Items 2-6 continued to be reported separately.

Fiscal Year 2016

Item 1 changed again and is now separated into a university-specific item called “contributions and allocations to U of L departments” and a second item called “contributions to ULREF and related organizations.” I switched to start using the former item to quantify funds that flow to U of L for academic purposes. Also, items 4 and 5 under the prior reporting disappeared starting in 2016.

2015 numbers were restated for 2016 in conformance to these new expense categories. The data point below for 2015 was taken from the restated financials in the 2016 report.

Fiscal Year 2017

No changes from 2016.

Findings

Sorry for the complexity in all of that as I’m sure to be accused of fudging the numbers by clown show apologists. …Because yes, those guys aren’t going to approve of what the results show. The following column chart plots the respective values for “contributions and allocations to U of L departments” now reported by the Foundation and corresponding values for total expenses less overhead and investment expenses prior to 2015. The gray bars are during Ramsey’s tenure, and the red bars are since his exit.

U%20of%20L%20Distributions_zpsmrkengmo.jpg

I put a trendline through five of the six Ramsey data points, omitting the one that appears to be an outlier visually. Doc often talked about us being on various “trajectories,” and he certainly had the Foundation running on a positive one. The cumulative difference for the period 2017-2019 between actual/expected results and the trendline is a nice, round $150 million. And that comes pretty close to annualizing $50 million. So for the foreseeable future and until you start hearing about Neeli and Tyra amassing vast sums of new donor revenue--and not just a “new gift” every now and then--it’s safe to assume U of L is losing around $50 million a year in Foundation funding without Ramsey at the controls.

Except for a few slobbering over a headline about “new gifts” to U of L, none of this is a big surprise. In fact, this was arguably part of the plan. Ramsey and Jurich were amassing and controlling way too much money to satisfy people down the road. If you’re happy with current results, you’re just playing into their hands. Until you hold the new people to the same standards you held the old ones, you’re settling for what the clowns and their sponsors want you to be. That ain’t me nor will it ever be…

Money shell game...

One of the easiest ways to spot an operation having trouble financially is a raid on the piggy bank. Happened with Bailout Arena when they failed to fund an R&R capital account out of operating funds, essentially borrowing from tomorrow to pay for today. The magical refinance that would cure all ills included $12 million MORE money borrowed to bring that account up to standards. I guess those arena clowns think they can continue to borrow money to succeed.

Earlier this year, U of L disclosed how they were paying for Chris Mack's Xavier buyout. This is from Eric Crawford's report on WDRB.com (LINK)...

"During a meeting of the U of L Athletic Association budget meeting on Friday...[t]he ULAA board voted to liquidate $4.25 million from the Hickman-Camp fund to pay to Xavier to satisfy Mack’s buyout...

'That’s the cost of doing business,' Tyra said..."

I read the following a short time later when U of L was going thru the approval process for its 2019 budget (LINK)...

"The U of L board of trustee's finance committee approved the university-wide $1.215 billion proposed budget for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2019. But the approval came with an on-the-fly condition from the committee that U of L's administration begin work on how the school will make up for about $20 million in one-time funds used in fiscal 2019..."

Not much was made of it at the time by me or anyone else that I recall. But the companion thread on the Foundation (LINK) brings this to attention esp. as it relates to Foundation assets. There was no mention I read where the $20 million in "one-time funds" is coming from, which also raises red flags.

Again, these are classic raids on piggy banks, and this is just $24 million that we know about. When people have trouble meeting ends financially, they start to tap money that was being used to produce sustaining income--which is a vicious cycle because it leaves less money to sustain income. The process starts with promises and good intentions, but more often than not it ends in financial ruin.

And I don't see Grissom or any other punching-bag-du-jour's name mentioned in these accounts. To the contrary, these decisions directly involve new people whom I keep getting told I should trust. Excuse me while I look for evidence that I should do that...

Geron Christian, making very good impressions for Redskins.

Saw this update on Skins fall camp ... and Geron Christian is garnering some nice praise.

While All Pro Tackle Trent Williams rehabs, and the other starting tackle Morgan Moses recovers from injury, Geron is moving all over the place. I guess Bobby and Mike Summers practice of moving the O-Linemen to different sides during games is a pretty big positive. It is one of the reasons that Geron was drafted in the 3rd round by Washington. Hopefully, this will start a conga line of big-a$$-monkey-scratchers to come block for U of L offensive studs. :D

https://www.redskins.com/news/practice-notes-skinscamp-day-11?campaign=sf:fanshare:facebook

-- One of the major questions entering the first preseason game will be who protects the quarterbacks along the line. Right now it’s unclear how long head coach Jay Gruden plans to have his starting unit in the game. Regardless, it looks as though Ty Nsekhe could be the opening starter at left tackle and Geron Christian Sr. could start at right tackle against the Patriots. That’s how they opened practice with Alex Smith under center. Later with the second unit, Christian moved over to left tackle, already proving to be a versatile and valuable pick for the team in the third round as it looks to fill the void left by Trent Williams and Morgan Moses as they get stronger in their recovery from surgery.

I'm hoping the Skins stay healthy this year, and win some games, moving former Card Jay Gruden off of a slightly warm seat ... It'd also be good to see former Card Josh Harvey-Clemons break into serious playing time this year, and establish himself in the NFL.

Hail to the Redskins!

Louisville Football Names Four Captains

Louisville Football Names Four Captains
Jawon Pass, Lukayus McNeil, Jonathan Greenard, and Dee Smith named captains.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - University of Louisville football players Jawon Pass, Lukayus McNeil, Jonathan Greenard and Dee Smith have been named captains for the Cardinals' 2018 football team, as announced today by UofL Head Coach Bobby Petrino.

Pass, a redshirt sophomore quarterback, appeared in five games last season. Coming off the bench, Pass threw for 238 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing for 62 yards and a touchdown. In his first career appearance, Pass went 5-of-8 for 75 yards in a win over Kent State, while also completing 14-of-19 passes for 115 yards and a score in a win over Murray State.

A three-year starter on the offensive line, McNeil has started 34 games during his career, including 13 games in 2017. He was one of only two players to start every game on the offensive line, while the Cardinals finished sixth in the country in total offense.

A starter in five games at defensive end last season, Greenard led the team in tackles for loss with 15.5 and was tied for the team lead with 7.0 sacks. He totaled a career-high 2.0 sacks versus Kent State, while totaling a career-best 3.0 tackles for loss against North Carolina. The junior from Hiram, Ga., recorded four or more tackles in seven games, including a career-high nine versus Boston College.

The native of Florence, Ala., Smith appeared in 12 games at safety in 2017, while registering a career-best 53 tackles and one interception. He closed the season with a career-best 11 tackles versus Mississippi State. Over his three-year career, Smith has totaled 102 tackles and a pair of interceptions.
Reactions: genowe

A little football talk...

I absolutely hate (but fully understand) the current policies of closed practice - both spring and fall. That makes it pretty difficult to have much specific pre-season football talk. However, FWIW...

> I'm enjoying reading and hearing stories about our secondary, both talent and depth. I don't know what BVG likes to do but this suggests the opportunity to play more Man-Free or even Cover 0 and get an extra defender involved in either the pass rush or run defense.

> Regarding BVG, just read a story where he "makes the rounds" with every defensive group at practice. I'm sure some of that is to get his assistants on the same page he is but that is exactly what I think a DC should do (i.e., no specific position responsibility; make the rounds).

> The claim is we have more defensive speed than ever this year. Defensive speed has always been important but has become more important than ever before over the past 5 years or so (i.e., proliferation of "spread" offenses).

> We seem to have pretty good depth at RB and they all seem to be "power rusher" types. Could this possibly mean more "live tackling" work at practice to improve that particular skill? Historically CBP has promoted "thud tackling" in practice and ex-CCS went live and hard.

> Despite the loss of Jackson I think the offense will develop nicely. This is CBP's claim to fame. Certainly not as much rushing yardage from the QB position but maybe not a huge drop off in the overall rushing game. Everything suggests the passing game should be fine, especially after a few games of "starting experience". For what little it is worth I read a number of UK fans are envious about our QB situation.

> In terms of personnel losses, 2018 is a classic re-building year. I am cautiously optimistic about our coming season. Looking at early projections we are big time 'dawgs against AL and Clemson by both Steele and Connolly. Steele makes us a 3 point 'dawg @BC and Connolly has us a half point 'dawg to FSU.

All other games are projected wins but Steele has 4 at less than 6 points (GT, WF, @ 'Cuse and NC State) and Connolly has 3 such games (@BC, WF and NC State. And 2018 sets the table for 2019 expectations. The key to an 8 or more win regular season shapes up as winning 3 or 4 games as a close favorite.

> So, FGs may be a pretty damn big deal this year.

Your thoughts? Opinions? Inside info? :D

Peace

FB RECRUITING: Louisville Football Recruiting Insider

Good Wednesday morning! Wanted to drop by a few recruiting tidbits for you all...

Login to view embedded media - 3-star Mississippi athlete Derick Hall told me that Louisville has been in constant communication with him and will be an official visit this fall. Right now Hall said that along with Louisville, Auburn and Florida State will also receive official visits.

Login to view embedded media - 4-star cornerback Max Williams said he recently received his "official" offer from Louisville and that he has been hearing quite a bit from Louisville. Yesterday, Williams announced via Twitter that he will be committing on October 6th.

Login to view embedded media - Louisville already has several offensive line commitments, and while guys like Melvin McBride and Kaleb Boateng seem to be top targets, one prospect to keep an eye on is Ty Murray. A 6'3" 310lbs guard from Carrollton (GA), Murray said Louisville is in his top two teams along with Virginia.

Login to view embedded media - 3-star Meridian (MS) cornerback AJ Hopkins (6'2" 177lbs) said Louisville is one of the teams recruiting him the hardest and that he is planning an official visit to Louisville this fall.

Login to view embedded media - I had mentioned already in the recruiting hot board thread, but despite the commitment of RB Aidan Robbins, Louisville is still really recruiting 3-star RB Tony Mathis. Mathis said he will take an official visit to Louisville this fall and has UofL, WVU, and Purdue as his top three teams. I really like Mathis as a prospect and would love to see Louisville be able to add him to the class.

Shawn Watson is the OC at Pitt ... nice read on a highly touted QB finding a new home

Solid read from the Athletic ...

https://theathletic.com/442208/2018/07/31/ricky-town-profile-college-journey-pitt-usc-arkansas/

PITTSBURGH — Even Ricky Town is a little surprised he ended up here at the University of Pittsburgh, on this sweltering July morning, sitting inside the Panthers’ football team meeting room. He’s wearing his new gear and a serious expression on his face as he begins speaking about the latest chapter of an unexpectedly winding college football career.

“College has been a little bit of — this isn’t what I was thinking college football was going to be,” Town tells The Athletic. “It’s been different, but I know God’s got a plan for everyone. And so, I know this is my plan, and it’s the right plan.”

Town’s plan has led him on a significantly more peripatetic path than expected for a can’t-miss prospect who was at one time the top-ranked recruit of the 2015 class. Town — who at one time in high school was ranked ahead of current NFL quarterbacks Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen — originally committed to Alabama before signing with nearby USC. He enrolled early but left in the middle of his first fall camp and transferred to Arkansas, where he redshirted and spent one season as a reserve, though he never saw playing time. Last fall, he played at Ventura (Calif.) College, a junior college in his hometown that plays its games on the same field where he starred in high school.

And now, after a fortuitous call and a whirlwind visit last December, Town has landed here with two seasons of eligibility left. He says Pat Narduzzi is the best and most honest head coach he’s ever been around. He raves about the program and its facilities, and how cool it is that he can watch Ben Roethlisberger practice a couple of hundred yards away from him. He gushes about offensive coordinator Shawn Watson’s QB school and the intelligent conversations that regularly take place in his meeting room.

Now 22, Town knows he’ll likely open this season as the backup quarterback behind sophomore Kenny Pickett. But he doesn’t mind. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound redshirt junior quarterback feels like he’s finally where he’s supposed to be.

“The biggest thing that I’ve learned is the importance of failure,” Town says. “If you’re perfect all the time, if you never fail at anything, you don’t progress. I think that’s been a big thing this whole college career of mine, just learning from my mistakes, and fessing up, like, ‘Yeah, OK, I messed that up. How can I get better?’ I was constantly failing and progressing.

“If you fail, it’s not really failure if you’re learning from it. But if you don’t progress from it, then, yeah, that’s failure.”

Watson rummages around in his office and comes back out into his quarterbacks meeting room with what he calls his “textbook.” It’s a binder he updates at least twice a year — after a season ends and after spring ball — and hands to each quarterback under his tutelage. It’s a combination of notes and diagrams and tips, all accumulated over the 28 years that Watson has spent coaching quarterbacks and prompted by a mentor and neighbor — Weeb Ewbank, the former Baltimore Colts and New York Jets coach whom he got to know when Watson coached at Miami (Ohio).

Watson puts every quarterback he coaches through his QB school every winter and every training camp, no matter if everyone coming back has already been in his system. That’s not the point; the point is teaching the foundation. “It’s just like a classroom,” he says.

Town’s first session took place back in January, right after he moved in at Pitt.

“When you think of the phrase ‘QB school,’ you’d think throwing a football, throwing routes, the offense,” Town says. “We started with defensive fronts. We literally work our way up to how a defense works, and then we go into what type of coverages there are. We spent almost a month on just defensive football. We don’t even touch the offense.”

From there, QB school delves into situational football and game management. Then, all of the intricate parts of the offense.

This particular room is one where Town spends a lot of time. As any quarterbacks coach will tell you, if you get this room right, you get your team right. And these four walls, this table and these chairs have taken on a special meaning for Town: This is where he earned his scholarship offer to Pitt. With those markers and that dry-erase board, Watson asked Town to diagram a specific play that he knew and teach it to him as he would a quarterback.

“He knows the West Coast system like a pro,” Watson says. “It was impressive. When he drew it, he didn’t draw it like a kid; he drew it like a coach. It was in his blood. He knew it. Then, he articulated it. I’m sitting there going, ‘Shoot, he could put on a uniform. He could coach this.’ That really caught me. … He’s just got football in him.”

Watson calls what he put Town through an NFL-style interview. He wanted to know what his potential quarterback knew — what kind of offensive terminology he used, how his mind worked. With his right hand, Watson drew up a play that Pitt runs; later in the interview, he asked Town to re-draw it from memory … left-handed.

Then, Narduzzi popped in — an unusual move for a defensive-minded head coach on a quarterback visit — and started talking defense. “We were both trying to stump him and trying to see if we could get him to flinch, and he didn’t flinch,” Watson says.

Says Narduzzi: “I just started drawing up some coverages, and showing him why we do the things we do, and what we’re looking for. I think that impressed Ricky just because I don’t think another head coach or defensive guy had ever sat down with him. By the time that was over, and lunch, he was ready to be a Pittsburgh Panther.”

During those conversations, the Pitt coaches were clear and straightforward: Pickett is the top quarterback. He’d started as a freshman at the end of last season, leading the Panthers to their upset of then-No. 2 Miami in the season finale. But as good as Pickett was, Pitt wanted to find someone capable of both providing depth and pushing him.

“I’ve never had a year that we haven’t played two, in some cases three, quarterbacks; it’s been hard,” Watson says. “What I found to be true, what kept ringing to me, was his humility. He wasn’t looking for anything to be handed to him. He wasn’t looking for easy. He was looking for what was best for his life, which is really what drew me to him.”

Town didn’t have any other FBS offers. He’d only taken visits to Indiana State and Stephen F. Austin prior to a half-day trip to Pittsburgh. Pitt needed a last-minute quarterback addition after two upperclassmen left.

“He came across as such a great team kid,” Watson says. “He got it, understood it, knew it — because he’s had to live it. He had a little bit of a volatile past. He’d been at USC. He’d been at Arkansas. Now, he’s at Ventura. We’re like, ‘Whoa.’ But he has learned so much along the way, it was unbelievable. When he came in here and talked to us, we knew we were getting a great person who is very mature, who had a real in-depth understanding of football and was really looking for a situation where he knew he was going to be treated fairly.”

Steve Mooshagian first met Ricky Town because, frankly, it would have been hard not to. The two shared a hometown and even a playing field. Mooshagian, the head coach at Ventura College, used it with his team, and Town, the star quarterback at St. Bonaventure High, used it on Friday nights with his.

Mooshagian — “Moose” to pretty much everyone — had a front-row seat to what happened next. He watched a talented and smart quarterback find himself in the eye of a hurricane of hype, expectations and potential. He saw a high school junior deal with a coaching change (his third in three years) and a knee injury. Mooshagian noticed what changed around him, and what didn’t, and he saw Town’s production slip.

(con't)
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT