ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

Are you effing kidding me? This dumpster fire??
Yep, this dumpster fire. The same one you continue to cajole, denigrate, ridicule and castigate. Again, I ask you….no, implore you to please find a wealthy, well-heeled athletic program that you can love and support. This one is not for you. You and UL athletics are in a totally dysfunctional relationship and you should end it. Move on with your life, this marriage is irreversibly broken, accept it.

Reactions: Art79 and BPGhost
No surprise at all.

Why not collect millions with no responsibility?

I’ll take “what are Kenny Payne’s inner thought?” for $100…

Reactions: vegasville1
I understand the principled, ivory tower view. And I understand the real world view. Try telling Alabama or the slapd!cks that athletics are a "minor, irritating" part of managing the university.

Ms. Towson State is MIA, and that will continue to be a problem for Heird and his department esp. considering where it is in 2024...
If “Ms. Towson State” is MIA on athletics, that suits me just fine. After Bendapudi, presidential micromanaging is the last thing we need.

There are some other factors that could impact the hire. One being, ACC on shaky ground. Don't underestimate the takeover by the SEC and Big10 on the landscape.

One more thing, Kenny ain't fired yet.

The very cool thing about this situation, if there is one, is we are going to get the answer by Spring.

If “Ms. Towson State” is MIA on athletics, that suits me just fine. After Bendapudi, presidential micromanaging is the last thing we need.
You hopped onto a discussion about where the problems exist with athletics. It's management, not a Johnny-come-lately basketball coach. You don't get THIS BAD in 15 months.

Ms. Towson State needs to fix this mess as the President of the University. Take responsibility...

Seems UofL will probably go with a cheaper up and coming coach.

Unc, Duke, Nova, went with assistant coaches instead of making a "big splash" hire and all were in a better position to try and land one than UofL is at present time. We'll see what happens though. Who knows?

Unc, Duke, Nova, went with assistant coaches instead of making a "big splash" hire and all were in a better position to try and land one than UofL is at present time. We'll see what happens though. Who knows?
Hints the name Ben McCollum I keep throwing out. He would be a great get for a cheap price!

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Hints the name Ben McCollum I keep throwing out. He would be a great get for a cheap price!
How do you think he'd fare making the jump to Division 1? You think he'd need much time to adjust to recruiting, the game itself, etc?

How do you think he'd fare making the jump to Division 1? You think he'd need much time to adjust to recruiting, the game itself, etc?
That is the million dollar question. I think if Zipp is right, that is the direction we would have to go. However.....
Zipp, you keep saying we don't have money, etc. but every website I look up says that Louisville is somewhere in the top 10 funded basketball programs in the nation. What gives...?

I vote for Queen Salma. There will be NO problems recruiting.

salma-hayek-at-instyle-and-warner-bros.-golden-globe-awards-party-01-05-2020-5.jpg

I disagree wholeheartedly with this assessment. UNC, Duke and even Nova groomed their assistants to be the head coaches in waiting. There was no need for them to go out and try to find out who the best coach was for their program. They were sitting right there next to them. You don't think old Roy and Coach K didn't have a say in who their replacements were? I think we had the potential for that at least one time with Wade Houston but because of the timing Wade decided to become a HC somewhere else. Considering the ways our HC's have left recently, there was no way any assistant coach was going to be given an opportunity to become the HC. The closest thing was not allowing David Padgett to get an opportunity. As they say, the rest is history... yeah bad history!

Reactions: OldhamCard335
That is the million dollar question. I think if Zipp is right, that is the direction we would have to go. However.....
Zipp, you keep saying we don't have money, etc. but every website I look up says that Louisville is somewhere in the top 10 funded basketball programs in the nation. What gives...?

Appreciate the question. You see in the link that they're getting their info from the Department of Education's annual EADA survey. Here's the U of L webpage for those surveys. LINK

Those are not GAAP financial reports that conform to widely accepted profit-and-loss accounting. Moreover, the list of schools in your link only shows revenues, no expenses. You can't tell how much money a department or sport is generating by only looking at half the equation.

From the date, I assume that the list you linked is for FY2022. If you click on this LINK, you'll find the audited financial report for ULAA that same year. Toward the bottom of page 5, you see the change in ULAA net position for 2022 was -8.66 million dollars. That's how much expenses exceeded revenues that year for the entire department.

You note from the same line that net position declined by $9.615 million the year before (2021). So in those two years, U of L "lost" more than $18 million in athletics. Again, these are audited financial reports from third-party accountants.

No, U of L athletics does not have any money because we have been doing this routinely since 2017. And we continue to lose money now although it's getting more difficult for me to track the losses since U of L has started stonewalling me on what used to be routine financial reports. Not a good sign...

Appreciate the question. You see in the link that they're getting their info from the Department of Education's annual EADA survey. Here's the U of L webpage for those surveys. LINK

Those are not GAAP financial reports that conform to widely accepted profit-and-loss accounting. Moreover, the list of schools in your link only shows revenues, no expenses. You can't tell how much money a department or sport is generating by only looking at half the equation.

From the date, I assume that the list you linked is for FY2022. If you click on this LINK, you'll find the audited financial report for ULAA that same year. Toward the bottom of page 5, you see the change in ULAA net position for 2022 was -8.66 million dollars. That's how much expenses exceeded revenues that year for the entire department.

You note from the same line that net position declined by $9.615 million the year before (2021). So in those two years, U of L "lost" more than $18 million in athletics. Again, these are audited financial reports from third-party accountants.

No, U of L athletics does not have any money because we have been doing this routinely since 2017. And we continue to lose money now although it's getting more difficult for me to track the losses since U of L has started stonewalling me on what used to be routine financial reports. Not a good sign...
OK then, Ben McCollum it is! 😁 Thanks Zipp!

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Don't look now but Richard Pitino has them Lobos balling their way towards an invite to the Big Dance. Maybe Rick can pay his salary for the first two years 🤔 😅🤪

Once again in no particular order, but Cronin was dropped and two newbies make the list. What say you...???

1. Nate Oats - Bama - 12-6
2. Eric Musselman - Arkansas - 10-8
3. Shaka Smart - Marquette - 13-5 #14
4. Sean Miller - Xavier - 10-8
5. Ben McCollum - NW Missouri St. (D2) - 13-4 #24
6. Grant McCasland - TX Tech - 15-3 #20
7. Chris Beard - Ole Miss - 15-3
8. Jerome Tang - KSU - 14-4
New Comers:
9. Niko Medved - Colorado State - 15-3 #24
10. Richard Pitino - New Mexico - 16-3 #25

I usually ask this question when I see a list… Anyone know if these guys have buyouts and what they are?

I know Tang’s is as much as Payne’s. (Six million goes to 12…)

Not sure if Tommy Lloyd is going to stay at Arizona. As bad as Louisville finances are Arizona sounds worse. The AD was fired for financial mismanagement. 3 years left on his deal so his buyout may not be stupid.

Look for coaches that have done more with less. Then look at their buyout. Then current salary. That is where I would start.

Cronin’s buyout eliminates him.
Beard’s is 6M. I don’t think that is doable along with KP’s buyout.
May’s buyout and salary can work.
Wade is absolutely doable but no way they go with him. He is going to push the NCAA on every issue.

A lot of good options out there just not might be a big name.

Holloway with Seaton Hall. Has won with less. Louisville can afford.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Holloway with Seaton Hall. Has won with less. Louisville can afford.
Now we're getting on the right track. Too many coaches at mid majors that are ready for the challenge and the right price...too many. And it's likely the direction this Program should go.

Its not always what you can afford. Holloway is a Seton Hall graduate. So is his wife and daughter. And yeah I get it or I use to, U of L is a marquee basketball program... There would be a lot of risk involved in taking a chance at Louisville.

...Cronin’s buyout eliminates him.
Beard’s is 6M. I don’t think that is doable along with KP’s buyout.
May’s buyout and salary can work.
Wade is absolutely doable but no way they go with him. He is going to push the NCAA on every issue...
Appreciate the numbers when they're available. They often aren't.

But as much as possible, the incoming coach's buyout needs to be a consideration. Esp. since all of that institution's money is likely due and payable immediately. You can cash flow Payne's buyout, probably not Cronin's or Tang's. And that matters a lot when you have money problems...

We are going to spend some money to make all this happen! Not sure what to tell you!

Side wager me and you this happens?!?!?

Nothing wrong with spending money to make money.

I’m not sure what tell someone who wants to spend millions we don’t have. You won’t get out of the starting gate…

Zipp you are the money man... What's the easiest way to find the buyouts of those 10?
I don’t know which is why I asked if others have info. My eyes got bigger when I heard what Tang’s buyout is. 👀

And to compound the issue, the other coach’s buyout probably has to be paid by U of L immediately. That’s a much bigger pill to swallow than paying Payne a couple million a year…

Beard is not the answer unless you want to drag up similarities between Pitino at Porcini's and Beard's transgressions. Throw in CBP's little motorcycle escapade. Can we not find a coach without strings attached simply for the sake of winning games?
I understand and I'm also tired of stuff like that happening with our biggest teams, but I'm at the point now (for basketball, football with CJB has been rectified) where I'm repeating what Al Davis said for the Raiders: "Just win!"

Beard is not the answer unless you want to drag up similarities between Pitino at Porcini's and Beard's transgressions. Throw in CBP's little motorcycle escapade. Can we not find a coach without strings attached simply for the sake of winning games?
He's my answer and one of the top 5 coaches in basketball. He's had one incident and the charges were dropped and he is still with her today, as I have said that is good enough for me!

I mean that was so long ago as to not even be relevant IMO. Beard may or may not be an option financially - depending upon whom you believe - but either way, with the hole that has been dug over the last few years, UofL may have to take a chance on an excellent coach who is rehabbing his image.

I understand the sentiment but honestly, coaches are paid to recruit, win games and try and graduate players. They are not the moral leaders of the community -nor should they be held up to be such.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I think we all have to realize building program in today’s world is extremely challenging. Players have all the leverage. I think the players at Louisville are just as guilty as the coaches the last several years. They act like pro’s in how they want to be coached and developed.

Beard has been brought up. In today’s world if Beard was a really bad guy players would not follow him. They would leave or tank the season to get his ass out of there. The opposite is happening the players are thriving under him. That has been the case wherever he went.

I am not worried about the money. I am more concerned about paying 6-8M to buy someone out and it not working. There are only a couple coaches I think would work that require that kind of investment. Beard, Lloyd, Drew and Cronin. Cronin as a today is too expensive therefore too risky. His buyout goes way down then OK. Folks Beard can freakin coach. More importantly he can knows which players fit his system.

I like Tang and the Oklahoma coach but at 6M will they work? I am not as confident. I rather go with a May, Grant or Holloway. I personally think Holloway is a homerun at his price.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT