ADVERTISEMENT

What now going forward ( backwards)?

UofLouisville

Two-Star Poster
Feb 18, 2023
So, what's it going to be the rest of the season? 0-19? 1-18, 2-17, 3-16? What further damage can be done over that time frame? Raise your hand if you think there is going to be a record better than the 4 options above for the remainder of the season. Where are all the other boosters besides the ones backing kp? Are they gone for good or just don't care anymore like the rest (majority) of the fan base? Maybe the other boosters know it's a waste as long as the current board is in place. There was a time we wouldn't have a problem finding the money to boot a coach who had a winning percentage of .257 and replace him with a doorknob and not lose anything. I have no idea but this program is efd beyond all recognition. And who is to say he won't be back for yet another year since he did "technically" improve on last year. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

We are one of a select few worst teams in power 5 conference basketball 2 years running at a top 10 program. One of the worst. There are many more teams outside of that power 5 that would love to put us on the schedule for an easy win. Pre-season games are no longer warm-ups to get in the flow but struggles. I just can't help but feel that by the time all of this is said and done Josh, or whomever replaces him, will need to obtain the services of Coach J Christ to fix this.

Sorry. I had to get that out of my system before the holidays. Merry Christmas everyone! Go Cards in Cali!

So, what's it going to be the rest of the season? 0-19? 1-18, 2-17, 3-16? What further damage can be done over that time frame? Raise your hand if you think there is going to be a record better than the 4 options above for the remainder of the season. Where are all the other boosters besides the ones backing kp? Are they gone for good or just don't care anymore like the rest (majority) of the fan base? Maybe the other boosters know it's a waste as long as the current board is in place. There was a time we wouldn't have a problem finding the money to boot a coach who had a winning percentage of .257 and replace him with a doorknob and not lose anything. I have no idea but this program is efd beyond all recognition. And who is to say he won't be back for yet another year since he did "technically" improve on last year. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

We are one of a select few worst teams in power 5 conference basketball 2 years running at a top 10 program. One of the worst. There are many more teams outside of that power 5 that would love to put us on the schedule for an easy win. Pre-season games are no longer warm-ups to get in the flow but struggles. I just can't help but feel that by the time all of this is said and done Josh, or whomever replaces him, will need to obtain the services of Coach J Christ to fix this.

Sorry. I had to get that out of my system before the holidays. Merry Christmas everyone! Go Cards in Cali!
Payne will be fired by April 1. Given that….What would you have done and why would those results be better than the current course of inaction?

Payne will be fired by April 1. Given that….What would you have done and why would those results be better than the current course of inaction?
There’s been a ton of talk that Payne was already going to be fired - what have you heard that leads you to believe that it will happen on 4/1 - when it hasn’t happened yet?

KP in the presser clearly and probably accidentally exposed his real feelings about Louisville. He can’t sell Louisville because he doesn’t believe Louisville is elite. His words. We now know why he has to move in silence because he can’t sell Louisville. That is why he went to Africa. It was the most revealing press conference he has had.

In a nutshell he never shifted out of his player development role into a head coach. At the end of the day that is all he knows. There are folks on this board that nailed it from the get go. All their worries proved to be right.

To me the next coach has to be someone has proven to be successful at this level with less talent. Chris Beard fits that mold even though I don’t think he would leave Miss at this point. Holloway at Seaton Hall.

There’s been a ton of talk that Payne was already going to be fired - what have you heard that leads you to believe that it will happen on 4/1 - when it hasn’t happened yet?

Yes, I thought he was going to be fired yesterday and many way more informed people than me thought likewise. As for April 1, Louisville cannot afford the continued deterioration in ticket sales past this season. That is why Payne will be fired by the end of the college basketball season. Hopefully UofL can wait long enough to save $2M. This year is a lost cause so there really isn’t any financial justification to firing him now. People aren’t going to buy tickets because Danny Manning is coaching the team. However there are plenty of people that have made it clear they will not renew if he is retained another year. The terrible Petrino contract, Mack being a b!tch and this terrible Payne contract have taken a toll.

Best case scenario now is to ride this out, take our L’s, fire Payne, save $2M, hire an energetic coach with a plan both in recruiting and n building excitement, and hope we can reengage our fanbase. Our NIL/transfer portal success in football, women’s bball and volleyball shows what our sky high potential is in men’s bball assuming we get a competent and hardworking coach.

Maybe cause it’s April fools day that would make it a good day too kick a fool to the curb!

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
The buyout drops saving 2 mil. If he actually makes it that far I suspect that’s the reason. Josh did not give him rousing endorsement. This seasons a lost cause whether we fired him yesterday or April 1st.

Reactions: BPGhost
fire Payne, save $2M, hire an energetic coach with a plan both in recruiting and n building excitement, and hope we can reengage our fanbase. Our NIL/transfer portal
There it is. I'm on the record advocating for someone,anyone young and talented (even someone from a mid major program) who can bring some energy back into the program. That someone that can recruit high IQ basketball players that can shoot,implementing an offense that is fun to watch. An offense that cherishes possessions,passes unselfishly and plays defense and pushes the ball down the court(this part would be fun).
If you get a guy like that out of the mid major ranks you'll also save millions. Those coaches are out there.

PS- I feel like I've been watching the same style of play since Pitino left. Stagnant half court offense,guys that can't dribble,pass or shoot. On top of that,no urgency to push the ball up the court after misses for something easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art79
KP in the presser clearly and probably accidentally exposed his real feelings about Louisville. He can’t sell Louisville because he doesn’t believe Louisville is elite. His words. We now know why he has to move in silence because he can’t sell Louisville. That is why he went to Africa. It was the most revealing press conference he has had.

In a nutshell he never shifted out of his player development role into a head coach. At the end of the day that is all he knows. There are folks on this board that nailed it from the get go. All their worries proved to be right.

To me the next coach has to be someone has proven to be successful at this level with less talent. Chris Beard fits that mold even though I don’t think he would leave Miss at this point. Holloway at Seaton Hall.
Good points. I would add, I don’t think he is near the salesman / brand ambassador that he’s been made out to be. Nike fed talent to both previous CBB destinations - at Oregon and the yuts.

Basically, his strengths, hell his entire resume has been embellished to make it seem that he was a capable part of those situations when in reality - he was simply a fortunate bystander.

The buyout drops saving 2 mil. If he actually makes it that far I suspect that’s the reason. Josh did not give him rousing endorsement. This seasons a lost cause whether we fired him yesterday or April 1st.

I’m contradicting myself on this but the one problem with waiting until the buyout drops is that the transfer portal will already be open prior to April 1 so there is potential to miss out on some guys. Tough decisions.

Good points. I would add, I don’t think he is near the salesman / brand ambassador that he’s been made out to be. Nike fed talent to both previous CBB destinations - at Oregon and the yuts.

Basically, his strengths, hell his entire resume has been embellished to make it seem that he was a capable part of those situations when in reality - he was simply a fortunate bystander.
I don’t want to diminish his skills in developing players. You see it with individuals. He is genuinely as terrific individual instructor. With that said that is a different world than being a head coach.

There is no way you can be a head coach at this level and be scared to compete for the best players. That what he said and it is unreal.

If this team wins more than 3 more games I’ll be pretty shocked.

I expect them to beat Notre Dame and pull up to 3 upsets. Give me 9-22 regular season. We might get lucky with a favorable matchup in the ACCT and squeak out a 10th win.

Clear progress.😂

i have no idea what $8 million or $6 million mean in this world.

is that a lot or a little in the world of college basketball?

i have no idea what $8 million or $6 million mean in this world.

is that a lot or a little in the world of college basketball?

$8 million is about 23% of UofL’s men’s basketball revenue ($35 million) as reported in the 2021-22 season. It’s definitely not insignificant, especially when the athletic department peels off $12 million of those revenues each year to fund other sports like baseball, softball, volleyball, women’s basketball, swimming and diving, track and field, field hockey, rowing, etc.

I’m contradicting myself on this but the one problem with waiting until the buyout drops is that the transfer portal will already be open prior to April 1 so there is potential to miss out on some guys. Tough decisions.
That is an excellent point. I’m just trying to look on the bright side of grave situation. KP should resign, but his loyalties aren’t with UofL. Now I’m just going to sit back and watch the Sh$$ show. And watch him continue to embarrass himself!

The president or someone from her office (higher ups) shut down the interim group from coming in and kicking KP to the curb. Would’ve been a solid group of former cards that would’ve gotten some butts in some seats. Probably would have given you 10-12 wins this year under them. But since KP is here for now at least, I won’t guess they’ll win more than 7 games this year.

The buyout difference is $2 million, a one time cost. We lose multiples of that every year in routine operations…

Last edited:
Well…just wait and see what happens after “Camp Kenny” which takes place every year at this time. Lights will come on for all the players as they have a collective “Aha” moment and suddenly understand KP’s complex and well-conceived offense and defense. Camp Kenny will sharpen skills and player attitudes. White will become the new assist leader in the ACC as his unselfish play raises the play of everyone else. Koron will be brought back and average a triple double for the rest of the season and Zan will take over at point guard and become the ACC POY. Cards go undefeated the rest of the year as fans, who called for a KP firing, will be humiliated and shamed.

I, for one, can’t wait!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT