ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

I would love to be wrong but I don't see Scott Drew coming here either. You definitely offer him and make him say no though.

w/ drew, in waco, simply too much $$$ in that state. i mean, A&M is paying their former football coach $76MM not to coach. i'm sure he gets tons of VIP comps and in TX those gotta be some good comps. TX oil money runs this country. louisville may have old school money, but TX dwarfs it.

as far as the dream, it certainly has to be Jay Wright. hoping since no one is talking about him that he's on the inner radar. i had heard his main reason for quitting was having to deal with all the nil stuff but if the 502 collective can possibly handle all that then maybe if it's taken care of he'd jump back in. he's only 63 and for a coach that's usually still pretty young. he's been away for two years, now it's time for the perfect return.
I certainly agree that not too many schools can compete with Texas universities that have the financial backing of well heeled boosters. The only thing that I would point out is that the main focus of their largesse is football - not basketball. Excluding the NFL - as the old saying goes, Texans’ interests break down as follows:

1. College Football
2. Spring College Football
3. High School Football

Baseball may even be more popular than CBB. In a climate like that, a CBB coach might certainly envision going to a school where CBB not only matters - but is revered.

Guy over on our "rival"( no pun intended) site, who many claim as some sort of major insider claims he will get the first offer and that he has said he is more than willing to entertain the thought. Take it for what it's worth. This poster is putting his reputation out there on it.
Hope this info is correct.

BTW…love the avatar and screen name. I consider Gilmour the best rock guitarist of all time.

Guy over on our "rival"( no pun intended) site, who many claim as some sort of major insider claims he will get the first offer and that he has said he is more than willing to entertain the thought. Take it for what it's worth. This poster is putting his reputation out there on it.
Let’s hope that it is actual information and not wishful thinking. Lol - there’s already a four page thread about why Drew would never take the job over on raftards.

The inbreds are nervous. 😂

The guy who posted that thread seems to have a good reputation for getting info. FWIW. He seems to be saying there is interest on both sides which is encouraging IMO. Interest doesn't remotely translate to a done deal but if Drew is who we're shooting for first it bodes well for us getting someone good.

I think with Drew it is more about wanting a different challenge while getting closer to home. If that is what he wants then I like Louisville’s chances. If it is about money probably not happening. Baylor has money.
Crawford had a cryptic tweet about look 600 miles west. He could be hearing there is interest as well. Who knows.

Let’s hope that it is actual information and not wishful thinking. Lol - there’s already a four page thread about why Drew would never take the job over on raftards.

The inbreds are nervous. 😂
I just hope we are not being used by Drew to get more money from Baylor. He might want to get Bruce Pearl or Chris Beard money. He's done something neither one of them has done.

I don't see a coach leaving the current school they've won a championship with to come here. I know there are other reasons but it just so rarely ever happens. For instance I don't see Dan Hurley leaving UConn, Bennett leaving UVA, Izzo leaving MSU, Self leaving KU, etc.

Again not saying you don't try to get them but realistically I don't see it happening. A little like those that want Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, or Brad Stevens.

I don't see a coach leaving the current school they've won a championship with to come here. I know there are other reasons but it just so rarely ever happens. For instance I don't see Dan Hurley leaving UConn, Bennett leaving UVA, Izzo leaving MSU, Self leaving KU, etc.

Again not saying you don't try to get them but realistically I don't see it happening. A little like those that want Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, or Brad Stevens.
The big difference between those guys you listed and the majority of guys talked about as possible candidates is that your list are at schools with fan bases that actually value basketball.

Baylor just opened a new arena - which sounds great until you realize that it seats 7K people.

The guy who posted that thread seems to have a good reputation for getting info. FWIW. He seems to be saying there is interest on both sides which is encouraging IMO. Interest doesn't remotely translate to a done deal but if Drew is who we're shooting for first it bodes well for us getting someone good.
If we still haven't hired anybody by F4 weekend the Drew talk (Assuming Baylor makes it that far) will probably get louder.

Someone recently brought up Scott Drew being a devout Christian and Baylor being a Christian university as another reason why he wouldn't leave. Not sure how strong a role that plays or not.

Someone recently brought up Scott Drew being a devout Christian and Baylor being a Christian university as another reason why he wouldn't leave. Not sure how strong a role that plays or not.
Well that could go both ways. As a protestant evangelist, it wouldn't be all that evangelical of him to stay.

Reactions: shadow force
As we close in on one of the most important hires we will make after 2 more games, here is the updated list that I currently have and now in tiers...
More than likely:
Scott Drew - Baylor - 22-8 #11
Nate Oats - Bama - 20-10 #16
Eric Musselman - Arkansas - 14-15

Perhaps;
Chris Beard - Ole Miss - 20-10
Jerome Tang - KSU - 17-13
Dusty May - FAU - 22-7

Outside Shot:
Shaka Smart - Marquette - 22-7 #8
Ben McCollum - NW Missou. St. (D2) - 24-4 #4
Greg McDermott - Creighton - 22-8 #12
Mark Few - Gonzaga - 24-6 #19

Once again, what say you...?

As we close in on one of the most important hires we will make after 2 more games, here is the updated list that I currently have and now in tiers...
More than likely:

Perhaps;
Dusty May - FAU - 22-7

Outside Shot:

Good list. I think I’d move Nate Oats down a tier and you need Cronin in there. Oats would be a home run hire but his buyout is big and I feel like he’s gonna leverage the heck out of Bama. I don’t want Cronin but he does have support from the Pitino acolytes called “Friends of the Ville”.

Good list. I think I’d move Nate Oats down a tier and you need Cronin in there. Oats would be a home run hire but his buyout is big and I feel like he’s gonna leverage the heck out of Bama. I don’t want Cronin but he does have support from the Pitino acolytes called “Friends of the Ville”.
I believe Oats buyout is similar to Drew's which if we have the money for one, we have it for the other. Also, Cronin's buyout is almost double both of theirs, so that is why he's not on the list.

More than likely:

Perhaps;
Dusty May - FAU - 22-7

Outside Shot:

Good list but one thing I always try to remember is a lot of coaches and ADs move in silence. Often, the names you hear the most tend to come from agents trying to get their guy a pay raise (probably Eric Musselman or Nate Oates)

I believe Oats buyout is similar to Drew's which if we have the money for one, we have it for the other. Also, Cronin's buyout is almost double both of theirs, so that is why he's not on the list.
UCLA and Cronin are currently sitting at 14-15 right now and unless there's a miracle will not make the tournament this year. Even though with UCLA's recent F4 experience, U of L fans know all about expecting playing in the tournament every year and "what have you done lately". Mick is already on the hot seat.

Reactions: BPGhost

There is credible chatter that Cronin’s buyout can be sharply reduced due to several factors - conference change, UCLA having Satterfield feelings about him. My hunch on Oats is that he is going to pull a Bruce Pearl and parlay the Louisville position to get himself some much desired upgrades at Bama.

Reactions: vivid_red
More than likely:

Perhaps;
Dusty May - FAU - 22-7

Outside Shot:

There are some really good coaches on this list,some making peanuts right now. If money is a problem luring guys like Oates away from their current situations,there are several guys that have proven themselves that would more than likely jump at the chance to double or even triple their salaries to land this gig.

There is credible chatter that Cronin’s buyout can be sharply reduced due to several factors - conference change, UCLA having Satterfield feelings about him. My hunch on Oats is that he is going to pull a Bruce Pearl and parlay the Louisville position to get himself some much desired upgrades at Bama.
Bama doesn't like playing 2nd fiddle to Auburn in anything and will likely give him the upgrades that he desires. That said, I am not sold on him due to what the Tide has shown on the defensive end.

Drew would be a huge get. I don't know about his long term goals or the strength of his ties to Baylor.

Mick could very well be in play, especially if his buyout is reduced. A lot depends on his family's reaction to the move. It may be time to get back closer to home.

The guy that Is a the top of my list is T.J. Otzelberger at Iowa State. His teams play great D and shoot the three very well. But his ties to Ames may be too strong. He has served under multiple coaches there as an assistant and his wife is a former player at ISU.

I like Musselman, but am not sold on his body of work while at Arkansas.

Any of them would be a huge get and should be a tremendous upgrade from the status quo. JMO

Reactions: shadow force
I have made my pick but have cleverly concealed it in the following statement. Pretty sure no one can figure it out, but all are welcome to try.

There once was a writer named Sir Frances SCOTT key who DREW upon his talent to pen our national anthem.

Good Luck!!!

The possible coaches, so far, from various sources today:

Scott Drew
Billy Donovan
Mick Cronin
Eric Musselman
Jerome Tang
Dusty May
Lamont Paris
Nico Medved
Pat Kelsey
Josh Schertz

One name that hasn't been mentioned yet by anyone is Danny Sprinkle at Utah State. Took Montana State to the NCAA tournament the last 2 years and now with Utah State is poised to be 3 for 3. Shu
More than likely:

Perhaps;
Dusty May - FAU - 22-7

Outside Shot:

One name that hasn't been mentioned yet by anyone is Danny Sprinkle at Utah State. Took Montana State to the NCAA tournament the last 2 years and now with Utah State is poised to be 3 for 3. With McDermott's new extension, he is probably the name I will replace him with. Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT