ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

I agree he isn’t leaving but using a win percentage on a coach that came from Saint Peter’s shouldn’t be the only factor.

There are guys out there the can coach that aren’t going to meet everyone’s criteria.

Do we see a current head coach accepting a job before the NCAA tournament? The portal changes everything.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
Time to get an update. Perhaps coming more into focus on order of want....
1. Nate Oats - Bama - 19-7 #13
2. Eric Musselman - Arkansas - 13-13
3. Shaka Smart - Marquette - 19-6 #7
4. Ben McCollum - NW Missou. St. (D2) - 21-4 #7
5. Greg McDermott - Creighton - 19-7 #17
6. Grant McCasland - TX Tech - 18-7 #23
7. Jerome Tang - KSU - 15-11
8. Chris Beard - Ole Miss - 19-6
9. Niko Medved - Colorado State - 20-6 #22
10. Dusty May - FAU - 20-6

What say you all...?
Why is McCasland on the list? Didn't he play at TX Tech?

The original list in this thread was started last year. Nobody has said take him off and in year 1 he's got it rolling at Tech. Him and McCollum would have been my 2 biggest Longshot sleepers that'd been great last year.

…You have to ask yourself why the heck would Beard, Drew, or some of those guys want to leave their situation to come to a circus show that we have now?…
We’re also just praying and hoping about any coach from the SEC. We can’t afford—or simply won’t pay—what a coach can make at an SEC school.

Nor are we in a big time ballgame that involve other financials like NIL and facilities. The program and athletic department have had a major setback whether or not anyone wants to admit it…

The original list in this thread was started last year. Nobody has said take him off and in year 1 he's got it rolling at Tech. Him and McCollum would have been my 2 biggest Longshot sleepers that'd been great last year.
I'm more just curious if there's a chance he'd even want to leave his alma mater, especially after only 1 year. But, I agree he can coach.

I was talking to a friend the other day who is a donor to Louisville athletics and he said a group of his friends is pushing for Richard Pitino. This doesn’t mean anything but he is doing well in New Mexico.

Not shooting the messenger by any stretch but IMO, Richard Pitino makes zero sense in any aspect.
Yeah, I can't see Richard coming here. Pitino blabbed in the media that he wants Richard to coach at St. John's when he retires. Why would we hire a guy that might leave for St. John's in a couple years?

Yeah, I can't see Richard coming here. Pitino blabbed in the media that he wants Richard to coach at St. John's when he retires. Why would we hire a guy that might leave for St. John's in a couple years?
Rick better start counting to 10 before starting anymore pressers after a loss otherwise, there won’t be a nepo-baby / legacy job for little Ricky to step into.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Rick better start counting to 10 before starting anymore pressers after a loss otherwise, there won’t be a nepo-baby / legacy job for little Ricky to step into.
I'm just glad it's not us. As bad as our situation is right now... If Pitino hadn't gotten fired, he'd probably be retired today, and Richard would be our coach for the next 5-10 years. At least we have hope right now of landing a great coach for next year.

Drew
Oats
Beard
Muss
Wade
Drew would be my number one choice. Split on Beard and Musselman. Don’t want Wade because of the past issues at LSU and he seems shady. I would like Oats but I don’t know if I would always like the way the team plays defense. Seems as though he relies on scoring enough points to beat the opponent

Drew would be my number one choice. Split on Beard and Musselman. Don’t want Wade because of the past issues at LSU and he seems shady. I would like Oats but I don’t know if I would always like the way the team plays defense. Seems as though he relies on scoring enough points to beat the opponent
Good point on Wade. Just looked it up and he is still on his show cause until June 2025 so that probably rules him out anyway.

I had Sampson in mind but because of his age and his son being coach in waiting at Houston I took him off the list. Tang just doesn't have a long enough track record as HC for my liking. There may be some "lesser" known names buy I'll have to look then up some more.

Maybe he’s ready for some new scenery? Waco ain’t exactly a hotspot.
Like I said, he's been there 21 years. I agree that maybe Waco ain't the best but he's about an hour and a bit south of Dallas Ft Worth and about an hour and a bit northeast of Austin. He's done what he set out to do there and that's win a NC. Now based on both teams recent history who do you think he has a better chance of getting his 2nd?

P.S - Bryce Drew might be more realistic.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
If you're looking for tell tale signs about who it might be that's being pursued as the next coach,watch for any implosions over the next few weeks from any of the teams associated with any of the coaches listed throughout this thread.

Might take a keen eye but still makes these conference tourneys that much juicier.

One name that appears to be kind of popular online but I've not personally heard many talk about is Iowa States TJ Otzelberger. Not familiar with him at all though- his style, recruiting, etc.

One name that appears to be kind of popular online but I've not personally heard many talk about is Iowa States TJ Otzelberger. Not familiar with him at all though- his style, recruiting, etc.
I understand that he and wife have deep ties to Iowa so he should be considered a long shot.

I understand that he and wife have deep ties to Iowa so he should be considered a long shot.
Gotcha. Apparently Otzelberger was popular in a few online polls which surprised me because I've heard no mention of him before as possible HC candidate for UofL.

Gotcha. Apparently Otzelberger was popular in a few online polls which surprised me because I've heard no mention of him before as possible HC candidate for UofL.
Actually, it is TJ's wife Allison with the deeper ties. She grew up in Iowa and played at Iowa State with a
stint in the WNBA and was head coach at Marshalltown IA CC for a bit. TJ is from Wisconsin and played
at at small college up there, however was assistant at State for 8 years before his first head jobs at
North Dakota State and UNLV.

Reactions: shadow force
We’re also just praying and hoping about any coach from the SEC. We can’t afford—or simply won’t pay—what a coach can make at an SEC school.

Nor are we in a big time ballgame that involve other financials like NIL and facilities. The program and athletic department have had a major setback whether or not anyone wants to admit it…
Facilities are still excellent and NIL, from what we are told, is very competitive. I don’t know where you get that from.

Facilities are still excellent and NIL, from what we are told, is very competitive. I don’t know where you get that from.
Atleast until our Adidas contract is up, I’m going to be feeling pretty comfortable with our NIL situation

Have you talked recently to the baseball and women’s basketball coaches? Or do you know more than them about their own sports?…

w/ drew, in waco, simply too much $$$ in that state. i mean, A&M is paying their former football coach $76MM not to coach. i'm sure he gets tons of VIP comps and in TX those gotta be some good comps. TX oil money runs this country. louisville may have old school money, but TX dwarfs it.

as far as the dream, it certainly has to be Jay Wright. hoping since no one is talking about him that he's on the inner radar. i had heard his main reason for quitting was having to deal with all the nil stuff but if the 502 collective can possibly handle all that then maybe if it's taken care of he'd jump back in. he's only 63 and for a coach that's usually still pretty young. he's been away for two years, now it's time for the perfect return.

w/ drew, in waco, simply too much $$$ in that state. i mean, A&M is paying their former football coach $76MM not to coach. i'm sure he gets tons of VIP comps and in TX those gotta be some good comps. TX oil money runs this country. louisville may have old school money, but TX dwarfs it.

as far as the dream, it certainly has to be Jay Wright. hoping since no one is talking about him that he's on the inner radar. i had heard his main reason for quitting was having to deal with all the nil stuff but if the 502 collective can possibly handle all that then maybe if it's taken care of he'd jump back in. he's only 63 and for a coach that's usually still pretty young. he's been away for two years, now it's time for the perfect return.
Agree Jay Wright would be a fantastic hire but everything I’ve read about him in the last few months indicates he is not coming out of retirement.

People do change their minds but he seems content where he is.

Have you talked recently to the baseball and women’s basketball coaches? Or do you know more than them about their own sports?…
My impression was we were talking MBB. I don’t know more than them about their own sports. I would wager that you don’t, either. Are you saying that coach Walz needs more facilities to get over the humpnand back to the FF? CDM needs a building to get back to Omaha? Nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT