ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

This is where we are, when fans are suggesting Tom Crean and Sweaty McSweaterson Williams.

Yet we're too good for a young, 4x National Championship coach from D2...
753ab6aafdbdfaf7ca3e4c4a846a5b1c.gif
That dude is obviously a troll that said Crean. Yes, that is where we are. Getting trolled.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
True. But Drew won the championship 2 years ago so not a great comparison.
Nothing wrong with my example except that it goes against your "championship coach" credential.

Drew was 51 in his title year. Crum was 49 when he won his SECOND title.

Kevin Ollie won an NCAA championship. So did Calipari...

Nothing wrong with my example except that it goes against your "championship coach" credential.

Drew was 51 in his title year. Crum was 49 when he won his SECOND title.

Kevin Ollie won an NCAA championship. So did Calipari...

I never said winning a championship was "my credential" for UofLs next coach. You're making that up in your head.

There's a lot more to Drew than just a title. Since the title they got a 1 and 3 seed. They were also major victims in the COVID year the year prior to the title, they finished that season #5.

They currently sit 9-1 not sure how good they are but they are in position to at least have a shot at a big year heading into conference play.

And he's doing it at a place that has zero basketball tradition. Of course he inherited one of the biggest train wrecks in college basketball history too.

He did listen when UGA called, really not sure if he'd want to transition to a non-NIKE program like UofL, and also pick up another dumpster fire challenge.

I do wonder if the NIKE bag men are a key part of that success, maybe so.

In order to fairly describe situations on a message board you need to write a novel, and some people don't feel like doing that, or reading a novel either.

...In order to fairly describe situations on a message board you need to write a novel, and some people don't feel like doing that, or reading a novel either.
You just did a reasonable job without writing anything close to a novel (which you're right, I wouldn't have read...)

Some people just express a lazy narrative. And I'm not saying anyone does that routinely. Just don't get torqued up when someone points that out...

I keep seeing a lot of names thrown around but not really anything about Scott Drew at Baylor. Am I missing something there because I kinda think he goes on the list of coaches you make tell you no. They play good ball and he's won a championship.

It was said on Louisville sports talk that they spoke with Drew before CKP was ultimately hired but that conversation "did not go well."

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Another coach using Louisville to get what he wants. He has a $17m buyout Louisville isn’t in any position to pay that nor should they. This whining about NIL is a red flag. You better be able to coach and identify talent. It is clear Louisville isn’t a destination for elite guys. Data shows that over the last 10 years.

Ok, I can't take this death by papercut anymore. KP has to go at the end of the season. If so, who realistically do you think would be our top 5 options?

1. Nate Oats
2. Richard Pitino
3. Travis Ford
4. Sean Miller
5. Grant McCasland

Thoughts...?
Joke of a list. 2,3,4 NO! #5 who is he? There are better candidates out there.

My top four candidates are 1. Dan Hurley 2. Chris Beard 3. Scott Drew 4. Mick Cronin
Some of you may think the top 3 are unattainable, but if I’m Heird I’m throwing them my best offers and making them say no before I settle for Cronin

My post keep disappearing before I can finish them before I can finish them. What everyone needs to realize is that we might not even have a team next year. we only have one recruit and he is only a 3 star and I can guarantee you that half or more than half the players will transfer out. I would get someone like Chris Beard who can coach and rebuild a team from the bottom. Our program has been bought down to where it is a total collaspe.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Yep. All this talk about giving kp a chance to build the program is trash when he will have to start over every year. And it's quite obvious he will need multiple years with the same players in order to MAYBE approach a .500 record. Fire his ass, the sooner the better.

Keep up, the updated list was this....

1. Nate Oats - 6-3
2. Eric Musselman - 6-4
3. Shaka Smart - 8-2
4. Sean Miller - 5-5
5. Ben McCollum - 7-3
6. Mick Cronin - 5-3
7. Grant McCasland
8. Chris Beard - 9-0
9. Jerome Tang - 8-2

Curious what kinda annual pay we think these coaches will demand to take the U of L job.

Mack got $4 million six years ago with one visit to the Elite Eight on his resume…

Last edited:
So let's say $5 million gets a coach fans here will be happy with. Payne's buyout annuity is reportedly $2 million for 3-4 years, and he makes around $3-1/2 million now.

$5 plus $2 minus $3-1/2 equals $3-1/2 million more annually to fire Payne and get a good replacement. That's around a 50% increase in the men's basketball budget for the next 3-4 years in an athletic department that's already losing millions each year.

Just trying to keep track of what this guy is up against...

usa_today_19380699.jpg

So let's say $5 million gets a coach fans here will be happy with. Payne's buyout annuity is reportedly $2 million for 3-4 years, and he makes around $3-1/2 million now.

$5 plus $2 minus $3-1/2 equals $3-1/2 million more annually to fire Payne and get a good replacement. That's around a 50% increase in the men's basketball budget for the next 3-4 years in an athletic department that's already losing millions each year.

Just trying to keep track of what this guy is up against...

usa_today_19380699.jpg
What can he do with the situation to satisfy you?

Satisfying me is far from what he will ever accomplish.

He's in a no-win situation. Not even Jurich could get out of this box.

Five thousand people attending games, no money in reserve, and a $10-15 million expense over the next few years.

Heird's best strategy is to have headhunters out there plowing the fields...

Satisfying me is far from what he will ever accomplish.

He's in a no-win situation. Not even Jurich could get out of this box.

Five thousand people attending games, no money in reserve, and a $10-15 million expense over the next few years.

Heird's best strategy is to have headhunters out there plowing the fields...
So you see no possible satisfying action the AD can take with it. Guess I already knew that just wanted to see it in writing up front.

Heird shouldn't be able to satisfy any U of L fan with reasonable expectations. He's a fledgling AD when we definitely need a great one like we once had.

Since we have ANOTHER thread being diverted in zipp's direction...

It's not my job or anyone else's to lay out a recovery plan for a disaster not of our making. Heird didn't cause it either, but he stepped into it voluntarily and is collecting a nice paycheck.

I questioned the legitimacy of these people from the first day. I'm the last person obliged to answer a question how to fix the situation regardless of who does it.

If I was vindictive and not a fan at the core, I'd be hoping the clowns fail yet another time. But I still don't have a problem being proven wrong about them, as slim a chance as that has become...

“It's not my job or anyone else's to lay out a recovery plan for a disaster not of our making.”

But you always seem to see it as your job to lay every misfortune at the feet of the current AD. It other words, you love to offer criticism but never come with solutions. Every business/ workplace has a guy like you. In most cases, everyone in the office avoids that guy.

Reactions: BPGhost
Heird shouldn't be able to satisfy any U of L fan with reasonable expectations. He's a fledgling AD when we definitely need a great one like we once had.

Since we have ANOTHER thread being diverted in zipp's direction...

It's not my job or anyone else's to lay out a recovery plan for a disaster not of our making. Heird didn't cause it either, but he stepped into it voluntarily and is collecting a nice paycheck.

I questioned the legitimacy of these people from the first day. I'm the last person obliged to answer a question how to fix the situation regardless of who does it.

If I was vindictive and not a fan at the core, I'd be hoping the clowns fail yet another time. But I still don't have a problem being proven wrong about them, as slim a chance as that has become...
I just asked you what you wanted to see happen with the basketball HC hiring process, what would be satisfying for you. You answered that there is no answer you could think of, and I didn't challenge or debate it at all. I'm unsure why you are hitting the all caps at me. All caps typically indicates strong emotions into a point of view.

I just asked you what you wanted to see happen with the basketball HC hiring process, what would be satisfying for you. You answered that there is no answer you could think of, and I didn't challenge or debate it at all. I'm unsure why you are hitting the all caps at me. All caps typically indicates strong emotions into a point of view.
All cap usually typically indicates strong emotions….in lieu of actual facts.

Why did you ask me a question you said you already knew the answer to? Maybe I misunderstood your intent…

Why did you ask me a question you said you already knew the answer to? Maybe I misunderstood your intent…

I was curious to see if you would surprise me. You didn't. I asked if there was a hire that would satisfy you and you leaned in on the AD and posted his photo. Great.

Back to topic.

You don't have a hire that you are willing to share that would satisfy you, or a satisfying hire just doesn't exist for you.

Ok.

“It's not my job or anyone else's to lay out a recovery plan for a disaster not of our making.”

But you always seem to see it as your job to lay every misfortune at the feet of the current AD. It other words, you love to offer criticism but never come with solutions. Every business/ workplace has a guy like you. In most cases, everyone in the office avoids that guy.
Your understanding of me is superficial. It’s a lot easier identifying our problems than the solutions. And I’m not being paid to fix anything.

As far as the guy whose job it is to fix, I already said Heird didn’t create most of our problems. But it’s important to understand whether he’s up to the task. Not even sure Jurich could get this train back on the tracks.

If avoid is the best course of action, follow your own advice…

I was curious to see if you would surprise me. You didn't. I asked if there was a hire that would satisfy you and you leaned in on the AD and posted his photo. Great.

Back to topic.

You don't have a hire that you are willing to share that would satisfy you, or a satisfying hire just doesn't exist for you.

Ok.
If by hire you’re talking about a basketball coach, I’ve lost interest in attacking the problem there—because that’s not a long term fix. The basketball program was spiraling down before Payne got here.

We make no good decisions in athletics that don’t involve maintaining the status quo. What we wanna call accomplishments are keeping a baseball or volleyball coach. Why would I expect the same operation to go out and find a good coach in the very sport they have mostly laid waste to? It’s not logical.

The hire I wanna focus on is a President who’s little more than a name. She can’t possibly be doing anything for athletics. And if I just get to replace one person that means anything, it would be that position. Get someone outside academics with strong Louisville ties and who’s willing to break ranks with clowns…

Reactions: KozmasAgain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT