ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones the total idiot

Kansas, dUKe, UCLA, Ohio State, Louisville.....that's almost 3x more than "a couple"

To be fair,taking a 1 year sample of scheduling ooc with a team built like that one,would be a skewed sample.Cal,like a lot of coaches,schedules according to what he has coming in.

Kansas, dUKe, UCLA, Ohio State, Louisville.....that's almost 3x more than "a couple"
I must have watched a different team... When the hell did Duke and OSU play LPT on the schedule?

UCLA was a joke, and Kansas was a semi-joke. The ACC provided your only decent competition. Two games out of 34. That's an elite schedule.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Talking about the upcoming season non-conference schedule....and to no one's surprise, you go into an 'analysis' of how 'good' a couple of the teams were last year, despite the fact that through the histories of those programs, they've been 2 of the Top 10 programs of all time.... one of them leading in national titles, the other #2 in all-time wins. Your shot at Kansas is pretty comical....considering they won the Big 12 title and finished the year with the same amount of losses as uofl.....

Reactions: blubo
"Cards still hold the most recent Championship trophy" ....there must be some mythical award for that, I guess.....just like the one we UK fans can claim about ending uofl's season 2 of the past 3 years.

If there's evidence of a trophy for either of those accomplishments.... please let us know.

Talking about the upcoming season non-conference schedule....and to no one's surprise, you go into an 'analysis' of how 'good' a couple of the teams were last year, despite the fact that through the histories of those programs, they've been 2 of the Top 10 programs of all time.... one of them leading in national titles, the other #2 in all-time wins. Your shot at Kansas is pretty comical....considering they won the Big 12 title and finished the year with the same amount of losses as uofl.....
"Same amount of losses" proves nothing. They couldn't get past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, i.e., what matters most. Overrated--something you know about firsthand.

No one knows how good your schedule is next year because no one knows how good those teams are gonna be. All you can do is speculate. I looked at your most recent results, and Carolina and U of L were the best two teams you played.

That's the problem playing a few marquee games OOC and in a dumpster fire conference. You're subject to the ups and downs of the elite teams you play.

You can't play against yourself. Deduct 8 from that 11.

Well, you don't really play that many good teams OOC either.

It's funny because each year we hear how UK always has to play a strong OOC schedule to offset the weak SEC. Now we hear that UK doesn't play anyone OOC either despite the fact that our OOC schedule is in top 3 year in and year out.

Well, let's look at the 2014-15 OOC schedule for LPT...

Grand Canyon
Buffalo
Kansas
Boston U.
Montana St.
TX-Arlington
Providence
Texas
EKU
Columbia
UNC
UCLA
U of L

Out of those 13 games, that's ONE team (Carolina) that finished in the Sagarin Top Ten. And the Heels finished barely in there at #10. Just 4 were in the Top 20. And if I'm not mistaken, only one of those 13 games was a true road game.

Add to that the ridiculous SEC schedule.

Kinda weak for the best team in modern college basketball history.

Last edited:
Your point? They were 13-0 against those 13 teams. You keep talking in circles. When someone tells you that UK plays one of the Top non-conference schedules on an annual basis, you just ignore it and attempt to dissect the schedule from one season. What are we supposed to do, list the non-conference schedule for the past 10 seasons before you're ok with the 'sample'?

And if you remember correctly, that schedule was ranked in the top 5 Zipp.
All that matters is where the TEAMS on it are ranked. You don't play "the schedule" in one afternoon.

Weak sauce for a 40-0 steamroller.

Your point? They were 13-0 against those 13 teams. You keep talking in circles. When someone tells you that UK plays one of the Top non-conference schedules on an annual basis, you just ignore it and attempt to dissect the schedule from one season. What are we supposed to do, list the non-conference schedule for the past 10 seasons before you're ok with the 'sample'?
Did I not refer to the most representative season, that is, the last one? You'd be 13-0 playing the bottom 13 teams--what does that prove?

I don't ignore anything. I DO dissect the argument and use facts. You just don't like the results.

Since Cal has been at UK.... UNC, UCONN, IU, Kansas, dUKe, St. John's, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Maryland, Baylor and uofl have all been on the schedule at some point, some of them repeatedly. Your attempts to bring that down are some serious uphill sledding.

Since Cal has been at UK.... UNC, UCONN, IU, Kansas, dUKe, St. John's, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Maryland, Baylor and uofl have all been on the schedule at some point, some of them repeatedly. Your attempts to bring that down are some serious uphill sledding.
Spread out over six years and considering you play 35 or so games a year, that ain't that impressive. Sorry. And in some of those years, those elite teams were not world beaters. Like UCLA last year.

That schedule SOUNDS good. And in advance. But once the rubber meets the road each season, not so elite.

"And in some of those years, those elite teams were not world beaters. Like UCLA last year." ...and there it is.....the usual "break it down further rather than see the big picture". The presence of 'UCLA' on anyone's non-conference schedule is a boost to that schedule based on who they are....the program with the most national titles in college basketball. It's pretty obvious that no matter what facts you're faced with, there will always be some little caveat or excuse you come up with to try to discredit UK's wins.

"And in some of those years, those elite teams were not world beaters. Like UCLA last year." ...and there it is.....the usual "break it down further rather than see the big picture". The presence of 'UCLA' on anyone's non-conference schedule is a boost to that schedule based on who they are....the program with the most national titles in college basketball...
That's a lotta bull$hit from the fan of a team who thinks he's elite simply because of the name on the jersey.

Your schedule sucks because of the overall quality of the teams on it. Not their names.

And if you think about it... If you played a little better schedule, you might not have a hyperinflated image of how good you are/were.

Like last year.

"Your schedule sucks because of the overall quality of the teams on it. Not their names." You really should pay more attention to SOS rankings, RPI, all that stuff that factors in to NCAA tournament seeding. They pretty much refute your claims on an annual basis.

.....even more mind boggling is the fact that as long as your team continues to lose to UK on the hard wood, who are you to criticize?

"Your schedule sucks because of the overall quality of the teams on it. Not their names." You really should pay more attention to SOS rankings, RPI, all that stuff that factors in to NCAA tournament seeding. They pretty much refute your claims on an annual basis.

.....even more mind boggling is the fact that as long as your team continues to lose to UK on the hard wood, who are you to criticize?
I just quoted you the Sagarin ratings of the teams on your schedule.

And are you trying to change the subject again?

Use whatever stat you want....the SOS, RPI, whatever....all weigh into a team's NCAA tournament seed. Those #'s continue to flat oppose your 'weak schedule' theories.

LPT played none of the top nine teams in the Sagarin final ranking last year (eight besides LPT). That's a fact.

And your team failed in large part because it didn't play a tough enough schedule. Doesn't even matter if you tried.

"Elite program, my a$$...

Sagarin ranking? Is that the 'measuring stick' you're going with? Seems like all last year and in previous years, KenPom, SOS and RPI were more relevant ranking tools.

Andrew Harrison and Dakari Johnson drafted in the second round. Aaron Harrison not drafted. All three were 5* out of high school and came with the allure of being one and done to the nba. Harrison twins were top ten out of HS.

I blame John Callipari. His players first mentallity fed the Harrison twins self-centeredness and prevented them from developing a team mentality. His platoon system put other players first without developing Dakari Johnson. He cost all of them millions of dollars.

This crap is easy. I don't have a radio show or a law degree from Duke, and I can do what Matt Jones does.

6 cardfaninmemphis, Jun 26, 2015
National Title count:

ACC 13 SEC 11. .... pretty close for a 'dumpster fire conference'.

At the end of the day, it's the players decision to leave if they think they're ready. Aaron Harrison just signed a 2-year deal with Charlotte. He thought it was his time and went into the draft with his brother, despite where he was projected to go. Just because you're a 5-star player out of high school, the NBA is still not guaranteed.

Sagarin ranking? Is that the 'measuring stick' you're going with? Seems like all last year and in previous years, KenPom, SOS and RPI were more relevant ranking tools.
If you play an elite basketball schedule, should it matter what ranking system I choose?

According to Sagarin rankings the SEC has consistently for the last decade been a very weak conference in basketball.

According to the USA Today Coaches Poll, LPT played one team in their final Top 10. And two teams in the RPI Top 10.

By comparison, U of L played five games against the Coaches Top 10 during the regular season and conference postseason. And EIGHT games against the RPI Top 10.

That's why both teams surprised--in different directions--in the NCAA tournament.

The fact remains.....and say this slowly to yourself.... UK lost ONE game last year....in the post-season....after winning 38 straight games. ....and you want to tie that loss to the regular season schedule... a schedule that includes NCAA tournament teams like Kansas, UCLA, Buffalo, Providence, UNC, uofl, Texas, Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, and Ole Miss. By your logic, you just choose to ignore the fact that Wisconsin was pretty damned good.... had a 12-point lead in the title game. Instead, nope....UK lost 'because of their schedule'. Your argument is simply opinion driven at best.

Playing in the SEC, playing most of your OOC games at home and hardly any good teams on the road, you're setting yourself up for failure. You barely got by ND, and Wisky led two-thirds of the semi-final. How tough were the Badgers?... Well, they lost the next game to Duke.

LPT gets an over-inflated image of how good it is playing its schedule. That's a fact. It's why you talk about being elite and one of the best college basketball teams of all times, and then barely make the Final Four as the #1 overall seed.

Fun to watch.

"barely got by ND" ....gee, I wonder how that happened? Certainly not because ND wasn't any good? This is the same ND that waxed Duke at one point in the season, yes?

"It's why you talk about being elite and one of the best college basketball teams of all times"

...Nah, 8 National Titles, Most wins ALL TIME, and many other statistical categories where UK is on top is why we talk about that.

...and you still haven't answered this: ".....even more mind boggling is the fact that as long as your team continues to lose to UK on the hardwood, who are you to criticize?"

Last edited:
Well, you're trying to change the debate--again--to now U of L vs. LPT. And of course, I've answered that question (so has your coach) numerous times WRT to your hot garbage schedule...

Super Bowl.

Last year's TEAM didn't win 8 NCAAs. That's the discussion. Although it was billed as 40-0 and one of the all time best before the NCAA flame out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT