ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones the total idiot

Most likely, Steelers. We countered with 'Ten Loss 'Tino'.... just one of the many verbal grenades the 2 sides throw at each other.

My memory isn't all that great, so I won't make any claims I can't support, but MY memory of the "10 loss Tubby" thing is that the phrase came from UK fans, unhappy with Tubby, not UofL fans. Was it some of both?

There is some revisionist history as far as Tubby goes. A lot of UK fans were loyal to him to the end, even though the Final Four drought was nine years at that point. There were many who felt we could get much better, and Cal proved the correct but only after two years of BCG. You guys have been very lucky to have Crum and Pitino only since what...1972?

Cal is 22-4 in the NCAA tournament. Tubby was 23-9. Cal makes the Elite Eight 84 percent of the time and the Final Four 67 percent of the time. With Tubby those numbers were 40 and 10. Tubby's numbers are very similar to Rick's at U of L, but nothing like Cal's at UK.
You and I just agreed earlier... When it comes to comparing performance at the top of the pyramid, it's about winning a title.

All you have to do to get to a Final Four as a one-seed is beat the teams you're supposed to beat the first four games. And probably while playing closer to home.

Crowing about Final Fours means you're just lowering the bar. Or covering Pitino Lite's a$$.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Calipari's UK resume is far superior to tubby or ricks at UK, as well as rick at ul.
If you're talking about hiring or firing them, I agree. You have to look at their complete body of work.

If you're talking about distinguishing yourself as an elite program--the highest end of the spectrum--they each have one title during their respective tenures.

You interviewed the GMs of the 2013 playoff teams, did you? Why wouldn't he be considered? Whatever happened to production over potential?
I believe someone already posted the stats so I'll steal from them
6'0 in shoes
165 lbs
22 years old
41.4% FG
32.8% 3pt
2.9 ast
1.07 A/T
What part of that production says NBA point guard to you? I don't need to talk to NBA GM's to know he was never considered a 1st round pick.

I'll conceed that he apparently didn't help his stock by returning, despite putting up drastically better numbers. I'm sure he would have went mid-late 2nd round in 2013, but he never would have developed those point guard skills before being thrown to the wolves. He was arguably the best point guard in the 2014 summer league and got a guaranteed 2 year deal from New Orleans as a result. Hard to say he made the wrong decision to return to UofL for a senior season.

The picks that NBA GM's will make at times boggle the mind. I can freely admit I have no idea how Archie Goodwin was picked in the 1st round. IMO, he simply wasn't that good.

You and I just agreed earlier... When it comes to comparing performance at the top of the pyramid, it's about winning a title.

All you have to do to get to a Final Four as a one-seed is beat the teams you're supposed to beat the first four games. And probably while playing closer to home.

Crowing about Final Fours means you're just lowering the bar. Or covering Pitino Lite's a$$.

I wasn't crowing. You bash Calipari and I defend him. Don't you think it's weird that Pitino Lite is 7-1 against Pitino? I mean, I could see 4-4 or maybe, possibly 5-3. But 7-1. hmmm.

I believe someone already posted the stats so I'll steal from them
6'0 in shoes
165 lbs
22 years old
41.4% FG
32.8% 3pt
2.9 ast
1.07 A/T
What part of that production says NBA point guard to you? I don't need to talk to NBA GM's to know he was never considered a 1st round pick.

Wasn't he the MVP of the Midwest regional? We're not talking Wayne Blackshear here. We're talking a dynamic player who can finish at the rim, despite his size. I'm not saying he fits the prototype of an NBA guard. But he was the best player all year long on a national title team. Why doesn't that mean more than some Euro's stats or some kid who played at a small school? I guess I'm just old school. The draft used to value production a heck of a lot more than potential. If I've got a rim protector on my team, I take Russ Smith because I know he knows how to score when you need a basket.

Reactions: blubo
I wasn't crowing. You bash Calipari and I defend him. Don't you think it's weird that Pitino Lite is 7-1 against Pitino? I mean, I could see 4-4 or maybe, possibly 5-3. But 7-1. hmmm.
You're a school fixated on basketball, and that's the Super Bowl factor that your coach talks about all the time. Oh, and 30 NBA draft picks in that timeframe.

Why is that so easy for me to explain?

Nope, but Skal is. #1 pick next year.

I'm sure you meant to say PROJECTED #1 pick next year, right? Quick question, who was the PROJECTED #1 pick in THIS year's draft on July 1st, 2014? I don't know, but I don't THINK it was Karl Anthiny Towns, was it?

I'm sure you meant to say PROJECTED #1 pick next year, right? Quick question, who was the PROJECTED #1 pick in THIS year's draft on July 1st, 2014? I don't know, but I don't THINK it was Karl Anthiny Towns, was it?

Towns, Okafor, or Mudiay.

Towns, Okafor, or Mudiay.

Were the PROJECTED #1 pick for this year's draft on July 1, 2015? Ok, I won't even ask for a link; I'll take your word on this one. So, it's accuratd to say no one IS the #1 pick in any draft, a year before that draft occurs, correct? They can only be considered as a potential #1 pick.

Were the PROJECTED #1 pick for this year's draft on July 1, 2015? Ok, I won't even ask for a link; I'll take your word on this one. So, it's accuratd to say no one IS the #1 pick in any draft, a year before that draft occurs, correct? They can only be considered as a potential #1 pick.

Yes and no brainers.

Many thought Mudiay, and he lost a little luster by playing in China.

You're a school fixated on basketball, and that's the Super Bowl factor that your coach talks about all the time. Oh, and 30 NBA draft picks in that timeframe.

Why is that so easy for me to explain?

Because in your head it makes sense? I don't know. Doesn't make much sense to the rest of us. You call him Pitino Lite when Pitino is 1-7 against him. What does that have to do with fixations and draft picks. It's your insult, not ours.

False again. Neither Wall, Davis, or Towns went to the NIT.
Noel was projected to be the #1 pick before his injury. The same projection as your #1 guy now.

Same circumstances--no guarantees on where (NIT) you end up.

The only guarantee I'll make is Anthony Davis ain't walkin' through that door.

Last edited:
Because in your head it makes sense? I don't know. Doesn't make much sense to the rest of us...
So what about this doesn't make sense?...
  • You've had, what, five time more NBA draft picks since Pitino Lite arrived.
  • You play basketball on a pedestal miles above all other sports.
  • U of L is and always will be your Super Bowl.
(And before you deny the third point, please link the dozen or so posts you've made on the North Carolina or Duke message boards today.)

The LPT record over the last eight games is 7-1. Everything I just summarized makes sense to anyone but LPT fans.

I think you are forgetting the fact that you are playing SEC basketball which barely a step above high school basketball.

So what about this doesn't make sense?...
  • You've had, what, five time more NBA draft picks since Pitino Lite arrived.
  • You play basketball on a pedestal miles above all other sports.
  • U of L is and always will be your Super Bowl.
(And before you deny the third point, please link the dozen or so posts you've made on the North Carolina or Duke message boards today.)

The LPT record over the last eight games is 7-1. Everything I just summarized makes sense to anyone but LPT fans.

* It's not Cal's fault that Pitino gets five star recruits like Behanan and Blackshear and they don't get drafted. You'll have an excuse for every one of those cases, just like you do for Smith and Harrell falling to the second round.
* If we put so much more emphasis on basketball, why did we finish higher than you in the Director's Cup...again? We spend a lot of money on football, but we're going up against teams that still spend twice as much as we do every year. We are good in women's hoops, softball, baseball (not to your level, but you have an elite coach), volleyball. You're the program with all that revenue, thanks to your Yum Center deal.
* U of L is our regular season Super Bowl, and we are yours. That's the way it should be, if we want to claim the best rivalry in college basketball. But Cal is hearing it from fans despite being 7-1 "in our Super Bowl".

I think you are forgetting the fact that you are playing SEC basketball which barely a step above high school basketball.

That's funny, since the SEC won titles in 2012, 2007, 2006, 1998, 1996, and 1994. That's on top of the teams they had in the final in 2014, 2000, 1997 and 1995. They also had two teams in the Final Four in 2014, 2007, 1996 and 1994.

I'm pretty sure the ACC is the only other conference that can match that during the last 25 years. Not bad for a football league.

Out of curiosity, Zipp, why do you keep saying that the game is UK's Super Bowl? I just wanted to know where that came from. Seems a little odd when even UofL fans would have to admit that UK is the better basketball program historically and now (although UofL is obviously very strong and just outside blueblood status), and of course UK is the major state university. I just don't get how that game would be our Super Bowl. I sort of wish it was, however, because that means we would be extremely successful.

...he says it's our 'Super Bowl' in an effort for pre-emptive damage control, to take the sting away from another impending loss. The logic is to say the game doesn't matter to them, so it doesn't matter that UK wins. Downplaying at its best.

Out of curiosity, Zipp, why do you keep saying that the game is UK's Super Bowl? I just wanted to know where that came from. Seems a little odd when even UofL fans would have to admit that UK is the better basketball program historically and now (although UofL is obviously very strong and just outside blueblood status), and of course UK is the major state university. I just don't get how that game would be our Super Bowl. I sort of wish it was, however, because that means we would be extremely successful.
Because the UofL game in December is often UK's last chance to play a nationaly relevant team prior to selection Sunday.

...he says it's our 'Super Bowl' in an effort for pre-emptive damage control, to take the sting away from another impending loss. The logic is to say the game doesn't matter to them, so it doesn't matter that UK wins. Downplaying at its best.
That is odd, because I recall that it mattered a whole hell of a lot to Zipp and I suspect every other UofL fan before the current streak. It is a big rivalry game, so it has to mean something, even though in the grand scheme of the season it is overshadowed by the tournament. I've seen a ton of posts on Louisville message boards criticizing Pitino for not winning the game recently, and I have seen posts of the UK boards criticizing Cal for trying to downplay the game's significance (though I get why he does that because of the young players).

Because the UofL game in December is often UK's last chance to play a nationaly relevant team prior to selection Sunday.
Hmm, so I guess he views this as a new phenomenon because the SEC has historically had at least one or two other very strong teams, and UofL was in mid-major conferences until 10 years ago. As I said, if that game is our Super Bowl, then we are doing pretty damn good, so it doesn't bother me.

* It's not Cal's fault that Pitino gets five star recruits like Behanan and Blackshear and they don't get drafted. You'll have an excuse for every one of those cases, just like you do for Smith and Harrell falling to the second round.

Again, you have ZERO proof that Russ Smith would've ever been drafted in the first round. That is your opinion only. Let me guess, you give Rick Pitino NO credit at all for Smith, a former 2/3 star recruited by almost no one, for becoming an All American and getting drafted to the NBA in the first place? I'm pretty sure 98% of all other UK posters were saying there was no way Smith would ever play in the NBA while he was at UofL.

Second, you are no different when talking about Cal or UK players. You guys always have an excuse for when highly rated 5 star guys like the Aaron Harrison doesn't even get drafted, Andrew Harrison and Johnson tumble way down into the 2nd round, guys like Poythress/Wiltjer/Harrow/Poole don't work out etc. but it's never Cal's fault in any of it. Right?

Again, you have ZERO proof that Russ Smith would've ever been drafted in the first round. That is your opinion only. Let me guess, you give Rick Pitino NO credit at all for Smith, a former 2/3 star recruited by almost no one, for becoming an All American and getting drafted to the NBA in the first place? I'm pretty sure 98% of all other UK posters were saying there was no way Smith would ever play in the NBA while he was at UofL.

Second, you are no different when talking about Cal or UK players. You guys always have an excuse for when highly rated 5 star guys like the Aaron Harrison doesn't even get drafted, Andrew Harrison and Johnson tumble way down into the 2nd round, guys like Poythress/Wiltjer/Harrow/Poole don't work out etc. but it's never Cal's fault in any of it. Right?

And you have zero proof that he wouldn't have gone first round. Just opinions on both our part.

It's fair to knock Cal on the Harrisons, as long as you also give him credit for forcing Karl Towns to stay inside all year long, which vaulted him over Okafor and made him a lot more money. When Cal takes a kid who is one of the top ranked kids coming in and that kid goes high in the lottery, you tend to say "well he didn't really help him, the kid was going lottery anyway." Okay, so what happened to Shabazz Muhammad at UCLA, Harrison Barnes at UNC, Billy Thompson at U of L, etc etc etc? And when Pitino gets his hands on a five star like Behanan or Blackshear and they don't even get drafted after three or four years, it's the kid's fault, right? Pitino is a hell of a coach. But like Tubby, he relies on a system that isn't conducive to helping players in the NBA. Like a college football coach who wins a lot of games running the option.

It's not Cal's fault that Pitino gets five star recruits like Behanan and Blackshear and they don't get drafted. You'll have an excuse for every one of those cases, just like you do for Smith and Harrell falling to the second round...
Behanan was 21st and Blackshear 36th on the 2011 Rivals list. For comparison, LPT's 2011 recruits were rated 2nd (Davis), 3rd (MKG), and 5th (Teague). Wiltjer, who couldn't get playing time at LPT, was rated 22nd--one spot behind U of L's best recruit in that class--and ultimately transferred.

Russ Smith wasn't in the 2010 Rivals Top 150, and Harrell was rated 82nd in 2012. Guys rated that low out of high school are fortunate getting drafted at all.

I hate pointing out obvious stuff to LPT fans all the time. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT