ADVERTISEMENT

YOU are the AD...

Its literally as if Jurich did absolutely everything possible to ensure that Petrino couldn't be fired unless it was for cause. And he did all of this for a coach that had little to no coaching options, hadn't been away from the game long enough to lose the stink of hiring him and hadn't been successful enough to tempt a major program to go after him. Made absolutely zero sense to handcuff the University for absolutely no reason. That contract is so bad and made so little sense that it makes me actually think there's some shady reasoning behind it happening.
That's a bit of revisionist thinking. Two years ago Petrino had UofL in the top 4 for the playoffs late into the year - you really think that no other university would have hired him following that - late season collapse or not. That is completely contrary to the real world - hell those idiots in lexington are worried that they are going to lose stupes - he of the 6 year plan to mediocrity - to some blue blood school based upon the fact that they might win nine games this year.

It's only really now that we consider Petrino's options to be limited - and I agree the way that he's trending, they are. That was not the case when TJ did this contract. The suspicion of something "shady" is really tin foil hat stuff.

Reactions: zipp
Its literally as if Jurich did absolutely everything possible to ensure that Petrino couldn't be fired unless it was for cause. And he did all of this for a coach that had little to no coaching options, hadn't been away from the game long enough to lose the stink of hiring him and hadn't been successful enough to tempt a major program to go after him. Made absolutely zero sense to handcuff the University for absolutely no reason. That contract is so bad and made so little sense that it makes me actually think there's some shady reasoning behind it happening.
FACT: Petrino's buyout is HALF of Mack's and Brohm's.

FACT: All of Mack's and Brohm's future salaries are 100% guaranteed. About two-thirds of Petrino's is guaranteed.

FACT: When Petrino's current contract was signed, no one questioned the wisdom of extending it.

Helps to know the FACTS when basing your arguments...

Mack and Brohm are hot commodities, Petrino definitely isn’t.

Petrino was at the time of the contract.

FACT: All of Mack's and Brohm's future salaries are 100% guaranteed. About two-thirds of Petrino's is guaranteed.

FACT: When Petrino's current contract was signed, no one questioned the wisdom of extending it.

Whoomp, there it is.

That's a bit of revisionist thinking. Two years ago Petrino had UofL in the top 4 for the playoffs late into the year - you really think that no other university would have hired him following that - late season collapse or not. That is completely contrary to the real world - hell those idiots in lexington are worried that they are going to lose stupes - he of the 6 year plan to mediocrity - to some blue blood school based upon the fact that they might win nine games this year.

It's only really now that we consider Petrino's options to be limited - and I agree the way that he's trending, they are. That was not the case when TJ did this contract. The suspicion of something "shady" is really tin foil hat stuff.

One point of clarification, the extension was done after the 2015-2016 season. That year we beat Texas A&M in MC bowl after starting the year 0-3.

One point of clarification, the extension was done after the 2015-2016 season. That year we beat Texas A&M in MC bowl after starting the year 0-3.

Right. At that time he gave a coach who was already making $3.5 million a year and who's contract already ran through 2021 and just went 17-9 and 10-6 in the ACC and finished 3rd in the division a raise and an extension. Less than 4 years removed from leaving Arkansas in disgrace. Absolutely out of nowhere. A tainted coach producing a solid but not amazing record.

The thing that I simply want to know is why Jurich would do it? Why put the school in that situation? Petrino's buyout was already $10 million and a number of clauses about him not being able to even look at other jobs. Why extend him and give him a raise based on decent results? There was absolutely no way in the world a major school was going to hire Bobby Petrino AND pay $10 million dollars for the honor to do so. I just don't understand why Jurich thought this needed to get done.

Right. At that time he gave a coach who was already making $3.5 million a year and who's contract already ran through 2021 and just went 17-9 and 10-6 in the ACC and finished 3rd in the division a raise and an extension. Less than 4 years removed from leaving Arkansas in disgrace. Absolutely out of nowhere. A tainted coach producing a solid but not amazing record.

The thing that I simply want to know is why Jurich would do it? Why put the school in that situation? Petrino's buyout was already $10 million and a number of clauses about him not being able to even look at other jobs. Why extend him and give him a raise based on decent results? There was absolutely no way in the world a major school was going to hire Bobby Petrino AND pay $10 million dollars for the honor to do so. I just don't understand why Jurich thought this needed to get done.
I guess TJ drew upon his vast experience of being a top 5 AD and decided that it did. Clearly he should have asked you...

I guess TJ drew upon his vast experience of being a top 5 AD and decided that it did. Clearly he should have asked you...

Would have saved us some money come December if he had.

Also, I mean you can defend and love everything Jurich did and not understand this. Its not like he didn't make mistakes. This was a confusing move and I would love to know some of the reasoning behind it. You can also support Bobby now and still be confused about the extension 2 years ago. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Point being, besides just explaining it away with "well, Jurich is a great AD so I'm sure he knew what he was doing." You can look at this instance critically about why it happened.

I guess that supposes that you're opinion on the subject would have been the same then, as it is now. No offense intended but, my guess is that you are (at least subconsciously) factoring in a few negatives that have occurred in the almost three years since it was done.

I guess that supposes that you're opinion on the subject would have been the same then, as it is now. No offense intended but, my guess is that you are (at least subconsciously) factoring in a few negatives that have occurred in the almost three years since it was done.

The last 2 years since it was signed is irrelevant. It doesn't change that looking at everything that was going on when it was signed, it was a very, very confusing move with little to no justification. The last 2 years have only magnified that.

Also, I mean you can defend and love everything Jurich did and not understand this. Its not like he didn't make mistakes. This was a confusing move and I would love to know some of the reasoning behind it. You can also support Bobby now and still be confused about the extension 2 years ago. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Point being, besides just explaining it away with "well, Jurich is a great AD so I'm sure he knew what he was doing." You can look at this instance critically about why it happened.
No he wasn’t, he was at WKU,and we’re the only school that would interview him.
His current contract started in 2016, two years after he left WKU. The details of that first U of L contract (2014) are irrelevant.

Again, no one questioned the wisdom of extending Petrino in 2016 nor the terms of his contract. It's 99% revisionist thinking now, which ain't worth much...

Pitino was the victim in that crime. Should we now punish victims?...

Not sure if he had a morality clause or not but if he did then I think his revealed actions with Sypher probably would’ve broken that clause. I did feel sorry for him about the attempted extortion though.

Here goes
Doc Holliday HC Marshall
Marl Hudspeth TE coach Mississippi State
Hugh Freeze Former HC Ole Miss ( I know he has baggage, but he can coach)
Major Applewhite HC University of Houston

No one? Is that really a fact?

Agree with your post . What your AD needs to do is like we did with Tubby. Work behind the scenes to find him another job elsewhere to at least lessen the buyout if not erase it completely .
Peace
Zipp if you have a slapdick agreeing with you then you need to concede the argument and admit you are wrong.

I love how everyone on this board just assumes Brohm would come running to Louisville if they came calling. Why in the world would he leave a situation where he's recruiting at a top 25 level, the administration is willing to pay him, he's close to home, he doesn't have to compete with Clemson to win the ACC Atlantic, the school is investing in facilities, he's in a better conference, and he doesn't have to go thru another rebuild? How would Louisville be a better situation other than family ties and alma mater. He's probably not gonna win a NC at either school. So why?

Reactions: jcg_94
I love how everyone on this board just assumes Brohm would come running to Louisville if they came calling. Why in the world would he leave a situation where he's recruiting at a top 25 level, the administration is willing to pay him, he's close to home, he doesn't have to compete with Clemson to win the ACC Atlantic, the school is investing in facilities, he's in a better conference, and he doesn't have to go thru another rebuild? How would Louisville be a better situation other than family ties and alma mater. He's probably not gonna win a NC at either school. So why?

Because he has let people in the know that he would come back home.

He'll never win the Big10 at Purdue, but he could and will win the ACC.

Sorry Charlie , but Cards have already been there as far as getting multiple coaches poached. Thats the way it works.

Reactions: BPGhost
He would recruit at a higher level at UofL, he would get paid more here, he’d BE home, he’s not afraid of Clemson, UofL’s facilities are far superior, he’d be in a better conference with the ACC, UofL is not a total rebuild and Purdue still is, Louisville is vastly superior to west lafayette and all of his family and friends are here.

And you’re asking “why”. Lol.

Let me pose a little story to you...lets say that Drew Brees grew up in W Lafayette. And all of Drew Brees' family did as well. So did Drew Brees' parents. Lets then say that Drew's dad played for Purdue and as well as his two brothers in addition to Drew himself. And then as he is starting his coaching career accent he works as an assistant at Purdue. Lets then say by all accounts he and his family are still close and still very much tied to W Lafayette. Lets then say he finally gets a P5 job at Louisville and brings along his two brothers to Louisville who are football alums of Purdue. In the midst of that the Purdue job comes open. Do you not think Drew Brees would entertain the Purdue job?

Reactions: earsky

Sorry Charlie , but Cards have already been there as far as getting multiple coaches poached. Thats the way it works.

Eh. He’d have an easier route at Purdue.
The Big Ten West is the least talented division in P5 football. He could recruit at a Top 30 level and still have perhaps the most talented class in the division.
Look at Wisconsin. They don’t recruit at an elite level, and yet last year they only played one team in the regular season that outrecruited them. Why? Because all of the Big Ten West recruits like crap, and they missed Penn State and Ohio State during the season. So they just had to beat a down Michigan and upset Ohio State.

In the ACC Atlantic, he’d have to upset two teams that recruit at a Top 10 level, just to win the division. And going forward will probably be meeting a Miami team whose recruiting classes will average out to about a Top 10 level.
It’s a far more difficult road in the ACC Atlantic than Big Ten West.

Let me pose a little story to you...lets say that Drew Brees grew up in W Lafayette. And all of Drew Brees' family did as well. So did Drew Brees' parents. Lets then say that Drew's dad played for Purdue and as well as his two brothers in addition to Drew himself. And then as he is starting his coaching career accent he works as an assistant at Purdue. Lets then say by all accounts he and his family are still close and still very much tied to W Lafayette. Lets then say he finally gets a P5 job at Louisville and brings along his two brothers to Louisville who are football alums of Purdue. In the midst of that the Purdue job comes open. Do you not think Drew Brees would entertain the Purdue job?
Officially adding Drew Brees’ name to the list of options to replace Petrino!

He could win the B10 at Purdue being in the west division (or at least make it to the B1G Championship). Not sure how you could argue that.

He would recruit at a higher level at UofL, he would get paid more here, he’d BE home, he’s not afraid of Clemson, UofL’s facilities are far superior, he’d be in a better conference with the ACC, UofL is not a total rebuild and Purdue still is, Louisville is vastly superior to west lafayette and all of his family and friends are here.

And you’re asking “why”. Lol.

Debatable on the recruiting at a higher level there, the pay right now between Purdue and Louisville is comparable, the facilities won’t be far superior for much longer, and Purdue is already well into the rebuild. I’ll give you the family/friends and the fact he played there and is from there though.

I'm a longtime U of L fan who tries to look at our issues objectively, and I agree with much of that. U of L athletics administration and the school's financial situation are dumpster fires at the moment. And if I was Jeff's adviser, I'd at least tell him not to be in a hurry. He's relatively young, and the U of L job will always be here--hopefully, with more stability around it in the future...

...he would get paid more here...
I don't think that's right. In fact, that would be a big issue to getting Brohm now. It would probably take $5 million a year on top of Petrino's buyout. U of L bank accounts are dry...

I'm a longtime U of L fan who tries to look at our issues objectively, and I agree with much of that. U of L athletics administration and the school's financial situation are dumpster fires at the moment. And if I was Jeff's adviser, I'd at least tell him not to be in a hurry. He's relatively young, and the U of L job will always be here--hopefully, with more stability around it in the future...

This. Him going to UL in general wouldn’t surprise me. But going now with the current state of things? That would surprise me.

Debatable on the recruiting at a higher level there, the pay right now between Purdue and Louisville is comparable, the facilities won’t be far superior for much longer, and Purdue is already well into the rebuild. I’ll give you the family/friends and the fact he played there and is from there though.
Louisville recruiting ranking for the last 5 years is 32nd - not exactly sure where Purdue’s is because Rivals only listed the top 50 programs. So, not really a debate there. UofL’s has a track record on paying coaches that Purdue can’t match, you might think (wish / hope) that Purdue can come close to having comparable facilities in the future but here in the present, it’s not even close. Louisville is 2 years removed from being listed as top 4 for the CFP - so it’s not a total rebuild like Purdue still is. Like Kerry said, it’s unfortunate for you guys but, that doesn’t change the facts.

Hell, you can take Petrino - he’s a lot better than who you’d probably get to replace Brohm.

Dislike

Louisville recruiting ranking for the last 5 years is 32nd - not exactly sure where Purdue’s is because Rivals only listed the top 50 programs. So, not really a debate there. UofL’s has a track record on paying coaches that Purdue can’t match, you might think (wish / hope) that Purdue can come close to having comparable facilities in the future but here in the present, it’s not even close. Louisville is 2 years removed from being listed as top 4 for the CFP - so it’s not a total rebuild like Purdue still is. Like Kerry said, it’s unfortunate for you guys but, that doesn’t change the facts.

Hell, you can take Petrino - he’s a lot better than who you’d probably get to replace Brohm.

Of course the last 5 years recruiting for Purdue isn’t good because it included the terrible tenure of Darrell Hazell. Not sure why that’d be held against Brohm as he wasn’t part of that.

I don't think that's right. In fact, that would be a big issue to getting Brohm now. It would probably take $5 million a year on top of Petrino's buyout. U of L bank accounts are dry...
You’re right of course - I mean (again) the list of things the university has wanted to do athletically but couldn’t due to not having / finding the money is staggeringly long. :rolleyes:

Purdue has a very stable administration and a superb president (Mitch Daniels) and is a premier engineering school with a long history of big boy football. But the U of L job will not always be here. Timing is everything. You don’t know when the opportunity will present itself again. If Jeff ever wants to coach his alma mater, he needs to pay attention to what’s happening here. I’m sure there are people in his ear about U of L. We will see what happens, as thePresident likes to say.

Of course the last 5 years recruiting for Purdue isn’t good because it included the terrible tenure of Darrell Hazell. Not sure why that’d be held against Brohm as he wasn’t part of that.
Who’s holding that against JB? I’m pointing out historical evidence why he would be able to recruit better at UofL than purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT