ADVERTISEMENT

Why would SS recruit this kid?

I can't see any upside to this player or why he should get a scholarship.

5'10 175 lb athlete?
According to 247Sports, he has a verified 10.94 100 meter time. So...my guess is he was offered for his speed. For size comparison, Tutu Atwell is currently listed at 5'9", 165 lbs. for the Rams. He also has an offer from Tennessee per Rivals.

Undersized for WR, RB and CB. I hope he proves me wrong, but IMO this is part of the recruiting issue we are having with being undersized at a lot of positions.

Under the radar recruits are one thing, but it seems like they are recruiting ASU talent in a P5 conference.

Metrics are one thing, but I'd have to see film. A three star from Georgia is like a 4 or 5 star from Kentucky. Plus, it could be about keeping the Georgia pipeline open.
That used to be the case, but it's not the whole story. We aren't deep with recruits here, but we produce some good talent at the top.

He's a 3 star in Georgia because he's been evaluated better. The deep south has more eyeballs on their games and they have greater access to camps and scouts. Now star ratings aren't the Gospel and I believe a 3 star athlete is capable of playing anywhere and can make a jump when better. But, down there where football is crazy, they can see him a lot more against better talent and see where he stands.

The whole 4 or 5 star from Kentucky thing used to be more true, but it's more about the guys here just not camping as much and not being on the field with multiple college coaches and scouts every single game. Football isn't religion here. Guys here can be way overrated or way underrated, you just never know.

Damion Harris & Jedrick Wills both went to Bama as 5 stars and they both became top draft picks. James Quick was a 4-star and he got a look in the NFL, seems right. Kyle Bolin was a 4 star, but he clearly was not a 4 star player. Antonio Andrews from Ft. Campbell was highly underrated as a Mr. Football, went to WKU and did well and made it to the NFL. All of those big in-state highly rated line recruits sUcKs has gotten have done very well, along with Cole Bentley & Bryan Hudson. Rondale Moore and Wan'dale Robinson have been pretty good. Sure wish we had JJ Weaver. Desmond Riddler was sure overlooked. Bush & Brohm were rated pretty nicely and Hunter Cantwell wasn't even on a radar and was pretty dang good. Urritia, DeVante Parker, Heyman,

Now we don't have as many good recruits in the state or city as other, but I think we just act like the top recruits here are always busts. There are busts as 4 and 5 stars in every state, even Georgia and Florida. We have good recruits in our own backyard and we need to get back to getting those guys. Bobby had Lamar and the nation watching, but during that time somehow lost recruits in our own freaking city.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
It is more about evaluating players than it’s about stars. The really good coaches are very good about identifying talent.

I think they have done a pretty good job building the roster. Hard to argue his ability to recruit to the offense. The question is on defense. I think that is where they misevaluated. The talent/size/speed on the DL just isn’t where it needs to be.

It has been disappointing how they trending with recruiting Jefferson County. UK is getting who they want even if none of them are major contributors. With that said the kids from Jeff that came to Louisville are major contributors now and in future.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
It is more about evaluating players than it’s about stars. The really good coaches are very good about identifying talent.

I think they have done a pretty good job building the roster. Hard to argue his ability to recruit to the offense. The question is on defense. I think that is where they misevaluated. The talent/size/speed on the DL just isn’t where it needs to be.

It has been disappointing how they trending with recruiting Jefferson County. UK is getting who they want even if none of them are major contributors. With that said the kids from Jeff that came to Louisville are major contributors now and in future.
Where did they misevaluate though? 2020 & 2021 are his only classes of talent. I mean are 1st and 2nd year players really the sign that he can't evaluate defensive talent are supposed to turn it around in 1.5 years?

And on offense, that's to be determined. Malik was not his recruit. Hassan Hall was not his recruit. Tutu, Dez, and Hawkins weren't his recruits. Mitchell, Watkins, and Bruce look solid and Ford, but lets see how it all looks once he has a QB he recruited running the offense. Now it could be better, as the offensive line looks solid, but we just don't know that yet because it's only year 2 of his actual recruits on the roster.

Reactions: rh62531
Some of it is population, like FL or TX, but Douglas in GA is a little like Boyle Co KY …..it has a strong reputation for quality HS football and fundamental coaching that produces some quality talent.

We can all identify individual talent here in Jefferson Co like a JJ Weaver or DeVantae Parker who are quickly identified as stud D1 athletes while still in HS; but conversely the number of D1 college football players in GA dwarfs KY.

With that said, SS needs to demonstrate his ability to recruit at a higher level than what we have seen thus far; so far he has relied primarily on Petrino recruits, transfers and walk-ons earning scholarships.

Undersized for WR, RB and CB. I hope he proves me wrong, but IMO this is part of the recruiting issue we are having with being undersized at a lot of positions.

Under the radar recruits are one thing, but it seems like they are recruiting ASU talent in a P5 conference.
Did Atwell and Hawkins both not just kill it here? Both were undersized but really quick and used it kill it here.

Reactions: PHCARD
Where did they misevaluate though? 2020 & 2021 are his only classes of talent. I mean are 1st and 2nd year players really the sign that he can't evaluate defensive talent are supposed to turn it around in 1.5 years?

And on offense, that's to be determined. Malik was not his recruit. Hassan Hall was not his recruit. Tutu, Dez, and Hawkins weren't his recruits. Mitchell, Watkins, and Bruce look solid and Ford, but lets see how it all looks once he has a QB he recruited running the offense. Now it could be better, as the offensive line looks solid, but we just don't know that yet because it's only year 2 of his actual recruits on the roster.
The offensive numbers support he knows what he is doing on that side of the ball. They have been very consistent. His players or Petrino players they had been good. They did a good job recruiting the Oline, RB and WR. QB recruiting is a legit concern. Malik development has been good

I agree the defense will take time. It was depleted. The concern is the defense should of been better this year. Granted they started with 4 really good offenses. I think they thought they could go smaller/quicker on the DLine. They made a adjustment in last years class. Year 4 was always the year I thought the defense would start being established.

Reactions: Mayoman
So you know nothing about the kid and you're just questioning him on size ? There's a lot of guys similar in size playing on Sundays. Besides he's young he can still grow. C'mon Man..
I think there are those amongst our fanbase that just want to be critical of Coach SS. Oh well.

GO CARDS!!!

I think there are those amongst our fanbase that just want to be critical of Coach SS. Oh well.

GO CARDS!!!
I don't see anything wrong with being critical of a coach. I just keep seeing recruits that have no offers from D1 schools which makes me question the quality of recruit he is going after.

I hope we are successful, but I still see no harm in discussing things whether they are positive or negative.

So you know nothing about the kid and you're just questioning him on size ? There's a lot of guys similar in size playing on Sundays. Besides he's young he can still grow. C'mon Man..
There are 9 players that came up when I searched for players under 5'10 in the NFL.

He is listed as an athlete, which to me suggests he has not stood out in any skilled position. The only two spots he could play IMO is WR and RB. Part of our issue on defense is our CBs have trouble covering taller WRs because they are undersized.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see the harm in questioning it.

Spot: this is college and not the NFL. Size matters more in the NFL than it does in college, but look no further than Tutu for answering your question about why SS is pursing a small but fast athlete out of GA.

There are 9 players that came up when I searched for players under 5'10 in the NFL.

He is listed as an athlete, which to me suggests he has not stood out in any skilled position. The only two spots he could play IMO is WR and RB. Part of our issue on defense is our CBs have trouble covering taller WRs because they are undersized.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see the harm in questioning it.
Or being list as an ATH more likely means his team uses him at both RB and WR so he could be used as a speedy back or WR in college. He is being recruited for offense fwiw.

There are more than 9 guys under 5’10” in the NFL. Player heights are inflated half the time.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
With skilled positions size isn’t as important as legit speed-quickness. Along the lines, size and quickness are more important than speed.

I think we have some really good freshmen on this team who are playing a lot. If everyone stays together and comes back next year we could have a really good season.

It is very clear their are some young guys that can play on both sides of the ball. The defense was very good tonight. The defense has played some really good offenses that have experienced fronts and QB’s. They were going to struggle at times.

I feel really good if the can add a few pieces about the next 2-3 years. Transfer portal will be a challenge.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT