ADVERTISEMENT

Syd

David Gilmour

One-Star Poster
Dec 19, 2016
As I watched last night's Grand Canyon game, I couldn't help but watch Sydney Curry on the bench. A kid I had had so much hope for a few years back. A kid I had seen go through a span (short as it was) where nobody in the league could stop him. A kid who coming into the next year,we could actually build around.
Fast forward to last night. A kid who sat on the bench the entire game with no expression. No interaction. No cheering. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for the kid or his teammates as he seemed he wanted no part of any of the action.
I went back and looked at his season stats. What I saw was promise that he was getting it together. What I also saw was that right after Christmas his minutes diminished drastically. I thought is the guy hurt? Or has he just checked out and the coaches have given up on him. Is he just now a situational at best player?
I guess what intrigues me about the kid is I thought what I saw a few years back was an ultra talented kid with some deficiencies,but nevertheless a stud in the making. Now I see nothing more than a ghost. I wish I knew the real inside story on the kid. There's something that's definitely going on inside that kid.

As I watched last night's Grand Canyon game, I couldn't help but watch Sydney Curry on the bench. A kid I had had so much hope for a few years back. A kid I had seen go through a span (short as it was) where nobody in the league could stop him. A kid who coming into the next year,we could actually build around.
Fast forward to last night. A kid who sat on the bench the entire game with no expression. No interaction. No cheering. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for the kid or his teammates as he seemed he wanted no part of any of the action.
I went back and looked at his season stats. What I saw was promise that he was getting it together. What I also saw was that right after Christmas his minutes diminished drastically. I thought is the guy hurt? Or has he just checked out and the coaches have given up on him. Is he just now a situational at best player?
I guess what intrigues me about the kid is I thought what I saw a few years back was an ultra talented kid with some deficiencies,but nevertheless a stud in the making. Now I see nothing more than a ghost. I wish I knew the real inside story on the kid. There's something that's definitely going on inside that kid.
Me too. I remember talking with him at a baseball game when he had really been getting in shape. I wish him the best.

He’s on a 29-4 team this year. Undoubtedly the only player on last year’s UofL team to have a winning record over the last two years!

Syd is a strange case. Played his best and looked like a beast under Pegues only to look like a shadow of that under Payne. Thought going out west would be good for him but apparently it wasn't.

Syd is a strange case. Played his best and looked like a beast under Pegues only to look like a shadow of that under Payne. Thought going out west would be good for him but apparently it wasn't.
To me, there's gotta be something mental/psychological going on with the kid and most of these coaches don't want to have to deal with it. Or the time to deal with it. I know one thing. If I had his body and talent, somehow I'm putting my ass in the league. If he just had a mentor of some sort to lead the way, it would be possible. Maybe he's just unreachable. All I know is what I saw he could do in that one span of play. No ACC big could do anything with him down low. He has that in him.

Check out the band Classicstone at AROTR sometime. They're from Columbia, and they do a killer Pink Floyd set every Memorial Day weekend.

Not to be outdone, their Queen set is outstanding as well. Great talent here once a year…

Reactions: earsky
Instead of creating a new thread about Syd and/or GCU,I'll just pic off this one. First, Syd again seeing no time whatsoever last night.I did see him get up once for a high 5. Lol. Second,after watching a few GCU games,it's evident why Syd sits the pine. They have some battlers down low. Syd just may not be able to play that hard. Which brings me to my main point here. GCU. Watch this team. They're pretty damn good. They have length,size,talent and are well coached. Would not surprise me to see this team make a F4 type run.Maybe this Drew should be on our radar as well.

Reactions: Cap'n Jim and JTMPR
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT