ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be gone?

Feb 3, 2014
While I wish with all my heart that KP will soon be a new euphemism for program failure (like Kragthorpe), I have to prepare for the very real possibility that he will be given another year for reasons that have been discussed at length on this board. Many of those who feel that KP will be back like to project who will return, who we will get from the portal and how useful new recruits will help him rebuild the program and how this will play out record-wise.

In my own season-tortured mind, I tend to look at this differently. I feel like it may be wiser to consider who, on the current team, has had enough and will be looking for better situations next year. Do ANY of our current players want to relive the nightmare that we’ve seen this year. Also, consider the lengthy (demanding?) practices that KP says happen on a daily basis. Has Sid had enough of the “What’s wrong with Sid?” conversations? Is Withers tired on the constant criticism that he plays below his potential? Is Fabio’s butt numb from sitting too much? Does BHH’s foot really hurt or is he already done. Would Wheeler like to leave but maybe doesn’t see a path out of here? Do Lands and JJ feel like they would have a better role at other schools. Does any player with remaining eligibility look at the guys who left last year and found much better success at their new homes? Do any of them recall Dre Davis’ words to KP when he said, in essence, “Coach, I wake up every morning and it’s Louisville.”

To me, option A for most players looks like the portal or maybe the G league. How could you finish a season 3-28 with a coach who is deeply unpopular with the fan base and whose seat is hotter than a blacksmith’s forge?

Using the same logic, how does any player in the portal look at Louisville and think…”Yeah…looks like the right place for me”.

If KP is kept, next year could very well be worse than this year. We may be using the same thinking that we used this year…what if we still had the players from last year’s team? Sorry for the apocalyptic mindset, but reality is really starting to take hold. I just don’t see any reason for hope if we stay the current course.

I'll give my 2 cents.

Ellis is gone for sure. I believe BHH is already gone although not technically. Withers will move on as will Curry. Wheeler will probably leave if any school wants him.

I think Lands and James may stay on if some top transfers choose the Cards. If not, they may bolt as well. I think both will be the most coveted Cards on the roster.

I think Traynor due to his Louisville roots, will stay on. As for Rhee and Basili, they're definitely gone if KP brings in some top transfer guards. The newcomer from Africa will return most likely as he just got here.

So we could end up having 90 percent of the roster not returning. I think most Cards fans wouldn't be too upset with that.

Personally, there's only a few players I would hate to lose. James, Lands and BHH. Like many, I'm ready to say so long to Withers. He's never going to change.

Only bring back energy guys and the players that have bought in KP.

Lands
James
JJ
Okafor
Ellis-if he doesn’t turn pro.
Williams-incoming
Davis-Incoming
Glynn-Incoming
NBA Africa Guard-rumored

That leaves 4 spots
1-Ball handling guard-WKU McKnight kind of guy. Maybe Sky Clark if he is an option but he has to be right mentally.
2-Shooting guard legit can’t leave guy. Flat can get a bucket kind of guy.
3-Churchill Abass-another Nigerian big.
4-Another big that plays physical and with energy.

They find the right mix of dudes that compete they will be fine.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card

Lands
James
JJ
Okafor
Williams-incoming
Davis-Incoming
Glynn-Incoming
NBA Africa Guard-rumored

That leaves 4 spots
1-Ball handling guard-WKU McKnight kind of guy. Maybe Sky Clark if he is an option but he has to be right mentally.

I agree with the people you have returning and coming in as recruits. They should be the ones who come back. I would also add BHH as someone who needs to as well, barring him going pro or transferring again.

Lands
James
JJ
Okafor
Williams-incoming
Davis-Incoming
Glynn-Incoming
NBA Africa Guard-rumored

That leaves 4 spots

I think you might have missed the gist of my post. “Bringing back” may not be a choice. I was saying who, on this current team, would even want to come back. In other words, the choice belongs to the players and not necessarily who KP wants to come back.

I agree with the people you have returning and coming in as recruits. They should be the ones who come back. I would also add BHH as someone who needs to as well, barring him going pro or transferring again.
My ideal scenario with what you said goes like this: McKnight (?) as a transfer PG, Ellis at the 2, James at the 3, Traynor at the 4 and BHH as a finesse 5
Skyy Clark (if he’s in the right place mentally) as the backup PG, a transfer scoring guard next to him, Lands at the 3, and Emmanuel as the backup 5
Glenn, Williams, Davis, and the guard and big (or two) who are rumored would almost surely be a better depth unit than what we have this year

My ideal scenario with what you said goes like this: McKnight (?) as a transfer PG, Ellis at the 2, James at the 3, Traynor at the 4 and BHH as a finesse 5
Skyy Clark (if he’s in the right place mentally) as the backup PG, a transfer scoring guard next to him, Lands at the 3, and Emmanuel as the backup 5
Glenn, Williams, Davis, and the guard and big (or two) who are rumored would almost surely be a better depth unit than what we have this year
All this comes into play of course, if McKnight and Clark would even come here. Who knows

I'm interested to see who stays and who goes once the season is over. If the ones that have shown promise like Mike James return, it means they have bought in to Payne and really want to be here.

If there is a mass exodus of guys then I guess that says the opposite and they couldn't wait to leave.

I really don’t know how he can keep Withers, Curry, and Wheeler. All returnees that failed to buy in. Energy level is still an issue. Ellis is borderline. No real leaders in this group. Hard to tell if there is one or more cancers in this group. All I know is they don’t like playing together.

Okafor and JJ I believe they will be back.
James and Lands who knows. KP likes them and their attitudes so them leaving will not be good.

Fabio and Ree can’t see them staying. I think both will be good players down the road. Hard conversions with those 2.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Most of the fans will be gone. As for the players, all of themshould be gone. I've never seen such a bunch of lifeless lumps that don't care.

I like him, but hard to imagine any team starting Traynor at the 4 to compete at the high major level. He needs 30 lbs of muscle. He can’t defend any position on the court and his shot is very broken.

An ideal scenario that includes four of our current players in starters roles again? Seems a bit less than ideal to me. Yes we need a point guard, but we need a hell of a lot more than that in the starting lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT