ADVERTISEMENT

Where are all the Padgett pumpers now?

I called a 24-12 final record some time ago and did not even have Florida State & Syracuse penciled in as losses. It could be worse and there’s a chance we don’t make the NCAA tourney. This was a horrible loss.

Again, I really do like Padgett. But, he’s in waaay over his head!!!

He’s a grown man making $900,000 to take the heat. He’ll land a head coaching gig in the MAC, SunBelt or OVC because of the opportunity he got this season.

I like DP but I’m sick of those who think he deserves this job. I’ve said all along that is moronic to even consider. And, the Bob Valvano’s, Tim Brando’s and Fred Cowgill’s of the world are looking pretty silly right now.

I wish DP the best. But, this is a big-time job in the ACC.

Reactions: HRTheCard
He’s a grown man making $900,000 to take the heat. He’ll land a head coaching gig in the MAC, SunBelt or OVC because of the opportunity he got this season.

I like DP but I’m sick of those who think he deserves this job. I’ve said all along that is moronic to even consider. And, the Bob Valvano’s, Tim Brando’s and Fred Cowgill’s of the world are looking pretty silly right now.

I wish DP the best. But, this is a big-time job in the ACC.

Weird how King Zipp is non-existent.

I am not going to be critical of Coach Padgett. The talk about the next coach is worthless because no decision will be made until the end of the season. He is doing everything he can to win games. My only question I would ask is why does he stick to man to man defense? They are significantly challenged in stopping guys from getting into the lane. They get bailed out by the bigs blocking shots. This team is actually built to be a good zone team.

The reality is this is not a good team. Good teams don't lose at home against average opponents. Back to back games with really bad effort. That is on the players. They aren't paying attention to scouting reports and their not doing the little things to win games. Late in the game they give up yet another offensive rebound. Down 4 the next 3 possessions they take 2 awful shots and turn the ball over. They play reckless and with no go to guy.

I am not going to be critical of Coach Padgett. The talk about the next coach is worthless because no decision will be made until the end of the season. He is doing everything he can to win games. My only question I would ask is why does he stick to man to man defense? They are significantly challenged in stopping guys from getting into the lane. They get bailed out by the bigs blocking shots. This team is actually built to be a good zone team.

The reality is this is not a good team. Good teams don't lose at home against average opponents. Back to back games with really bad effort. That is on the players. They aren't paying attention to scouting reports and their not doing the little things to win games. Late in the game they give up yet another offensive rebound. Down 4 the next 3 possessions they take 2 awful shots and turn the ball over. They play reckless and with no go to guy.

Ray Spalding, the double double machine, says otherwise.

You aren't a good to guy if other won't give you the ball. That is the whole point. They don't even know to go to Spalding.

Cards aren't going to beat anybody when Adel and Snider combine for 3-17. Those guys are probably ready to just move on.

Lots of season left but things don't look too promising!

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I don’t think Padgett should get the permanent gig, but to bash him is pretty weak. He was thrust into an incredibly tough situation. If you want to bash someone, bash Pitino and Fair.
You people have to get over the bitching about pitino - it’s done. He’s not coaching this team and Padgett is. Now criticizing a D1 coach making 900K is “weak”? Nobody’s bashing him personally - nobody’s pulling against him or the team - people are simply saying he’s not up to this job.

Of course he was put in a tough spot - because it is a spot he’s not ready for. On the flip side he got a 700K raise, the keys to a top 10 program and got an (undeserved) audition for the permanent gig. I’d say there aren’t too many things to feel bad for him about.

You people have to get over the bitching about pitino - it’s done. He’s not coaching this team and Padgett is. Now criticizing a D1 coach making 900K is “weak”? Nobody’s bashing him personally - nobody’s pulling against him or the team - people are simply saying he’s not up to this job.

Of course he was put in a tough spot - because it is a spot he’s not ready for. On the flip side he got a 700K raise, the keys to a top 10 program and got an (undeserved) audition for the permanent gig. I’d say there aren’t too many things to feel bad for him about.

I used to enjoy your posts but lately you’ve become irascible like Zipp. I’ll bitch about Pitino as long as I like. And apparently there were a lot of other folks who felt the original posts were more a bash of Padgett. When someone is thrust into a situation they aren’t prepared for, I feel some level of empathy for them regardless of how much money they are making. I’m guessing the money is very unimportant to him right now.

Reactions: nccardfan
I used to enjoy your posts but lately you’ve become irascible like Zipp. I’ll bitch about Pitino as long as I like. And apparently there were a lot of other folks who felt the original posts were more a bash of Padgett. When someone is thrust into a situation they aren’t prepared for, I feel some level of empathy for them regardless of how much money they are making. I’m guessing the money is very unimportant to him right now.
It’s funny how a difference of opinion can cause that. You do what you want KH - I’m just saying blaming pitino is yesterday’s news.

Funny thing is - Padgett could’ve said no when asked. I’m sure part of the reason he didn’t was because he is loyal to the program and the kids and that’s awesome. But if you don’t think all of the other reasons I listed in the other post weren’t a big part of the decision, well I’m not sure what to tell you.

Best part of it is that win, lose or draw - David Padgett is going to be just fine. Not only that - he’ll be a lot better for the experience and he knows that.

It’s why he said yes.

“Irascible” - lulz...

Jesus Criminy Guys, Tyus Battle was a man among boys tonight and the difference in the game. DP is learning on the job in the ACC. What a shocker!

Not a good night or stretch but we are still tied in Conference with the defending National Champions.

Please ask Ray who has helped him become more aggressive?

Oh so we're not going to remember Pitino raving over Spalding this entire summer?

What about Mahmoud, Padgett's true position? Why is Mahmoud still constantly getting driven by? Why is he constantly out of position?

All Im saying is Padgett isn't the coach for the future and there's not much of anything you can argue against that for a school like Louisville.

Reactions: BPGhost
Padgett is a great choice for the future. He took over a nice team with a titanic PR mess made by the previous coach, AD and president. And he will be intelligent enough not to make the team sit out the post season.

Jesus Criminy Guys, Tyus Battle was a man among boys tonight and the difference in the game. DP is learning on the job in the ACC. What a shocker!

Not a good night or stretch but we are still tied in Conference with the defending National Champions.
I think there are some guys who struggle defensively when their offense does. The youngsters just keep playing. Time for team meeting.

Yep. Told ya so. This team is 20-4 or 21-3 with a good coach.

Padgett is not the answer. End of story.

Do you feel better. I guess you would rather be right then have him succeed and have the team win.

You do know the last time we had a 3 game skid was in 2013.

I support DP and I’ve always said it’s an entire season of work not just a snap shot of a winning streak or losing streak.

Oh by the way when we end up with the permanent head coach and he very may have a bad stretch or even season. No guarantees. Denny Crum nor RP are walking on the court. Or any coach of that caliber.

And that’s awesome. Means that he was doing a good job as an assistant coach.
Ghost - as many bitchers do, you can always find something or someone to complain about but seldom do you offer a better solution. I’m not happy about the recent outcomes but I still do enjoy Louisville basketball. Maybe you should try it. It sucks being miserable all the time.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Yep. Told ya so. This team is 20-4 or 21-3 with a good coach.

Padgett is not the answer. End of story.

"Padgett pumpers?" "Told ya so?" WTF is this sh!t? If there is anyone who didn't want Padgett to succeed, then turn in your fan card. And, what "good coach" was available to coach this team two days before practice started? DP was never going to be the long term answer. But, to play this "told ya so" game is BS.

Oh so we're not going to remember Pitino raving over Spalding this entire summer?

What about Mahmoud, Padgett's true position? Why is Mahmoud still constantly getting driven by? Why is he constantly out of position?

All Im saying is Padgett isn't the coach for the future and there's not much of anything you can argue against that for a school like Louisville.
Pitino raves about everyone at some point. Remember Mike Marra, greatest shooter since Reggie Miller. Pitino had Spaulding and Mahmoud both and I can’t tell you how many posters called both of them lazy and soft. Well Mahmoud is still soft but he does have a baby hook that he didn’t have before. Spaulding is trying to dunk some of the time instead of finger rolls all the time. Ghost wants you to believe that CRP is secretly coaching them from scype or that Greg Paulus is coaching them up.

Ghost - as many bitchers do, you can always find something or someone to complain about but seldom do you offer a better solution. I’m not happy about the recent outcomes but I still do enjoy Louisville basketball. Maybe you should try it. It sucks being miserable all the time.
Lol - this is the response I get when I was agreeing with you. You're so invested in your opinion and being irritated by anyone who doesn't share it, you've lost the ability to determine when someone is sharing common ground with you. This latest post and the nonsense contained in it is proof positive. Let me break my position down for you to hopefully eliminate your ongoing confusion about it.

1. I enjoy Louisville basketball. I pull for them to win every game and that means that I am pulling for David Padgett to be successful and win right along with them. Same goes for every UofL sport.

2. As much as I'm able without knowing the guy personally, I like David Padgett. As I've said NUMEROUS times - he seems like a really good guy, he stepped up into a tough spot this year and, I think that he will be an excellent coach at some point if he wants to make it his career. That said, I just don't believe that he is qualified AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER - to be seriously considered as a top choice for a school with the tradition and all of the other historical and current intangibles like UofL. I'm not sure why you take such personal offense to what is seems to be a fairly legitimate opinion based upon facts. If David Padgett is hired as the permanent coach - depending on the circumstances I won't likely agree with the decision but, I will support him completely.

3. I am not miserable in the slightest. While I'm a sports fan, and a fan of UofL sports in particular, and I enjoy discussing sports in person and on this board, I do not live and die with them. They are a wonderful diversion and it's awesome when the teams that you like are doing well but, that's all that they are. Does that mean that I don't have opinions on how I think those teams could do better? Of course not but at the end of the day - my life is great and not positively or adversely affected by the numbers on a scoreboard.

4. I have offered what I believe to be better solutions to literally everything that I've taken issue with. That you don't agree with those solutions doesn't negate that they've been made. I've read your posts for a couple of years now - If I'm a "bitcher", you might want to take a hard look in the mirror and stop pointing the finger, and start pointing the thumb. I like your take on things and rarely have we disagreed but, you really have become a big baby on this topic.

Hope that clears things up...

Lol - this is the response I get when I was agreeing with you. You're so invested in your opinion and being irritated by anyone who doesn't share it, you've lost the ability to determine when someone is sharing common ground with you. This latest post and the nonsense contained in it is proof positive. Let me break my position down for you to hopefully eliminate your ongoing confusion about it.

1. I enjoy Louisville basketball. I pull for them to win every game and that means that I am pulling for David Padgett to be successful and win right along with them. Same goes for every UofL sport.

2. As much as I'm able without knowing the guy personally, I like David Padgett. As I've said NUMEROUS times - he seems like a really good guy, he stepped up into a tough spot this year and, I think that he will be an excellent coach at some point if he wants to make it his career. That said, I just don't believe that he is qualified AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER - to be seriously considered as a top choice for a school with the tradition and all of the other historical and current intangibles like UofL. I'm not sure why you take such personal offense to what is seems to be a fairly legitimate opinion based upon facts. If David Padgett is hired as the permanent coach - depending on the circumstances I won't likely agree with the decision but, I will support him completely.

3. I am not miserable in the slightest. While I'm a sports fan, and a fan of UofL sports in particular, and I enjoy discussing sports in person and on this board, I do not live and die with them. They are a wonderful diversion and it's awesome when the teams that you like are doing well but, that's all that they are. Does that mean that I don't have opinions on how I think those teams could do better? Of course not but at the end of the day - my life is great and not positively or adversely affected by the numbers on a scoreboard.

4. I have offered what I believe to be better solutions to literally everything that I've taken issue with. That you don't agree with those solutions doesn't negate that they've been made. I've read your posts for a couple of years now - If I'm a "bitcher", you might want to take a hard look in the mirror and stop pointing the finger, and start pointing the thumb. I like your take on things and rarely have we disagreed but, you really have become a big baby on this topic.

Hope that clears things up...
Agreeing with me about what? I think CDP deserves a chance, you don’t. Irritated by someone who doesn’t share it. You and others just regurgitate the same thing over and over, he doesn’t deserve, he’s not qualified. I’m not sure being a good guy was ever one of my qualifications, although honest and loyal are two redeeming qualities. In this regard we don’t know if there is anyone better? Do you honestly know the character of any of these coaches you claim to want? Oh by the way, now you are saying you want someone a little better than Mack?

You’re happy? That’s good because most of your posts are clamoring for a new football coach or complaining about someone who’s not qualified; Nick Petrino, David Padgett, Pete Sirmon...

Don’t agree and fully support in the same sentence doesn’t make sense.
One thing I will agree on is I do like your take on most things...

Coach DP doesn't turn the ball over, he doesn't miss free throws, he can't make decisions for them. If he plays them through mistakes, people say he needs to take them out. When he does just that and plays the younger guys; he is wrong for doing that. He's in a no win situation. I truly think he is doing the best he can. But he needs help from the players to not make dumb mistakes and decisions. We seem to have some that want to play hero ball and not team ball.

Agreeing with me about what? I think CDP deserves a chance, you don’t. Irritated by someone who doesn’t share it. You and others just regurgitate the same thing over and over, he doesn’t deserve, he’s not qualified. I’m not sure being a good guy was ever one of my qualifications, although honest and loyal are two redeeming qualities. In this regard we don’t know if there is anyone better? Do you honestly know the character of any of these coaches you claim to want? Oh by the way, now you are saying you want someone a little better than Mack?

You’re happy? That’s good because most of your posts are clamoring for a new football coach or complaining about someone who’s not qualified; Nick Petrino, David Padgett, Pete Sirmon...

Don’t agree and fully support in the same sentence doesn’t make sense.
One thing I will agree on is I do like your take on most things...
I was agreeing with you that Padgett seems to have done a good job coaching Ray up while he has been on the staff.

There's a whole lot of regurgitating going on by both sides of the conversation - at this point there's not much else fans can do until those in charge decide what's going to happen.

I think that Padgett seemingly being a good guy, honest and loyal are clearly fantastic qualities and will serve him well for the rest of his life. That said, I'm sure that we could ascribe the same sort of qualities to kragthorpe but at the end of the day, he wasn't qualified for the position he was put in either. Now before you get upset and say that I'm comparing Padgett to kragthorpe - from a coaching perspective I'm not. Unfortunately for where he is in his coaching career, those qualities are probably the most compelling reason to hire Padgett and I'm simply saying that at UofL - they are not enough. Any coach considered IMO needs to be a proven winner - UofL is not some mid-major who needs to take a chance on a retread or unproven commodity.

Of course I want someone better than Mack because I think that there are better coaches out there and I want them here. Does that mean it will happen? Of course not but I want the administration to think big because thinking small never got anyone anywhere.

I'm not clamoring for a new football coach. I'm expressing the opinion that I - like the majority of UofL fans - expected Bobby 2.0 to be more like Bobby 1.0 and am somewhat disappointed that he wasn't able to utilize the best player in college the last two years to win more football games. Though I'm not going back through the previous threads - I'm pretty sure that you have echoed some of the complaints about Nick Petrino's position on the staff. I was suspect of trading sirmon for Grantham and that suspicion was borne out by the results. If you notice, I've not said anything about Van Gorder because I suspect he is an upgrade from sirmon but, I'm waiting to see what sort of results he produces.

Lastly - it's odd to me that you can't understand how supporting Padgett as the current HC and not believing that he is the right guy for the permanent job couldn't be mutually exclusive. As long as he is the coach, I will pull for him to be successful.

"Padgett pumpers?" "Told ya so?" WTF is this sh!t? If there is anyone who didn't want Padgett to succeed, then turn in your fan card. And, what "good coach" was available to coach this team two days before practice started? DP was never going to be the long term answer. But, to play this "told ya so" game is BS.

If that's what you got of of my post then you simply misunderstood.

If you think I'm pulling for them to lose, then you're crazy. This is more or less of an argument in another thread where Zipp and others tried to claim that Padgett can coach and he should be hired.

These last two games have shown that he's simply not ready. There's no point in commenting on the rest of your paragraph if you get that ^.

The fact that some want to hand over the keys to a top 10 program with a contract to a 32 year old who is unproven when you have a proven coach (Mack) and others that will be at the doorstep in April is what I simply don't understand.

The entire argument is that UofL is not the place to take a chance. It's not the place for a coach to audition. You audition at mid majors and move up. See Archie Miller, Chris Peterson, Marshall will move up eventually, etc. Unless you consider UofL a mid major, then idk how you all can possibly see that this is a good idea.

I think most here just want this team to do well...with the guidance of its young coach.Let the chips fall where they may after the season.For now,let's get behind them.

i still say give him a full two year contract.
Can’t recruit with a two-year deal. We’ll get a stud coach and sign him to a 4-7 year deal. I think Pitino got a seven-year deal at UK to clean up their mess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT