ADVERTISEMENT

What violation?

CardsFirst

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
According to the UNC ruling today did we really have any violations. Adidas paid Bowen’s parents. Per the investigation all UL coaches needed to do was provide a scholarship and get the player certified. Well we handout scholarships to both athletes and non athletes. So that’s not special treatment to an athlete. And we certify all athletes so that’s a procedure not a benefit. So given the UNC ruling by the NCAA what did we violate.....nothing according to the NCAA. Fight it tooth and nail!!

The one thing that is very clear the NCAA regulations are only about 1 thing....amateurism. They are not about getting an quality college education or the student athletes future. They are 100 percent about athlete not being compensated outside the scholarship. As long as you don't get caught paying players or providing financial benefits all is good. Louisville has somehow found a way to do this so poorly they got caught. On top of that they did it in a way they gained zero competitive advantage, or had player that allegedly benefit actually play for them. In fact the players that benefited played elsewhere.

To recap Louisville had to give up 1 postseason and probably another one down the road, cut scholarships, vacate wins, and vacate 2 final fours, a national title and PR nightmare in exchange for no player that actually played basketball for Louisville. On top of that two incredible leaders that ran clean programs for 30 years will lose their job and forever be called a cheater. At least in Blue Chips the coach and AD got the players.

The one thing on the Powell issue is the NCAA went outside of their bylaws on penalizing Louisville because of the repugnant nature of the incident. The NCAA I have no doubt, especially now, will uphold the penalties, but Louisville needs to take them to court. I believe they will win in part because the NCAA basically admitted they have to stay within their bylaws.

Last edited:
The one thing that is very clear the NCAA regulations are only about 1 thing....amateurism. They are not about getting an quality college education or the student athletes future. They are 100 percent about athlete not being compensated outside the scholarship. As long as you don't get caught paying players or providing financial benefits all is good. Louisville has somehow found a way to do this so poorly they got caught. On top of that they did it in a way they gained zero competitive advantage, or had player that allegedly benefit actually play for them. In fact the players that benefited played elsewhere.

To recap Louisville had to give up 1 postseason and probably another one down the road, cut scholarships, vacate wins, and vacate 2 final fours, a national title and PR nightmare in exchange for no player that actually played basketball for Louisville. At least in Blue Chips the coach actually got the players.

The one thing on the Powell issue is the NCAA really went outside of their bylaws on penalizing Louisville because of the repugnant nature of the incident. The NCAA I have no doubt, especially now, will uphold the penalties, but Louisville needs to take them to court. They will win.

Once again you missed the point. UL didn’t pay anyone that was clear in the FBI report, which is why no UL coach was arrested. Adidas paid the players family. From Adidas directly to Bowen’s parents. Read the transcript. UL only had to provide a scholarship and get Bowen certified.

The reason no one was arrested is the coaches didn't profit from transaction or the FBI hasn't been able to link the coaches to money. The FBI investigation punishment is completely separate from the NCAA. The Louisville coach knew or agreed to money being used to secure a commitment. My guess is the kid didn't even know which is probably on purpose. While I don't know for sure but I am going to guess that in of itself is a NCAA violation. If Louisville wasn't already on probation I don't think it is a huge deal, but they are which makes it a problem.

I am not not an attorney, but if I was an assistant in this situation I would lawyer up and fight to keep my name redacted. At this point I have not broken any law and I would fight to make sure my name was never released. The University should do the same. I would assume there are legal reason the names weren't initially released. The same could be said for Bowen, but time wise it won't work for him. If the actual names are never released then the NCAA has nothing to grab hold of because when they start their investigation no one is going to talk with them and the FBI may not be able to release their findings to the NCAA.

I agree the University needs to take the lawyer up approach and not admit to anything. They are skating on thin ice terminating Petino and Jurich for cause because they would be effectively admitting NCAA violations occurred which they need to avoid.

Once again you missed the point. UL didn’t pay anyone that was clear in the FBI report, which is why no UL coach was arrested. Adidas paid the players family. From Adidas directly to Bowen’s parents. Read the transcript. UL only had to provide a scholarship and get Bowen certified.
I actually agree, I hope UL and the others in recent years fight the NCAA and just tear them down. They are not morally fit to govern college sports anymore.

Reactions: American Male
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT