ADVERTISEMENT

Two things that we know so far...

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
despite all the noise, the players have not quit. i want you to think deep about that, with everyone saying KP should be fired and that he's the worst coach in history, the players are still ballin'. they may not win, but they haven't quit and that says something.
two...it's the first time in a decade we have no ncaa violations, no national news for coaches behaving badly, nor investigations going on. ponder that also.
so whatever you thoughts, and however slow it's going. there's two positives. still tons of negatives, but it shows something good is at least happening within the program. will kp get a 3rd year, i don't know, will win ten total games this year, i don;t know. but i know the players haven't quit and you have to respect that.

He ain't getting a third year. Good win last night though. I'll never root against us.
maybe...maybe not. throw 6 or 8 more wins plus a run in the acc tourney and he's staying. in most cases human beings don't want to be proven wrong and you've got to figure heird doesn't want to be looked at as having made a bad decision. if the team gets to a dozen or more wins gotta figure he gets a 3rd year. either way though, nothing going to happen until the season is over.

The next 6 games is either the nail in the coffin or they save their season. It is the toughest stretch of the year.

Reactions: jmac1029
two...it's the first time in a decade we have no ncaa violations, no national news for coaches behaving badly, nor investigations going on. ponder that also.
Good post. I think fans as a group, bottom line, are concerned with W-L first, at the end of the day. And let's face it, Kenny's teams have given us almost nothing in that regard.

But the UofL Admin have other concerns to juggle that fans care little or nothing about, and lack of violations and scandals may be chief among them for all I know.

I don't know how this will play out. But I don't think it's necessarily a foregone conclusion at this point from the UofL admin's position.

despite all the noise, the players have not quit. i want you to think deep about that, with everyone saying KP should be fired and that he's the worst coach in history, the players are still ballin'. they may not win, but they haven't quit and that says something.
so whatever you thoughts, and however slow it's going. there's two positives. still tons of negatives, but it shows something good is at least happening within the program. will kp get a 3rd year, i don't know, will win ten total games this year, i don;t know. but i know the players haven't quit and you have to respect that.
Laugh the **** aloud at this 😂

Even after watching the exhibition losses, the sheer number of absolute beatdowns and the 10-39 career record I still feel like some fans don't fully grasp just how bad this team is. I swear people think we're just a "tweak" away or something. That if the guys just try a little more things will get going.

Pushing aside the disastrous media interactions, complete lack of program promotion, fan engagement and recruiting and despite mishandling nearly aspect of every off court duty he has - we will push that aside and focus on the on-court product.

Louisville isn't just bad under Kenny Payne. To be considered a bad team, UofL would probably have to win at least 8 of their final 16 games. Louisville is worst in the power 5, near the bottom in all of college basketball in nearly every category on both sides of the ball. If you can think of a category I can guarantee you that UofL isn't ranked inside the top 150 in that category.

These stats are prior to last nights game.

I looked at 33 different measures on offense, defense and ball handling.

UofL ranks inside the top 200 in 6 of them.
Scoring - 178
Free Throw % - 85
Rebound Rate - 118
Offensive Rebound % - 111
Defensive Rebound % - 134
Opponent Steals her possession - 180

UofL ranked 300 or worst in 4 categories.
3 Point Shooting - 300
3's Per Game - 315
Steals Per Game - 306
Steals Per Possession - 312

They are ranked as the worst in all of the Power 6 in 6 categories.
3's made per game.
Assist/Turnover Ratio
Defensive Efficiency
Opponent Shooting %
Opponent Effective Shooting %
Opponent Assist/Turnover Ratio

UofL ranks 200th or worse in 27 of the 33 categories I looked at. So the idea that a single win at Miami might "get them over the hump" and get Kenny a third year is crazy to think about. This is a season after finishing 355 in defensive efficiency, 327 in offensive efficiency and 300 or worse in numerous statistical categories.

Kenny Payne's isn't building anything. There's no hump to get over. There's no amount of player engagement or level of try that will build momentum for a 3rd year.

Using just about any verifiable statistical measurement you want to find you can almost certain state that Kenny Payne is the worst power 5 hire in the modern era of the sport. He's the worst coach in all of the Power 5 and there's no possible way anyone can justify giving him a 3rd year.

Even after watching the exhibition losses, the sheer number of absolute beatdowns and the 10-39 career record I still feel like some fans don't fully grasp just how bad this team is. I swear people think we're just a "tweak" away or something. That if the guys just try a little more things will get going.

Pushing aside the disastrous media interactions, complete lack of program promotion, fan engagement and recruiting and despite mishandling nearly aspect of every off court duty he has - we will push that aside and focus on the on-court product.

Louisville isn't just bad under Kenny Payne. To be considered a bad team, UofL would probably have to win at least 8 of their final 16 games. Louisville is worst in the power 5, near the bottom in all of college basketball in nearly every category on both sides of the ball. If you can think of a category I can guarantee you that UofL isn't ranked inside the top 150 in that category.

Scoring - 178
Free Throw % - 85
Rebound Rate - 118

3 Point Shooting - 300
3's Per Game - 315
Steals Per Game - 306

3's made per game.
Assist/Turnover Ratio
Defensive Efficiency
Opponent Shooting %

UofL ranks 200th or worse in 27 of the 33 categories I looked at. So the idea that a single win at Miami might "get them over the hump" and get Kenny a third year is crazy to think about. This is a season after finishing 355 in defensive efficiency, 327 in offensive efficiency and 300 or worse in numerous statistical categories.

Kenny Payne's isn't building anything. There's no hump to get over. There's no amount of player engagement or level of try that will build momentum for a 3rd year.

Using just about any verifiable statistical measurement you want to find you can almost certain state that Kenny Payne is the worst power 5 hire in the modern era of the sport. He's the worst coach in all of the Power 5 and there's no possible way anyone can justify giving him a 3rd year.
I think majority of the fans are aware Payne has been horrible.

What fans haven't completely grasped is the players aren't much either. The dudes that left have all flopped mostly.

And while fans point to star ratings for this year's guys they conveniently leave out the part where most of those are FR/Soph, they only had 1 SR and 1 JR, and that SR was far from your most talented guy. Long story short, the roster wasn't built to win this year too, which also is Payne's fault. Unlucky with Flowers, but he was a reclass guy too.

So no, they aren't just a tweak away. They are about 2-3 upperclassmen and probably a new staff away, while also holding what they have. If some shots go in the basket they can win here or there, like last night.

But as others mention this league is so bad they could win a few more unexpectedly. So there's that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I think majority of the fans are aware Payne has been horrible.

What fans haven't completely grasped is the players aren't much either. The dudes that left have all flopped mostly.

And while fans point to star ratings for this year's guys they conveniently leave out the part where most of those are FR/Soph, they only had 1 SR and 1 JR, and that SR was far from your most talented guy. Long story short, the roster wasn't built to win this year too, which also is Payne's fault. Unlucky with Flowers, but he was a reclass guy too.

So no, they aren't just a tweak away. They are about 2-3 upperclassmen and probably a new staff away, while also holding what they have. If some shots go in the basket they can win here or there, like last night.

But as others mention this league is so bad they could win a few more unexpectedly. So there's that.
I agree. I remember arguing all Summer that this roster wasn't nearly as "overhauled" as some wanted to think. It would no doubt be improved from last year but that's only because there's no real way it couldn't.

Also the roster construction was terrible yet again. If not for Ty-Laur not getting eligible at Memphis, Payne would have one guard for the second straight season.

His love of wings, that we all knew, couldn't handle playmaking and ball handling duties is puzzling. Yet he insisted they were fine in that department last year and this season. Having to depend on walk ons for your backcourt depth is never good.

Scoring - 178
Free Throw % - 85
Rebound Rate - 118

3 Point Shooting - 300
3's Per Game - 315
Steals Per Game - 306

3's made per game.
Assist/Turnover Ratio
Defensive Efficiency
Opponent Shooting %

Now THAT is an excellent post!

This program is terrible. It was terrible last year. If Payne’s back, it will be next year too.

There’s no news in that. Everyone knows it including the Administration. The question you have to answer is how much does it matter. Payne haters think that matters a lot mainly because it matters to them.

I’m not so sure. We’ve taken millions of dollars out of this program the last half dozen years. We hired a guy with no head coaching experience. We’re still monitoring the situation. There’s no apparent sense of urgency.

Payne IMO is a lot closer to a third year than many wanna believe. He’s about five wins away for the tide to turn in his favor. I wouldn’t bet against it when there are millions of reasons keeping him here…

Last edited:
I agree. I remember arguing all Summer that this roster wasn't nearly as "overhauled" as some wanted to think. It would no doubt be improved from last year but that's only because there's no real way it couldn't.
I think part of the reason you're seeing posts like that may be that people want Kenny gone so bad they are over-reaching in certain areas of criticism.

It sounds better to say "also he has great players and still can't win". Most of the players wouldn't start on a 2000-2013 Pitino team and wouldn't get much time off the bench at this stage of their careers. They're almost all projects.

All people need to look at is the W-L record, and the overall view the stats you posted (amazing work pulling that together BTW).

This is a very bad coaching staff and the players are projects at best. Not much more needs to be said to make the point.

Reactions: EKYCard643
J Glassman:

It is not about the players; it’s about the coaching, or in this case, it’s the lack of coaching. Judging from a distance, it does appear that a few players are supportive of Kenny, and there are indeed indications at times, where those players refuse to quit.

Now, ask yourself this; is this UL Basketball Program and its future contingent upon how the players feel about their HC? Be mindful that two of the most vocal supporters of Payne are transfer student athletes!

This roster is not without talent, and if they were at 100% healthy, it is conceivable they might win a few more games, but clearly they lack fundamentals and on court discipline, and those around the practices will tell you there is no evidence of coaching.

The night that we upset Miami, occurred during the same week where 6 of the top 10 teams were upset as well. This is going to be the sort of season where there will be a lot of instances where teams have nights where one team will perform above ecxpectations, while at the same time their opponent will execute below their expectations. I would not place a great deal of significance to this one upset win.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
J Glassman:

It is not about the players; it’s about the coaching, or in this case, it’s the lack of coaching. Judging from a distance, it does appear that a few players are supportive of Kenny, and there are indeed indications at times, where those players refuse to quit.
beg to differ claudia schiffer, if you are going to bring up coaching then look at the stats, in the last two games the team has shot their best % of the season basically, they shot .511 vs pitt and .49a vs miami. their 3 pt shooting was best of year at .475 and .436 respectively. plus they had their 2nd and 3rd best ft shooting of the year. they did have 18 turnovers vs pitt but reduced to 12 vs miami. so if you any of you are going to rip the coaching then you must open your eyes, take of the blinders and see that they jsut had their best two games offensively. take away the turnovers in pitt game and they should have won that. if they weren't being coached up that last two games would have been blowout losses. so ti seems, the stats says they are being coached up and learning to play better. and lest we forget if trenton flowers had not taken the money grab we probably would have been way better, and for those of you comparing to RP, we sucked when sebastian telfair didn't come and had a horrible season that year just due to one player not coming. and then amir johnson didn;t come and we sucked. so one great player not showing up when you thought they were can make a huge difference on the season.but simple fact is KP is coaching them up, you are jsut praying he loses every game and looking for reason without looking for truth. stats don;t lie, they are getting better and playing better and running better plays. that requires them being coached up. man i hate being right ALL the time but someone has to educate in times of ignorance.

vs Kentucky 12/21/23 76-95 L 25-59 .424 4-17 .235 22-31 .710 12 23 35 38.3 14 14 13 2 6 76 74.6
at Virginia 01/03/24 53-77 L 19-47 .404 6-25 .240 9-13 .692 5 22 27 37.5 11 10 8 2 2 53 72.9
vs Pittsburgh 01/06/24 70-83 L 24-47 .511 10-21 .476 12-14 .857 6 21 27 36.7 17 15 18 3 4 70 72.7
at Miami (FL) 01/10/24 80-71 W 28-57 .491 10-23 .435 14-16 .875 3 33 36 36.7 14 17 12 3 7 80 73.2

They got blown out by a bad Pitt team that's at the bottom of the standings. They don't get credit for that. Even worse, as glassman says, that happened with one of their best shooting nights.

The only thing that would matter now is if Payne and team start stacking actual wins. Close losses and moral victories isn't enough.

They got blown out by a bad Pitt team that's at the bottom of the standings. They don't get credit for that. Even worse, as glassman says, that happened with one of their best shooting nights.

The only thing that would matter now is if Payne and team start stacking actual wins. Close losses and moral victories isn't enough.
it's all about turnovers. in the beginning of the season everyone complained it didn't look they knew any offensive plays, their shooting % sucked. now they are running plays and doing it successfully. that's called being coached up. imagine if they learn to cut turnovers down, if they keep those to 10-12 a game, i'd predict they'll win 6-10 more games this season. again, i was never a fan of KP to start with but i can see progress and that's the whole point isn't it? remember how the previous team quit on mack and pegues? and they couldn;t play as a team and just sucked and got blown out every game? now we have a team that is actually learning, fighting hard, and maybe starting to gain some confidence. no one thought they'd win on the road and they just did and did so minus a quarter of the team that started the year. now with less players each gets more time and more into a rhythm. just accept the fact that the coaching seems to be taking hold, albeit slower than anyone wanted but it also means that if they are accepting the coaching then Kp cannot be the worst coach ever. i know that's hard to accept for everyone, but it means he is coaching them and they are listening. and he will be here next year so stop complaining everyone and a start cheering!!!

Reactions: FlavRunit

That’s about like getting your leg run over by a car and saying well it could have been worse. It could have been both legs.

Fans lock in on the wins/losses and future success of the program with that. I totally get that. This was a young team not built to win now, no matter how many frustrated fans point to talent.

What glassman pointed out is the new regime is scandal free, and that might be important to decision makers, just as important or even more than your W/L bottom line. Then there's the entire financial part of this.

We don't really know what the mission is for the program, but we're going to have clarification on all that when the season is over. Payne's results were so bad they aren't going to be able to hide the mission clarification piece much longer. The only way Payne gives 'em cover is if he goes on a surprise run.

Reactions: glassmanJ
That’s about like getting your leg run over by a car and saying well it could have been worse. It could have been both legs.
glass half empty half full. i'm at least showing the positives because every other person here gladly points out the negatives. and a perfect example is something that happened to me saturday night, we went out with a couple hundred friends to see some grateful dead music and my friend got his car towed from a bs spot where only the tiniest of signs on one pole facing only one way said they'd be towed. in driving him home and hearing him complain about everything that happened and the $165 bucks he'd pay to get his car out, i reminded him as he exited the door, he just got a fun ride home with a friends he hasn't seen in awhile, his listened to great music in the car, and since his eyes were waaaay dilated as he had fun wandering thru the mycelium network, i told him he probably shouldn't have been driving anyways and most likely the cops we saw having other people pulled over might have pulled him over instead, thus he wasn't in jail, he didn't wreck his car, and he's not facing a $5k dui charge. sometimes, it's much better to only have broken one leg instead fo two. at least were not dealing with a story of our coach choking out his wife like some people would prefer to have as long as we won 10 more games.

it's all about turnovers. in the beginning of the season everyone complained it didn't look they knew any offensive plays, their shooting % sucked. now they are running plays and doing it successfully. that's called being coached up. imagine if they learn to cut turnovers down, if they keep those to 10-12 a game, i'd predict they'll win 6-10 more games this season. again, i was never a fan of KP to start with but i can see progress and that's the whole point isn't it? remember how the previous team quit on mack and pegues? and they couldn;t play as a team and just sucked and got blown out every game? now we have a team that is actually learning, fighting hard, and maybe starting to gain some confidence. no one thought they'd win on the road and they just did and did so minus a quarter of the team that started the year. now with less players each gets more time and more into a rhythm. just accept the fact that the coaching seems to be taking hold, albeit slower than anyone wanted but it also means that if they are accepting the coaching then Kp cannot be the worst coach ever. i know that's hard to accept for everyone, but it means he is coaching them and they are listening. and he will be here next year so stop complaining everyone and a start cheering!!!
It’s all about turnovers
It’s all about rebounding
It’s all about shooting
It’s all about assists
It’s all about defense
It’s all about conditioning
It’s all about player effort
It’s all about passing
It’s all about coaching

So…no. It’s not all about turnovers.

glass half empty half full. i'm at least showing the positives because every other person here gladly points out the negatives. and a perfect example is something that happened to me saturday night, we went out with a couple hundred friends to see some grateful dead music and my friend got his car towed from a bs spot where only the tiniest of signs on one pole facing only one way said they'd be towed. in driving him home and hearing him complain about everything that happened and the $165 bucks he'd pay to get his car out, i reminded him as he exited the door, he just got a fun ride home with a friends he hasn't seen in awhile, his listened to great music in the car, and since his eyes were waaaay dilated as he had fun wandering thru the mycelium network, i told him he probably shouldn't have been driving anyways and most likely the cops we saw having other people pulled over might have pulled him over instead, thus he wasn't in jail, he didn't wreck his car, and he's not facing a $5k dui charge. sometimes, it's much better to only have broken one leg instead fo two. at least were not dealing with a story of our coach choking out his wife like some people would prefer to have as long as we won 10 more games.

Let’s be real the dude is in way over his head he is and never will be HC material! The longer they allow him to hang around and drag the program further into the abyss the closer we get to the point of no return and I’m not sure we’re not already there! But hey you keep them rose colored glasses on I think your going to need em!

Fans lock in on the wins/losses and future success of the program with that. I totally get that. This was a young team not built to win now, no matter how many frustrated fans point to talent.

What glassman pointed out is the new regime is scandal free, and that might be important to decision makers, just as important or even more than your W/L bottom line. Then there's the entire financial part of this.

We don't really know what the mission is for the program, but we're going to have clarification on all that when the season is over. Payne's results were so bad they aren't going to be able to hide the mission clarification piece much longer. The only way Payne gives 'em cover is if he goes on a surprise run.
A top 6 program of all time going 4-28 is an effing scandal.

No - we’re dealing with a story of a coach choking out the entire program with his complete ineptitude.

Interesting that in your world - that’s somehow better.

Again, it's not just a coaching issue. It's a program issue. Trying to just fix the coach won't get it done...
Who besides the coaching staff recruits players, oversees their development, installs and teaches a system (offense and defense), decides on a starting lineup and in-game adjustments, deals with the press and serves as the face of the program? This is about losing and playing poorly while doing it. This is on the coach and his assistants.

Who besides the coaching staff recruits players, oversees their development, installs and teaches a system (offense and defense), decides on a starting lineup and in-game adjustments, deals with the press and serves as the face of the program? This is about losing and playing poorly while doing it. This is on the coach and his assistants.
We could start by replacing the $15 million sucked out of the men's basketball budget the last half dozen years. But you're one of those money-doesn't-matter posters I'll wager.

And the problems didn't start in 2022 with Payne's arrival. This program was spiraling down well before then. Whose fault was that?...

Pitino? He was ultimately responsible for this snowball morphing into the avalanche. Could not keep his pencil in his pants, could not keep hookers out of the dorm, and could not make sure his staff wasn't arranging payment for players.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Where was that 15 million allocated to and who’s decision was it to do so?
The lion's share didn't even remain in athletics. Remember that $2.5 million annually that Grissom and Postel agreed to pay the LAA in 2017? The very next year--Tyra's first--the men's basketball budget was cut by that amount, never to be restored.

Note that none of the cost came from women's basketball which plays all of its games downtown too. No chance in hell Walz would have put up with that. Put it to the new men's coach who can only get the job agreeing to it.

Somehow, magically, men's basketball was supposed to cope just fine overnight with 30% less funding. None of the other sports, just men's basketball which was apparently wiping their a$$es with 20-dollar bills.

Of course, it's EVERY AD, board member, and administrator since those original clowns who have perpetuated this situation. It could have been and can be corrected at any time.

Regarding Pitino? He was just the excuse for clowns to lay waste to men's basketball. They're doing a damn fine job...

Last edited:
Regarding Pitino? He was just the excuse for clowns to lay waste to men's basketball. They're doing a damn fine job...
Whatever. He wasn't the excuse, he supplied the ammunition for the holes who wanted to knock us down. And he didn't supply one round, but three. So you keep your program destroying avatar and place the blame on whomever you want but it ultimately leads to one person.

Whatever. He wasn't the excuse, he supplied the ammunition for the holes who wanted to knock us down. And he didn't supply one round, but three. So you keep your program destroying avatar and place the blame on whomever you want but it ultimately leads to one person.
All I can tell you is that AFTER Porcini's and Sypher and McGee and Powell and a self imposed ban, we were averaging 20 thousand people downtown. And with revenues to match.

When Pitino exited, so did everything else. Those are all facts. The worst part is that smart people predicted this would happen...

Last edited:
I agree this looks more and more like a planned take down of our basketball program. I wonder if they are doing it to get people to support bringing in an NBA team?
I think there's always been the motive to make that arena profitable because it was making nowhere near the money that the self serving arena consultants said it would. And Jurich and Ramsey weren't gonna play ball.

Ironically/predictably, it's making far less now...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT