ADVERTISEMENT

Wasn't the popular narrative that U of L football coaches?...

I don't necessarily believe all or most of that. But there were other ways to deal with Petrino--like there was with Jurich and Pitino--besides firing them, paying their full buyouts, and/or risking lawsuits with yet more costs. That's the point.

We merely went down this path because our leadership is shortsighted and impulsive, a group of control freaks, and reckless with spending. There are many ways to skin a cat...
The football problem stems from the ridiculous buy-out the former AD gave Pitrino. But you still want to try to throw the mess on Tyra while defending the guy who made the deal to begin with.

I don't necessarily believe all or most of that. But there were other ways to deal with Petrino--like there was with Jurich and Pitino--besides firing them, paying their full buyouts, and/or risking lawsuits with yet more costs. That's the point.

We merely went down this path because our leadership is shortsighted and impulsive, a group of control freaks, and reckless with spending. There are many ways to skin a cat...

What was the other ways to deal with Petrino that would have saved us 14 mil? Honest question, I'd love know what you thought Tyra could do that would force Petrino to quit and not take his golden parachute.

Petrino was barely Top 25 on the lists I've read. And he was far and away the most sought after coach on the staff except for Summers.

Yet, your expectation is that the entire staff was Top 25. That's ridiculous. Your coaches then and now aren't as good as you THINK they are. That's no one's standard but yours.

And that's morphing the narrative anyway... Which was, they're not qualified for football coaching jobs. Results show otherwise...

You know this how? Where is your data to show they aren't good?

But your post was about how many of Bobby’s assistants were getting jobs. The suggestion here is they they weren’t so bad, really. Never mind the multiple 50 point plus humiliations. It must have been the players. Recruited by the staff. Now you are saying the the WAY they were removed was clumsy and cost us a ton of money. I quite agree in the case if Pitino and Jurich. That could not have been handled worse. But Bobby’s ouster was flat-out awful performance. He deserved it. So did the staff. The whole kit and kaboodle. There is no guarantee the pressuring Bobby the way you suggest would have caused him to leave for less money. It may have even resulted in a law suit.
A lawsuit over what? Petrino suing U of L WHILE employed? What better circumstances could "Vince" have asked for? I wouldn't paid any buyout with that line of reasoning...

I want the right analysis and the right fixes. Not contrived hate narratives later proven to be wrong.

Was Petrino & Staff at fault?...Sure, and he would tell you that. Is the path we're on correct?...Who knows?

What we DO know is we spent many millions to take this path, and spent by people with agendas and very little experience in their jobs...

How do you know that the analysis and fix was the wrong one? Other than you disliking Tyra what shows that this is the wrong move? The team wasn't winning games which at some point should be the goal.

Tyra didnt say the coaches weren't D1 quality, upset fans did. People often exagerate somewhat, how often do we here this or that player is a D2 player cause they played poorly? What the data is showing those is that all of our assistants that are getting hired are taking a huge step down from UofL. The one lone exception is Lonnie Galloway. We were paying BVG top 10 D coordinator job and his previous job was that of a defensive analyst. Now Vangorder is a position coach for a mid level G5 program. Its a red flag that all of our staff are taking huge pay cuts and prestige cuts in their next jobs.

The football problem stems from the ridiculous buy-out the former AD gave Pitrino. But you still want to try to throw the mess on Tyra while defending the guy who made the deal to begin with.
No, Petrino's buyout was in line with other coaches like Brohm and Mack. That wasn't the problem.

The problem was how "Vince" managed the situation. He's an unqualified AD...

What was the other ways to deal with Petrino that would have saved us 14 mil? Honest question, I'd love know what you thought Tyra could do that would force Petrino to quit and not take his golden parachute.
First thing I would have done is direct Petrino to get rid of his family members on staff. That would have definitely gotten the ball rolling. I'd have also relieved Petrino of his offensive play-calling responsibilities, the part of the game he loves the most.

Again, your objective is to make him NOT want the job. "Vince" couldn't wait for that.
You know this how? Where is your data to show they aren't good?
Google "highest paid college football coaches". The lists are everywhere...

First thing I would have done is direct Petrino to get rid of his family members on staff. That would have definitely gotten the ball rolling. I'd have also relieved Petrino of his offensive play-calling responsibilities, the part of the game he loves the most.

Again, your objective is to make him NOT want the job. "Vince" couldn't wait for that.

The only way Petrino negotiates is if he believed he would still be coach in 2019, but with zero control of the program. Petrino had 14 million chips to gamble with and call Tyra bluff. Petrino would be a fool to do anything to jeopardize the 14 million. How hard is it to fire your family when you know you can take care of them. That wasn't going to move the needle.

So you would have drug the entire thing out to negotiate over a couple of million and put the new coach even further behind the Eight Ball? Petrino knew he was a lame duck with no other opportunities. Sometimes you have to cut bait.

Reactions: KerryRhodes

So your plan is to basically crater the program for a few years in a feud between the HC and AD. You could piss Petrino off and he sits through a couple more seasons getting paid millions with basically the same buyout. A lot of people thought Petrino had given up anyhow so what does it matter to him if we continue to lose a couple more years? For 14 mil I'd sit on the sidelines 12 times a year and get booed. If we hold onto Petrino until his buyout lowers, we've still paid him the 14 mil in his yearly salary.

IMO the only thing your solution does is ensure that we aren't do any attempt at rebuilding for several more seasons.

What is your data to show our current assistants aren't that good?

Reactions: teamcanada
No, Petrino's buyout was in line with other coaches like Brohm and Mack. That wasn't the problem.

The problem was how "Vince" managed the situation. He's an unqualified AD...
LOL...you think Mack was a bad hire too. Did something Pitino couldn't do win a game a Noth Carolina.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
The only way Petrino negotiates is if he believed he would still be coach in 2019, but with zero control of the program. Petrino had 14 million chips to gamble with and call Tyra bluff. Petrino would be a fool to do anything to jeopardize the 14 million. How hard is it to fire your family when you know you can take care of them. That wasn't going to move the needle.
Well, you never know if you don't try. If you don't fire Petrino, you don't owe him $14 million. There's a world of possibilities between here and there...

So you would have drug the entire thing out to negotiate over a couple of million and put the new coach even further behind the Eight Ball? Petrino knew he was a lame duck with no other opportunities. Sometimes you have to cut bait.
$14 million--for starters--is not a "couple million". Attendance declines are nowhere near that magnitude financially. Like his bosses, "Vince" wanted control regardless of the cost...

So your plan is to basically crater the program for a few years in a feud between the HC and AD. You could piss Petrino off and he sits through a couple more seasons getting paid millions with basically the same buyout...
Fans don't think like high paid coaches. That's why you live in different worlds. Power and importance are significant. You undermine that for Petrino and see what happens. It wouldn't have taken "years" if you make the guy's life a hell on Earth.

"Vince" simply chose the easier and ridiculously more expensive option...

Fans don't think like high paid coaches. That's why you live in different worlds. Power and importance are significant. You undermine that for Petrino and see what happens. It wouldn't have taken "years" if you make the guy's life a hell on Earth.

I'd be will to bet it'd take atleast 2 seasons before Petrino decided to quit while you were making his life hell. In that time he and his staff no longer recruit, don't care about winning, and more than likely stop holding the players accountable at all. So not only are you losing but you start getting negative off the field stories to top things off. In that time you've paid him 8 million dollars and your program is taking that much longer to try and rebuild. Also during the that time you are are jumping for joy on Tyra's grave about the football program tanking and attendance tanking with it. More importantly to Tyra most of fans are at his front door with torches and pitchforks cause he and Petrino are in a petty war.

$14 million--for starters--is not a "couple million". Attendance declines are nowhere near that magnitude financially. Like his bosses, "Vince" wanted control regardless of the cost...
Pitino was never going to walk away with nothing so we aren't talking about $14 million. Attendance declines and sponsor losses would have been more than the potential savings by negotiation

He’s already been through hell on earth with the Arkansas episode. That was national humiliation that still gets brought up by people all the time. This is nothing by comparison All he would have had to do in this case is sit down and not do his job. He could afford to dare Vince NQ to fire him. He either gets his 14mm or he destroys Louisville football as a brand or a place recruits or coaches would want to come. TJ would have been similarly handcuffed. He needed to go, one way or the other.

Well, we all saw this coming....LOL. Of course we should have kept our HC after being one of the worst teams in the country (notice I didn't say "worst P5 teams" we were legitimately one of the very worst teams in the entire country).

I'd be will to bet it'd take atleast 2 seasons before Petrino decided to quit while you were making his life hell. In that time he and his staff no longer recruit, don't care about winning, and more than likely stop holding the players accountable at all. So not only are you losing but you start getting negative off the field stories to top things off. In that time you've paid him 8 million dollars and your program is taking that much longer to try and rebuild. Also during the that time you are are jumping for joy on Tyra's grave about the football program tanking and attendance tanking with it. More importantly to Tyra most of fans are at his front door with torches and pitchforks cause he and Petrino are in a petty war.
So you paid $7 million a year to root Petrino out early. That's 18,000 fans per year on a fully priced season ticket to break even. Many people don't pay that full price.

And your football attendance is gonna be down next year anyway just like it has been with Mack this year. People had bought their tickets this year BEFORE the demise. You'll get NO payback on that $14 million...

Pitino was never going to walk away with nothing so we aren't talking about $14 million. Attendance declines and sponsor losses would have been more than the potential savings by negotiation
Attendance declines WORSE than now? Like an empty arena? I recall a couple hundred people standing in line at Pitino's book signing here late last year.

If anyone could have pulled it off, it would have been Jurich. The clown show never gave him/us the chance. So we have a $40 million lawsuit hanging over our heads, and seven thousand empty seats anyway. Wonderful.

One thing this site has proven to me over the last year or so is how detached our posters are from the mentality of the average fan--good or bad...

Reactions: swurv99
He’s already been through hell on earth with the Arkansas episode. That was national humiliation that still gets brought up by people all the time. This is nothing by comparison All he would have had to do in this case is sit down and not do his job. He could afford to dare Vince NQ to fire him. He either gets his 14mm or he destroys Louisville football as a brand or a place recruits or coaches would want to come. TJ would have been similarly handcuffed. He needed to go, one way or the other.
No self respecting coach wants to look bad. He was not going to intentionally junk his career and the lives of his family members. Petrino would have gone to "Vince" and said "let's end this." That's the opening you want for a much reduced buyout on your terms, not Petrino's.

"Vince" didn't wanna wait, and we paid $14 million ON TOP OF Satterfield's salary--or what we really wanted, Brohm's buyout and salary. That's on "Vince"...

Well, we all saw this coming....LOL. Of course we should have kept our HC after being one of the worst teams in the country...
Again, we're not saying keep him. It's HOW you do things that matters just as much...

No self respecting coach wants to look bad. He was not going to intentionally junk his career and the lives of his family members. Petrino would have gone to "Vince" and said "let's end this." That's the opening you want for a much reduced buyout on your terms, not Petrino's.

"Vince" didn't wanna wait, and we paid $14 million ON TOP OF Satterfield's salary--or what we really wanted, Brohm's buyout and salary. That's on "Vince"...

Do you have some link from Petrino that you derive that conclusion from?

So you paid $7 million a year to root Petrino out early. That's 18,000 fans per year on a fully priced season ticket to break even. Many people don't pay that full price.

And your football attendance is gonna be down next year anyway just like it has been with Mack this year. People had bought their tickets this year BEFORE the demise. You'll get NO payback on that $14 million...

And how much when you add in the fans that you lose during the rebuild. Its not everyone is just going to immediately come back. Lets say we go 1-11 with Petrino next season. Its possible since we barely beat an FCS team and WKU at home, we could lose to WKU on the road. Then we go another terrible season in the best case scenario, in the more likely scenario Petrino stays until his buyout is significantly dropped and we end up with a shell of a program and an even longer rebuild. We are looking at probably 5-6 years before we are competitive in the Acc again and all that time attendance is lower than it will be if Satterfield is actually able to start attempting to rebuild now.

Tickets sales are just part of the money lost. How much does Tyra lose in donations for other things when fans are pissed that he and Petrino are in a petty battle of wills while the fans suffer? Is that what a good AD is supposed to do? Piss off the people who put money into the program.

Reactions: Smithereen

Wow, you don't get it. With the lack of recruiting and schedule attendance was going to continue to decline. Maybe next year wins and losses may not be much better, but the players will put out an effort unlike they would have from P. Also, P ruined recruiting in the state and allowed UK to get local kids. It's not that Stoops recruiting is that good its that players and High School coaches despised P. Short term payout on a stupid contract from former AD to a long term investment of build rebuilding a program.

Find me a high profile coach who works in a job he hates long with his AD...

It’s tough to find coaches that most all other schools wouldn’t hire as a HC who would leave money on the table. The closest example I can think of is Jim McElwain at Florida and there was some thought they could fire him with cause.

You don’t know that football attendance will be down. With Notre Dame and Clemson on the home schedule, we could actually have a pretty good year, assuming we field a more competitive team (it’s almost impossible not to be more competitive). The CBP payoff will be done in 2 years. The alternative was keeping him, which maybe you wanted but what would have attendance been if Bobby was back on the sideline. As regards your earlier statement about suing a current employer, of course he could. Anybody can sue anybody for anything. If his employer is harassing him in an attempt to force him to quit without meeting their financial obligations, he would have an excellent case. I also doubt TJ would stoop to such tactics if he were the AD. This was the only move they had, though I would have liked to to seem them spread out payments more.

Reactions: Art79
And yet you felt I needed to know who you were. Strange for sure...
Lol - I said hello - no different than if I would have come to the thing at Saints. Given that you mention it in literally every response to one of my posts, I’d venture to say it was a highlight for you.

“Obsession for Men” by zipp.

Sad.

And how much when you add in the fans that you lose during the rebuild. Its not everyone is just going to immediately come back. Lets say we go 1-11 with Petrino next season. Its possible since we barely beat an FCS team and WKU at home, we could lose to WKU on the road. Then we go another terrible season in the best case scenario, in the more likely scenario Petrino stays until his buyout is significantly dropped and we end up with a shell of a program and an even longer rebuild. We are looking at probably 5-6 years before we are competitive in the Acc again and all that time attendance is lower than it will be if Satterfield is actually able to start attempting to rebuild now.

Tickets sales are just part of the money lost. How much does Tyra lose in donations for other things when fans are pissed that he and Petrino are in a petty battle of wills while the fans suffer? Is that what a good AD is supposed to do? Piss off the people who put money into the program.
Wow, you don't get it. With the lack of recruiting and schedule attendance was going to continue to decline. Maybe next year wins and losses may not be much better, but the players will put out an effort unlike they would have from P. Also, P ruined recruiting in the state and allowed UK to get local kids. It's not that Stoops recruiting is that good its that players and High School coaches despised P. Short term payout on a stupid contract from former AD to a long term investment of build rebuilding a program.
I'll guaran-damn-tee you that football ticket revenue is down next year, and down by several million. I'm just trying to figure out when we're gonna get payback on that $14 million investment.

Fortunately, you know I'll keep tracking that. It's what I do...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT