ADVERTISEMENT

Walz and McDonnell Contracts extended!

Great news for UofL athletics to further lock down these two premier coaches along with the previously announced Lolla extension.

Got to give credit when credit is due. Tyra now needs to go nail down a softball coach.

So ya’ll gonna say this wasn’t Tyra still or ya’ll gonna own up to it?

I think McDonnell and Walz set the ground rules and Louisville just agreed to them. All Tyra had to do was sign on the dotted line it's not like he dictated things it was the other way around.

I think McDonnell and Walz set the ground rules and Louisville just agreed to them. All Tyra had to do was sign on the dotted line it's not like he dictated things it was the other way around.

You nor does anyone have a clue what went on to make these extensions happen....

giphy.gif

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3

While I think your theory is ridiculous, I could care less who “set the ground rules”. What I do know is that you and many others were spewing hatred for Vince Tyra and preaching doom and gloom about how there would be a mass exodus of coaches because of him. Maybe this should be a lessen to “let the cake bake” before ripping the guy. He certainly has a lot to yet prove and many challenges to overcome, but the results so far speak for themselves. Thankfully most fans didn’t fall for the anti-Tyra and anti-Mack agendas being pushed on here.

I love Jurich as much as the next guy and I agree he got unfairly fired, but that's no reason to take away from the extensions for both McDonnell and Walz. Those two are the best coaches in the athletic department in terms of results and improvement of what they inherited vs what they are now.

Reactions: HRTheCard
Tyra had to fend off MSU for McDonnell. No one to my knowledge was coming after Walz.

Fanboy gets a little credit for recognizing the right thing to do--dole out the $$. But like paying Mack $30 million, you don't get much credit for simply managing a $100+ million athletic department. Dangling a huge contract in front of a new and largely unproven coach at this level is not a huge accomplishment. Nor is paying people more money that you already have on staff. Those are just participation trophies for Tyra...

Reactions: shutzhund
Tyra had to fend off MSU for McDonnell. No one to my knowledge was coming after Walz.

Fanboy gets a little credit for recognizing the right thing to do--dole out the $$. But like paying Mack $30 million, you don't get much credit for simply managing a $100+ million athletic department. Dangling a huge contract in front of a new and largely unproven coach at this level is not a huge accomplishment. Nor is paying people more money that you already have on staff. Those are just participation trophies for Tyra...

Welcome to the Pied Piper for UofL doom and gloom. You can wait longer for the exodus of coaches you yearned for.

Tennessee could’ve been a landing spot for Walz.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Tennessee could’ve been a landing spot for Walz.
Tennessee still has a coach. And Walz has fielded what could be a championship team next year. Add/subtract those factors, and I wonder what he decides?

That said, I'm of course glad he's still here. I don't need to like Fanboy to enjoy a national championship...

These coaches came to Louisville for multiple reasons, only one of those reasons doesn't exist any longer.
The fact they stayed is a credit to Jurich for building a program that attracted and maintained these coaches. That doesn't mean Tyra didn't pay an important role in these coaches staying. He had to show all these coaches the commitment to their program was just as strong as when Jurich was here. I think he has been clear with all the coaches on the future plan and the coaches like the plan.

All this does for me is solidify my belief that Jurich was a terrific AD and Tyra is capable of leading this program. Only time will tell if he is a terrific AD. As a fan base what else can we ask for considering what the program just went through?

Reactions: SoulSr
In reality, I don’t give a big rat’s butt what, or which, poster doesn’t like a particular UofL AD or coach. And I don’t understand why we give a person that continually berates particular UofL “people” the opportunity to continue their rants by responding to them. Vince Tyra, in my opinion (and I’m entitled) has only gotten better at this AD gig. And I don’t care where he went to college just like I didn’t give a crap where Howard Schnellenberger went to college. Just sayin’ that’s all.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: sk73
It's funny how some of you can talk down Jurich who was the most productive AD in school history. He was so productive that I don't think there will be another AD to meet his achievements. When someone questions Tyra or doesn't give him the credit YOU think he deserves you can't understand it.
I will question Tyra's qualifications due to the fact that he was appointed to the job. He did not go through a job search and come out as the best candidate like other AD's. Then on top of that they run a fake job search to make him look like the best candidate after the fact.
Reports from talk radio and other sources said that contracts with McDonnell and Walz were being worked out where the coaches wanted more guarantees that their jobs were secured. I do think it is great that Tyra is capable of keeping the coaches that Jurich deemed qualified for the job. The coaches that proved Jurich knew what he was doing.

Reactions: zipp
I plan to only give Tyra props for legit accomplishments and push back against others who don't. If people see that as hating on Tyra, that's too bad 'cuz I have no intention of curtailing that. As always, don't click on my posts or just put me on 'ignore'. (My monthly public service announcement...)

Reactions: Vestavia57
I plan to only give Tyra props for legit accomplishments and push back against others who don't. If people see that as hating on Tyra, that's too bad 'cuz I have no intention of curtailing that. As always, don't click on my posts or just put me on 'ignore'. (My monthly public service announcement...)
If you cant at the least say that Tyra seems to be picking up where Jurich left off, then yes you are simply a hater. So far he has done a good job of continuing what Jurich started.

Reactions: HRTheCard
It's funny how some of you can talk down Jurich who was the most productive AD in school history.

Going to stop you right there. NO ONE I have seen talked down what Jurich created for this university. The only thing I've seen is people talking down the new AD. While we acknowledge what Jurich did, we can also acknowledge Tyra's accomplishments so far in keeping the coaches some of you all said would bolt. Here we are, they are all staying, and guess what I still see?.....people hating and not giving any credit. Now what's happening? Some are trying to spin a completely different narrative. No one has said what you claimed. This is about Tyra, this is NOT about Jurich. The only time Jurich is brought up is when it's clear that some loved him more than UofL because some wont even give Tyra a chance.

Let me ask those people this, if Jurich stayed here until he retired and then UofL made a new hire, would you act this way? No you wouldn't. You wouldn't act that way because he retired, not fired. Therefore, most are acting like this towards Vince because they are upset at the way the BOT fired Jurich. That's FACT!

Reactions: Knucklehank1
...if Jurich stayed here until he retired and then UofL made a new hire, would you act this way? No you wouldn't. You wouldn't act that way because he retired, not fired. Therefore, most are acting like this towards Vince because they are upset at the way the BOT fired Jurich. That's FACT!
This is hysterical... Ask Jurich if it matters to him whether he retired or was fired. There's your same answer for a lotta people.

And let me know how Tyra got his job, who hired him. Then let me know how credible those people are.

How obvious does this stuff need to be? Or did you give your six-year old your posting credentials?...

If you cant at the least say that Tyra seems to be picking up where Jurich left off, then yes you are simply a hater. So far he has done a good job of continuing what Jurich started.
I have no problem with the opinion that Tyra is trying, as you say, to "pick up where Jurich left off."

How well he's doing is TBD. He's had a couple of challenges, but not nearly enough yet to answer that question. Unless he gets an inordinate number of opportunities, that's mostly a test in time...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chapman123
Tyra's accomplishments is he is able to keep Jurich's coaches, you have a low bar. I want to see Tyra go out and raise 100's of millions of dollars like Jurich. As of right now Tyra is just a good ole boy but he can prove me wrong let's see.

Reactions: zipp
Tyra's accomplishments is he is able to keep Jurich's coaches, you have a low bar. I want to see Tyra go out and raise 100's of millions of dollars like Jurich. As of right now Tyra is just a good ole boy but he can prove me wrong let's see.

Again, no one said we are lowering the bar for Tyra. We’re just acknowledging the things that you all said Tyra couldn’t/wouldn’t be able to do and that so happened to be retaining the coaches. It’s very clear you have an agenda and so do others bc after something happens that you all didn’t think would, it instantly is spun into something else or you give Tyra another task acting like what he did wasn’t good enough even though before he did it, it was talked about how he wouldn’t be able to do it.

Again, no one said we are lowering the bar for Tyra. We’re just acknowledging the things that you all said Tyra couldn’t/wouldn’t be able to do and that so happened to be retaining the coaches. It’s very clear you have an agenda and so do others bc after something happens that you all didn’t think would, it instantly is spun into something else or you give Tyra another task acting like what he did wasn’t good enough even though before he did it, it was talked about how he wouldn’t be able to do it.
No one I know said coaches would leave. Find me that person.

I am someone who said that would be a key test along with bringing in money, as Koz points out. So far so good, but it's only been 7-8 months. And only ONE coach--McDonnell--has been seriously pursued by another school that we know about.

Tyra defenders and clown show apologists wanna call the ballgame in the 2nd inning if they think they're in the lead. I believe I'll hang around at least for the 7th inning stretch...

Reactions: KozmasAgain
No one I know said coaches would leave. Find me that person.

I am someone who said that would be a key test along with bringing in money, as Koz points out. So far so good, but it's only been 7-8 months. And only ONE coach--McDonnell--has been seriously pursued by another school that we know about.

Tyra defenders and clown show apologists wanna call the ballgame in the 2nd inning if they think they're in the lead. I believe I'll hang around at least for the 7th inning stretch...

“So far so good”. Zipp is really coming around. At least you didn’t call Tyra some unflattering names on your post.

“So far so good”. Zipp is really coming around. At least you didn’t call Tyra some unflattering names on your post.
You mean like "scumbag" or " fanboy"?

Oh, those still apply. I don't like the guy personally, but that's not gonna keep me from concluding that he's doing a good job IF that happens. It's not necessary for me to like Tyra for him to be successful. If you're waiting for that attitude to change, good luck...

I agree with Zipp no one said he couldn’t keep the current coaches that’s the easy part because they love it here. Treat them right, pay them what they deserve and don’t screw them over and there here for a long while.

I agree with Zipp no one said he couldn’t keep the current coaches that’s the easy part because they love it here. Treat them right, pay them what they deserve and don’t screw them over and there here for a long while.

Actually it was a pretty common refrain from the anti-Tyra people that there would be a mass exodus of coaches. I see that the haters are now moving into the revisionist history phase.

You mean like "scumbag" or " fanboy"?

Oh, those still apply. I don't like the guy personally, but that's not gonna keep me from concluding that he's doing a good job IF that happens. It's not necessary for me to like Tyra for him to be successful. If you're waiting for that attitude to change, good luck...
At least you finally acknowledge how irrelevant you actually are. It is a step in the right direction.

It's funny the sUcK fan supports Tyra that should be alarming. I remember how much they hated Jurich because of his success.

It's funny the sUcK fan supports Tyra that should be alarming...
Along with Gruesome & Postel, the pizza guy, and probably Dan Issel.

We didn't make up the saying "birds of a feather flock together." And I'd like someone to point out the eagles and pigeons in these images...

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg

Pizza%20Guy%20amp%20Friends_zpsojsywaqd.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT