ADVERTISEMENT

U of L and LPT Spring Games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Towles wasn't that bad of a QB he just didn't have the coaching. Hell Louisville started 3 different QB's last year. With good QB play they could of been 12-1 but they didn't. Your record says who you are and Mark Stoops record says he can't coach.

I'm sure Towles is a good kid, and I'm only speaking of the football player, not person.

He isn't a Div 1 QB, no matter who is coach is, He can't throw the ball over the middle, has no touch on screens, inaccurate on slants, locked on receivers, can't pass receivers open, panics under pressure, the kid just doesn't have the mental fortitude to be a division one QB.

I'm sure Towles is a good kid, and I'm only speaking of the football player, not person.

He isn't a Div 1 QB, no matter who is coach is, He can't throw the ball over the middle, has no touch on screens, inaccurate on slants, locked on receivers, can't pass receivers open, panics under pressure, the kid just doesn't have the mental fortitude to be a division one QB.
But the stars your fan base loves to brag about said differently. Each OC Stupid has brought in is the latest greatest OC in your fans eyes. This broken record has been playing for decades.

Yep that is sure what you were saying this time last year. In comparing the two teams I think you said UK has the better QB. You're a piece of work.

Well now Bill, your post begs for a couple of questions: one, since he isn't a D1 level player then how come your "great staff" couldn't figure this out in a period of 3 to 4 years?, two, I guess Boston College isn't D1 level either, is that right? Your post smells like a rather large load of BS.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Well now Bill, your post begs for a couple of questions: one, since he isn't a D1 level player then how come your "great staff" couldn't figure this out in a period of 3 to 4 years?, two, I guess Boston College isn't D1 level either, is that right? Your post smells like a rather large load of BS.

I think they knew the kid had the physical attributes, and thought the mental part would come.
I think Stoops knew if he pulled Towles for Barker he wouldn't handle it well, and he didn't.

Boston College was desperate for a QB.

I think Stoops knew if he pulled Towles for Barker he wouldn't handle it well, and he didn't.

My God you're full of it! So he stuck with Towles as the season went off the rails because he didn't want to hurt Patty Potter's feelings? Forget about winning games let's not step on any toes. Do you just pull stuff out of your butt? Because very rarely does it make even a little bit of sense. This might be the dumbest of your many many idiotic posts. You really think a major college coach won't make a change because he's worried about how the player will "handle" it. Dumbest poster on the inter webs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gocds
Bill for someone that is so willing to discuss football every time you open your posting mouth you prove just how much you don't know about college football, OR football in general. You do understand that a poor Boston College team last year was better than you beloved cayuts right? If you don't then you need a new primer on the sport. You almost lost to EKU, that's EKU for God's sake. In fact, you should have lost to EKU and they ain't Boston College. Towles isn't SEC quality and he isn't ACC quality either but he'll do much better with good coaching than he ever did at uahkay. And guess what, Barker is even worse. But of course you won't believe that. You'll just have to learn the hard way. I'll predict right now that the true frosh or the transfer kid will be starting before the fourth game. uahkay won't have any choice. I hope Barker doesn't get injured attempting to avoid the rush that he's obviously going to get.

My God you're full of it! So he stuck with Towles as the season went off the rails because he didn't want to hurt Patty Potter's feelings? Forget about winning games let's not step on any toes. Do you just pull stuff out of your butt? Because very rarely does it make even a little bit of sense. This might be the dumbest of your many many idiotic posts. You really think a major college coach won't make a change because he's worried about how the player will "handle" it. Dumbest poster on the inter webs

No offense but that's exactly what Stoops said, I didn't just dream it up.
My guess is there was a lot more at play than just football, I hope not.

Listen, I'm done responding to you, you add nothing but childish name calling in response.
What I posted is exactly what the coach said, he was afraid that once Barker came in he'd lose Towles, and he was right as Towles pouted on the sideline and then transferred.

You need to understand you're only making yourself look little with the name calling, what you say isn't important to me.

Bill for someone that is so willing to discuss football every time you open your posting mouth you prove just how much you don't know about college football, OR football in general. You do understand that a poor Boston College team last year was better than you beloved cayuts right? If you don't then you need a new primer on the sport. You almost lost to EKU, that's EKU for God's sake. In fact, you should have lost to EKU and they ain't Boston College. Towles isn't SEC quality and he isn't ACC quality either but he'll do much better with good coaching than he ever did at uahkay. And guess what, Barker is even worse. But of course you won't believe that. You'll just have to learn the hard way. I'll predict right now that the true frosh or the transfer kid will be starting before the fourth game. uahkay won't have any choice. I hope Barker doesn't get injured attempting to avoid the rush that he's obviously going to get.

BC's offense was putrid last year, defense was good, offense not so much.

Actually ....after rewatching UL \ uk game from last year... that would appear to be a Very good description of Barker...

With the "coaching" and "development" that kids get at LPT, you can't tell whether a player is bad or not. The high-rated kids they get tend to be overrated because damn few perform DESPITE their environment. But at the lower end of the spectrum, you can't say that a kid who fails is solely responsible.

Their program is too bad, and too many of their coaches themselves fail. Look at how poorly our guys performed under K-rag. A bad coach can ruin a lot of players.

LPT Football: No kidding...

Reactions: LockdownCard
No offense but that's exactly what Stoops said, I didn't just dream it up.
My guess is there was a lot more at play than just football, I hope not.

Listen, I'm done responding to you, you add nothing but childish name calling in response.
What I posted is exactly what the coach said, he was afraid that once Barker came in he'd lose Towles, and he was right as Towles pouted on the sideline and then transferred.

You need to understand you're only making yourself look little with the name calling, what you say isn't important to me.

Well then Stoops is a buffoon, just like I thought. So are you

Towels was a 4 star just like Barker. Both were born and bread UK fans that played in lower level KY high school competition, talk about padding the stats. Towels had one advantage, he's Jim Bunnings grandson. You think that was in play in Stoops thinking?

And it's doubtful that either one of them could have started at one of the upper level Jefferson County schools. Especially Barker.

Towels was a 4 star just like Barker. Both were born and bread UK fans that played in lower level KY high school competition, talk about padding the stats. Towels had one advantage, he's Jim Bunnings grandson. You think that was in play in Stoops thinking?

Towles played on a high school team that was superior to most KHSAA teams, Barker was pretty much all his team had.
They didn't get 4 star ratings because of high school performance.

I don't think Bunning was the only reason, but I would imagine with all the renovations to Commonwealth he was able to open up some purse strings. I think the biggest is reason is Stoops wasn't going to let the players dictate who the QB was, and dug his heels in.

Towles played on a high school team that was superior to most KHSAA teams, Barker was pretty much all his team had.

Unless you're from Jefferson County I would take any "4*" Ranking with a grain of salt in regards to HS players fro, the Commonwealth...give me a "3*" player from Georgia, Florida, Louisiana or Alabama any and everyday over a "4*" HS Player from Kentucky outside of the Louisville/Jefferson County area...3*/4* HS Players from here as history shows are legit...from Michael Bush, Brian Brohm, DeVante Parker to Louisville to Keenan Burton, Corey Peters for Kentucky

Reactions: zipp

I don't think Bunning was the only reason, but I would imagine with all the renovations to Commonwealth he was able to open up some purse strings. I think the biggest is reason is Stoops wasn't going to let the players dictate who the QB was, and dug his heels in.
The way you spin things is entertaining to say the least. Towles sucks but Stoops won't bench him because he won't take it well and Stoops doesn't want the play Barker because he doesn't want to have the players tell him what to do?

The way you spin things is entertaining to say the least. Towles sucks but Stoops won't bench him because he won't take it well and Stoops doesn't want the play Barker because he doesn't want to have the players tell him what to do?

Towles had talent...was never developed...if he had even Shawn Watson and especially Petrino he would be a much better QB...As for Elam, it part him not working hard/pushing his away from the Training Table and the UK DL Coach/S&C staff.

Towles had talent...was never developed...if he had even Shawn Watson and especially Petrino he would be a much better QB...As for Elam, it part him not working hard/pushing his away from the Training Table and the UK DL Coach/S&C staff.

Towles had a big arm, that's about it.

We can talk about lack of development all day long, but the kid was wildly inaccurate.
The middle of the field pass was nonexistent with him as QB. You can't stare down receivers in D1 football, no matter how big of an arm you have.
At some point a QB has to be ABLE to develop, he has to grasp what he's being taught when lights are on.

Petrino would've yanked his butt in several games last year, and Towles would'nt have been able to handle it, he just isn't a gamer.

Unless you're from Jefferson County I would take any "4*" Ranking with a grain of salt in regards to HS players fro, the Commonwealth...give me a "3*" player from Georgia, Florida, Louisiana or Alabama any and everyday over a "4*" HS Player from Kentucky outside of the Louisville/Jefferson County area...3*/4* HS Players from here as history shows are legit...from Michael Bush, Brian Brohm, DeVante Parker to Louisville to Keenan Burton, Corey Peters for Kentucky

The few talented players from out in the state like Damien Harris get scouted and end up at a quality school.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

I'm not spinning anything, I heard the man say if Towles was benched he'd lose him, he was right.
The team went south when Williams was pulled, rightfully so, yet Towles was apparently untouchable.
I'm not saying Barker is going to be the program's savior, but it was time for a change.

Towles had a big arm, that's about it.

We can talk about lack of development all day long, but the kid was wildly inaccurate.
The middle of the field pass was nonexistent with him as QB. You can't stare down receivers in D1 football, no matter how big of an arm you have.
At some point a QB has to be ABLE to develop, he has to grasp what he's being taught when lights are on.

Petrino would've yanked his butt in several games last year, and Towles would'nt have been able to handle it, he just isn't a gamer.

Towles has way more physical skills than Kyle Bolin and Will Gardiner...but when you constantly change Offensive Coordinators and have players it appears running the show this is the result.

And you didn't address Elams issues.....

Not what you were saying last year bout this time.

Actually it was Jay, I said Towles was the determining factor on the team, that he needed to improve his mental side of the game, he didn't.
Towles was his own worst enemy, when you're a D1 QB you've got to be able to think quick and handle pressure.

Towles has way more physical skills than Kyle Bolin and Will Gardiner...but when you constantly change Offensive Coordinators and have players it appears running the show this is the result.

And you didn't address Elams issues.....

I agree, he has every tool physically to be a great QB, size, decent speed, and a cannon. It takes more than that though, you e got to be able to manage the game.

Off topic but I would've killed to see Prince in the 80's, his music was the soundtrack of my youth.

I agree, he has every tool physically to be a great QB, size, decent speed, and a cannon. It takes more than that though, you e got to be able to manage the game.

Off topic but I would've killed to see Prince in the 80's, his music was the soundtrack of my youth.

Well worth it...June 1986 just graduated from HS..he popped into Louisville with 1 days notice...was at Freedom Hall in a line that basically went all the way back to the Watterson Expressway...Greatest performance ever and that includes Michael Jackson live as well.

Reactions: Bill Derington
I just realized I skipped your question on Elam.

He needs to significantly improve this year, I personally don't think he will, he needed to redshirt his Freshman year.

I think he was rated highly because Alabama offered him. Alabama has the luxury of basically cutting a player if he doesn't grow to their liking and not miss a beat, UK doesn't have that advantage.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

I watch Trinity absolutely crush Towles in a preseason scrimmage. He looked like a deer in headlights. I made the statement to my friends that night that other than his size, I didn't get the hype.

I watch Trinity absolutely crush Towles in a preseason scrimmage. He looked like a deer in headlights. I made the statement to my friends that night that other than his size, I didn't get the hype.

The physical tools he has...it between the ears...but just me he could have been better if properly developed

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
As poorly coached as kids are at LPT, you can't know whether the average kid was overrated or not. It's a revolving door many times with their system, and the head guy's fighting for his life once the honeymoon is over.

Towles could have been vastly overrated or just poorly coached. The question of which one it is can't be answered. The only thing we know is that he chose poorly a few years ago.

LPT Football: More questions...

This thread has diverged .... like that has never happened before. ;)

Re Towles, he was a legitimate 4* prospect in high school who played on a very good team that played very good (including highly ranked out of state) competition. In short, he was tested and performed well against above average competition. No need to re-write history to take away from his talents and accomplishments.

Now if you want to take digs at Stoops for failing to have any continuity in place and/or for failing to develop Towles, then have at it. IMO, Towles would have been much better off going to a different college but his blue tinted glasses (including the Highlands to UK pipeline) caused him to make a poor decision. I'm not totally convinced that he didn't actually receive better coaching in high school.

Re Barker, he was also a legitimate 4* recruit and it remains to be seen how he develops and performs. IMO he will probably not receive what he needs at UK to be successful but we'll have to see how that plays out. Plus, he has potential "head case" issues that were not a concern for Towles.

No one is rewriting history about Towles high school play, but Highlands in that time frame was better than 90% of the teams they played, significantly.

Scouts saw the big arm and size, you can't measure leadership attributes.
Maybe he would've been better somewhere else, I don't think so because the thing he's missing can't be taught, you either have it or don't.
As for Barker, you may be right, but it's past time to find out.

It's hilarious how UK fans make Towles and Dawson the scapegoats for their problems when it is so obvious the problem lies with the head coach. Who will be the whipping boy after they roll to a 4-8 record this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT