ADVERTISEMENT

U of L and LPT Spring Games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hilarious how UK fans make Towles and Dawson the scapegoats for their problems when it is so obvious the problem lies with the head coach. Who will be the whipping boy after they roll to a 4-8 record this year?

My intention wasn't making Towles the scapegoat, and definitely not Dawson.

The most important player on the field is the QB, Towles struggled for 2 years. It wasn't all on him, but a large part of it was.

Dawson's play calling was limited, because the middle of the field was unavailable. I think Stoops also meddled too much in the offense, he's a defensive coach.

I'm sure Towles is a good kid, and I'm only speaking of the football player, not person.

He isn't a Div 1 QB, no matter who is coach is, He can't throw the ball over the middle, has no touch on screens, inaccurate on slants, locked on receivers, can't pass receivers open, panics under pressure, the kid just doesn't have the mental fortitude to be a division one QB.

Rivals had him as a 4 star top 10 ranked pro style QB in his class. So somebody must have thought he was a D1 QB.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Towles struggled for 2 years. It wasn't all on him, but a large part of it was.

Wrong, he did not struggle for 2 years. Hilarious. Dude you can't even remember the not too distant past.

He did not struggle his Soph year. He had a respectable 14/9 TD:INT split, threw for 2,700 yards first year as a full time starter behind that trash O line. Always in come from behind mode defenses just pinning their ears back rushing the passer. Ran for 305 yards also. Showed a lot of toughness taking 36 sacks, he was a fighter. His Soph year was why many of the UK fans were expecting the arrow to even go up his Jr year.

You're piling on him NOW because it's easier to do that than to admit to being aware of the number of other problems the program has.

Either way, you're wrong about the guy struggling for 2 years.

Last edited:
It's hilarious how UK fans make Towles and Dawson the scapegoats for their problems when it is so obvious the problem lies with the head coach. Who will be the whipping boy after they roll to a 4-8 record this year?

The evidence is so obvious. 8 men on the punt return. The Vandy game...I guess you could blame poor player development on the individual, but with so many guys (Elam, Harry Potter, etc) not panning out, at some point that has to rest in the coach's lap.

The evidence is so obvious. 8 men on the punt return. The Vandy game...I guess you could blame poor player development on the individual, but with so many guys (Elam, Harry Potter, etc) not panning out, at some point that has to rest in the coach's lap.

And the 8 men on punt return is a total joke. Hell I know little league coaches who could get at least 10 men on the field.

...Maybe he would've been better somewhere else, I don't think so because the thing he's missing can't be taught, you either have it or don't...
Any LPT football player will be at least as good somewhere else. Again, you can't know how much better when their current coaching is as bad as it is.

All we've heard from LPT fans the last four years is how much better the recruiting is with Stupes. Yet, his on-the-field results are no better than Joker's. Until that situation is corrected, all of your recruits are just falling into a black hole.

LPT Football: Space suits required...

I recall Watson acknowledging that either Towles or Barker coming out of HS was one of the best potential QBs (throwing motion and technique) that he had seen ..........sorry, but I cannot recall which one.

My point here is that "potential out of HS" is worthy of strong consideration by any D1 college, and I suspect few would argue that both were legitimate 4 Star QBs regardless of the admitted inferior competition they experienced in HS.

It has been several decades now, but the last time a true rural KY HS QB lived up to expectation was Tim Couch out of Leslie Co. He set a lot of records, and his level of competition was horrible. However, his size and his summer camp performances were extremely impressive. I do not think Towles or Barker ever rose to that level, but in fairness Hal Mumme knew QBs, and his practices were almost entirely focused on his offensive passing game. Stoops is in way over his head and the only position that he has failed to "coach'em up" as much as QB, was his WRs. I am not making excuses for Towles, but his career at UK has been defined by one receiver after another dropping his passes.

Wrong, he did not struggle for 2 years. Hilarious. Dude you can't even remember the not too distant past.

He did not struggle his Soph year. He had a respectable 14/9 TD:INT split, threw for 2,700 yards first year as a full time starter behind that trash O line. Always in come from behind mode defenses just pinning their ears back rushing the passer. Ran for 305 yards also. Showed a lot of toughness taking 36 sacks, he was a fighter. His Soph year was why many of the UK fans were expecting the arrow to even go up his Jr year.

You're piling on him NOW because it's easier to do that than to admit to being aware of the number of other problems the program has.

Either way, you're wrong about the guy struggling for 2 years.

Patrick Towles was the exact same QB this year as he was last year.

Surely you remember our discussion last summer when I specifically said he had all the tools, but what he was missing was in his mind.

People were giving him credit for being a redshirt sophomore for his misgivings, expecting him to grow. That's where the hype came from cause it was clear he had the tools.

He didn't grow, he wilted under pressure.

8 men on the field. Swiss cheese D. Players
Patrick Towles was the exact same QB this year as he was last year.

He was significantly better his Soph year than he was his JR year.

The fact that you're publicly saying he was the same exact QB is embarrassing, even for you.

2014 2,700 yards, 57.4%, 6.93 yards PA, 14 TD, 9 INT, 305 rush yards, 122.8 rating
2015 2,148 yards, 56.1%, 6.59 yards PA, 9 TD, 14 INT, 64 rush yards, 112 rating

I feel like I'm talking with Marty McFly. Hello. McFly. The TD:INT ratio flipped. In every key QB statistic, he regressed in some instances, drastically.

Flying in the face of evidence, we have Bill, literally, talking out of his ass.

You are a legend for all the wrong reasons guy.

I'm not trying to belittle you, but are you telling me 14 TDs and 9 INTs is just the same as 9 INTs and 14 TDs?

Please tell me you are drunk. Or tell me your biggest enemy has your rivals password/screen name information.

Last edited by a moderator:

He was significantly better his Soph year than he was his JR year.

The fact that you're publicly saying he was the same exact QB is embarrassing, even for you.

2014 2,700 yards, 57.4%, 6.93 yards PA, 14 TD, 9 INT, 305 rush yards, 122.8 rating

I feel like I'm talking with Marty McFly. Hello. McFly. The TD:INT ratio flipped. In every key QB statistic, he regressed in some instances, drastically.

Flying in the face of evidence, we have Bill, literally, talking out of his ass.

You are a legend for all the wrong reasons guy.

I'm not trying to belittle you, but are you telling me 14 TDs and 9 INTs is just the same as 9 INTs and 14 TDs?

Please tell me you are drunk. Or tell me your biggest enemy has your rivals password/screen name information.

You can't be this stupid. I refuse to believe it.

You're so desperate to belittle me you have grasped at anything you can Hop.

My point, and you know it, is he was still making poor decisions at critical points in the game, or getting picked off in the redzone.

I told you as much last summer, remember? And I would be saying the same now if he had chosen to stay.
I'm not piling on, I'm not trying to spin, I'm saying the same Ive said all along. He does not handle adversity well, when the pressure builds his knee get weak.

These stats say so much about UK's football program and the direction they're going.

Towles was simply an overrated HS kid. Stoops seems to specialize in those. (I realize Stoops didn't recruit Towles) Its why I've always taken kids from this state that come from non-Louisville High Schools with a grain of salt. I think Drew Barker was overrated, and I thought Matt Elam was drastically, drastically overrated....should have been a 3 star at best and if plays High School football in any state on the map below Tennessee he might be at a school like East Carolina or Temple right now. I have the same feeling about Kash Daniel...I live 10 minutes from Paintsville, I've seen the kid play he's a great Eastern Kentucky football player but will struggle to make a dent even at a school like Kentucky.

Coaching and the mental makeup of a kid matter. Kids in EKY or really any place other than Louisville never get pushed or consistently play high level competition. Its a difficult adjustment for them to make. Look at a kid like Drew Barker....arrogant, has been told he's the best since he was 13...look what happens. Runs his mouth, gets punched in the face and looks like crap when he does actually play. He has to not only learn the game and adjust to the increased physicality and rigorous training program but he has to mentally adjust to the speed, pressure and expectations of the game along with coming to grips that he might fail. Look at Kash Daniel...rumor has it he was already on campus running his mouth and getting the faces of older players. Thats not smart..especially when he's not played a snap of major D1 football...its arrogant to think he knows what hes talking about.

Its like I've always said on here....give me a 3 star Bobbie Petrino hand picked kid out of Georgia or Florida over a 4 star kid out of Ohio or Kentucky every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You're so desperate to belittle me you have grasped at anything you can Hop.

You made the claim he struggled for two years. It's a false statement. He was a decent ball player for one year. If you choose to reject statistical evidence, never enter statistical evidence into any future arguments.

Reactions: Cue Card
You made the claim he struggled for two years. It's a false statement. He was a decent ball player for one year. If you choose to reject statistical evidence, never enter statistical evidence into any future arguments.

He DID struggle for 2 years Hop, simply because statistically he was better one year over the other doesn't mean he didn't struggle.

Why do you think I posted that last year? Simply a hunch I had or because I saw him make ill advised decisions over and over.

His first year problems while troublesome were things many QBs have. He just never got better, and seemed to buckle under competition and pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT