ADVERTISEMENT

U of L and LPT Spring Games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kentucky were smart they would drop the Louisville series for a while until they build their program back to a respectable level. Replace the UL game with another cupcake, go into SEC play at 4-0, beat Vandy and try and pull another win from one of the bigger schools having a down year.

Two problems here. The first problem UofK has never been anything but arrogant regarding this series. They only agreed to it in the first place because they thought the deck was stacked in their favor. The game was played in Lexington for the first 5 or 6 years (can't remember exactly) until PJCS was built, and UofK thought it was a sure fired easy win.

The second problem is UofK would never EVER admit they couldn't compete with "little brother" and cancel the football series for that reason. They might come up with some other BS excuse to eventually drop the series, but it won't be because they aren't capable of competing.

Two problems here. The first problem UofK has never been anything but arrogant regarding this series. They only agreed to it in the first place because they thought the deck was stacked in their favor. The game was played in Lexington for the first 5 or 6 years (can't remember exactly) until PJCS was built, and UofK thought it was a sure fired easy win.

The second problem is UofK would never EVER admit they couldn't compete with "little brother" and cancel the football series for that reason. They might come up with some other BS excuse to eventually drop the series, but it won't be because they aren't capable of competing.

I agree 1000%. There's absolutely no way UK would be humble enough to drop the series right now.....especially after losing 5 in a row, and 12 of the last 17 games. Louisville has overwhelmingly been the much better program the last 20 years and there's no way they have enough self awareness and humility to admit they needed out of the series for a while because they aren't as good.

The best thing UofL did was hire a coach as good as or better than Strong when he left. College football isn't college basketball devloping talent is key in football. Stoops has shown he is able to get talented players. Yet, either he has trouble evaluating talent or devloping talent. A prime example is Lamar Jackson, who was the 17th ranked Dual threat QB.Drew Barker was 5th ranked pro style QB, Patrick Towles was the 9th ranked pro style QB. Neither guy would hold Jackson's jock and I'm sure both fan bases can agree on that part. Now rather it is coaching or players being over/under ranked idk.

This freshman class coming in they have Young #3 ranked OT, Jackson #3 ranked Center, and the 29th over ranked class. The senior class was ranked #29 and the junoir class was ranked #17 nationally. Which looks great on paper, but this is the year Stoops should be expected to win some games.

What set Brooks (and his staff) apart from Stoops (and staff) was his ability to devlope lower ranking guys into solid football players. Burton was a 3 star but had a solid career. Jacob Tamme was the 67 ranked player at his position, Dicky Lyons was a 2 star, Woodyard was the 50th ranked player at his position, Myron Pryor was a 2 star, Jeremy Jarmon was a 2 star, Stevie Johnson was a 2 star, Trevanthan was a 2 star, Bud Dupree 3 Star. And we all know about Randall Cobb.

UK will keep Stoops because first they can't offord to buy out his contract, and honeslty it would be foolish to do so, when you can't attract a better coach. And secondly UK fans are in love with Star ratings, thanks to the basketball program. As long as Stoops can keep giving them a glimmer of hope that NEXT year is the year they are happy. Reminds me of a sign I seen at a store that read "Free ice cream TOMMORROW" The next day the sign will read the same thing. Kentucky football's break out season is always NEXT YEAR!!!!

Last edited:
I told my boss (who's a big UK football fan) that if UK doesn't go to a bowl game this year that Mark Stoops either should be on the hot seat. He agreed w/me.

That pic that JohnCard28 posted is a very sad tale of a "SEC" football crowd.

In Charlie Strong's third year he had an NFL first round caliber player at the QB spot and Louisville was a top 20 team and knocked off number 4 Florida. He still hasn't had a winning record and they hope the QB position doesn't stink. Louisville was hoping for longshot Heisman run for Teddy's junior season. Unless they pull a miracle turnaround it seems pretty obvious their coach isn't so hot.

The best thing UofL did was hire a coach as good as or better than Strong when he left. College football isn't college basketball and you can't just win on talent alone. Stoops has shown he is able to get talented players. Yet, either he has trouble evaluating talent or devloping talent. A prime example is Lamar Jackson, who was the 17th ranked Dual threat QB.Drew Barker was 5th ranked pro style QB, Patrick Towles was the 9th ranked pro style QB. Neither guy would hold Jackson's jock.

I think their issues fall more towards development or maybe more specifically the inability to settle on a quality scheme (this seems more true on the offensive side of the ball); I say that because defensively they have landed a lot of kids that we also recruited--notably West, Edwards, Rudolph, Hatcher previously, Kengera Daniels. And they haven't produced to the level of their HS accolades. Offensively I know we recruited Conrad, but again...their scheme wasn't connoitered well to tight ends under Brown/Dawson; in fact it wasn't connoitered well for a fairly deep running back pool which sounds like it's more of a commitment with Gran. Compare that to us--and for the love of God please spare me the SEC meat grinder spiel because Florida, Tennessee and South Carolina have been at a very low by their standard level and they weren't playing both Alabama and LSU in that same time frame under Stoops--and our tight ends and running backs have had pretty high degrees of success.

Hack I agree that it's player devlopment were they are falling short. As I posted in my other post you can look at the number of 2 and 3 star players that Brooks turned into All SEC type players, and Stoops is getting better talent and doing less with it.

Reactions: American Male
A key indicator of how well Stupes is doing continues to be their defense. Charlie showed very quick results with our defense based on his coaching background. Stupes as a former D-coordinator is failing that test miserably. Statistically, their D isn't much better than it was during Joker's tenure.

If you're an LPT fan, that should concern you as much as anything.

LPT Football: Comfortably numb...

A key indicator of how well Stupes is doing continues to be their defense. Charlie showed very quick results with our defense based on his coaching background. Stupes as a former D-coordinator is failing that test miserably. Statistically, their D isn't much better than it was during Joker's tenure.

If you're an LPT fan, that should concern you as much as anything.

LPT Football: Comfortably numb...

Total Defense Ranking:
2015 - 59
2014 - 76
2013 - 71 - Stoops first year
2012 - 41
2011 - 41
2010 - 48 - Joker's first year
2009 - 66
2008 - 36
2007 - 62
2006 - 117
2005 - 101
2004 - 97

Joker's Ds all ranked much better than Stoops first 3 defenses and Joker was an offensive minded HC. Stoops has not only failed at his one specific area of expertise...he's failed pretty miserably as you can see. Since 2007 he owns the top 2 worst defenses....UK fans ragged on Charlie Strong when he came stating that he wasn't a good coach he simply benefited from working with a Florida roster. Strong put that idea to rest pretty quickly but it looks as if Stoops entire resume as a "defensive guru" may have been built on the fact that he was working with FSUs roster and not based on his ability to coach and develop players.

Stoops best defensive job was as the d back coach at Miami. He had the best defensive backfield in the country. Of course, Nevin Shapiro helped him recruit those guys (according to Shapiro). I don't put much stock in spring games, and UK has many unknowns, both internally and with their schedule. Four opponents with new coaches, just for starters. It's possible that South Carolina and Missouri could have big turnaround years after some highly unusual stuff last year, but who can predict it. Southern Miss should be a tough opener (but with a new coach), then off to Florida, home with USC, and off to Alabama. If Muschamp plays defense and runs the ball, I could see a 1-4 start and the wheels coming off. On the other hand, they could put it together and win six. Hard to predict. My guess is that their QB play, and depth, will be a big problem, and their d line will fail to stop the run or pressure passers. When UKErik goes gloomy, you've got to think they have serious problems. Go Cards!!!

Stoops best defensive job was as the d back coach at Miami. He had the best defensive backfield in the country. Of course, Nevin Shapiro helped him recruit those guys (according to Shapiro). I don't put much stock in spring games, and UK has many unknowns, both internally and with their schedule. Four opponents with new coaches, just for starters. It's possible that South Carolina and Missouri could have big turnaround years after some highly unusual stuff last year, but who can predict it. Southern Miss should be a tough opener (but with a new coach), then off to Florida, home with USC, and off to Alabama. If Muschamp plays defense and runs the ball, I could see a 1-4 start and the wheels coming off. On the other hand, they could put it together and win six. Hard to predict. My guess is that their QB play, and depth, will be a big problem, and their d line will fail to stop the run or pressure passers. When UKErik goes gloomy, you've got to think they have serious problems. Go Cards!!!

Erik, like many on here are taking WAAAYYY too much from a spring game.

Another way to look at each individual game is that Louiville apparently doesn't have much depth past the starters, while UK's reserves are as good as the starters.

I don't believe that, because again it's a meaningless spring game. I wouldn't try to predict either teams season from this past weekend, or any college teams for that matter.

Another way to look at each individual game is that Louiville apparently doesn't have much depth past the starters, while UK's reserves are as good as the starters.

I don't believe that, because again it's a meaningless spring game. I wouldn't try to predict either teams season from this past weekend, or any college teams for that matter.

Well...in most Spring games...(especially those that are structured as team 1 offense vs. team 2 defense) we will see the team 1 offense dominate and the team 1 defense dominate. This did not happen in UKs case...the team 2 offense was able to run at will on the team 1 defense and the team 1 offense didn't dominate the team 2 defense. This could be a result of like you said...UK having quality depth on both units. But I think we both know that the likely scenario is that UKs team 1 offense and team 1 defense is simply not good right now and thats to be expected. They were a bad offense and a bad defense last year so its foolish to think they would look "good" in the Spring. Question is will they take a big step forward over the Summer? History says...probably not, but we'll see.

Well...in most Spring games...(especially those that are structured as team 1 offense vs. team 2 defense) we will see the team 1 offense dominate and the team 1 defense dominate. This did not happen in UKs case...the team 2 offense was able to run at will on the team 1 defense and the team 1 offense didn't dominate the team 2 defense. This could be a result of like you said...UK having quality depth on both units. But I think we both know that the likely scenario is that UKs team 1 offense and team 1 defense is simply not good right now and thats to be expected...
Precisely, ones vs. twos is not supposed to be a format that ends up with a close game. You often can't take much from a Spring game, but we've all seen enough of them to expect that much.

And the only other explanation that LPT's depth is as good as its starters and BOTH are good, well, we all know that's pure comedy.

LPT Football: If you didn't laugh about it, you'd cry...

Reactions: American Male
2 really great and insightful posts, Strongtino and Cue Card too.

Here's how I am approaching it. I am not the world's smartest guy but I do have just enough of a dislike for them to focus a bit on UK's current self-destruction and their potential ways out. When I begin thinking about the fairly obvious roads out for them, I really enjoy shutting down my brain processes. It gives me a break. Just another reason to stop and smell the roses.

You were right though - twice in a row, lol - Kragged as crap, lol.

Man, that has to hurt.

You obviously don't know much about football Bill if you watched that spring practice and can't realize how bad the Cats will be this year it was Kragthorpian in it's magnitude. Spin any way you want it was pretty obvious UK is in for a long year.

The bottom line is UK is starting over at the QB position and that's a recipe for disaster in the SEC, regardless of how bad the East is. Add to that what others have already said about UK's horrible defense.

UK is going to take a step back this year. And they better hope Barker develops this season while he's taking his lumps or else the year after will be just as bad.

Stoops really needed Harry Potter to develop but it just didn't happen and now his 2 years are wasted. All signs point to the next 2 years going pretty much the same way.

No team in America's #2 defense should stop the #1 offense. No way to spin it but it's awful point blank period. Most you are taking guys who have played on games and multiple years starting, vs newcomers with zero D1 snaps under their belt.

The East is improving as UT and Florida should be much improved, UK missed a great chance the last few years to really make some noise in the division.

UK missed their chance to take a step forward last year. The SEC East won't be as bad as it was last year for a long time. UGA, UT, UF, and Vandy will all be better in 2016 and there's no way that Missouri and USCjr will be worse than they were last year (they finished 2-14 combined in the SEC.)

UK likely wins 3-5 games this year then comes into 2017 with games @Southern Miss, @USCjr, @UGA, @Vandy, and @MSU and Ole Miss and their games against UL, UF and UT. They've already lost 6 games in 2017 and 2016 hasn't even kicked off yet..;)

Now...we've honestly not seen enough of Drew Barker to take full assessment of his ability. His off field stuff and what we've seen in limited action...don't look great...they don't even look "decent" to be honest but this is his 3rd year in Lexington and while he can't single handedly make UK look good or win games...Drew Barker can't be the main reason they lose games...they have many other issues that will help in that area. As long as he's "good" this year then it will bode well for 2017 and maybe the chance they get to a bowl game. Heck, if he can finish the season with close to 3,000ish total yards 15-20ish TDs, less than 10 ints, and complete around 60% of his passes then I would consider that a huge step in the right direction.

UKs massive problem next year will be their line...from what I've read they've got absolutely no pass rush so the one area where they have a little talent (the secondary) won't be able to work effectively.

The U of L starters were 66 points better than their reserves.

The LPT starters were 11 points better than their reserves.

Conclusions?

LPT Football: Never making anyone look bad in practice...
Zipp - as usual, you are on to something here. I just don't know enough about the game overall, but that is a very telling stat, and one that may be a great predictor of the season - at least against UK. Nice thought!

I think there is a real disconnect with UK fans and the reality of starting over with a new QB. Some of them expect a Bowl this year just because of how long Stoops has been there. It's just not going to work out. They have to take a step back from where they've been, the writing is on the wall.

They are in for a very frustrating year. I think some of them had a short period of clarity between the Vandy game and the end of the season last year, but they're back to sunshine pumping and predicting Bowls.

What so funny about UK fans is they consider just making a bowl game the holy grail in college football. To me a team that can't even schedule their way to a bowl game isn't even trying.

The pressure on Stoops shouldn't just be to win more games. I mean they've been a football program for 120+ years and played in 15 bowl games....winning games at Kentucky is very difficult and its not something very many coaches have done in their history. Kentucky plays in the toughest conference in the country and...even though their fans may not want to acknowledge it or admit it...they have one of the bottom tier "Power 5" programs in the country. They're a program with no history, no in state talent, at a basketball first school in a football first conference....changing over a century of losing tradition isn't going to be done over night and its ESPECIALLY not going to be done over night in the SEC. So to expect Stoops to come in and just start sending UK to bowl games (for reference UK goes to a bowl game about once every 8 years on average) after 2-3 seasons is sort of crazy.

Now, what Stoops has had fall in his lap that has been really, really rare for the state of Kentucky is having highly rated in-state talent be available as soon as he took the job. Its rare that kids like Drew Barker, Tate Leavitt, Landon Young, Matt Elam, Kash Daniel, etc were produced in Kentucky. So he's benefited greatly from a rare insurgance of in state talent. He's been very impressive on the recruiting trail but it seems to me that he and Vince Marrow probably aren't the best coaches to scout talent. They're either relying too much on rankings, are terrible scouts, or they have absolutely no ability to coach and develop talent. We're coming into Stoops 4th season and you would be hard pressed to find a single player who's gotten substantially better. Maybe I'm spoiled because Bobby Petrino is one of the best coaches in the country at not relying on rankings or stars and relying more on his scouting ability and system fit but Stoops has been terrible at developing talent.

Another aspect Stoops has been terrible at is actual in game coaching and management. Stoops made the huge-huge mistake when he was hired - as a first time HC - that he brought in young, inexperienced position coaches and coordinators. Kentucky was basically an entire coaching staff of men that had no idea how to coach, game plan or manage a team. Bringing in Eddie Gran should help with that some but he still doesn't have a ton of experience on his staff and its shown these past 3 years. Petrino basically ran the same plays all game last year - just out of different formations and Stoops was completely clueless as to how to stop them. Not only that but his golden boy QB, his 4-star Army All American - who redshirted and has been with UK for 2 years was absolutely destroyed by a 3 star kid who had been on campus 4-5 months by the time he took the field that day.

Stoops has been bad - 0-9 against UL, UT and UF, 1-2 vs Vandy...4-20 vs the SEC losing by 20 points per game . Stoops has been bad....here's what I've told all of my UK friends that are big football guys....completely forget that Stoops has recruited well at Kentucky the last 4 years...look at his stats and remember what you've seen from him these 3 seasons. If you completely remove his recruiting classes from the equation he's been a train wreck. Stoops doesn't necessarily need to take UK to a bowl game - like I said thats a rare occurrence in its own right. He just has to show signs that he's a competent HC. He has to not allow his team to collapse during the second half of the season or make dumb coaching decisions during games or come out of timeouts with 9 guys on the field or not completely bungle the goal line offense or begin to show that some of these highly ranked kids have actually gotten better. UK doesn't have to win 6 games this year to show improvement...they literally just have to show signs that the program is headed in the right direction. Because the last 3 years have been small glimpses of moving forward, surrounded by huge glimpses that the program is a complete dumpster fire and Stoops isn't close to capable of putting it out.
Remember with respect to bowls that there were very few bowls for most of that 120 years. The multitude if bowl games now makes UK's failures in recent decades even worse.

I think there is a real disconnect with UK fans and the reality of starting over with a new QB. Some of them expect a Bowl this year just because of how long Stoops has been there. It's just not going to work out. They have to take a step back from where they've been, the writing is on the wall.

They are in for a very frustrating year. I think some of them had a short period of clarity between the Vandy game and the end of the season last year, but they're back to sunshine pumping and predicting Bowls.

I understand how hard it is to start over with a new QB, thats why I and most UK fans felt Stoops screwed up by staying with Towles entirely too long. Not only was it obvious early that Towles hadn't improved, but it also caused a rift on the team. Not to mention delaying Barker getting game action.

In my mind that was Stoops biggest mistake, he was unable or unwilling to accept that Towles just didn't have it, and was never going to have it.

You obviously don't know much about football Bill if you watched that spring practice and can't realize how bad the Cats will be this year it was Kragthorpian in it's magnitude. Spin any way you want it was pretty obvious UK is in for a long year.

Why is it obvious? Read my previous post on taking way too much from a meaningless game. Most of UK's offensive impact skill players didn't play in the game, it was obviously a vanilla gameplan, while Petrino has always tried to put on a show.

My point is that it's a meaningless practice, what happens in a spring game isn't a barometer on how a team plays or the offense it's going to run in the real games.

I understand how hard it is to start over with a new QB, thats why I and most UK fans felt Stoops screwed up by staying with Towles entirely too long. Not only was it obvious early that Towles hadn't improved, but it also caused a rift on the team. Not to mention delaying Barker getting game action.

In my mind that was Stoops biggest mistake, he was unable or unwilling to accept that Towles just didn't have it, and was never going to have it.

Don't worry, Drew Barker know's how to get it:

Precisely, ones vs. twos is not supposed to be a format that ends up with a close game. You often can't take much from a Spring game, but we've all seen enough of them to expect that much.

And the only other explanation that LPT's depth is as good as its starters and BOTH are good, well, we all know that's pure comedy.

LPT Football: If you didn't laugh about it, you'd cry...

Alabama Spring game score White 7- Crimson 3, bottomline is coaches prep for the spring game differently, and in the end it means very little.

[pun
Why don't you go away? You're completely obnoxious and a joke. Your schtick has worn thin.

There is no schtick, just simply posing valid points that the spring game is not something to base the upcoming season on.

Thats not short changing Louisville's display, it was impressive. All I'm saying is UK's score doesn't mean they're going to fall back this year, different coaches approach the game differently.

Clemson 17-12, FSU 24-24, Ohio St 28-17

[pun

There is no schtick, just simply posing valid points that the spring game is not something to base the upcoming season on.

Thats not short changing Louisville's display, it was impressive. All I'm saying is UK's score doesn't mean they're going to fall back this year, different coaches approach the game differently.

The score doesn't matter , just watch the attitudes of the team. Do they break the huddle sharply? Do all 11 guys on defense run to the ball? If you have been around football you can tell when a team is well coached. Kentucky ain't one of them. Maybe Stoops didn't go with Barker earlier because he sucks. If Stoops just started him the last two games because that's what the team wanted he's lost all respect because a football team isn't a democracy.

[pun

Bill, I find it hilarious that you want to bring up spring game scores of top 25 teams. Their second team is much better than your first team. Also regarding Towles and Barker, they are the same QB. Two more KY High School legends that went to UK to kill their careers but get good basketball seats during their stay.

Reactions: JohnCard28
What so funny about UK fans is they consider just making a bowl game the holy grail in college football. To me a team that can't even schedule their way to a bowl game isn't even trying.

Can you imagine how bad they'll get when they finally do make it to a Bowl again?

It's going to happen someday. Even Indiana and Duke have gone to Bowls in recent years. UK will again, too.

Once they get back to a Bowl, then the sky's the limit for their delusional imaginations. Remember when Joker started talking about winning the SEC East right before the bottom fell out? Joker was a UK fan more than a coach so he was just speaking like the typical fan.

I'm glad their next Bowl trip is a few years (and probably a few coaches) away.

...Clemson 17-12, FSU 24-24, Ohio St 28-17
You don't report the format--ones vs ones or ones vs twos--with those games. And there aren't any coaching, depth, or personnel quality issues with those teams or Bama.

It's sort of humorous listing those teams as any form of proof about LPT.

LPT Football: We're the SEC...

The score doesn't matter , just watch the attitudes of the team. Do they break the huddle sharply? Do all 11 guys on defense run to the ball? If you have been around football you can tell when a team is well coached. Kentucky ain't one of them. Maybe Stoops didn't go with Barker earlier because he sucks. If Stoops just started him the last two games because that's what the team wanted he's lost all respect because a football team isn't a democracy.

The rift was started because other players that didn't perform would be pulled, yet when Towles didn't perform and hadn't for over a year he stuck with him, and Barker would'nt even get in the game.
Barker may turn out being a bust as well, but the handling of Towles only delayed finding out. Towles was a bad QB, he had a big arm but that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT