ADVERTISEMENT

Totally Off Topic, but for comedic relief, I just lived a Seinfeld episode

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
I post only to break up the summer wait for football. But I just experienced a Seinfeld episode and thought I could possibly give you a laugh for the day

Three months ago I dreamed of a concert trip with seven other adults to memphis. I actually convinced 7 people to trust me, yes that's super crazy, and I reserved an air bnb and a 12 person passenger van for last Friday thru Avis on Crittenden drive.

I called Avis the Tuesday before to confirm my van reservation. I called them again on Thursday, the day before, to confirm the reservation and showed up promptly at 9 am Friday to pick it up. The first thing I see when I arrive is a sign saying they have no place to leave your car. WTF?!? I am by myself so I have to call everyone else who is waiting for me to have someone come pick my car up adding an hour to the trip time.

I walk in the door and they first tell me the van isn’t ready. I sit there and wait forty minutes, by then three friends have arrived to help pick my car up, when finally the manager comes out and says, Hey, there are no vans in Louisville, sorry, you’re out of luck. WTF!!!!!!!!

She then tells us that instead of helping us find a solution, she’s going back inside to help the next customer and she’ll get back to us. WTF!!!!!!!!! There were already two other CSR’s inside helping and she tells us we have to wait longer! I basically lost it and could no longer speak rationally so the ladies in the group took over.

Surprisingly, I didn’t blow a gasket but easily could have thrown down a vulgar, profanity laced tirade which the likes haven’t been seen since the movie a Christmas Story. but I didn’t I took a deep breath and backed off. Actually impressive, considering.

I even was able to fully use the quote” ANYONE CAN TAKE A RESERVATION (throwing my arms in the air like crazy inflatable wavy arms balloon guy), IT’S HOLDING THE RESERVATION THAT’S THE IMPORTANT PART!!!). it actually felt good to drop that quote. Iconic. my friends I think were actually laughing, in frustration of course.

So the ladies go inside and we end up with two small suv’s at no kind of discounted rate. none. if I had the time I could have gone elsewhere and gotten a cheaper rate. One car was given to us on empty, the other car had alignment issues, And now two people who had to drive to Memphis instead of all of us riding together. Just plain screwed us over.

Thankfully, the band threw down both nights and the annoyance and frustration gave way to boogeying down with friends and like-minded spirits. And to end the story on a good note, I just got Avis to refund everything so the car rental was free. The lesson learned, anyone can take a reservation, but Holding the reservation is actually the most important part. Thank you Seinfeld.

Was this trip for the Def Leppard/ Journey concert?

uuuhhhhhh no! Do Def lepard and Journey actually still exist? i haven't seen a concert of any band that you could hear on the radio in almost 25 years, and that's probably 300-400 concerts. if they are not on Sirius Jam On station i wouldn't know who a band is. although i do know that imagine dragons sings Thunder as my 5 year old loves that song.

we saw WSMFP at Mud Island. and if i have to explain WSMFP, you wouldn't understand. but my avatar is a good hint

I post only to break up the summer wait for football. But I just experienced a Seinfeld episode and thought I could possibly give you a laugh for the day

Three months ago I dreamed of a concert trip with seven other adults to memphis. I actually convinced 7 people to trust me, yes that's super crazy, and I reserved an air bnb and a 12 person passenger van for last Friday thru Avis on Crittenden drive.

I called Avis the Tuesday before to confirm my van reservation. I called them again on Thursday, the day before, to confirm the reservation and showed up promptly at 9 am Friday to pick it up. The first thing I see when I arrive is a sign saying they have no place to leave your car. WTF?!? I am by myself so I have to call everyone else who is waiting for me to have someone come pick my car up adding an hour to the trip time.

I walk in the door and they first tell me the van isn’t ready. I sit there and wait forty minutes, by then three friends have arrived to help pick my car up, when finally the manager comes out and says, Hey, there are no vans in Louisville, sorry, you’re out of luck. WTF!!!!!!!!

She then tells us that instead of helping us find a solution, she’s going back inside to help the next customer and she’ll get back to us. WTF!!!!!!!!! There were already two other CSR’s inside helping and she tells us we have to wait longer! I basically lost it and could no longer speak rationally so the ladies in the group took over.

Surprisingly, I didn’t blow a gasket but easily could have thrown down a vulgar, profanity laced tirade which the likes haven’t been seen since the movie a Christmas Story. but I didn’t I took a deep breath and backed off. Actually impressive, considering.

I even was able to fully use the quote” ANYONE CAN TAKE A RESERVATION (throwing my arms in the air like crazy inflatable wavy arms balloon guy), IT’S HOLDING THE RESERVATION THAT’S THE IMPORTANT PART!!!). it actually felt good to drop that quote. Iconic. my friends I think were actually laughing, in frustration of course.

So the ladies go inside and we end up with two small suv’s at no kind of discounted rate. none. if I had the time I could have gone elsewhere and gotten a cheaper rate. One car was given to us on empty, the other car had alignment issues, And now two people who had to drive to Memphis instead of all of us riding together. Just plain screwed us over.

Thankfully, the band threw down both nights and the annoyance and frustration gave way to boogeying down with friends and like-minded spirits. And to end the story on a good note, I just got Avis to refund everything so the car rental was free. The lesson learned, anyone can take a reservation, but Holding the reservation is actually the most important part. Thank you Seinfeld.
As I was reading this I was patiently waiting for you to tell us that you got a car and it smelled of B.O.

Reactions: glassmanJ
uuuhhhhhh no! Do Def lepard and Journey actually still exist? i haven't seen a concert of any band that you could hear on the radio in almost 25 years, and that's probably 300-400 concerts. if they are not on Sirius Jam On station i wouldn't know who a band is. although i do know that imagine dragons sings Thunder as my 5 year old loves that song.

we saw WSMFP at Mud Island. and if i have to explain WSMFP, you wouldn't understand. but my avatar is a good hint
I gotcha. I was a fan of Seinfeld, so I read your post. When you mentioned Memphis, I felt the need to reply. While I was never a fan of Def Leppard or Journey, their concert here was a big deal to a lot of people I know, so I thought I would ask. HedleyLamarr had a better response than I did; wish I had thought of that.

Your band, on the other hand, plays here quite often. I guess they don't make it to Louisville very often.

I guess they don't make it to Louisville very often.
actually the opposite, outside of the major spots they've played louisville the most. i think they've been here just about every year on tour. lately it's either forecastle fest or the palace. last february was smoking hot.. the louisville palace is one of their favorite spots and the tapes generally prove it.

Reactions: cardfaninmemphis
some other quotes for fun..
the tractor gave me gonerrhea
he pulled it out
she has man hands
the velvet fog
Ukhrain is not weak
sponge worthy
yeah, that's right
step off
yankee beans yankee beans
poor little pinkus
why no t-bone
the sea was angry that day my friends
bad naked
everyone loves the drake
shrinkage
scofflaw
even steven
they're real and they're spectacular
anti-dentite
my friend bob saccamano
levels
i'm huge jerry, huge
Cartwright!
muffin tops
frogger
puffy shirt
soft talkers
close talkers

just to come up with a few off the top of my head in two minutes

Seinfeld is the GOAT.

EVERY DAY I can relate something to an episode. Awesome story ....

Now to take this a slightly different direction, I thought you may have pulled a Steve Martin, in Planes, Trains and Automobiles on the Avis rep ....

It's 4 minutes long ... and contains some beautifully crafted adult language ... but it is funny.

Love some WSP but it only really counts if you have to sell grilled cheese sandwiches in the parking lot to pay for your ticket. :cool: And did you ask for the insurance b/c you were going to beat the heck out of those rentals?

BTW, thought that your story might be taking a Red Hen twist by denying service b/c they didn't like your taste in music or the affiliation on your clothing or something like that. (Sad that our minds are now conditioned to expect businesses to be offended and offensive).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT