ADVERTISEMENT

Time to give Satterfield and these kids some credit

How about, get better talent, and stop calling games/plays/schemes like a dumb bastard...? Then I'll give credit. Being 3-3 and in in his third year in the ACC(1-2 conf) is nothing to praise. I'd like to see how many of you will be pumping sunshine after Kentucky skull drags Louisville for the third time in a row.
Why are you even a fan or even better ARE you even a fan.

Sound like a guy with little brother syndrome..

Reactions: gocds
Why are you even a fan or even better ARE you even a fan.

Sound like a guy with little brother syndrome..
I see you want no part of refuting my argument, and are going straight after me. IOW, you don't disgree with anything I said but you feel a need to retaliate emotionally. I understand; it sucks to be the fan of a program that sucks. You an I just handle it in different ways.

How about, get better talent, and stop calling games/plays/schemes like a dumb bastard...? Then I'll give credit. Being 3-3 and in in his third year in the ACC(1-2 conf) is nothing to praise. I'd like to see how many of you will be pumping sunshine after Kentucky skull drags Louisville for the third time in a row.
If we can’t compete for an ACC title, isn’t that what it will boil down to? I will never concede to the kitties but don’t ask me to wager my house on it.

I see you want no part of refuting my argument, and are going straight after me. IOW, you don't disgree with anything I said but you feel a need to retaliate emotionally. I understand; it sucks to be the fan of a program that sucks. You an I just handle it in different ways.
No I'm not going to refute the fact that I don't necessarily like the play calling at times and the defensive schemes but its hardly cause to call someone a "dumb bastard".. Thats kinda juvenile don't you think ? This is his 3rd year on the job. 1st year he was ACC Coach of the year, won 8 games and a nice bowl win. Last year sucked out loud no doubt. Im willing to chalk that up to covid issues and civil unrest in the city over the Brianna Taylor mess, if you're not willing to give last year a pass then that's your option. This year with the exception of Ole Miss we've been in position to win every game and could be 5-1 with the exact same personel and coaches. You and I don't know the exact talent level on this team because of so many young players. The coaches could be doing a hell of a job to put us in position to win.

I agree whole heartedly the defensive scheme needs to change and I'm sure the coaches know its not working but maybe they know the talent better than we do and what we're running gives us our best chance to win ? I mean if you look at it, we did only give up 13 points in 3 quarters to a pretty good offensive team Saturday. I think we slipped in the 4th quarter because those front 3 were gassed from trying to pass rush on every play.

No I'm not going to refute the fact that I don't necessarily like the play calling at times and the defensive schemes but its hardly cause to call someone a "dumb bastard".. Thats kinda juvenile don't you think ?
No. 3 games in a row; that's a dumb bastard level of incompetence.
This is his 3rd year on the job. 1st year he was ACC Coach of the year, won 8 games and a nice bowl win.
With a stud RB, WR, OT and a good QB that Satterfield had no part in recruiting.
Last year sucked out loud no doubt. Im willing to chalk that up to covid issues and civil unrest in the city over the Brianna Taylor mess, if you're not willing to give last year a pass then that's your option.
Agreed, last year was a wash. That does not excuse this season's languid play calling.

This year with the exception of Ole Miss we've been in position to win every game and could be 5-1 with the exact same personel and coaches. You and I don't know the exact talent level on this team because of so many young players. The coaches could be doing a hell of a job to put us in position to win.
I agree that the coaches could be doing a hell of a job, but they are not. See my original statement.

I agree whole heartedly the defensive scheme needs to change and I'm sure the coaches know its not working but maybe they know the talent better than we do and what we're running gives us our best chance to win ?
Disagree. Louisville showed that they were the better team against FSU and Virginia. It was the "turtle shell" playcalling/coaching that turned the Virginia game into a shit show and the FSU game into a near debacle.

Sounds like you are "wishing" with your ignorant comments. Some of us put more importance on thinking we are smarter than our fellow posters and others understand the difference. Perhaps you should "practice" your reading comprehension skills.

GO CARDS!!!

Well this thread has devolved quite a bit here lately. I guess a gut wrenching come from ahead loss will do that to a fan base….

So many points I could make here…. In my opinion, everyone who has commented in this thread is a good loyal Cards fan, and we all essentially want the same thing: a UofL football program that competes for and wins championships. The current debate is how best to accomplish that goal.

Many of you may remember the many arguments we had during the 2015 season. There was so much angst, anguish and harsh words over the three way QB controversy between the hometown hero (Reggie Bonnafon), the more veteran Kentucky native Kyle Bolin (hero of the 2014 UK game), and a very raw but talented freshman from Florida, Lamar Jackson.

The current situation reminds me of that one - at least in the sense that it wasn’t at all clear what the correct choice was. It was certainly true that all three of those QBs were young and would have improved given the opportunity to play.

But I did think then (as I do now), that we are in a period of transition. Lamar appeared to have the most potential of all three, so I was supportive of the decision to play him and accept the short term rollercoaster that his inexperience would cause. Similarly, I like the potential with this young team, and I like the idea of being supportive of this coaching staff as they attempt to rebuild this roster. I think that it can eventually compete for ACC championships.

BUT I am also mindful that the correct path is very debatable at this point. With that thought foremost in my mind, it’s a lot easier to be respectful of others who express an opinion that is different from mine.

Reactions: Mayoman and SoulSr
Eo6Ub15XYAU2dWD

Soon after his apology letter to the fans, I said at the time he needed to win big next year. Here we are. He's not doing that. So, on the heels of lying to everyone, then getting caught, he isn't just losing games, he's blowing them. Grossly unprepared for Ole Miss, tried to blow the FSU game, and completely blew the UVA game. He's proven he wants to be somewhere else. Let's help him out in that regard.

Yeah that Petrino won 2 games with.
What an asinine comment on multiple levels. Everyone knows pertinos team gave up; their problems were not due to lack of talent. And since when is that abortion of a season a measuring stick?

Reactions: CardX
Sounds like you are "wishing" with your ignorant comments. Some of us put more importance on thinking we are smarter than our fellow posters and others understand the difference. Perhaps you should "practice" your reading comprehension skills.

GO CARDS!!!
I'll gladly eat crow if Louisville can go 7-5 and beat Kentucky. Will you do the same when UK embarrasses the Cards again and leaves then with a losing record?

What an asinine comment on multiple levels. Everyone knows pertinos team gave up; their problems were not due to lack of talent. And since when is that abortion of a season a measuring stick?
About the type comment I would expect coming from the guy that also called the coach a "dumb bastard" You seem like an angry unhappy guy. Don't let the on field performance of a bunch of 19 - 20 year old athletes have such an impact on your life..

Well this thread has devolved quite a bit here lately. I guess a gut wrenching come from ahead loss will do that to a fan base….

So many points I could make here…. In my opinion, everyone who has commented in this thread is a good loyal Cards fan, and we all essentially want the same thing: a UofL football program that competes for and wins championships. The current debate is how best to accomplish that goal.

Many of you may remember the many arguments we had during the 2015 season. There was so much angst, anguish and harsh words over the three way QB controversy between the hometown hero (Reggie Bonnafon), the more veteran Kentucky native Kyle Bolin (hero of the 2014 UK game), and a very raw but talented freshman from Florida, Lamar Jackson.

The current situation reminds me of that one - at least in the sense that it wasn’t at all clear what the correct choice was. It was certainly true that all three of those QBs were young and would have improved given the opportunity to play.

But I did think then (as I do now), that we are in a period of transition. Lamar appeared to have the most potential of all three, so I was supportive of the decision to play him and accept the short term rollercoaster that his inexperience would cause. Similarly, I like the potential with this young team, and I like the idea of being supportive of this coaching staff as they attempt to rebuild this roster. I think that it can eventually compete for ACC championships.

BUT I am also mindful that the correct path is very debatable at this point. With that thought foremost in my mind, it’s a lot easier to be respectful of others who express an opinion that is different from mine.
TY Pushup for your well stated and thought out sentiments. I am sorry that more UofL fans are not in alignment with you. The support is getting harder to sustain...but sustain and build we must. Good to see you posting again.

Reactions: gocds and PushupMan
I choose to be patient at this point.

UofL’s financials were a problem before the pandemic due to many well documented issues, including Petrino’s $14 million buyout. Then you go through a year like last where one of UofL’s best assets (fan support) is essentially nullified, creating even more red ink.

With UofL’s financial status in mind, Satterfield’s 15-15 UofL record at this point does not scream “urgent action required” to me - no matter how many close games he loses to ACC opponents.

I choose to be patient at this point.

UofL’s financials were a problem before the pandemic due to many well documented issues, including Petrino’s $14 million buyout. Then you go through a year like last where one of UofL’s best assets (fan support) is essentially nullified, creating even more red ink.

With UofL’s financial status in mind, Satterfield’s 15-15 UofL record at this point does not scream “urgent action required” to me - no matter how many close games he loses to ACC opponents.
Wise words Pushup.. We have a very impatient fanbase. I suspect the success of the death star to the East of Louisville has a lot to do with that. Little Brother Syndrome.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
About the type comment I would expect coming from the guy that also called the coach a "dumb bastard" You seem like an angry unhappy guy. Don't let the on field performance of a bunch of 19 - 20 year old athletes have such an impact on your life..
It's the same, straw man argument, every time. You can't call out bad coaching and poor decisions by the staff w/o being labeled a fairweather fan, an disloyal fan, a "kentucky" fan, or incur the deflective arguments such as "who cares what a bunch of 19 year old do?" Every time, w/o fail. All of which just further illustrates that you can not refute a single argument I have made, and that's why you're nitpicking on nomenclature and not substance.

Do I seem unhappy? Are you the happy guy? Does it make you happy to see the Cards lose games they shouldn't? Are you ecstatic that our coaches refuse to learn from their mistakes? I guess this makes you the BIGGER fan and the BIGGER man. Kudos.

All of which just further illustrates that you can not refute a single argument I have made, and that's why you're nitpicking on nomenclature and not substance.
I already said I'm not happy with the defensive scheme or the conservative play calling when we get a lead. The difference is I'm willing to give the guy the time to make changes to get it right. You're ready to jump off a cliff if we don't faaar the "dumb bastard" your words not mine.

Wise words Pushup.. We have a very impatient fanbase. I suspect the success of the death star to the East of Louisville has a lot to do with that. Little Brother Syndrome.
Every fan base is impatient. We are used to winning, however. Satt isn’t doing that. Regarding UK, what they are doing has no impact on me not liking a coach who doesn’t want to be here, and, who can’t win. Not only can’t win, but blows games. The fact UK is on your mind tells me all I need to know.

Eo6Ub15XYAU2dWD

Soon after his apology letter to the fans, I said at the time he needed to win big next year. Here we are. He's not doing that. So, on the heels of lying to everyone, then getting caught, he isn't just losing games, he's blowing them. Grossly unprepared for Ole Miss, tried to blow the FSU game, and completely blew the UVA game. He's proven he wants to be somewhere else. Let's help him out in that regard.
I’m not sure I thought that’s where we were going when I first open the post.

Every fan base is impatient. We are used to winning, however. Satt isn’t doing that. Regarding UK, what they are doing has no impact on me not liking a coach who doesn’t want to be here, and, who can’t win. Not only can’t win, but blows games. The fact UK is on your mind tells me all I need to know.
😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Cardiac Red , think you got it too. Pretty sure Sound. Slave is Zipp. Gold member since 2019 with 500 posts and about 10 on this thread alone? IN BEFORE THE LOCK!!! Also glad to see pushup man posting again.

Last edited:
Cardiac Red , think you got it too. Pretty sure Sound. Slave is Zipp. Gold member since 2019 with 500 posts and about 10 on this thread alone? IN BEFORE THE LOCK!!! Also glad to see pushup man posting again.
I can vouch for Sound Slave. He’s zipp? LOL.

Reactions: Sound.Slave
Alright, it's time to lay it down (as Ratt once philosophized). Who here wants to FARRRR that sonofabeyitch now?
It doesn’t make sense to fire a coach in mid season. I have given him a C- up till now and that might be generous. As I said before, I look for signs of improvement from game to game and whether mistakes, issues have been corrected. We got a bye week. If we come up flat and the offensive play calling and defensive presence (not necessarily the scheme) hasn’t changed, I don’t think it ever will, at least fast enough to salvage the season.

NIL changes things somewhat … at least some of that corporate money that used to go to pacifying impatient fan bases by “Farr-ing that sumbeyatch” and “harr-ing that next sumbeyatch to be Farr-ed” now needs to pay for players.

We’re all going to have to be less impatient these days, unless you want that next guy not to be able to sign the players he needs to be successful. Less $$ for fired coaches means more $$ for NIL deals.

And having now written that, the move by Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC makes complete sense.

It doesn’t make sense to fire a coach in mid season. I have given him a C- up till now and that might be generous. As I said before, I look for signs of improvement from game to game and whether mistakes, issues have been corrected. We got a bye week. If we come up flat and the offensive play calling and defensive presence (not necessarily the scheme) hasn’t changed, I don’t think it ever will, at least fast enough to salvage the season.
Good coaching that corrects mistakes and a team that improves as the season goes on is more difficult to judge with a young roster. That’s especially true in a conference where every program takes the sport seriously.

As the season goes on, the injuries pile up and players with very little experience are forced to play. They will make the mistakes you expected to be corrected and would have been corrected had their more veteran teammate not been injured. And because the other team takes the sport seriously, they have smart coaches and talented players who can take advantage of those mistakes.

Clausen and Mendenhall have been at their programs a lot longer and have had much more time to build an experienced roster. Yet we nearly beat them both. I consider that a very promising sign for what this team can do in the future.

The method you use to judge the coaching skill is valid ..: I just don’t see it as applicable at this point in the transitional roster rebuild. That’s where some patience is required… your method will be much more applicable next season.

Reactions: gocds
As much as I would like a new coach, I'm not a proponent for firing him mid season. Three years is the bench mark. He hasn't delivered. I know, covid. Doesn't matter. He changed the rules after interviewing with South Carolina, nullifying the covid excuse.

Anytime you FARRR that sonofabeyitch, you better have a strong plan for a likely successor. It's one thing to FARRR a sonofabeyitch and have a great hire lined up through back channels or whatever - but it's another to FARRR that sonofabeyitch and hire the metaphorical Tom Crean. I heard Nick Coffey say this morning that 20-something coaches were hired in the year of Satterfield's hire, and all of them but 4 are in hot water right now.

I read/heard that Louisville has like 70 freshmen on this year's roster, and we know there are barely any seniors starting. Barring a collapse, I say let this season play out and see hat happens next season. I think we'd all feel a lot better if Louisville had won one of the WF or UVA games, with a 7-5 finish looking likely - even though all of these games are being decided at the end and could have gone either way - hence the 3-3 record.

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
Anytime you FARRR that sonofabeyitch, you better have a strong plan for a likely successor. It's one thing to FARRR a sonofabeyitch and have a great hire lined up through back channels or whatever - but it's another to FARRR that sonofabeyitch and hire the metaphorical Tom Crean. I heard Nick Coffey say this morning that 20-something coaches were hired in the year of Satterfield's hire, and all of them but 4 are in hot water right now.

I read/heard that Louisville has like 70 freshmen on this year's roster, and we know there are barely any seniors starting. Barring a collapse, I say let this season play out and see hat happens next season. I think we'd all feel a lot better if Louisville had won one of the WF or UVA games, with a 7-5 finish looking likely - even though all of these games are being decided at the end and could have gone either way - hence the 3-3 record.
With all due respect, I don’t necessarily agree with the fact that you have to have somebody already in mind. Coaching is dynamic and just as you pointed out 16 coaches are not living up to expectations? Just like when we wondered who would replace Pitino, there are a ton of coaches who would the opportunity to coach here. Mack was one of them. The bigger question is whether they are the right fit. I think the jury is still out on Satterfield. He recruited Conley and yet we are still playing behind a Petrino player (I definitely think it’s the right decision) but who’s next.

With all due respect, I don’t necessarily agree with the fact that you have to have somebody already in mind. Coaching is dynamic and just as you pointed out 16 coaches are not living up to expectations? Just like when we wondered who would replace Pitino, there are a ton of coaches who would the opportunity to coach here. Mack was one of them. The bigger question is whether they are the right fit. I think the jury is still out on Satterfield. He recruited Conley and yet we are still playing behind a Petrino player (I definitely think it’s the right decision) but who’s next.
The jury is still out on who replaced RP too.

On one hand I can understand what you are saying. There have been some real head scratchers as far as play calling.

I will never understand why SS schemed Malik out of the offense against VA. It makes no sense at all why he forced Malik to pass from the pocket instead of actually using him to make VA respect it.

In his first year, SS was aggressive on all 4 quarters, the last year and this year he gets a 7 point lead and calls the game like he is up by 21.

He allowed the recruitment of undersized players on the oline and dline. As a whole much of our team is undersized. The size of the athletes he recruits are along the same lines as he recruited for ASU, imo that's a problem. I think maybe he has learned from it and will start looking for more "normal sized" recruits.

There are 70ish freshmen on our roster that will all be sophs next season. There will be the 2022 class behind them. That will make approximately 80% of the roster sophs and freshmen.

This will be a young team until the 2023 season, BUT, will the upperclassmen be the size and caliber of athlete needed to be a serious competitor in the ACC? When I watch us play I can't help but notice how small some of the players are compared to other teams.

BB schemes the defense like he has a dline the size of bama's.

The DBs are undersized and the LBs are either a step slow or undersized....

On offense we are doing ok, the Oline looks good so far but they haven't played a team with a dominant dline so we really don't have a complete picture of the unit yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sound.Slave
I'd also bring up some Charlie facts as we look at his time with revisionist history. Lets not forget he was playing in a much easier conference when he got started and his first recruiting class didn't have the December Early signing deadline. Much easier for him to get talent. Not to mention, Krag didn't have amazing talent but the roster was balanced and not terrible, just poorly coached.

Remember Charlie in year 2? Barely beat Murray State and then lost to FIU before we had that win against sUcKs? We still had a loss to Marshall as well. But Teddy got it right and once Charlie got his team in it looked good. He was also lucky to be in a conference where he could lose to Syracuse and UConn and somehow get a tiebreaker for a BCS Bowl. Charlie's early tenure wasn't at all what you remember. By year 3, he had 3 full classes of recruits playing against a weaker schedule.

I'd also bring up some Charlie facts as we look at his time with revisionist history. Lets not forget he was playing in a much easier conference when he got started and his first recruiting class didn't have the December Early signing deadline. Much easier for him to get talent. Not to mention, Krag didn't have amazing talent but the roster was balanced and not terrible, just poorly coached.

Remember Charlie in year 2? Barely beat Murray State and then lost to FIU before we had that win against sUcKs? We still had a loss to Marshall as well. But Teddy got it right and once Charlie got his team in it looked good. He was also lucky to be in a conference where he could lose to Syracuse and UConn and somehow get a tiebreaker for a BCS Bowl. Charlie's early tenure wasn't at all what you remember. By year 3, he had 3 full classes of recruits playing against a weaker schedule.

Charlie's 1st year was a very experienced team (all bad experience - lmao). IIRC, when Jurich FARRRR'd that sonofabeyitch, one of Krag's rebuttals was how experienced the team would be the following year, and how they were turning the corner. I am pretty certain of that memory although as I sit here today I don't have a link to reference.

That 2nd year, his team was YOUNG, and the inconsistent play showed it. I was at the big Teddy win over WVU when he was a freshman. There were 17 freshmen that started/had significant playing time. Again from memory, but a strong one (no pun intended). That class was retro-graded after the fact as the #5 class in the nation. Imagine that first Petrino team, loaded defense of NFL guys, Teddy at QB - that could have changed the entire trajectory of Petrino 2.0. Or maybe not - but fun to think about it.

Right on - we don't always have to agree as fans. If you have a Petrino 2.0-esque collapse, I agree with you - you gotta FARRR that sonofabeyitch. If things are stagnate or we're still in wait & see mode, then I think you need to know your successor if you're going to fire the guy - generally speaking.

Charlie's 1st year was a very experienced team (all bad experience - lmao). IIRC, when Jurich FARRRR'd that sonofabeyitch, one of Krag's rebuttals was how experienced the team would be the following year, and how they were turning the corner. I am pretty certain of that memory although as I sit here today I don't have a link to reference.

That 2nd year, his team was YOUNG, and the inconsistent play showed it. I was at the big Teddy win over WVU when he was a freshman. There were 17 freshmen that started/had significant playing time. Again from memory, but a strong one (no pun intended). That class was retro-graded after the fact as the #5 class in the nation. Imagine that first Petrino team, loaded defense of NFL guys, Teddy at QB - that could have changed the entire trajectory of Petrino 2.0. Or maybe not - but fun to think about it.
Hunger is good at a place like this. The key now is to find a guy that's good enough to want to stay, but maybe not good enough to get attention from the elite programs. Remember, we lost Howard to Oklahoma & John L Smith to Michigan State when we were a mid-major. Bobby Petrino went to the NFL after being courted by programs like Auburn. Charlie went to Texas after interest from Tennessee. I think being in the ACC now, if we're successful we can pay/support a guy where they're happy enough to not leave for like a Nebraska level. We were a "stepping stone" but be real, our guys were so good that they went to the ELITE jobs/programs.

Petrino's worst quality of wanting another job was his worst quality. His motivation to win and keep moving up drove him to success. He'd gotten close at Arkansas, but lost it all. He wanted back in coaching so bad that he wanted any job. It is true that he wanted the sUcKs job but settled for WKU. He seemed to have changed and we got him back. Something was different about him though, we could all tell. After 4 years and that 2016 team, he still never got a call from programs like Tennessee where he did want to go. I think he saw a ceiling here and just cut out. The guy didn't care about building something here, he cared about his brand. It's why things fell apart both times he left and when he left Arkansas.

Charlie built something that could last. He made the campsite better than the one he found. It took time, but he got the recruits in and made the culture about UofL rather the Charlie Strong. He left for Texas, but honestly Texas is a job that it's impossible to turn down in this sport unless you're at a certain stature. I mean he even turned down UT. But like Charlie, you saw at USF he knew he was done and didn't have that hunger anymore.

Scott is young and hungry. He's made some questionable decisions in games & idk if he can get us to the top of the ACC, but he's building a program. The last 2 groups of recruits look like they're going to be great the next 2-3 years. The guys are positive in the program and he's teaching them to be student athletes as well. Some things like that are important to see. There's great effort and you aren't seeing off-field issues. Guys are getting better.

Even at a 5-7 finish, if we bring back most everyone next year you'd have to feel good about the team being able to go to 8-4 or something. A 5-7 team with youth that lost some close games is a team that will be battle tested and experienced in 2022 and 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT