ADVERTISEMENT

Huge opportunity at NCST for these Lady Cards tonite

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
This is one of those games where UL has a chance to make a major statement as to who wins the ACC championship. It is the first of several games where UL will be up against ACC opponents with aspirations for the same championship.

UL will be the prohibitive underdog, as NCST is both talented and well-coached, and playing at home makes for a very difficult challenge. ACC officiating has been horrible everywhere, but even more frustrating is the advantage the home team enjoys, particularly in the second half at the FT line.

The earlier loss at UConn was disappointing, but it may very well serve as a positive for UL at NCST. UL played the Huskies pretty close to even in the first half, before the crowd, the officials and admittedly the very athletic UConn players overwhelmed the Cards in the second half. The crowd and the officials played a huge part in that 2nd half, as most of the Husky advantage at the FT line took place in the 2nd half.

Our experienced senior transfers, along with Cochran should be better prepared this evening for the adversarial conditions they will experience.

This is one of those games where UL has a chance to make a major statement as to who wins the ACC championship. It is the first of several games where UL will be up against ACC opponents with aspirations for the same championship.

UL will be the prohibitive underdog, as NCST is both talented and well-coached, and playing at home makes for a very difficult challenge. ACC officiating has been horrible everywhere, but even more frustrating is the advantage the home team enjoys, particularly in the second half at the FT line.

The earlier loss at UConn was disappointing, but it may very well serve as a positive for UL at NCST. UL played the Huskies pretty close to even in the first half, before the crowd, the officials and admittedly the very athletic UConn players overwhelmed the Cards in the second half. The crowd and the officials played a huge part in that 2nd half, as most of the Husky advantage at the FT line took place in the 2nd half.

Our experienced senior transfers, along with Cochran should be better prepared this evening for the adversarial conditions they will experience.
I have thought about this game a lot. For all the reasons you list, it will be almost a bridge too far. I agree with you that the noise from the home crowd in the 2nd half will probably lead to a Cardinal breakdown. Aided by the officiating which will simply get more criminal as the game progresses.

It is very tough to win a Tobacco Road road game against a great opponent.

But stranger things have happened.

Fouls and FT shooting will tell the tale.

Reactions: 2330859
The recent women’s games I have watched lately things have gotten very physical. It is worse than before you can knock players off their feet and there is no call. If you do a touch it is called a foul at the other end. Notre Dame beat UConn at UConn because they were allowed to play really physical.
This game worries me for several reasons and number one it seems as though UNCST has our number and their coach has CJW number. The fact that this is a home game for them also makes it hard.
I don’t worry about our offense we have a lot of scorers on this team. To win this game defense has to play really hard. We also need to out rebound them.

I don’t know why we have so much trouble shutting down the best players on our opponents but we do. Sania Rivers will be hard to stop because she can shoot the outside shot and drive to the basket and create. This is the first game of a very hard schedule to end our season. We need to win some games against ranked teams to improve our seeding in the tournament.

Offensively we are playing really good but so are they. In order to win this game we are going to have to do better rebounding.

The last NCST 3 was a gift from the officials; as the one NCST player pushed our defender with the screen and of course no call.

We have to do better rebounding because they are killing us on 2nd chance points. Down by 6 at the end of the 1st quarter.

NCST is driving my on easy layups, this is going to get ugly if the girls don’t play defense. I did not see this sort of defensive effort coming.

they certainly have shooters. We have to stop the offensive rebounds for NCST.

Down by 14 we can’t get any rebounds at either end of the court. Right now they are schooling and getting open layups.

Reactions: Bardman
NCST is not missing and UofL cannot buy a basket. Down 19…🤮

Unfortunately NCST is on fire and they are just plain and simply kicking our team’s azz.

Reactions: rh62531
We can’t get any rebounds at either end of the court and State is taking advantage of it. This is a game that I can’t see us winning. I just hope we come out after halftime and play hard and not quit.

Refs are letting NCST get away with TONS of body contact.

I'd like to know what coaches actually tell these players on how to defend. See it just as much with the women as the men dropping down into the paint leaving shooters wide open.

We haven’t really done a good job all year defending the 3. We had a good 3rd quarter and cut State’s lead in half. Let’s hope that the 4th quarter is just as good. There were a couple of times we made the shot and got bumped but no call.

No way that was a charge. That girl was moving. I don't know how any team makes a big comeback with the horrible officiating in women's basketball.

Reactions: Bardman
Really good foul by Rikards she stopped the easy layup and they miss both free throws

Hate to borrow from KP's favorite word but I like the fight in these girls. Just need a consistent knock down shooter.

Great comeback in the 2d half. Whether they win or not they have shown grit and heart. Not really sure what is going on with the rebounding the last couple of games but it has not been good. Lastly, you just cannot miss simple layups. Olivia had a wide open layup and just bricked it.

Hate to borrow from KP's favorite word but I like the fight in these girls. Just need a consistent knock down shooter.
Really thought that was going to be Taylor and she just has not gotten on track.

Another thing I don't get is why players are always trying to trap someone before they pick up their dribble. it always ends up with an open shot. Stay on your frickin man.

We played the worst I have seen all year in the first half but worked hard and made a great effort to comeback but fell short. We got killed on the boards we have to do better down the stretch or we could end up losing those games. Notre Dame wore UConn out at UConn because of rebounding.

Especially in first half, defense was weak. You cannot allow open threes, poor defensive rebounding, and easy layups.
Early in third quarter, we had one assist for the game.

When we cut the lead down to 6 with possession, I had hoped we could get a good look …..and we did, but Curry missed so many point blank shots that it was evident the turnaround was too little too late.

I do love the fact the girls did not quit, and it had to be frustrating with the poor officiating. I saw this same thing at UConn …… winning on the road is so difficult when the home team gets the calls.

I do question Walz not addressing our leaving their wings wide open for uncontested 3s in that 1st half. We did a much better job in the second half, but that one open 3 when we had the lead down to 6 was a killer.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I imagine he did address it. However, execution was/is another issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT