ADVERTISEMENT

Time to give Satterfield and these kids some credit

This program is breaking in a new QB next year with little to no game experience unless they find something in the transfer portal.

These are not good times yeah we support the players and staff...and this Cards squad does have some good young players.

Hopefully it comes together but I can't blame anybody being down on this HC given the play calling we've seen the awful 3 man pass rush that he just can't get away from and straight up choking off the last game they played against a slightly above avg at best program at home.

Overall the ACC blows so it's tough to accept where the program is right now. There are a few teams in the mid to back end of the polls only by default really. I got respect for all programs in general but the upper tier in the ACC are way down by their standards and that includes the University of Louisville.

Reactions: Sound.Slave
This program is breaking in a new QB next year with little to no game experience unless they find something in the transfer portal.

These are not good times yeah we support the players and staff...and this Cards squad does have some good young players.

Hopefully it comes together but I can't blame anybody being down on this HC given the play calling we've seen the awful 3 man pass rush that he just can't get away from and straight up choking off the last game they played against a slightly above avg at best program at home.

Overall the ACC blows so it's tough to accept where the program is right now. There are a few teams in the mid to back end of the polls only by default really. I got respect for all programs in general but the upper tier in the ACC are way down by their standards and that includes the University of Louisville.
Clemson is the only power at the moment. FSU is a power that's in decline. VT & Miami are potential contenders. Then you can throw us in with UNC, Wake, NC State, BC, UVA, & Pitt. I think it's just a lot of close teams and we're the team that's young right now. In a year, we'll be older.

Getting to Clemson's level is impossible. We won't ever compete with that similar to Bama, Ohio State, etc. The only hope we have is they have a crash period like FSU is in right now. As we saw, the year we were close to competing for a playoff spot in the ACC was when we had the best player of all-time who is dominating the NFL at this moment.

The hope for us is to be what Doren has built at NC State. Be around what Miami & VT are at the moment. Schools that are always decent and every so often have a strong year. I mean in a power conference, hovering around 6-8 wins isn't a bad thing and it means you're stable. Then 1-2 breaks go your way and you become elite. We don't have the talent level in our area to be 8-10 wins consistently. I think the quick rise we all saw confused us into thinking it was easy.

Miami & VT were national title contenders yearly in the Big East. They still recruit well and have national brands. But, what have they been since coming to the ACC where all the programs are spending money to win and there's talent on every squad?

WVU was like us in the Big East. In the Big 12 they've had 2 ranked finishes. They've gone bowling most every year. They compete weekly, but they aren't reaching that next level in a conference that's tougher. This is what we wanted. We got 2 BCS Bowls and a Heisman, so I understand that 7-8 win years aren't going to be as fun because we want the next step. But we took the next step and we're in the Power 5. We're safely established now as a power program.

The hope for us is to be what Doren has built at NC State.
This guy has one T25 finish (23) in 10 yrs. He has a pretty much slightly above avg resume in Raleigh, which is on par for what that program has been before he got there. Never a threat. He's compiled a blah winning record most years toiling in a bad conference with a lot of 7-6/8-5 range mediocre type of years and no that is not what UofL fans want.

Petrino 2.0 had two T25 finishes in 5 years and got the boot. Run outta town in a hurry. Fans saw Satterfield win 8 games and they appreciate that but they don't like what they see lately and they sure as #^#%&$ don't wanna hang around like an NC St and max out with one fringe legit team per decade, never playing at a high level.

Miami might be about to fire their HC. I don't think UofL wants to mirror that situation either.

Fans don't expect constant 9 + win seasons or some annual top 10 product. But they don't wanna be irrelevant either.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting they gave everybody that year back for COVID right?

The biggest recruiting pitch Satt is going to have will be the one to Malik. You gotta expect that he will have big NIL offers from some big-time programs - places like Oregon, LSU, etc. I’m very concerned what shakes out with that.

I keep forgetting they gave everybody that year back for COVID right?
Correct. Malik was a 2017 signee which under normal circumstances would make him a 5th year senior. But with 2020 not counting, he is a 5th year junior, with one year of eligibility to play. He has many options available to him, including staying here and playing his sixth year at UofL.

The biggest recruiting pitch Satt is going to have will be the one to Malik. You gotta expect that he will have big NIL offers from some big-time programs - places like Oregon, LSU, etc. I’m very concerned what shakes out with that.
Oregon has a stud FR backup QB. LSU has a guy out for the year that will probably come back next year?

But yeah, Malik could end up somewhere else next year. This is the game now.

That's why when people start talking about how young a team is and have some hope for future seasons I think they gotta keep in mind a program could easily lose a ton of players to the transfer portal.

Malik getting recruited by other programs shows how hard it will be to build a program in the future unless you can also win at the same time.

Keeping a coach around who isn't going to Bowls in the hopes of getting stability in the program like UK did with Stoops in his first 4 years at UK - it probably won't work in the Portal world.

If you develop any guys on your losing team, good programs will try to take them away and they'll have a strong argument. Good players won't want to stay at a program that's losing to help build its stability. Not when they can hit the Portal and go to a Bowl game.

This will be a huge test for Satterfield, one that he failed when he was unable to convince Atwell and Hawkins to finish the 2020 season. If Malik transfers, it would be an indictment of Satterfield himself.

College football of all the sports take time especially at Louisville to build. There are no quick fixes.

Louisville was always in the top tier with recruiting in their respective conferences. Hard to argue they had more talent than the most of other teams. Once they entered the ACC Petrino failed miserably in building a complete roster. Enter Satterfield he has done a good job on the offense. They have legit play makers on that side of the ball. The Oline was rebuilt. His whole issue is the defense. In today’s game you have to have a ton of depth on defense. There is no way around it.

The path forward is building the defense. Hard to argue they misevaluated the talent needed on the Dline to run their scheme. It is clearly not good enough today. The other glaring concern is player development and teaching of their scheme. Dline is not showing signs of development. Hard to tell if it is a talent issue or coaching. I tend to say talent because there is no NFL players on the line. Scheme the kids don’t know how to play zone. That is a major concern in 3 year. With that said all the contributors in the back end are new.

70 "freshmen" on this year's team. With the portal/transfers, who knows, but you'd have to think the 2024 team will be loaded in terms of experience and depth. Sprinkle in some younger play makers at the skill positions, that could be one heck of a team.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
70 "freshmen" on this year's team. With the portal/transfers, who knows, but you'd have to think the 2024 team will be loaded in terms of experience and depth. Sprinkle in some younger play makers at the skill positions, that could be one heck of a team.
And Scott's guys look well-coached. In-experience is hurting us now, but you can see our guys play hard and do it the right way. I would expect a very well-balanced team in the next 2 years. QB play will be the ???

We have to hit the portal hard this offseason if Malik leaves.

Reactions: Mayoman
And Scott's guys look well-coached. In-experience is hurting us now, but you can see our guys play hard and do it the right way. I would expect a very well-balanced team in the next 2 years. QB play will be the ???

We have to hit the portal hard this offseason if Malik leaves.

I blame the late game collapses on overly-conservative play calling and not youth, but yes otherwise I agree. These guys never give up, even when getting boatraced by Ole Miss they played hard through the 2nd half.

I'd plan on Malik leaving. A 6th year guy with his talents will transfer to a program in the discussion for the CFP and I would not blame him at all for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT