ADVERTISEMENT

Time to give Satterfield and these kids some credit

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Aside from the one error in judgement by Scott pursuing the So Carolina job, it is time to acknowledge that Satterfield and his staff have done an exceptional job overcoming a myriad of obstacles. As Pushup noted in a previous thread, this roster is only mildly talented in comparison to our competition, particularly when examining our recruiting classes in terms of the offer list of our signees. Satterfield inherited a program that was not only depleted by Petrino’s staff, but victimized by its years of neglecting our local HS coaches and player recruiting, which opened up the door for the Brohm family and Stoops to attract the level of talent that we enjoyed in past decades.

Despite all of this, Satterfield and his staff have but put together a team that is performing much better than its talent level would suggest, specifically when using recruit rankings as the model for judging potential talent. This is the youngest UL football team in my memory, as I see only 2 senior starters on our 22 man depth chart, and several walk-ons contributing. There are so many underclassmen identified in our first and second team depth chart, that it looks like we may very well qualify as the “youngest” team in all of D1 college football?

Already having lost 2 players due to season ending injuries, there are several underclassmen stepping in to fill the vacancy. Its not just sophomores and Juniors, but primarily RS and true Freshmen getting some of these quality snaps. While I believe this team is not done with accomplishing some major goals this season; it is quite possible to see 2022 as an ACC favorite. I doubt anyone preseason was projecting Malik as a NFL draftee, but if he continues to perform at this level, it is possible he might leave early; conversely, he could also return next year as a legitimate candidate for Heisman.

Outstanding post, 233. I agree completely that Satterfield and Bryan Brown deserve a lot of credit for the development of this young team on the field this year. We are starting to see several playmakers emerge at the wide receiver spots, which is giving us good balance and making us difficult to defend. The improvement each week has been very noticeable.

In the age of COVID, a player can have one year of experience and still be a freshman, so it’s difficult to determine just how young one team is compared to any other. You’d have to dig through details on each player to determine actual experience.

We did have a few “super seniors” decide to transfer elsewhere - Jawon Pass and Russ Yeast being the most notable examples. Schools that were the most successful at keeping their veteran players from transferring (like Wake Forest) are reaping big rewards on the field this year.

At the time CSS had wondering eyes going back to Carolina territory, and during the upheaval on many fronts here, I understood his doubts.
Digging in and helping Louisville get itself out of the gutter is really in his best interest for his future down the road. IMO, that's what he is doing.

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
I agree, 2023 should be a breakout year if the same pattern continues.

Scott is also creating a reputation that all positions are always open, he created a "if you earn it, it's yours" culture. I think that pays big dividends down the road.

Reactions: Mayoman
He's doing about how I expected this year. He's being paid big money to win games and it's year 3. He gets credit for navigating a tough situation he inherited with the roster, but he's doing what he's supposed to do. Go out and beat Virginia and then we can start feeling good.

He's doing about how I expected this year. He's being paid big money to win games and it's year 3. He gets credit for navigating a tough situation he inherited with the roster, but he's doing what he's supposed to do. Go out and beat Virginia and then we can start feeling good.
I guess I have a higher ceiling. Upset Clemson who’s in a down year or beat UK and stop the streak. Either would be acceptable.

A lot of football to be played before we get to Clemson or Kentucky; I still play’em one at a time. Clemson may have played its way out of the top 25, but make no mistake they are still very talented in most positions. UK is at 5-0 with a #16 ranking and likely to be favored over LSU.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
Cunningham remaining healthy and making great decisions will give us a chance in every game. The reality check is that our defense is 96th against the run, 110th against the pass and 108th overall. I will be pleased to get these 3: Virginia, Syracuse, @Duke. Getting any of the UK, Clemson, BC or @NCSt would be a great achievement for this team.

Reactions: Guardman
I sometimes wish Malik wouldn’t sacrifice his body in so many situations. Then I wonder, what would the results be if he didn’t. But I recall feeling the same about LJ.

The performance against Ole Miss was inexcusable. It’s fine the Rebels are better, have more talent. The team that day reminded me of Petrino 2018. I’m glad the team is trending more favorably, but that Ole Miss game really sticks in my craw.

The performance against Ole Miss was inexcusable. It’s fine the Rebels are better, have more talent. The team that day reminded me of Petrino 2018. I’m glad the team is trending more favorably, but that Ole Miss game really sticks in my craw.
You have to move on and get past that loss. We've played several games since and the majority of us feel the same way as you but we've moved on.

GO CARDS!!!

No Tutu and no Dez meant you stop Louisville’s running game and dare UofL to beat you with the pass. Ole Miss did just that extremely well, for a half anyway. I’m sure the young guys could make plays in practice - there was just some of what Coach Crum always called “game slippage” when those bright lights came on.

After the first two games played out, I do wish we’d been able to switch the order. The receivers started making some nice plays in that EKU game. I’m convinced that we would have been more competitive from the start if we’d had a game under our belts.

But unfortunately, we don’t get the luxury of a re-do.

And several of the players admitted when the lights came on they were a little overwhelmed in the Ole Miss game. Good thing is they overcame that rather quickly. Going 4-2 for the first half would be wonderful!

Good post numbers agree with all your points. Also agree with Pushup that had we been able to play the EKU game prior to Ole Miss things would've been different.

Overall I'm pleased with the season so far. We would be 4-1 if not for some horrible officiating at Wake.

Baring anymore injuries I think we get 8 wins possibly 9.

Reactions: gocds
I really like a whole lot about this football team. I cannot imagine where we would be right now if we had the level of talent that we have enjoyed in years past. Say whatever you want about Satterfield and this staff; they clearly “coach em up”!!!

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
I really like a whole lot about this football team. I cannot imagine where we would be right now if we had the level of talent that we have enjoyed in years past. Say whatever you want about Satterfield and this staff; they clearly “coach em up”!!!
Care to revise your statement?

Reactions: TDredbird and Deeva
I most certainly hope not. WTH, based on one game!?!

GO CARDS!!!
One game? Where the hell you been? Satterfield put away his best weapon and allowed the other team to take advantage of it. I mean Satterfield knows his pass defense is not very good and Virginia's strength is its passing game.

But he still took the keys away from Malik and we all so this time that will cost the Cards. It's like the FSU game never happened to him.

I'm sorry but the man is not a power conference head coach. He could have crushed Virginia's spirit with another 80 yard drive for a TD after the Cavaliers got within 10 points with 11 minutes to go. Instead, he played not to lose.

And guess what??

I will agree with Pushup and 233059 on a couple of points. I think Satterfield and Co. have done a decent job of player development. They have taken an average ACC team and gotten a lot out of them. They have also done a good job of building back the roster after it was decimated by Bobby.

For the most part Satterfield and Brown can call a good game. However, what has cost this team this year and I would argue most of last year is they get way to conservative. As soon as we get a lead or play a big time foe the coaches get conservative.

Today we played not lose in the 4th. Against Ole Miss they were so worried about protecting the defense from getting beat deep our DBs were 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage. On offense we were determined to run the ball to eat up clock, and never really attacked until the game was over. I could go on and on.

Then we have Satterfield's obsession with recruiting undersized players. That's beginning to change, but his first 2 classes were pretty small.

Satterfield is in year 3. Usually this is when you really start to judge a coach because he has mostly his players. I'll give hm a covid pass. So , next year will be his year 3. He'll have 4 recruiting classes and a ton of returning players. Honestly, I don't see much changing. I think we will be an average to just above average ACC team.

I think Satterfield can turn things around and play his brand of football, but in order to do so he'll have to recruit at a much higher level. He'll also have to recruit more size as well. We shall see.

Reactions: Mayoman
No X, I stand by my original post; GOCDS, PUSHUP and I have been around UL football probably longer than most on this site and we have learned to avoid emotional meltdowns after a game, or even a season that is disappoinking.

I too thought that some of the offensive play calling in the 4th quarter was questionable, but then it must have been frustrating for Satterfield to witness the difficulty Malik had with running the football in several of those short yardage situation. I did not have access to the replays for yesterday’s game, so I cannot tell if the success that Hall enjoyed was based on the OL, or just his own abilities to read the seams and his combination of speed and power.

Allow me to clarify my OP for you X, as you obviously failed to understand the fundamental point I was trying to make. It was NOT about the wins or losses, but rather the overall performance that I have witnessed from a roster that is clearly well below the level of talent that our opponents have on the field. For reasons that predate Satterfield and this staff, this team is relying on walk-ones, Division I, II & III transfers and more 2 & 3 Star recruits with offer sheets that were filled with FCS than one would expect when compared to other UL rosters.

More simply stated; Satterfield is competing against a higher level of talent, and in the case of both WF and UVA; against more senior experience and leadership. You, and so many other UL fans come on this board and express your anger over losses without any true understanding of what we have on the field. Cunningham is truly talented, and UVA‘s defensive game plan was to not allow Malik to get outside containment, and conversely on the offensive side they exploited our secondary that is not yet at the level of most D1 football teams.

I was just as disappointed as you with these two losses, but I am also realistic about where this roster is right now. If Satterfield can keep these same kids here next year, we may still not have as much overall talent as our opponents, but we will be significantly more experienced and I expect we will have a lot more success against these same opponents. Our corners and safeties are woefully inexperienced against D1 talented receivers and TEs., and are struggling with their coverage; something that is improving, but will take more game experience before we can expect improvement.

No X, I stand by my original post; GOCDS, PUSHUP and I have been around UL football probably longer than most on this site and we have learned to avoid emotional meltdowns after a game, or even a season that is disappoinking.

I too thought that some of the offensive play calling in the 4th quarter was questionable, but then it must have been frustrating for Satterfield to witness the difficulty Malik had with running the football in several of those short yardage situation. I did not have access to the replays for yesterday’s game, so I cannot tell if the success that Hall enjoyed was based on the OL, or just his own abilities to read the seams and his combination of speed and power.

Allow me to clarify my OP for you X, as you obviously failed to understand the fundamental point I was trying to make. It was NOT about the wins or losses, but rather the overall performance that I have witnessed from a roster that is clearly well below the level of talent that our opponents have on the field. For reasons that predate Satterfield and this staff, this team is relying on walk-ones, Division I, II & III transfers and more 2 & 3 Star recruits with offer sheets that were filled with FCS than one would expect when compared to other UL rosters.

More simply stated; Satterfield is competing against a higher level of talent, and in the case of both WF and UVA; against more senior experience and leadership. You, and so many other UL fans come on this board and express your anger over losses without any true understanding of what we have on the field. Cunningham is truly talented, and UVA‘s defensive game plan was to not allow Malik to get outside containment, and conversely on the offensive side they exploited our secondary that is not yet at the level of most D1 football teams.

I was just as disappointed as you with these two losses, but I am also realistic about where this roster is right now. If Satterfield can keep these same kids here next year, we may still not have as much overall talent as our opponents, but we will be significantly more experienced and I expect we will have a lot more success against these same opponents. Our corners and safeties are woefully inexperienced against D1 talented receivers and TEs., and are struggling with their coverage; something that is improving, but will take more game experience before we can expect improvement.
This is mainly BS and just a lot of excuses. Two weeks ago we were saying Clark was the best shutdown DB since Jaire? We got talent at RB with Mitchell, Cooley and Hall. Hall is finally healthy and showed what he could do. Virginia just knew Satterfield loves the running game and was content they could overcome using the pass. Hell, if the game result was 30-13, you would have been pounding your chest about us going 9-3. Face it the defensive scheme is bad and Satterfield is too conservative and will never change regardless how many big players he recruits. Just because you “watched” countless U of L games doesn’t convince me you know how to judge talent. When we lose it’s because we don’t have enough. Maybe that’s true of everybody except Bama.

This is mainly BS and just a lot of excuses. Two weeks ago we were saying Clark was the best shutdown DB since Jaire? We got talent at RB with Mitchell, Cooley and Hall. Hall is finally healthy and showed what he could do. Virginia just knew Satterfield loves the running game and was content they could overcome using the pass. Hell, if the game result was 30-13, you would have been pounding your chest about us going 9-3. Face it the defensive scheme is bad and Satterfield is too conservative and will never change regardless how many big players he recruits. Just because you “watched” countless U of L games doesn’t convince me you know how to judge talent. When we lose it’s because we don’t have enough. Maybe that’s true of everybody except Bama.
Never is a long long time. Smart coaches evolve (change) over time. Unless you are saying that CSS is not smart enough to discern the obvious from his teams failure to win.

Speaking in absolutes (NEVER) has a way of making the speaker look rather foolish when change in fact does happen. How do you explain that and not appear dumb in the process? Life is too short to live in absolutes absolutely.

Too say CSS does not want to win is dubious at best and ignorant at least. Which is your stance?

He will adapt or get fired for lack of wins. Time will tell. I'm betting he woes not want to get fired.

Too many on here are bi-polar. I get into meltdown mode when it’s appropriate. Others here buy into “Well we’re easily 10-2 material and could give Clemson a run for their money” and then when the letdown happens they immediately want to blame everyone.

I remember the big post I had in 2017 at the end of the year. I sounded the alarm about how things had slipped under Bobby and I was worried about 2018. I didn’t think 2-10, but I saw signs. But no, we were fine and I’m crazy to think it, until it came apart.

All off-season I wasn’t sold on beating Ole Miss. We all knew there was a talent gap, but our fans just believed guys were automatically good because they have a Louisville jersey. Then Ole Miss did what they were supposed to and we melted down.

We aren’t close to Ole Miss and we’re on the same level as Wake, UCF, UVA, etc type teams. We can’t just go from 2-10 and a 2019 class with no real commits to being the clear #2 in the ACC. We lost Tutu and Dez. Scott only has the freshman and sophomores that are his guys as he lost a year of recruiting.

No one realizes that this ain’t CUSA or AAC football. You can’t just rebuild in 1-2 years. As good as we think we are, we’re in a division with a bunch of other talented programs too. It’s not easy.

Now is Satt great? Idk. But the meltdown is coming from the bi-polar folks that probably thought Bobby and Puma had a game plan to make Saban nervous in 2018 to start the year. We were spoiled with Teddy, Lamar, Jaire, etc because those players don’t just waltz in here every season.

Never is a long long time. Smart coaches evolve (change) over time. Unless you are saying that CSS is not smart enough to discern the obvious from his teams failure to win.

Speaking in absolutes (NEVER) has a way of making the speaker look rather foolish when change in fact does happen. How do you explain that and not appear dumb in the process? Life is too short to live in absolutes absolutely.

Too say CSS does not want to win is dubious at best and ignorant at least. Which is your stance?

He will adapt or get fired for lack of wins. Time will tell. I'm betting he woes not want to get fired.
Out of all that you picked on the word “never?” I won’t give you a dissertation but with your thinking Krapthorpe would still be coaching here and we would still be waiting for…

Out of all that you picked on the word “never?” I won’t give you a dissertation but with your thinking Krapthorpe would still be coaching here and we would still be waiting for…
Balderdash. You have no response so this is what you say. Better to keep quiet than to prove you are an idiot. You are a real peach.

Reactions: gocds
Yes, lots of butt hurt folks, including myself. Doesn’t mean you treat a fellow Cards fan with AH comments. JMO

Reactions: rh62531
NC Card: as others have already posted, you bring absolutely no contribution or value to this site. The only “BS” here, is your weak responses to mine and other posters.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
NC Card: as others have already posted, you bring absolutely no contribution or value to this site. The only “BS” here, is your weak responses to mine and other posters.
Ah, like your opinion means two shits to me. Post something smarter and we will see.

Too many on here are bi-polar. I get into meltdown mode when it’s appropriate. Others here buy into “Well we’re easily 10-2 material and could give Clemson a run for their money” and then when the letdown happens they immediately want to blame everyone.

I remember the big post I had in 2017 at the end of the year. I sounded the alarm about how things had slipped under Bobby and I was worried about 2018. I didn’t think 2-10, but I saw signs. But no, we were fine and I’m crazy to think it, until it came apart.

All off-season I wasn’t sold on beating Ole Miss. We all knew there was a talent gap, but our fans just believed guys were automatically good because they have a Louisville jersey. Then Ole Miss did what they were supposed to and we melted down.

We aren’t close to Ole Miss and we’re on the same level as Wake, UCF, UVA, etc type teams. We can’t just go from 2-10 and a 2019 class with no real commits to being the clear #2 in the ACC. We lost Tutu and Dez. Scott only has the freshman and sophomores that are his guys as he lost a year of recruiting.

No one realizes that this ain’t CUSA or AAC football. You can’t just rebuild in 1-2 years. As good as we think we are, we’re in a division with a bunch of other talented programs too. It’s not easy.

Now is Satt great? Idk. But the meltdown is coming from the bi-polar folks that probably thought Bobby and Puma had a game plan to make Saban nervous in 2018 to start the year. We were spoiled with Teddy, Lamar, Jaire, etc because those players don’t just waltz in here every season.
You hit the nail squarely on the head with that post.

Soon as we win a game or two we're world beaters, then we lose one and its let faar that sonnyabeech..

I never thought our fans would dip to the delusional level of the slapdicks, but here we are.

That play where our offensive lineman fell down inexplicably during the game vs HOUSTON was so symbolic of so many things, wasn't it? It all kind of started with that guy falling down.

That play where our offensive lineman fell down inexplicably during the game vs HOUSTON was so symbolic of so many things, wasn't it? It all kind of started with that guy falling down.

Can you believe that was 5 years ago? What a time that was in the 2016-17 athletic year.

It wasn't year of the CARDINAL, but we had the 2016 team with Lamar in the playoff chase, the basketball team was in the final Pitino year with Don Mitchell and they were solid, Baseball team in the CWS. TJ was still in charge and we felt like things were moving along smoothly.

How about, get better talent, and stop calling games/plays/schemes like a dumb bastard...? Then I'll give credit. Being 3-3 and in in his third year in the ACC(1-2 conf) is nothing to praise. I'd like to see how many of you will be pumping sunshine after Kentucky skull drags Louisville for the third time in a row.

Reactions: Williedynamite
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT