ADVERTISEMENT

TACKLE FOOTBALL (requires Tackling)

beasleythecard

Four-Star Poster
Jan 7, 2007
louisville
From pop warner league to middle and High school football, coaches stress the importance of tackling. Wrapping your man up and stopping his progress.

Here at the university of Louisville, for some reason we teach arm tackling and trying to blow a man up with an amazing hit.

Our special teams is the worst at it because they seem to want tbe big crowd pleasing hit as opposed to just stopping the return guy. It has cost us many 100 yard returns over the years.

Our defense againt Houston would penetrate the backfield and watch the running back run right past them. It happened at least 20 times...

Until our defense learns how to wrap up and stop the progress of the ball carrier, our collission course will be a dream...

The big bit philosophy being taught has us 0-2......

I don't care if Joe Montana is our starting QB, we need a defense that at least can wrap up and stop progress....

We are excellent at throwing guys forward for extra yards, hitting guys and falling as they run by, or whiffing on guys trying to get the big hit..

Someone has to teach our defense how to tackle.........

From pop warner league to middle and High school football, coaches stress the importance of tackling. Wrapping your man up and stopping his progress.

Here at the university of Louisville, for some reason we teach arm tackling and trying to blow a man up with an amazing hit.

Our special teams is the worst at it because they seem to want tbe big crowd pleasing hit as opposed to just stopping the return guy. It has cost us many 100 yard returns over the years.

Our defense againt Houston would penetrate the backfield and watch the running back run right past them. It happened at least 20 times...

Until our defense learns how to wrap up and stop the progress of the ball carrier, our collission course will be a dream...

I don't care if Joe Montana is our starting QB, we need a defense that at least can wrap up and stop progress....

We are excellent at throwing guys forward for extra yards, hitting guys and falling as they run by, or whiffing on guys trying to get the big hit..

As football becomes more and more a finesse game this is an issue for everyone. All fans are most tuned in for it when it is their players but the reality is that poor tackling is an issue almost across the board. I can assure you that U of L isn't the only team that has missed tackles. We tend to see them as broken tackles when our favorite guys are on offense and missed tackles when our favorite guys are on defense.

Reactions: beasleythecard
As football becomes more and more a finesse game this is an issue for everyone. All fans are most tuned in for it when it is their players but the reality is that poor tackling is an issue almost across the board. I can assure you that U of L isn't the only team that has missed tackles. We tend to see them as broken tackles when our favorite guys are on offense and missed tackles when our favorite guys are on defense.
I got home and just rewatched the game.
Our defense..... Louisville Grantham led defense does not tackle well. It is a fundamental problem. They are going for the big hit and missing as the guy runs by.

If someone would teach them how to wrap up and stop the progress of the runner we would field a nice defense.

It is very clear to see that it is our team as a whole that DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO TACKLE.

Reactions: Speed78
It's not practiced like it once was. They limit contact, and you just don't become a proficient tackler without that. But UL didn't rally to the ball well; if the first guy misses, there should be 2-3 teammates there to clean up.

Recruit a kicker that can kick the ball out of the end zone on the reg - as seemingly every P5 team besides Louisville has - and the days of 100 yard returns will be over.

It's not practiced like it once was. They limit contact, and you just don't become a proficient tackler without that. But UL didn't rally to the ball well; if the first guy misses, there should be 2-3 teammates there to clean up.

Rally the ball is a team thing. A pride thing of you are not going to move the ball on us.

The tackling can be practiced with dummies and does not have to be live hitting to make sure technique is there.

When a defense consistantly places players in the opposing teams mix to the point all the defensive guy has to do is grab the offensive guy, but all he does is look at the guy run past him it is a very serious problem. We consistantly penetrated the offensive line only to watch the play run directly past us for chunk plays that were preventable if we would wrap up the ball carrier.

All Houston did all game was vere right and vere left. We over penetrated and watched the guy run past us a lot.

Recruit a kicker that can kick the ball out of the end zone on the reg - as seemingly every P5 team besides Louisville has - and the days of 100 yard returns will be over.

At some point, we have to tackle. No matter the yardage of the kickoff.

If we TACKLE the 100 yard kickoff was stopped at the 10. Instead, we go for the glorified hit and watch the guy run past us.

Reactions: BPGhost
At some point, we have to tackle. No matter the yardage of the kickoff.

If we TACKLE the 100 yard kickoff was stopped at the 10. Instead, we go for the glorified hit and watch the guy run past us.
Houston just came into our HOUSE and raped and killed our loved ones! PJCS is/was perceived to be a hard and an unliked venue to travel to...not so lately!

A Howard Schnellenberger team would never look as lost as we did yesterday because his teams were prepared.

I love Bobby and his staff, but yesterday was complete trash. We better fix a lot and fix it all in a hurry or we will lose the wheels off of this thing.

Clemson will be the best team we have faced this week.

Houston just came into our HOUSE and raped and killed our loved ones! PJCS is/was perceived to be a hard and an unliked venue to travel to...not so lately!

Clemson is ready to do the same thing!

The place was loud and the crowd stayed past the 3rd quarter.

This loss is on the coaches not having the team ready.

Houston had no problem putting our guys on the ground.

I hope that we turn it around and make this season as successful as possible.

The good news is a lot of young talent is getting priceless experience.

Arm tackling is mainly from being out of position. You must first square up to the ball carrier and drive thru them, then wrap up. More box drills needed here. Remember how coach Strong use to finish up the pregame warm ups with the box drill?

Arm tackling is mainly from being out of position. You must first square up to the ball carrier and drive thru them, then wrap up. More box drills needed here. Remember how coach Strong use to finish up the pregame warm ups with the box drill?
Grantham needs his kids on that side of the ball to have a pulse this week. The offense needs to do more than 3 and outs as well.

It would be nice to see an actual 4/3 to switch our looks up on defense so that we are not so predictable on 3rd down. Switch. Between 3/4 and 4/3..... As said to be Granthams stregnth.

Technique is lacking, but it can be addressed with good coaching

Last edited:
Grantham needs his kids on that side of the ball to have a pulse this week. The offense needs to do more than 3 and outs as well.

It would be nice to see an actual 4/3 to switch our looks up on defense so that we are not so predictable on 3rd down. Switch. Between 3/4 and 4/3..... As said to be Granthams stregnth.

Technique is lacking, but it can be addressed with good coaching
Charlie tried the 3 man line late in his tenure and got burned. He then mixed a 4 with the 3 with more success.

Our defense..... Louisville Grantham led defense does not tackle well. It is a fundamental problem. They are going for the big hit and missing as the guy runs by.

If someone would teach them how to wrap up and stop the progress of the runner we would field a nice defense.

It is very clear to see that it is our team as a whole that DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO TACKLE.
You should apply for the job!:rolleyes:

Charlie tried the 3 man line late in his tenure and got burned. He then mixed a 4 with the 3 with more success.
We will find our way one way or the other. Its easy to look at film and break it down not knowing all details.
Hopefully our kids wake up and have a great game against Clemson. They were flat against Houston. We have seemingly lost a game inexplicably every year. Lets hope this loss sparks change.

We have to be less predictable....

Recruit a kicker that can kick the ball out of the end zone on the reg - as seemingly every P5 team besides Louisville has

CBP has said publicly, several times, that he doesn't WANT the ball kicked out of the end zone. He doesn't want them starting on the 25 yd line.

He wants it to the one or two yd line, and for the coverage team to get them inside the 20.

It's worked several times, and it hasn't worked several times. I'm sure CBP knows the numbers, and maybe HOWIE or JACK have access.

Enquiring minds would like to know. ;)

UofL Fans in 2014 didn't have a problem with Grantham and bad tackling...now did It?

CBP has said publicly, several times, that he doesn't WANT the ball kicked out of the end zone. He doesn't want them starting on the 25 yd line.

He wants it to the one or two yd line, and for the coverage team to get them inside the 20.

It's worked several times, and it hasn't worked several times. I'm sure CBP knows the numbers, and maybe HOWIE or JACK have access.

Enquiring minds would like to know. ;)
Then why does Wallace occasionally do it? And why when he kicks it out of the end zone why isn't BP all over him for "screwing up"?

Our kick coverage has been TERRIBLE dating back to CCS - let them have it on the 25 - at least then they don't have the chance for something much bigger - including 6 and grabbing momentum.

:rolleyes:
UofL Fans in 2014 didn't have a problem with Grantham and bad tackling...now did It?
Actually many did!
If you can look at that game without critique then maybe you can listen to what Peteino said days after this post.

We have work to do.... Hopefully we work our tails off against Clemson and win the game.

Then why does Wallace occasionally do it? And why when he kicks it out of the end zone why isn't BP all over him for "screwing up"?

Our kick coverage has been TERRIBLE dating back to CCS - let them have it on the 25 - at least then they don't have the chance for something much bigger - including 6 and grabbing momentum.

I don't have a clue why he doesn't chew him out when it goes out of the EZ.

I also don't have clue why he's changed his offensive philosophy.

My question back to you is - why did CBP say it if he didn't mean it? I heard it. On more than one occasion. Maybe he said it to protect his kicker who can't get it to the end zone

Maybe he's the liar he's always been.

All I know is he said it. I have no idea if he meant it, or anything else he says.

I don't have a clue why he doesn't chew him out when it goes out of the EZ.

I also don't have clue why he's changed his offensive philosophy.

My question back to you is - why did CBP say it if he didn't mean it? I heard it. On more than one occasion. Maybe he said it to protect his kicker who can't get it to the end zone

Maybe he's the liar he's always been.

All I know is he said it. I have no idea if he meant it, or anything else he says.
No need to go all existential - lol. I didn't hear him say it - certainly I take you at your word that he did - so I can't comment intelligently as to why he would say that.

All that said, I'm still for kicking the ball out of the end zone.

Bingo....

We are out of position and do not wrap up. I cant be the only human that see this as a giant problem.

Hopefully we continue to improve

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT