ADVERTISEMENT

How do you sell Year 3?

Dec 31, 2002
I don't want Year 3 of Kenny Payne. But if the admin makes the decision to bring him back, how do they sell it to us? There is almost nothing. Here's the best talking points for them that I can think of, and they are incredibly, incredibly weak:

1. Doubled wins from 4 to 8.
2. Injuries hurt the team.
3. Maybe some big time recruits coming according to Bozich.

Can anyone think of anything else I'm missing that's even remotely positive? Maybe a few good comments about individual players?

It's laughable, but we may have arguments like those forced down our throats in a few weeks.

Bottom line is, no one who's watched this team for 5 minutes in any game would say they've made any real, significant progress, or dream that they could take a significant step forward in Year 3.

I hope I look back at this thread a month from now and say "Whew! Glad THAT didn't happen!"

Eric Crawford has a good article this morning on WDRB’s website… I see no way to make an honest argument to retain KP for a third season.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
Short answer- I don't think you can.
Financially,there has to be more behinds in seats @ YUM and that's not gonna happen with a 3rd year- the best argument for not having year 3.

I agree with most of what Eric Crawford said with one big exception, Payne being a "favorite son" I am not sure in what universe he, by any stretch of imagination, could be considered that. I went to many game practices back when he was a player at U of L. He had a nice jump shot and couldn't miss, during those practices. However that never translated to game action. I was perplexed at how poorly he shot under game pressure. He was not then and isn't now or ever will be, a favorite son.

I agree with most of what Eric Crawford said with one big exception, Payne being a "favorite son" I am not sure in what universe he, by any stretch of imagination, could be considered that. I went to many game practices back when he was a player at U of L. He had a nice jump shot and couldn't miss, during those practices. However that never translated to game action. I was perplexed at how poorly he shot under game pressure. He was not then and isn't now or ever will be, a favorite son.
It is ridiculous how many people overstate his career accomplishments. I was never a big fan. He was slow and not very smart, just like now.

There isn't a valid basketball or business reason for him to return so if he does get a year 3 it will not be for either of those two issues.

Reactions: vivid_red
I think it means a former player from a beloved team

Game day revenue data since 2017 show about $750K per 1,000 average attendance. The issue is how much will attendance improve/not decline.

An increase of three thousand fans on average would therefore be around $2 million more annual revenue. If you hire a coach for $4 million and Payne's buyout is $2 million per year, that six million is about $2.5 million more than Payne's current salary. So three thousand more fans per game wouldn't be enough to break even.

If some fat cat is covering his buyout in total, you don't need many more fans. A thousand gets you home...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT