ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Spalding - How much will he play?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
He seemed to be an after thought in the recruiting class but sounds like he's making noise.

What kind of role is he set for? Limited? Maybe in the rotation? Maybe more?

Thoughts?

It sounds like Spalding will at least be in the rotation though I think he will still have a fairly limited role. We all know Pitino loves deflections along with defense and Ray has been getting the most deflections on the team in the PR games. If he can keep that up along with his regular defense then Pitino will have him on the floor during games. How much I'm not sure.

I think a lot of people figured it would take more time for Spalding to show some promise but I'm glad he is coming along already. Can't wait for the season to start.

What do you think, Ipart, after getting to see him play?

Shadow, I only saw parts of games earlier this week. It just seems like he was a forgotten man in the recruiting class and sometimes those are the ones that end up being the keepers. I think he has the fortune of playing the position we need the most help in. I think he gets a long look.

He seemed to be an after thought in the recruiting class but sounds like he's making noise.

Thoughts?
It appears Spalding's performance could bring him into a rotation with Mathiang and Johnson at 4, or, perhaps center depending how Anas continues to develop (or, the foul situation). Also, Adel's PR performance could bring him into a smaller, quicker rotation at 4 with Lee at 3. It will be interesting to see how CRP continues to bring them along.

I watched 3 of the games. Right now I think Mango is clearly the leader at the 4 spot.. I would say its a toss up at this point as to who will back him up, Johnson or Spalding.

Spalding has soon he can play and works hard. He gets his hands on the ball on defense more than anyone else on the team. That's a big plus with CRP!!!!! I believe he sees a lot of playing time this year.

Playing a soft OOC schedule like we are integrates the young guys into Div 1 ball and team play quicker, the truth is. Having said that, baptisms by fire happen a few times, too. Michigan State, UK, etc should be tough games, plenty scary enough to try and raise the play another level. I like the way the 5's are handling the ball in the middle of defenses - I see that as a huge key.

Thanks guys
Family is doing ok
Wife was in and out of hospital all summer
Sepsis
Kidney stents
Stevens Johnson syndrome
Ankylosing spondylitis
The usual
Son is almost 8 months old
Some neurological defecits but overall doing well
Daughter is 3 and CRAZY
Work is insane busy which is good because hospital bills and student loans are getting closer to 7 figures than 6 right now ouch
But things are good
Ray may start guys
He's impressed the hell out of the coaches
He's going to be special
He will play a lot

Thanks guys
Family is doing ok
Wife was in and out of hospital all summer
Sepsis
Kidney stents
Stevens Johnson syndrome
Ankylosing spondylitis
The usual
Son is almost 8 months old
Some neurological defecits but overall doing well
Daughter is 3 and CRAZY
Work is insane busy which is good because hospital bills and student loans are getting closer to 7 figures than 6 right now ouch
But things are good
Ray may start guys
He's impressed the hell out of the coaches
He's going to be special
He will play a lot

When the information is coming from BT, that's a game changer. After the Puerto Rico trip, my first thought is that Mangok will always be the token starter at PF, with Spalding or Johnson first off the bench. Spalding has a long way to go offensively before I'd feel comfortable with him in the starting lineup. Mangok is very limited, but he knows his limitations and was working well in the flow of the offense. Defensively though, Spalding just has a nose for the ball. Somehow he's able to catch offensive players off guard time and time again. He's sneaky quick for his size, and is the type of player you love to have in a zone. He reminds me a lot of Chris McCullough who played for Syracuse last year.

Thoughts?
Don't know how much time he will play but he'll get his chances because Pitino loves the kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT