ADVERTISEMENT

Other than simply being mad or unhappy...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...I'm curious how last nite's result could make you LESS optimistic about Padgett as a permanent replacement. No question, his lack of experience fostered an incredible sequence of bone-headed plays that "rescued defeat from the jaws of victory".

But isn't getting to that ridiculous point a huge feather in his cap? That was the #1 team in the country that consistently frustrated a HOF coach in the same job.

In the end, isn't the permanent coaching decision more important than losing ONE game for the ages? And a game that in all likelihood ain't changing this team's postseason potential. (That is, we'll find another crazy game like that to lose against a one seed--if we're lucky enough to get that chance...)

The thing is, the guy is 32 years old in his first year of coaching at that level. Just about EVERYTHING he gets himself into is a learning experience. And he doesn't appear to be stupid, just green as grass.

As I said in another thread... Before the season started, I didn't have a prayer that we would beat Virginia this year. Instead, they beat us on a prayer. That's a helluva difference if we're talking about underlying performance and not just whether a last second shot went in the basket...

...I'm curious how last nite's result could make you LESS optimistic about Padgett as a permanent replacement. No question, his lack of experience fostered an incredible sequence of bone-headed plays that "rescued defeat from the jaws of victory".

But isn't getting to that ridiculous point a huge feather in his cap? That was the #1 team in the country that consistently frustrated a HOF coach in the same job.

In the end, isn't the permanent coaching decision more important than losing ONE game for the ages? And a game that in all likelihood ain't changing this team's postseason potential. (That is, we'll find another crazy game like that to lose against a one seed--if we're lucky enough to get that chance...)

The thing is, the guy is 32 years old in his first year of coaching at that level. Just about EVERYTHING he gets himself into is a learning experience. And he doesn't appear to be stupid, just green as grass.

As I said in another thread... Before the season started, I didn't have a prayer that we would beat Virginia this year. Instead, they beat us on a prayer. That's a helluva difference if we're talking about underlying performance and not just whether a last second shot went in the basket...
Padgett is woefully under qualified to run a program like UofL, but I like the guy and frankly I don't think we can do any better with the huge cloud of doubt hanging over the entire athletic department. I think he gets the job full time.

I like Padgett a lot and I agree with you Zipp he has a lot to learn yet. He and his staff did great game preparation for the game and we should have won the game. I just wish he would know his personnel a little better and realize there are some players who don't belong in the game the last 4 minutes. I think we would have 4 less losses if he recognized that.

Padgett is woefully under qualified to run a program like UofL, but I like the guy and frankly I don't think we can do any better with the huge cloud of doubt hanging over the entire athletic department. I think he gets the job full time.

I hope Padgett gets hired as Associate Head Coach. He needs time to develop but obviously has tremendous potential.

You could also look at it this way...why did it take this long for him to get them to play that hard on defense?

First off we don’t know if he can recruit. It would be nice to know what damage the NCAA is going to do to Louisville. If not much then I would prefer someone with more experience in both recruiting and coaching. That was ugly all the way around including the coaching at the end last night.

I like DP, but would prefer more experience.

You bring up a good point regarding recruiting that is so important to our program or anybody's program. Look at Calipari he has been around a long time and gets the best players and has only won the big game once. Padgett is young and inexperienced and unproven he won't get the players CRP got.
I think we are going to have to go old school and get good local kids who play with heart until Padgett proves himself. I am not sure how much Padgett is getting paid right now but I have a good friend is well connected to the program. He thinks Padgett will be the coach because the salary is what the current administration wants to pay.

Your friend makes a great case however, with donations being in the toilet and fan base disappearing more every day, a Padgett hire will dry the funds up even more which is exactly what Postel wants.

I am not sure how much Padgett is paid but I think our inexperienced Athletic Director is making more money than he is.

Reactions: awf
As far as recruiting, you can't judge anyone's recruiting at this point because you don't know how that game has been played. Is Chris Mack's 4-star class from a couple years ago a good indicator? Or is it his 3-star class in 2018 after all this pay-for-play stuff has been curtailed? (I'm not alleging he knew anything, simply that he may have benefited from it...)

And I didn't see any lack of emotion from fans last nite with Padgett on the sidelines. You wanna be careful gauging fan sentiments about Padgett vs another coach. Or for that matter, the basketball team vs the administration AKA "clown show". These displays of emotion and apathy at this point spill over from one reason to another. Some conclusions are accurate and some are not.

All I know is I want a full time coach who can guide a team to where they can win a game like last nite's. And even if it was just for one game, I had that...

I think I fully agree with Zipps post.

As far as recruiting, you can't judge anyone's recruiting at this point because you don't know how that game has been played. Is Chris Mack's 4-star class from a couple years ago a good indicator? Or is it his 3-star class in 2018 after all this pay-for-play stuff has been curtailed? (I'm not alleging he knew anything, simply that he may have benefited from it...)

And I didn't see any lack of emotion from fans last nite with Padgett on the sidelines. You wanna be careful gauging fan sentiments about Padgett vs another coach. Or for that matter, the basketball team vs the administration AKA "clown show". These displays of emotion and apathy at this point spill over from one reason to another. Some conclusions are accurate and some are not.

All I know is I want a full time coach who can guide a team to where they can win a game like last nite's. And even if it was just for one game, I had that...

If DP is back I won't be attending games. I understand what you're saying but this is Louisville. A destination job. DP needs to learn the ropes at a lesser program(EKU has an opening). Tyra and company are on the clock IMO. I will not suffer through the next few or more seasons hoping DP pulls a rabbit out the hat. I want a proven coach driving our Cadillac. You are right about apathy and I'm starting to feel it myself. Last night was a gut wrench. So many boneheaded plays. The end of that game is on DP. When the whole damn team makes game losing mistakes inside a few minutes that's on the coach.

brookstreet, the problem we are going to have getting a top notch coach is the current administration. They have mishandled the whole situation and they will probably lose their lawsuit with Tom Jurich. Money is going to be an issue, so they are going to go the cheap route.

Reactions: zipp

In general I'd agree, it tells me that as he would be the de facto fall back option, the floor is higher than it was before. Several big questions are still unanswered but one specifically would be his ceiling in this area. How fast can he learn (or better if he can learn) from his mistakes and not repeat them? Would I prefer that to be at another school that we can evaluate objectively from, sure. If it has to be here as we have no better options, *shrug*.

Not to be more of a smart ass than any Kentucky fan, but why is how Padgent recruits now a game breaker?????
UofL has under Denny Crum and Rick Pitino been a school that wouldn't turn down a five star kid, but success was on taking 3and 4 star players and getting them up to the next level of ability. And good at doing that, to boot.

Let me just throw this out there.....

Charlie Strong was not having his doors knocked down when he came to you guys.
Neither was Petrino....not a huge name when he first came to you, DEFINITELY a HUGE name for the wrong reasons when he came back.
Denny Crum was well known as John Woodens ASSISTANT, and he proved himself over time. Rick Pitino left the pro game in a shambles of a career when he came back to college ball.

All I'm saying is that Louisville has been a place that makes coaches. Now, a really BAD one can create chaos....but in all honesty, do you truly believe this young coach you have now is going to get anything but better?
Pitinos first year at Kentucky was a dog and pony show that produced a .500 season.

Times are different, and everyone wants a winner NOW.
Ah, well...up to you guys. Luck to you.

Reactions: awf

Neither was Petrino....not a huge name when he first came to you, DEFINITELY a HUGE name for the wrong reasons when he came back.
Denny Crum was well known as John Woodens ASSISTANT, and he proved himself over time. Rick Pitino left the pro game in a shambles of a career when he came back to college ball.

All I'm saying is that Louisville has been a place that makes coaches. Now, a really BAD one can create chaos....but in all honesty, do you truly believe this young coach you have now is going to get anything but better?
Pitinos first year at Kentucky was a dog and pony show that produced a .500 season.

Rick Pitino had other options, including Michigan, when he came here. He wasn't like John Calipari when he went to Memphis after failing in the NBA and having UMASS as his only positive point on his resume.
And we have more to offer than Memphis did when John Calipari left.

Reactions: brookstreet

Pitino had no players that year. As he got past sanctions and the players came in (Mashburn), things changed rapidly. I still think the Bowen situation will likely keep top names from coming to UL yet.

Why would it keep top players from coming to Louisville? Are you saying they won't come because the NCAA is watching them so they won't get paid. Since they aren't watchful sUcK they go there and still get paid.

Reactions: brookstreet
Why would it keep top players from coming to Louisville? Are you saying they won't come because the NCAA is watching them so they won't get paid. Since they aren't watchful sUcK they go there and still get paid.
I was referring to coaches. Top players? They'll probably come back when an elite coach comes in. I do think recruiting will be tough in general until the NCAA decides what they'll do about the Bowen situation.

All the people involved with Bowen are gone and Bowen never played a game at Louisville.

Knowing what we know now, how can you properly judge a current coach's recruiting ability? It's like comparing 100-meter dash times with no wind data; you don't know whether a time was wind-aided or not.

You don't know whether Chris Mack is a better recruiter than Padgett. You don't know whether Mack's current 3-star class with pay-for-play curtailed is more representative or his 4-star class a couple years ago.

Here's the thing.....DP is an unproven HC doing the best he can considering the circumstances but lets not pretend that he's some sort of brave individual for taking over the program. Regardless of the circumstances somehow he managed to be the ONLY member of a staff riddled with NCAA sanctions to come out unscathed and with the season days away a prestigious university was more or less forced to give him the job. What was he going to say, no? EVERY assistant coach in the country would have done the exact same thing that DP did.

UL is 19-11 with a team that was ranked in the top 15 to start the year and has beaten nobody of significance and been blown out of the arena against the 3 best programs they've faced this year. Forgive me if I'm not rushing to keep DP.

Louisville CANNOT go into next year with David Padgett as the HC.

...UL is 19-11 with a team that was ranked in the top 15 to start the year and has beaten nobody of significance and been blown out of the arena against the 3 best programs they've faced this year. Forgive me if I'm not rushing to keep DP...
I'm still looking for the roster of great talent on this team. I don't follow the NBA...is anyone besides maybe Spalding listed in a mock draft somewhere? Help me...

I'm still looking for the roster of great talent on this team. I don't follow the NBA...is anyone besides maybe Spalding listed in a mock draft somewhere? Help me...

Before the season started Adel, Ray, King and Mahmoud were all listed in the top 60ish on most draft boards and now you're lucky if you even find Ray in the top 60.

Before the season started Adel, Ray, King and Mahmoud were all listed in the top 60ish on most draft boards and now you're lucky if you even find Ray in the top 60.
Well that means nothing. The NBA drafts on potential, so it matters little how they look winning or losing a college game.

There are probably twenty college teams represented in the first two rounds that U of L scoff at in terms of their basketball programs. Per the NBA, each of those teams have a player with more talent than U of L's BEST player.

That's because you don't have the talent you think you have...

Well that means nothing. The NBA drafts on potential, so it matters little how they look winning or losing a college game.

There are probably twenty college teams represented in the first two rounds that U of L scoff at in terms of their basketball programs. Per the NBA,h of those teams have a player with more talent than U of L's BEST player.

That's because you don't have the talent you think you have...
Disagree, Pitino knows what he had. He would have Deng,and Ray going easy in the two rounds I think. They both needed HIS guidance and coaching. I also think buzzkill(VJ) would have been a more solid steady contributor for OUR team not the opponent. Not to mention Q and Anas.

Disagree, Pitino knows what he had. He would have Deng,and Ray going easy in the two rounds I think. They both needed HIS guidance and coaching. I also think buzzkill(VJ) would have been a more solid steady contributor for OUR team not the opponent. Not to mention Q and Anas.
Pitino had enough talent to win most games the way he wants to coach. Judging from the last couple games, Padgett's pretty close to that. But these guys may not be in the mold of what he would choose for his own roster.

On an absolute basis, however, this team is not blessed with great talent. It has some good athletes and a few guys with basketball IQ. But not enough of that in the same player unfortunately. Beyond Spalding who's not even on most mock draft lists, this team is full of guys who will be making money overseas or earning a paycheck the way the rest of us do--NOT dribbling a basketball.

If Padgett's wasting talent, NBA execs would see that and draft these guys anyway. Look no further than Ben Simmons or Donovan Mitchell for dramatic proof of that. What they do in college matters very little...

Your friend makes a great case however, with donations being in the toilet and fan base disappearing more every day, a Padgett hire will dry the funds up even more which is exactly what Postel wants.
Fair or unfair this is the core issue in making the next decision on who leads Louisville basketball. I think attendance was going to suck no matter who the coach was this year which makes it impossible to evaluate David fairly in this regard. He probably hasn't even had the opportunity to go out and fundraise again making it impossible to evaluate his ability to fundraise.

His entire coaching career is wrapped up in 1 season. You can see the poise, intelligence, player respect, and other intangibles but is that enough to turn this program over to him?

Frame it this way, would any college in the Power 5 hire Padgett today with his current experience? Would any mid major hire Padgett today? My guess is he is going to get a bunch of offers as an assistant coach but none for head coach. He just doesn't have that kind of experience.

David has been an amazing representative for Louisville basketball this year. Can't say enough good things about the way he's carried himself this season but the fact remains that even with the cloud hanging over the program you would be hard pressed to find 10 better jobs in all of college basketball. Louisville basketball has been a laughing stock and been in the toilet by the media for nearly 3 years now and this is the most important coaching hire in the history of the program. You can't entrust that kind of responsibility to David Padgett....you just can't.

If I’m a 6-9, 6-10 big man, why would I think Chris Mack or anybody else could do a better job of developing my skills than CDP?

I don't think its that simple. If thats the case then why isn't Wake Forest killing it with recruiting? Danny Manning was an all time great college player and a very good NBA player. Why isn't St. Johns and Georgetown killing it? They're coached by all time greats in both college and the NBA. Its not like David Padgett is a "known" name.

I don't think its that simple. If thats the case then why isn't Wake Forest killing it with recruiting? Danny Manning was an all time great college player and a very good NBA player. Why isn't St. Johns and Georgetown killing it? They're coached by all time greats in both college and the NBA. Its not like David Padgett is a "known" name.
Not yet. That’s not my point. Manning and Chris were great players but haven’t translated into great coaches yet. David was a good better than average player who understands the game and was born to coach.

Also back to Wake. Smallest Division 1 school isn’t the country who’s focus is on education.

Not yet. That’s not my point. Manning and Chris were great players but haven’t translated into great coaches yet. David was a good better than average player who understands the game and was born to coach.

Also back to Wake. Smallest Division 1 school isn’t the country who’s focus is on education.

I just don't see what David has done this year that make people think he's going to be a great coach or to even entertain the idea of him taking over full time. He's beaten most of the teams he's more talented than...lost to a handful he should have beaten and been blown out 3 times. Assuming he beats NC State he'll have went 20-11 with a team ranked in the top 15 in the preseason.

The only thing DP has done this year is not be a total failure.

Reactions: teamcanada
...If thats the case then why isn't Wake Forest killing it with recruiting? Danny Manning was an all time great college player and a very good NBA player...
Maybe he's not cheating like the other big time recruiters evidently are...

...You can't entrust that kind of responsibility to David Padgett....you just can't.
Who you gonna entrust with the responsibility for hiring his replacement??

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

Last edited:

Before the season started UofL was a top 20 team and Virginia was unranked so if you thought we couldn't beat them then you had no confidence in Padgett at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT