ADVERTISEMENT

SEC officials do everything to keep UK in the game

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
I believe the SEC recognizes that UK has the best chance of obtaining a #1 ranking as any in their conference, and today‘s game at TX A&M game exhibited more evidence of just how far the SEC game officials would go to keep UK alive.

A&M eventually won the game in OT, but the sequence of calls by the officials were bizarre. A&M was up 78-76 in regulation, when Shepherd got a UK rebound after a missed 3 pointer, and threw up a desperate 4’ shot with .6 seconds that missed. The officials called a foul on a A&M defender, despite the replay showing no evidence of contact. His two FTs tied the game and sent it into OT.

In the OT, A&M hit a critical 3 pointer, but was it disallowed as the official said the player kicked his leg out as he fell backwards, making contact with Shepherd’s foot. The next play, Shepherd misses a desperate 3 pointer, but was awarded 3 FTs after his legged kicked the defender. Even Bilas pointed out the official‘s mistake, all of which were caught on replay.

It was a great offensive exhibition by both teams, and admittedly UK is a very talented team. If UK had won today; there was a good chance they might have jumped up to the #1 ranking given the earlier upsets this week.

It was blatantly obvious and KenSucky stinks and will not make it to the FF this year. Best 4 teams I've seen so far this year are Purdue, Kansas, Uconn, and Marquette. Those will be the last 4 standing it looks like.

I agree I caught the last minutes of regulation and the overtime and there were ghost fouls. Even the announcers were baffled by the fouls they were even trying to help sUcK win or they were point shaving. Anyway the good news was Big Blew lost to an unranked opponent.

Reactions: RealStateBird
Sorry guys, that's not the way the UK bunch at Buffalo Wild Wings down here in West KY. saw it. Especially in the 2nd. half, they were hollering 'home cooking', 'we are fouled on almost every shot'! 'They (ESPN) want to keep Kansas and Purdue ahead of the Big Blue'! Plain jealousy said another. Actually, it's unbelievable how their fans react when they are losing....of course, since we lost again, I have to keep shut....waiting for football next year! fyi

Last years Final Four was one of the best for me because of the new teams that made it there. Unfortunately the tv executives and NCAA lost millions in revenue by not having big name teams in it save UConn. Even the Elite 8 had only UConn.

Well they will do their damnedest not to let that reoccur so officiating will be like what took place at A&M and other conference teams, when playing the blue bloods.

I abhor blatant cheating and will call it out every-time I see it, even if it’s Louisville who’s on the receiving end of it like today.

Just call games both ways and bad is bad for both but this huge difference in foul calls and free throws is a dead giveaway for blatant cheating.

The Kentucky finish was one of the worst I’ve seen and that’s saying a lot considering their history along with Kansas, Duke and North Carolina.

You are right-on Mr. Bird especially concerning the latter part of the game. We left the restaurant (some folks spewing out the 4 letter words too much/often), but we heard later on Sirius one of the announcers stating that a Kentucky hand went up into the net on one trip and it caused a 3 point goal to 'become stuck' on another trip! I don't know if I've ever seen that occur. He kept stating 'it caused A&M 3 points and Shepard went down and hit some free throws. I guess due to a jump ball!! Is that the way that happened? If so, A&M was at home. Don't understand a 5 point swing with a minute or so to go at all......anyway, thanks....J

You are right-on Mr. Bird especially concerning the latter part of the game. We left the restaurant (some folks spewing out the 4 letter words too much/often), but we heard later on Sirius one of the announcers stating that a Kentucky hand went up into the net on one trip and it caused a 3 point goal to 'become stuck' on another trip! I don't know if I've ever seen that occur. He kept stating 'it caused A&M 3 points and Shepard went down and hit some free throws. I guess due to a jump ball!! Is that the way that happened? If so, A&M was at home. Don't understand a 5 point swing with a minute or so to go at all......anyway, thanks....J
They called an offensive foul on A&M player who hit a 3 saying he kicked a foot out on the shot. Then on the preceding play Kentucky player shoots 3 and misses and they called a foul on that even though nobody touched him resulting in free throws. There were many calls that favored Kentucky in the game.

There was a rebounding foul on Washington and the replay showed he never touched the sUcK player. The announcers were really calling it out so I give them credit for that.

Reactions: 2330859
Last years Final Four was one of the best for me because of the new teams that made it there. Unfortunately the tv executives and NCAA lost millions in revenue by not having big name teams in it save UConn. Even the Elite 8 had only UConn.

Well they will do their damnedest not to let that reoccur so officiating will be like what took place at A&M and other conference teams, when playing the blue bloods.

I abhor blatant cheating and will call it out every-time I see it, even if it’s Louisville who’s on the receiving end of it like today.

Just call games both ways and bad is bad for both but this huge difference in foul calls and free throws is a dead giveaway for blatant cheating.

The Kentucky finish was one of the worst I’ve seen and that’s saying a lot considering their history along with Kansas, Duke and North Carolina.
Well they have the NCAA to blame, they’ve killed the number 1 BB market.

Wow, okay. We were listening to the after game show. Maybe, it was another play. Either way, the inter-league games need to be called down the middle. End of story. But, the Blue Bloods always seem to get the 50-50 calls
no matter what. Not good. As you Mr. Bird was saying, they are absolutely ruining the games. Thank you.

Reactions: 2330859 and earsky
Lots of questionable calls. Kin-sucky is the flagship in bball in the $EC gotta protect them..

That was a really good back and forth game until A&M started to really pull away despite the refs trying to keep Uk in it

Reactions: 2330859
I know my angst towards UK is obvious, but my concern goes much further. The political environment in sports (ESPN, SEC and NCAA) have combined to turn college sports into a race for financial superiority, and there is no limit to where this will end up.

NCAA and TV broadcasting revenue will dictate who advances in this upcoming March Madness. They can ill-afford to have the “blue bloods” out of this Final Four, and it should be evident that with all of the NIL & Portal influence, every game is a potential upset.

Amateur sports is history and the consequences will not be good for college sports.

I can’t stand referees I think there is a bias toward certain teams. With that said that has always been the case. This isn’t a new movement because of TV or NIL.

They can’t stop the madness never have and never will. March is wildly unpredictable. Texas A&M has a guy go for 30. They normally shoot 27% from 3 shoot 37% against UK.

I can’t stand referees I think there is a bias toward certain teams. With that said that has always been the case. This isn’t a new movement because of TV or NIL.

They can’t stop the madness never have and never will. March is wildly unpredictable. Texas A&M has a guy go for 30. They normally shoot 27% from 3 shoot 37% against UK.
Referees are doing what they are told or suffer the consequence of unemployment. Sports is becoming just as evil as this country. One thing that is funny to me though is with all the narratives and cheating they still don’t get the results they want. Proves there is a God imo.

Reactions: rh62531
$EC protects Alabama football and Ky basketball. Their two biggest cash cows. Also, THE worst sports fan on the planet? The dude that is an Alabama football fan and a Ky basketball fan.

Reactions: rh62531 and Deeva
They called an offensive foul on A&M player who hit a 3 saying he kicked a foot out on the shot. Then on the preceding play Kentucky player shoots 3 and misses and they called a foul on that even though nobody touched him resulting in free throws. There were many calls that favored Kentucky in the game.
Reminds me of 2004 when they called a phantom call on Ellis Myles against Patrick Sparks, who clearly shuffled his feet. Painful...

Reactions: KozmasAgain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT