ADVERTISEMENT

Never saw a top 5 team have a TOTAL Collapse like the CARDS!

Jul 23, 2014
I have been around a long time but in my lifetime, I never saw a collapse like the CARDS this season.
It is disheartening, because of all the great plays and scoring against top teams. They will bring back a lot back for next year so hopefully they will learn from this and will have the determination, NOT TO LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN! Lamar went from Heisman to mediocre in the last 3 games. His one hand ball carrying, needs to stop and his O line has to be better.

I have been around a long time but in my lifetime, I never saw a collapse like the CARDS this season.
It is disheartening, because of all the great plays and scoring against top teams. They will bring back a lot back for next year so hopefully they will learn from this and will have the determination, NOT TO LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN! Lamar went from Heisman to mediocre in the last 3 games. His one hand ball carrying, needs to stop and his O line has to be better.
Can't argue with this. I've seen it happen in the pros but I can't remember a bigger collapse in College football ever.

And with this best player in the country on our side. Someone needs to call Lt. Columbo

It's more than just the OL. I think there was a chemistry problem that developed with the team during year. Rumors of spats. A player getting in a coaches face and not returning next year. There was no cohesion with the offense at all. It's more than just having a bad OL. None of them were on the same page at the end of the season.

For the first time in years, I'm not geeked about next season. If the problems continue into next season, it could be just as bad as this season ended.

Never know what to think about the behind the scenes stuff that we don't get the full story on, but this sure has the feel of a team turmoil.

Michigan was like No. 2 and lost three of their last four games.
Yes, but who were the three losses to? Iowa on the road, OSU on the road and FSU in the bowl game. And everyone of them down to the wire. We were blown out twice and pi$$ed away a home game to a team that shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as any of the aforementioned teams.

Face it, Dabo and Jimbo baked a cake with their teams. We had a Pop Tart.

It's more than just the OL. I think there was a chemistry problem that developed with the team during year. Rumors of spats. A player getting in a coaches face and not returning next year. There was no cohesion with the offense at all. It's more than just having a bad OL. None of them were on the same page at the end of the season.

For the first time in years, I'm not geeked about next season. If the problems continue into next season, it could be just as bad as this season ended.

Never know what to think about the behind the scenes stuff that we don't get the full story on, but this sure has the feel of a team turmoil.
I agree with the team chemistry comment. Something changed during the last part of the season. Let's face it, when you lose to a SEC bottom feeder Mark Stoops coached team at home, you have serious problems. I think everyone will agree the team hit rock bottom on senior day and it carried over yesterday.
We as fans can hope that CBP and staff will not only evaluate the returning players and team needs, but will look in the mirror and identify their own shortcomings.

We had many great moments this year and saw one of our own bring home the Heisman.
It was a bitterly disappointing end to the season however.
Who knows what next year brings?
Lamar needs to improve as a QB, we desperately need improvement as well as new bodies on the offensive line and Bobby needs to not operate under the assumption that he is here for a lifetime contract. He needs to earn that contract each year.

Reactions: SoulSr
I agree with the team chemistry comment. Something changed during the last part of the season. Let's face it, when you lose to a SEC bottom feeder Mark Stoops coached team at home, you have serious problems. I think everyone will agree the team hit rock bottom on senior day and it carried over yesterday.
We as fans can hope that CBP and staff will not only evaluate the returning players and team needs, but will look in the mirror and identify their own shortcomings.

I agree with the need for the team and coaches to look in the mirror. The problem I've had in 2016 with UofL athletics is the arrogance that has been emanating from Floyd St. Seems like every issue that has come up has either been dismissed or the blame has been shifted away from those responsible for the programs. The lack of strong leadership at the university administration level has allowed UofL athletics to operate in its own vacuum. That seems to have led to hubris and ultimately some bad missteps. Hopefully that is corrected in 2017.

Reactions: Mayoman and SoulSr
21 seniors? All C Strong players, right? Something happen with that? Of course, it wasn't Bobby's fault that Strong left but tell that to a 21 year old after not making the playoffs? Lamar getting the Heisman. Injuries. Shootings last month/year.
That's a lot of seniors.
Just wondering. Ellen

At the end of the year, this team has bigger issues than one position group.

BUT we also had a lot of "moving the goalposts" by the fanbase. In the preseason AP poll, we were ranked #19, and LSU was ranked #5...

Reactions: SoulSr
I have Ohio State yesterday.

IMO they quit giving 100% after the Clemson loss. Whether it was thinking they were knocked out of the playoffs or whatever. They went into a spiral after that loss. We still have growth to do as a program and it will happen.

It's clear to me what happened. Doesn't make it right, it's just the way I see it. The team couldn't handle the limelight and LJ's success. They tightened up, lost focus, basically, in their minds, won a popularity contest prior to November, then said "fvck it." It's growing pains, a learning lesson. They now know how to handle the attention. Let's face it, Louisville has never been in that position before. Petrino has never been in that situation before. While all this sucks, the last two months, it's probably for the better. Learning experience. I know it's too soon, but Seger said it best, "turn the page." Cue the sax.

I agree with a lot being said here.

The schedule next year is gloomy on paper. It's top heavy early, then really thins out. It is possible a traditionally bad team is good next year that's on our schedule, but no guarantee. So a big question is, how will the Cards approach all opponents?

There's no doubt the team checked out this year and it's really hard to understand. Heading into Houston it felt like the team was going to play with a chip on their shoulder and instead the team just melted down.

All the talk of winning by a lot and the hype for Jackson was just too much for the team, and more disappointing to me, the staff.

Honestly there should be some real concern about the program. It looked more like a Kragthorpe team than a T25 team down the stretch, and I don't think all those problems get fixed during the off season.

why do you not see the problems being fixed?

I think there would need to be a great deal of change, mostly with overall philosophy, and I don't see a philosophical change coming.

To make a long story short in regards to philosophy, the offense hunts big plays and isn't balanced enough to protect the defense.

I've seen the system long enough to see it can be successful, and has been. But, it can also be stopped, or completely blown up....and I'm not seeing a willingness to make adjustments.

There are a ton of minor details we can discuss that would have merit.

But for me it comes down to overall philosophy.

I think there would need to be a great deal of change, mostly with overall philosophy, and I don't see a philosophical change coming.

To make a long story short in regards to philosophy, the offense hunts big plays and isn't balanced enough to protect the defense.

I've seen the system long enough to see it can be successful, and has been. But, it can also be stopped, or completely blown up....and I'm not seeing a willingness to make adjustments.

I wholeheartedly agree with you and look forward to the news of how Bobby 2.0 is going to correct his ship. What we witnessed this season is something I never want to see again, and I am hopeful the coaches will warm up to change because anything that resembles 2016's season will not be accepted.

we blitz too much and it wears out our defense, and we do not have any typoe of power running with our running backs so we put no pressure on a defense to think about anything but lamar jackson, and it is also why LJ is transfering.

it is sad to see so many card fans put their heads in the sand and say nothing.

The bold part was maddening for me...

Reactions: beasleythecard
May be selective memory, but IIRC CBP1 controlled the ball and set up big plays. He didn't rely on them.

Big RBs, good to great QBs.

Nothing like this O.

Agree, this offense doesn't have same principles as before. Petrino 1.0 was power spread. Big running backs controlled the ball and tempo. This created big mismatches especially on crossing routes and created man to man opportunities on the outside.

Who's "putting his head in the sand?"

Petrino's said that a hybrid QB system is the best way today to max out your offense. This is the same offense, run well, that can throttle a team like FSU. And even when not, to challenge a national finalist on their home field. Nothing wrong with the system IMO--plenty wrong with the execution...

Agree, this offense doesn't have same principles as before. Petrino 1.0 was power spread. Big running backs controlled the ball and tempo. This created big mismatches especially on crossing routes and created man to man opportunities on the outside.

Still feel he is missing a counterbalance...Paul...just saying...

Reactions: Mayoman
Or after signing day Coach Galloway get a new gig and Paul becomes WR/OC...someone that can be a Coaching Counterbalance to remind Petrino to stay ahead of the sticks instead of always going for the Homerun....plus I guarantee you the drops would decrease

Petrino's said that a hybrid QB system is the best way today to max out your offense.
Jeff Brohm might disagree. ;)

He's getting plenty of output from a CBP1 offense. D is his problem.

But as you say, and I agree, none of us know anything. I do know CBP is reinventing himself, taking us, and himself, into uncharted waters, and we are having some growing pains.

If we outgrow them, all is well.

But if we don't, I just hope JB doesn't school us next year.

Reactions: Mayoman
Jeff Brohm might disagree. ;)

He's getting plenty of output from a CBP1 offense. D is his problem.

But as you say, and I agree, none of us know anything. I do know CBP is reinventing himself, taking us, and himself, into uncharted waters, and we are having some growing pains.

If we outgrow them, all is well.

But if we don't, I just hope JB doesn't school us next year.
Jeff will get a real chance to prove himself in the Big Ten. And I hope he succeeds, starting in Game 2...

We've all seen a ton of games. UofL is not the only team to have an offense just unravel. I think the difference you see between how Petrino handled it, as opposed to most other coaches is glaring.

Petrino remained aggressive, kept pedal to gas, and continued to call plays that just dug the hole deeper.

No willingness to put the head down and settle for minimal gains via hand-offs. This is my main beef. Sometimes no gain is better than the alternative. 3 yards is a good play, 2 is not bad. 0-1 won't get you where you need to go, but it's better than a loss of 5-15. Hand-offs also keep a defense a little more honest.

When you line up and look for big plays every down, the defense can get after you in the backfield. Also increases chances of your defense being on the field way too long.

Now I'm ranting, I know nothing.

Last edited:
our team leader was a true soph with a lot of distractions, I don't know if LJ has the leadership qualities...I really thought he'd be pressed as the starter in the off season last year and was proven wrong regarding his ability to grow as an under center qb and be an effective pocket passer so here's hoping I'm wrong again regarding his leadership qualities. It seems he was at times showing a lot of frustration toward his team mates vs trying to reassure, motivate and focus on the task at hand. CBP has his hands full.

Someone was talking about Pass the other day, and how much better passer/pocket presence he is/has, and that LJ could be the first Heisman winner benched.

Well, it's safe to say he won't be benched. But I can see a package where he's in the slot, or WR, or even RB.

That could create nightmares for DC's. A pocket passer with serious scramble ability (SEE DARNOLD @ USC) and LJ on the field too.

They've pretty much figured out how to slow him down at QB.

But on a more serious note, JP might make LJ take his QB lessons more seriously and with a sense of urgency.

And if not...see above. :D

South Carolina, as I recall, started 6-0 one year, got into the top 5, and proceeded to drop their next 6 (maybe their next seven. can't remember if they lost the bowl game). I think it was Spurrier's second year, maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT