CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Rankings:

UofL Total Defense: 21st
UK Total Offense: 98th

UK Total Defense: 40th
UofL Total Offense: 22nd

UK hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all season. The composite record of the opponents they've beaten: 23-43.

Stepping away from the numbers, UK has a solid run game. They are aggressive and play pretty good defense (at times.) And, as we know, they've had our number. They took full advantage of UofL being down and having a clueless HC, and have claimed supremacy because of it. They'll be confident.

That said, Jeff clearly gets it. He knows the rivalry. Plus, the pendulum has to swing back in our favor at some time. This is the perfect time. Look at those rankings above. The Cards are one hell of a good football team. UK, not so much.

Go Cards!

I don’t think the template for this game is much different than the past Governors Cups…you have to run the football and not turn the ball over. It will be interesting to see what happens with us if taken off script like losing the toss and finding ourselves down early at home.

Reactions: 2330859
UK had 3 cupcakes to pad those rankings the op posted. Unless they somehow find a way to put together a complete game Louisville wins by double digits. I don’t think they played a complete game all year. Maybe Vandy?

Reactions: uoflcardsfan
I like UofL’s chances but…

1. Despite being blown out by the good teams they’ve faced, I’m sure Stupes poops feel confident that they’re stepping down in class and, confident against as they’ve won the last several matchups.

2. Not sure what’s been going on the last couple of games (and it goes double for his parents if you’ve read their comments on social media) but Davis is an outstanding RB and could pose big problems - particularly if UofL gets in a deficit situation.

3. While Leary has not been as good as advertised, he still is very accurate when he has time in the pocket - particularly with the 10-15 yard seam throws. Louisville’s secondary has had issues covering that area of the field. I also expect them to utilize their TE’s more than they have lately.

4. Despite being mouthy and routinely undisciplined, their defense has some dudes - especially their NT #0. He has been wreaking havoc of late.

5. As mentioned before, Stupes coaches dirty and unsportsmanlike play. I fully expect that there will be more of the same Saturday and that they will try and big boy UofL.

6. It’s a rivalry game and anything can happen.

Winning would heap some more dirt on Porky - and it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy….

Go Cards!!

3. While Leary has not been as good as advertised, he still is very accurate when he has time in the pocket - particularly with the 10-15 yard seam throws. Louisville’s secondary has had issues covering that area of the field. I also expect them to utilize their TE’s more than they have lately.

4. Despite being mouthy and routinely undisciplined, their defense has some dudes - especially their NT #0. He has been wreaking havoc of late.

We got pressure on Leary last year and he wasn't that effective. We gave Van Dyke too much time and he was able to make throws and hurt us.

Deone Walker will be going up against Hudson who along with Gonzalez are arguably our best olinemen so that will be interesting. The oline kept the pocket clean against Miami's big dline who were getting a lot of sacks in previous games. Miami beat an SEC team and Clemson so those dudes can match up with anybody and we handld them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpotHogCard
We got pressure on Leary last year and he wasn't that effective. We gave Van Dyke too much time and he was able to make throws and hurt us.

Deone Walker will be going up against Hudson who along with Gonzalez are arguably our best olinemen so that will be interesting. The oline kept the pocket clean against Miami's big dline who were getting a lot of sacks in previous games. Miami beat an SEC team and Clemson so those dudes can match up with anybody and we handld them.
I agree with your points and hope that is the way that it plays out Saturday.

This game has been determined in the trenches for the last 4 years. Last year it at least looked like Louisville belonged up front. This year it will at least be even. Louisville won’t back down. They have played good fronts in NC State, Notre Dame, Duke and Miami.

I am worried about the defense though. Seem to be struggling lately they maybe wearing down. Miami Oline is legit so wasn’t surprised they moved the ball. The secondary is isn’t the same without Brownlee. They have the skill guys to cause problems. Leary is a 1st read QB tends to lock on the his targets. Need to try to confuse him and get pressure in his face. My guess is they will lean on the running game it is their strength.

Reactions: KozmasAgain

I don't think we played against Leary last Year. He got hurt and was out for the Season before we played them. We did play against him the year before on the road at NCST. He did not play well in the first three quarters but played well in the fourth quarter and they won the game.

I think the key to the game is never letting him get comfortable.

Reactions: BPGhost
I don't think we played against Leary last Year. He got hurt and was out for the Season before we played them. We did play against him the year before on the road at NCST. He did not play well in the first three quarters but played well in the fourth quarter and they won the game.

You're right. Ben Finley was their QB that game.

I am curious to see what pregame trash antics sUcK will pull to try and get players ejected before the game. Everybody expects some dirty tactics before or during the game.
Lets see if it centers around the Heisman Cardinal Bird at the 50 or when the two teams come out. It seems opposing teams like to come out at the same time we do. Makes it seem like we are cheering for the opposing team if you are sitting on the east side of the field.

1. Despite being blown out by the good teams they’ve faced, I’m sure Stupes poops feel confident that they’re stepping down in class and, confident against as they’ve won the last several matchups.
If you're reading between the lines at his weekly presser,that's exactly where he's at about our Program. Time to change his perception.

Reactions: BPGhost
This game has been determined in the trenches for the last 4 years. Last year it at least looked like Louisville belonged up front. This year it will at least be even. Louisville won’t back down. They have played good fronts in NC State, Notre Dame, Duke and Miami.

I am worried about the defense though. Seem to be struggling lately they maybe wearing down. Miami Oline is legit so wasn’t surprised they moved the ball. The secondary is isn’t the same without Brownlee. They have the skill guys to cause problems. Leary is a 1st read QB tends to lock on the his targets. Need to try to confuse him and get pressure in his face. My guess is they will lean on the running game it is their strength.
You may as well throw the last 4 years out. It is not relevant to Louisville football anymore.

Rankings:

UofL Total Defense: 21st
UK Total Offense: 98th

UK Total Defense: 40th
UofL Total Offense: 22nd

UK hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all season. The composite record of the opponents they've beaten: 23-43.

Stepping away from the numbers, UK has a solid run game. They are aggressive and play pretty good defense (at times.) And, as we know, they've had our number. They took full advantage of UofL being down and having a clueless HC, and have claimed supremacy because of it. They'll be confident.

That said, Jeff clearly gets it. He knows the rivalry. Plus, the pendulum has to swing back in our favor at some time. This is the perfect time. Look at those rankings above. The Cards are one hell of a good football team. UK, not so much.

Go Cards!

I’m the last one to defend Gomer Satterfield, but last year we went into the game without our top two running backs and Cunningham couldn’t lift his left arm. That game still wasn’t a blowout

I am curious to see what pregame trash antics sUcK will pull to try and get players ejected before the game. Everybody expects some dirty tactics before or during the game.

This is the first paragraph in Porky’s playbook. Pre game taunting and how to bang a coed without your wife finding out. That last one didn’t turn out so well.

I went to that game at NC State. You're right.

UK is a formidable opponent, they are just not as good offensively as they have been over the last several years. We are significantly improved in every aspect this year, than in those last several years. Leary has proven most effective when comfortable in the pocket, something we must interrupt.

If you go back and examine the two previous years, UL was playing the game either sick and/or injured. I have absolutely no evidence to confirm one way or another, but there were reports that our roster may have been the victim of some level of food poisoning the night before the game. The one year that Malik Cunningham played with nagging injuries eliminated any chance of our offense being able to sustain success. UK was better in both of those seasons.

If Thrash and Jordan are healthy enough to contribute anywhere close to where they were earlier this season; we will win handily on Saturday. If not, it will be a much closer game, but one where where I still expect we win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT